Epson Tw 6000 +w 8000 And 9000w Owners Thread

• Please log in to reply
1491 replies to this topic

#726 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

DTV Forums Member

• 3,595 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:36 PM

will keep tabs bbar, yeah its really not noticeable in drop off so far. will be interesting to see at what point it noticeably dims. still only on the lowest lamp setting as well, so plenty up its sleeve. And I love the light output of this pj has the pop of DLPs so wont hesitate to change bulbs if starts loosing that. bulbs are only $200 odd and relatively easy to swap over so no major headache if something need to do :)

The cost of consumables for this PJ is extremely reasonable. Given the over inflated prices of other manufacturers I am more than pleased :D

#727 Serentity

Serentity

DTV Forums Member

• 370 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:52 PM

just clocked over the 200 hours mark. the 9000 is still turning in a lovely performance :D

have seen some just fantastic movies in the last few months, and watching it with the 9000 only making them all the more enjoyable.

will see if get a chance to check light levels this weekend. theres no visible drop off in light output so far. But keen to measure to see just how much measurable drop off so far. might also give some inkling to rate of drop off typical to this lamp / pj :)

hows everyone else going in hours clocked up ?

Just clock over 115hrs on the Machine.We are loving the PJ nil issues, apart from the Deep colour coming up with a - instead of a number under Info on the PJ menu.
I bel the reason is our AV receiver is Old Tech only 1.3 HDMI and I bel I has it showing a number instead of a - when I hook it up to newer AV...
Overall Highly recommand the PJ to anyone who is looking for one.

Edited by Serentity, 13 April 2012 - 11:57 PM.

#728 bbar

bbar

DTV Forums Member

• 6,893 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

Just clock over 115hrs on the Machine.We are loving the PJ nil issues, apart from the Deep colour coming up with a - instead of a number under Info on the PJ menu.
I bel the reason is our AV receiver is Old Tech only 1.3 HDMI and I bel I has it showing a number instead of a - when I hook it up to newer AV...

HDMI 1.3 supports deep colour

#729 :)

:)

DTV Forums Guru

• 31,392 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:45 AM

upto 220 hours here :)

been watching a few more movies,, both jackie brown and up in the air, just looking lovely on the screen. some quick screen shots below but dont think they really capture how nice it looks !

up in the air

IMG_4023.jpg

IMG_4021.jpg

IMG_4027.jpg

Jackie Brown

IMG_3993.jpg

IMG_3991.jpg

#730 eazymann

eazymann

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:00 AM

Response (Epson Australia) 13/04/2012 05.24 PM Hi ,

Thanks for your email.

Firmware version 1.04 is available for this model. However, due to the propriertary nature of the software tools used, it can only be performed by one of our service agents.
Please provide your suburb and post code in your response to this email. I will refer you to the agent closest to you to do this update.

Regards,

Gehan.

Epson Projector Support.

BOOOOO :hmm:

It seems some people over at AVSForums are sharing the 104 update but the pdf documentation only refers to the US models so that discourages me from doing the update on the tw9000 other 9000 owners though are less concerned and have gone ahead with their updates.

#731 Owen

Owen

DTV Forums Master

• 11,847 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:05 AM

DVD and Bluray dont support "deep colour" so its not an issue.

#732 bbar

bbar

DTV Forums Member

• 6,893 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:20 AM

DVD and Bluray dont support "deep colour" so its not an issue.

true, but it has been known to reduce/eliminate banding on some Blu-rays.

#733 Serentity

Serentity

DTV Forums Member

• 370 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:32 AM

Thanks Bbar and Owen.
I bel the problem is my Amp is older than I thought according to google its uses 1.2a HDMI tech which does not support Deep colour according to HMDI Wiki.

#734 :)

:)

DTV Forums Guru

• 31,392 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:40 PM

It seems some people over at AVSForums are sharing the 104 update but the pdf documentation only refers to the US models so that discourages me from doing the update on the tw9000 other 9000 owners though are less concerned and have gone ahead with their updates.

boo indeed ! but really given am pretty happy with the pj just as it is am not really needing to be zooming out for any update. who knows might be some other upgrade in time in any case. see what comes maybe in 6 months might take mine in. and never know in the mean time they might have a means to user updates. though with some makers its somethign they do shy away from and given the procedure outlined for the moment I probably would rather a service centre do it. :)

Thanks Bbar and Owen.
I bel the problem is my Amp is older than I thought according to google its uses 1.2a HDMI tech which does not support Deep colour according to HMDI Wiki.

