Epson Tw 6000 +w 8000 And 9000w Owners Thread

• Please log in to reply
1491 replies to this topic

#76 Serentity

Serentity

DTV Forums Member

• 369 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:54 PM

After waiting most of the day for Aus-air post our Xmas present has arrived (Espon-9000w), thank you Mr Post. I might have to open it just to make sure it works (Star trek or Avatar 3D) before putting it under the tree. :D

Now I just need my HT room finished and a screen! B)

Edited by DTV Forum Mod, 20 December 2011 - 06:21 PM.
Edited on request of member

#77 cwt

cwt

DTV Forums Member

• 5,497 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:17 PM

Sorry, should have said I have the TW8000. I have to double check but Im pretty sure 3D defaults to Normal mode to account for the expected brightness drop. Didn't realise you could use the panasonic glasses - thats pretty good. The Epson glasses have an adjustable slider to account for head size so its generally a pretty good fit. It seems like its got one of those flat batteries - dont think you can get rechargeable ones for them? USB charging would be a whole lot better so the Panasonics are ideal - need to go find some as i need two more sets of glasses. Im waiting to borrow avatar from a friend so will report back when i get a chance to view it

Close enough to a 9000 in the important things mate enjoy . Ime sure your right about the lamp since you said that - arts review rings a bell ;) Ive got aa/ aaa rechargeable batteries so there out . Maybe an alkaline will do.. found this;

http://www.epson.com...amp;foid=199263

Maybe the glasses have different serial No's out here ?
Just stumbled across this as well ; now I know why the 2d avatar version is discounted ;finally the exclusive isnt :D popped up on ebay too for $60 average ^_^

http://www.amazon.co...g=5336055023-20

#78 leopard1529

leopard1529

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:48 PM

Hi All,

Thought I might share my experiences and thoughts on my new TW8000 I picked up on Monday.

I'm upgrading from a 2 year old TW3000 and prior to that, a Barco 808 CRT projector.

My first impression was a great big thank you to Epson for leaving the mounting holes in the same postions for this generation of projectors which meant it was only a 30 minute job to take down the 3000 and put up the 8000. Also of note is that the remote control IR codes are the same, so I didn't have to reprogram the Harmony remote for basic funtions like power on/off and menu access.

As for the picture - WOW! - the brightness of the 8000 in its dimmest mode is brighter than the 3000 in Dynamic mode! It is almost too bright! I'm projecting onto a 130" 16:9 screen.

After a quick run through the standard settings and some 2D viewing, I played my recording of the 3D broadcast of the State of Origin NRL from last year and was blown away. I used the inbuilt 2D to 3D conversion mode to take the side by side recording and convert to 3D. The default 3D mode is 3D dynamic, which is stupidly bright without the glasses on, but Epson seems to have compensated well for the darkening effect of the glasses and the resulting picture once the glasses are on is very good. I'd say it's about the same brightness as I used to get from the 3000 in 2D in Cinema mode.

I decided on Tuesday that I needed to get 2 more pairs of glasses so the whole family could watch at once, so a bit of Internet research showed that the Panasonic 2nd and 3rd generation glasses were compatible. As no one seemed to have any extra Epson glasses in stock, and the Panasonics are available in a 3D Starter Pack with 2 pairs of the medium size glasses and the Avatar 3D Blu-ray I thought I'd give it a go. I got them on Tuesday from Bing Lee for $220, which seems pretty good value. The Panasonics are much lighter than the Epsons. They're also somewhat smaller in lens size, and they have a 2D mode so if someone doesn't want to watch in 3D, they can watch in 2D while still wearing the glasses. One caution though, I wear glasses anyway for watching, and the Epsons have enough room to easily fit over the top of my normal glasses. The Panasonics are a tighter fit, so if you have largish lenses on your normal glasses, you might have trouble getting the Panasonics over the top.

So, we've spent all week wathing 3D on it and I'm loving it. So far, in 3D, we've watched Rio, Pirates of the Carribean 4, Lion King and IMAX Space Station. We watched Pirates of the Carribean 4 in 3D in the cinemas and I was disappointed- it was too dark and lacked detail. However, the Epson nailed it and we were all impressed. The IMAX Space Station was very impressive. We haven't watched Avatar yet, that's for tommorrow night.

I can't say enough good things about this projector - the only slight disappointment is that the American models appear to have a panel convergence function which mine doesn't have. I don't know if the 9000's have it.

We have around 30 hours on the lamp now and I'm planning to do some more serious calibration on the weekend, but so far I'm very happy with it.