I doubt anything to do with that. on mine too it just shows a ' --- ' all I think its indicating is there is no deep color to be displayed as this is not supported by formats we have be it TV / dvd or blu-ray :)

sit back enjoy nothing to be worried about :D

#735 bbar

bbar

DTV Forums Member

• 6,893 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:46 PM

Thanks Bbar and Owen.

Yep not supported on 1.2 and as Owen says - No biggie as nothing is encoded with it.

#736 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

DTV Forums Member

• 3,595 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:18 PM

Given that a service centre has been designated as the only service point authorised to do the update on your PJ then you are playing with fire with the possibility of voiding your warranty should another issue arises on the PJ. Remember Epson Australia have access to confirmation that your update was done by an authorised Service centre as they are billed accordingly and serial numbers for works undertaken are entered on the works order.

Edited by MRCRIST, 15 April 2012 - 12:48 AM.

#737 eazymann

eazymann

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:29 PM

Given that a service centre has been designated as the only service point authorised to do the update on your PJ then you are playing with fire with the possibility of voiding your warranty should another issue arises on the PJ. Remember Epson Australia have access to confirmation that your update was done by an authorised Service centre as they are billed accordingly and serial numbers for works undertaken is entered on the works order.

Good point, I think I will wait and see what happens who know maybe Epson will release it to owners eventually.

#738 mrol

mrol

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:46 PM

318 hours up so far. Mostly set to THX Eco for movies, games and TV but footy in Living Room non-Eco mode.

Still looks as good as it started but I don't have any quantitative measures.

I find myself using the big screen when the TV would be OK.

Not really concerned as the expected lamp life is long and lamp cost is very reasonable.

The wireless transmitter works perfectly even when people walk past the unit. Only cutouts have been when my wife stood in front of it wearing a long dress.

The projector is lots of fun and my only concern is that on Friday nights I have to watch the NRL on 9 in SD if I want to see it live. Why should I have to put up with such bad quality when I pay for HD PayTV sports? The next NRL contract negotiations better look after fans with big TVs or projectors.

#739 Owen

Owen

DTV Forums Master

• 11,847 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:05 PM

true, but it has been known to reduce/eliminate banding on some Blu-rays.

Have ever seen banding on a good display with Bluray source, must be some crap players and/or displays out there.

All good displays convert to 10bit or more internally so picture adjustments can be performed without rounding errors. I would not want the player altering the source in any way.

Edited by Owen, 14 April 2012 - 10:06 PM.

#740 cwt

cwt

DTV Forums Member

• 5,503 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:02 AM

Have ever seen banding on a good display with Bluray source, must be some crap players and/or displays out there.

All good displays convert to 10bit or more internally so picture adjustments can be performed without rounding errors. I would not want the player altering the source in any way.

Its a popular topic in the avs oppo threads Owen ;the next quote vv is something Bob Pariseau has covered ad infinitum it seems ; its also covered in some depth in the oppo 83 wiki including possible banding or no ;)

The extra bits (color depth) available in the HDMI 1.3 Deep Color mode are used to preserve the precision of calculation. For example, any time color up-sampling, color space conversion, brightness and contrast adjustment, and other video processing is applied to the 8-bit/channel signal, the result can have fractions. In an 8-bit system the fractions are truncated, but in the Deep Color mode the fractions are preserved so the data delivered to the display is more accurate.

I like to err on the safe side with a higher bit -10 or 12 ; its all going through the qdeo chip and if it went instead through my dvdo duo [its not atm] at 10bit processing anyway ; then the colour space ;CMS etc could be changed

http://wiki.oppodigi...83_Features_FAQ

#741 Owen

Owen

DTV Forums Master

• 11,847 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:06 PM

You don't get posterization (colour banding) problems on high quality displays even with low quality source, so unprocessed raw 8bit off the disk works as good as anything.

If the display is less than best external 10bit up conversion may be helpful.

#742 bbar

bbar

DTV Forums Member

• 6,893 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:19 AM

You don't get posterization (colour banding) problems on high quality displays even with low quality source, so unprocessed raw 8bit off the disk works as good as anything.

If the display is less than best external 10bit up conversion may be helpful.

Not sure you are looking at the complete picture! ...Lol

If display receives a banded image stream then it will display it which is the gist of the topics I thought. Does not matter how good the display is.

I seem to remember that all players decode what is on disc regardless and If the player truncates the video then banding could occur.

Having a brain fart but memory says player converts 4:2:0 to 4:2:2 as a minimum and can also provide 4:4:4 or RGB colour space. I think also it converts then decides what processing it will do if any.