Phil

#79 :)

:)

DTV Forums Guru

• 31,392 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:41 PM

hi leopard, sounds like another happy owner. and been hitting it hard as well, getting to the 30 hour mark !

good to read feedback for 3D. I only remember seeing the man u 3D demo at the show a fair while back and that was very good. but wihtout huge interest in 3D not something really been pressing to check out. looking through my collection, turns out actually have 3 discs with 3D included so maybe I should give it a go :)

#80 :)

DTV Forums Guru

• 31,392 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:45 PM

QUOTE (cwt @ Dec 16 2011, 09:17 PM)
Close enough to a 9000 in the important things mate enjoy . Ime sure your right about the lamp since you said that - arts review rings a bell style_emoticons/default/wink.gif Ive got aa/ aaa rechargeable batteries so there out . Maybe an alkaline will do.. found this;

Just stumbled across this as well ; now I know why the 2d avatar version is discounted ;finally the exclusive isnt style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif popped up on ebay too for $60 average style_emoticons/default/happy.gif

yes I think the 8000 only misses out on the ISF and thx modes. and wireless mode and the anamorphic squeeze modes. but as a bonus I beleive comes in black ? which would be important to those needing it in that colour. in all other ways pretty much similar to the 9000 and cheaper which also attraction for those wanting to save some bucks style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

crist remember you asking about screen shots from star wars, these ones from phantom menace for you,

IMG_3524.jpg

IMG_3518.jpg

IMG_3514.jpg

style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

#81 cwt

cwt

DTV Forums Member

• 5,497 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:22 AM

yes I think the 8000 only misses out on the ISF and thx modes. and wireless mode and the anamorphic squeeze modes. but as a bonus I beleive comes in black ? which would be important to those needing it in that colour. in all other ways pretty much similar to the 9000 and cheaper which also attraction for those wanting to save some bucks :)

Ive seen a black 6010 Al ;but that was a US model - 9000 equivalent . Its fascinating how they market the equivalent specs in different areas ;) That avatar digipak that leopard sourced was cheaper than the amazon link I just put up . One to keep in mind as it looks like its rechargeable ; my particular glasses are small though.. Just ordered a dvdo duo to feed this pearler .

Whatever version was deemed appropriate for the gb to be honest I would have said yes; more lumens the better [Ime in the next shipment thanks to yorac ]. Reading this 5010 review about the colorimetry ;it may not need much dialling in out of the box ;if your not very fastidious like me ;) with the very close to rec709 mode :)

http://www.displayca...s_epson5010.asp

Edited by cwt, 17 December 2011 - 02:45 AM.

#82 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

DTV Forums Member

• 3,595 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:38 AM

crist remember you asking about screen shots from star wars, these ones from phantom menace for you,

http://www.dtvforum....t...st&id=12731

http://www.dtvforum....t...st&id=12733

http://www.dtvforum....t...st&id=12732

Up early today. Going fishing :). Thanks Al excellent screen shots. If anyone wants to see this projector operate in its element put on Baraka.
We did last night and were all amazed at the clarity and definition on our 110" diagonal anamorphic positioned screen.
Would have to be the best demo to showcase this pj capabilities. Settings for 9000 were THX - IRIS standard and CFI lowest setting everything else at default.

Edited by Crist, 18 December 2011 - 10:08 AM.

#83 Mickp10

Mickp10

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:21 AM

Crist, thanks for putting up the photos of Star Wars, the colours look amazing.

I can't wait for the PM from Yorac next week, with some good news on the TW9000's arriving. And, then to be able to watch Star Wars and Avatar 3D on my 136" 16:9 screen (first time upcoming projector owner, coming from a 9 year old Toshiba 46" 1080i rear projector tv)

#84 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

DTV Forums Member

• 3,595 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 09:00 AM

Crist, thanks for putting up the photos of Star Wars, the colours look amazing.

I can't wait for the PM from Yorac next week, with some good news on the TW9000's arriving. And, then to be able to watch Star Wars and Avatar 3D on my 136" 16:9 screen (first time upcoming projector owner, coming from a 9 year old Toshiba 46" 1080i rear projector tv)

Weather got a bit rough so had to cut our fishing short.
Can't take credit for those pics . Thank Al 4 them. However what you see in Al's photo's is what you get in reality.
You will be definitely pleased with this PJ.

There is a test pattern button on the remote to assist position and focus as well as checking primary colours etc. Very handy to use re focus when watching a film espcially with my pj which is shelf mounted.

Edited by Crist, 17 December 2011 - 09:03 AM.

#85 Serentity

Serentity

DTV Forums Member

• 369 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 09:17 AM

Ive seen a black 6010 Al ;but that was a US model - 9000 equivalent . Its fascinating how they market the equivalent specs in different areas ;) That avatar digipak that leopard sourced was cheaper than the amazon link I just put up . One to keep in mind as it looks like its rechargeable ; my particular glasses are small though.. Just ordered a dvdo duo to feed this pearler .

Whatever version was deemed appropriate for the gb to be honest I would have said yes; more lumens the better [Ime in the next shipment thanks to yorac ]. Reading this 5010 review about the colorimetry ;it may not need much dialling in out of the box ;if your not very fastidious like me ;) with the very close to rec709 mode :)

http://www.displayca...s_epson5010.asp

Cwt,

Are you getting the Dvdo Duo locally or overseas? If overseas can it be shipped directly to you or through a third party?

Where thinking of getting one next year as well, but were not sure if they will post it directly to us.

Thanks.

#86 mark verity

mark verity

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:37 PM

Cwt,

Are you getting the Dvdo Duo locally or overseas? If overseas can it be shipped directly to you or through a third party?

Where thinking of getting one next year as well, but were not sure if they will post it directly to us.

Thanks.

Can I ask how much they cost?

#87 mark verity

mark verity

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:38 PM

Can I ask how much they cost?

Is there any difference in the speed of HDMI cables that may help with lag?

#88 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

DTV Forums Member

• 3,595 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:49 PM

Not long to wait now

Your reward will leave the Epson Australia warehouse today.

Your order is being delivered by Australia Post eParcel which is a traceable service.

Edited by Crist, 18 December 2011 - 12:25 AM.

#89 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

DTV Forums Member

• 3,595 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:51 PM

Is there any difference in the speed of HDMI cables that may help with lag?

Unfortunately will not help to the best of my knowledge.

#90 cwt

cwt

DTV Forums Member

• 5,497 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:24 PM

Cwt,

Are you getting the locally or overseas? If overseas can it be shipped directly to you or through a third party?

Thanks.

Some have bought directly Serentity ;
https://www.paypal.c...33db8e87506be10

I was going to get it from curtpalme but decided to get it locally for warranty as it was only a few hundred more [ they check the serial No's for out of country warranty I was told ?? ] ;customs duty and gst a factor too ;) Have a good relation with the local store so I got it around this price vvv ;just less hassle . I can always add a colourimeter from curt later to really tune it in :) Much better fit for my system than the cary 11v ; 3d passthrough for a start .

http://www.audiotren...D...&itemId=650

#91 Serentity

Serentity

DTV Forums Member

• 369 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:36 PM

Some have bought directly Serentity ;
https://www.paypal.c...33db8e87506be10

I was going to get it from curtpalme but decided to get it locally for warranty as it was only a few hundred more [ they check the serial No's for out of country warranty I was told ?? ] ;customs duty and gst a factor too ;) Have a good relation with the local store so I got it around this price vvv ;just less hassle . I can always add a colourimeter from curt later to really tune it in :) Much better fit for my system than the cary 11v ; 3d passthrough for a start .

http://www.audiotren...D...&itemId=650

Thanks Cwt for info, let us know how it goes.
Its on our long list of items we are thinking of getting for the Ht room. I just need to win Lotto to pay for all of them! :lol:

Edited by Serentity, 17 December 2011 - 06:37 PM.

#92 cwt

cwt

DTV Forums Member

• 5,497 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:29 PM

Thanks Cwt for info, let us know how it goes.
Its on our long list of items we are thinking of getting for the Ht room. I just need to win Lotto to pay for all of them! :lol:

Just noticed the curt palme paypal link timed out mate ;if it did that the duo was initially 1200us ;exchange rate give or take % of course :rolleyes: Will certainly give a few thoughts later -_-

#93 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

DTV Forums Member

• 3,595 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:57 AM

Wow got this in my email today re Star Wars BR full Boxset re Epson 9000w promo

Article Number B6D1078176010223
Consignment Number B6D1078176
Total Articles 1
Date/Time 18.12.11 07:22:45
Current Status Onboard with Driver
Location NETLEY PARCEL DELIVERY CENTRE

That is the quickest promo transaction I have encountered in my entire life. Good on you Epson.
And like I said unlike Pana and Samsung Promo's no charge for postage and handling which makes it sweeter :D

Edited by Crist, 18 December 2011 - 10:01 AM.