#743 cwt

cwt

DTV Forums Member

• 5,503 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

No ones mentioned this with their oppo's but if you have an issue with handshake lock ons this will help

http://www.avsforum....60#post21911160

#744 Owen

Owen

DTV Forums Master

• 11,847 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:36 PM

If display receives a banded image stream then it will display it which is the gist of the topics I thought. Does not matter how good the display is.

Its not that simple mate. Projectors and TV's are not like PC monitors, they all “process” the incoming video and some do a much better job than others. One display can show obvious banding while another will show non at all with the exact same input data. The display technology seems to have some influence on performance as well.

I seem to remember that all players decode what is on disc regardless and If the player truncates the video then banding could occur.

I'm not sure the decode performance of all players is equal but once decoded the player should output exactly what it decoded and thats 8bit 4:2:0. There is no need to do anything else unless the player is doing some sort of picture adjustment like brightness, contrast, colour, gamma etc.
Some players my discard below black (0-16) and above white (235-255) data but that does not affect the video range of 16-235.
Unless the player can do a better job of colour upconverting than the display its should do nothing as up converting in the player could negate better quality processing in the display or stand alone video processor and result in worse performance.
In general players should play not process.

Having a brain fart but memory says player converts 4:2:0 to 4:2:2 as a minimum and can also provide 4:4:4 or RGB colour space. I think also it converts then decides what processing it will do if any.

All modern displays convert 8bit 4:2:0 to 10bit or greater RGB for processing and display, no advantage in doing this externally if the display does this well, performance could be degraded.

#745 bbar

bbar

DTV Forums Member

• 6,893 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

Its not that simple mate. Projectors and TV's are not like PC monitors, they all “process” the incoming video and some do a much better job than others. One display can show obvious banding while another will show non at all with the exact same input data. The display technology seems to have some influence on performance as well.

I'm not sure the decode performance of all players is equal but once decoded the player should output exactly what it decoded and thats 8bit 4:2:0. There is no need to do anything else unless the player is doing some sort of picture adjustment like brightness, contrast, colour, gamma etc.
Some players my discard below black (0-16) and above white (235-255) data but that does not affect the video range of 16-235.
Unless the player can do a better job of colour upconverting than the display its should do nothing as up converting in the player could negate better quality processing in the display or stand alone video processor and result in worse performance.
In general players should play not process.

All modern displays convert 8bit 4:2:0 to 10bit or greater RGB for processing and display, no advantage in doing this externally if the display does this well, performance could be degraded.

Fully agree but I believe all players do it as HDMI requires 4:2:2 as minimum so all players decode to 4:2:2 as a minimum and most video passes through chips like ABT and the Reon in the players.

#746 Owen

Owen

DTV Forums Master

• 11,847 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:04 PM

HDMI is just a digital pipeline that will pass whatever it is given, it seems silly to process video when its not necessary and could be destructive.
I'm glad I dont use a disk player, never have and probably never will.

#747 cwt

cwt

DTV Forums Member

• 5,503 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:44 AM

If you want to nail things like ycbcr or rgb colourspace options and want to go beyond the spears & munsil test disc Serentity a copy of Ratatouille will help :)
As has been said though no deepcolour with bd's . If you want to see an expanded colour gamut - true ''deep colour'' you need a xvycc enabled camcorder

http://www.avsforum....78#post19915778

#748 Serentity

Serentity

DTV Forums Member

• 370 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:21 PM

If you want to nail things like ycbcr or rgb colourspace options and want to go beyond the spears & munsil test disc Serentity a copy of Ratatouille will help :)
As has been said though no deepcolour with bd's . If you want to see an expanded colour gamut - true ''deep colour'' you need a xvycc enabled camcorder

http://www.avsforum....78#post19915778

Thanks Cwt for the Info. I have to get myself a copy of that movie, It might help if I finally make up my mind what screen I'n going to buy,as at this stage were still using the Black wall as a screen. Which looks pretty good for 160inch screen size! (4m wall)

#749 HDobsession

HDobsession

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:42 AM

Hi guys. Is anyone having a squeaking issue with their Tw9000w? Its driving me nuts. I think its the iris making high pitched squeaks when going from light to dark scenes. I think I'm going to see about a swap. Sounds like it needs some WD40!!!

#750 simonv

simonv

DTV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:31 PM

Does any one know if the software update will fix lag issue for gaming

Edited by simonv, 22 April 2012 - 12:31 PM.