#94 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

DTV Forums Member

• 3,595 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:06 AM

Just noticed the curt palme paypal link timed out mate ;if it did that the duo was initially 1200us ;exchange rate give or take % of course :rolleyes: Will certainly give a few thoughts later -_-

Hi CWT and Serenity
Not a gamer my self and I have never tried the option but my DVDO edge has a game mode setting. Wonder if that would suffice Serenity's needs and Edge not as expensive if only seeking the above mentioned feature.

#95 Serentity

Serentity

DTV Forums Member

• 369 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:44 AM

Hi CWT and Serenity
Not a gamer my self and I have never tried the option but my DVDO edge has a game mode setting. Wonder if that would suffice Serenity's needs and Edge not as expensive if only seeking the above mentioned feature.

Thanks Crist for the info.

Our main reason at looking at the DVDO products is for it video processor, up-scaling. I bel the product gives you more of the Wow factor then yr normal blueray player hook up to the projector?? Am I right?

Hopefully the Ht room will have
Yamaha Amp 3010 or Pioneer SC-LX85 (Wish List)
Oppo-93 (Wish list)
Toshiba HD-E1 (Owned)
Aram BDP100 (Owned)

So we are hoping the DVDO products will improve the above mention items, is this correct?
Thanks.

Edited by Serentity, 18 December 2011 - 05:46 PM.

#96 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

DTV Forums Member

• 3,595 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 04:57 PM

Thanks CWT for the info.

Our main reason at looking at the DVDO products is for it video processor, up-scaling. I bel the product gives you more of the Wow factor then yr normal blueray player hook up to the projector?? Am I right?

Hopefully the Ht room will have
Yamaha Amp 3010 or Pioneer SC-LX85 (Wish List)
Oppo-93 (Wish list)
Toshiba HD-E1 (Owned)
Aram BDP100 (Owned)

So we are hoping the DVDO products will improve the above mention items, is this correct?
Thanks.

Hi Serenity I own a Yamaha 3010 which has the latest HQV chip in it. The scaler is great for upscaling vid to 1080p and deinterlacing 1080i vid provided the source sends it at native resolution or res below 1080. The enhancement feature via the AVR is good but when you view just how good the pq is on the pj from br source you will be more than happy in its non doctored form. (PS if you are reading this Steve same goes for the Sony PJ :) )

Edited by Crist, 18 December 2011 - 04:58 PM.

#97 Chicken Man

Chicken Man

DTV Forums Member

• 6,265 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 06:31 PM

You guys are very obviously getting sunburned from the brightness of these new Epson 3D projectors.....from just looking at Crist's avatar. :lol:

C.M

#98 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

DTV Forums Member

• 3,595 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 06:47 PM

You guys are very obviously getting sunburned from the brightness of these new Epson 3D projectors.....from just looking at Crist's avatar. :lol:

C.M

Yum....bbq chicken :lol:

#99 Chicken Man

Chicken Man

DTV Forums Member

• 6,265 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:00 PM

Yum....bbq chicken :lol:

Merry Christmas and have a good one ! Cheers. :D

C.M

#100 redmosquito

redmosquito

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:40 PM

Close enough to a 9000 in the important things mate enjoy . Ime sure your right about the lamp since you said that - arts review rings a bell ;) Ive got aa/ aaa rechargeable batteries so there out . Maybe an alkaline will do.. found this;

Just stumbled across this as well ; now I know why the 2d avatar version is discounted ;finally the exclusive isnt :D popped up on ebay too for $60 average ^_^

Yes i did think hard between the 8000 and 9000, but finally decided for my needs I was happy to forgo the additional benefits of the 9000. I ended up getting the 3D Avatar pack (locally) with the Panasonic glasses, which are very nice indeed - extremely light and the USB charging is great (in my setup I have them connected to the USB ports of my xbox 360 as they are easily accessible and it charges them fine). They are quite a slim fit and as mentioned earlier in this thread would not be suitable for someone with glasses. Naturally, I popped in Avatar which was nothing short of spectacular. It was essentially as I remembered it at IMAX, if not a little better (the colours seem more punchy but I guess that might be related to size of the screen?) There was some noticeable crosstalk in some scenes but once again didnt annoy me. Some of the highlights include the night scenes on the planet with all the colourful insects and plants - really nice. Also where he flies the bird through the hanigng mountains are fantastic. Overall I am really happy with 3D aspect of things - very impressive and although I will still watch a majoirty of 2D material, 3D has definitely got me interested and will look forward to 3D releases. Also, if anyone really wants to test out the 3D they should try the ligt cycle scene in TRON - amazing.