Epson Tw 6000 +w 8000 And 9000w Owners Thread

• Please log in to reply
1492 replies to this topic

#51 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

AV Forum Member

• 3,595 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:54 PM

Thanks so much Crist & Al for all of the info. Have loved reading your feedback re the 9000.

I am currently way down in the GB queue that yorac is organising & can't wait made even worse thanks to you two guys!!!

This will be my first ever PJ. I have my dream batcave 80% completed (7 x 4.5m approx) and was really curious now that you have had your new toy for a week or so how you were finding the manual zoom & focus & the fan noise in normal mode? Is it bothering you at all switching btw 16:9 & 2:35:1? If not could you explain (to a newbie at this) what is involved in this process?

Cheers & thanks again for your insight & brilliant screen shots. I just don't know how I can wait till January!!

Thanks for the positive feedback.
The manual focus is controlled by a large wheel on top of the projector. Once set it should be ok but if cleaning or moving the pj it needs to be adjusted again. Your eyes will tell you when it is sharp. I normally keep going until the picture looks soft and the slowly back off using the abovementioned wheel and stop as soon as it looks sharp again.
The fan noise in eco mode is not loud at all and does not distract me. I sit approx less than a metre away from the pj.
I have used the faster fan speed and it is noisy. sounds like the fan noise on an older pc. I prefer not ot use it. However the sound level is no different to any of my past pj's in the higher fan mode so it is not just an epson thing at all.
Not bothering re change of screen aspect. If you set the pj to project at 16:9 at all time then when anamorphic pic appears you get the black bars like you do on your tv. Because the anamorphic pic is so large and the black bars are very dark it doesn't bother me .
I t all depends on how accessible your pj is if you want to use the zoom to blow the image up to fill a larger 16:9 aspect screen.
I have done it and it is painless. With most movies in anamorphic aspect you will find 16:9 adjustments to be far and few between for it to be annoying.
Panasonic solution is ideal but people still complain about the wait time when it changes aspect.

Edited by Crist, 14 December 2011 - 03:58 PM.

#52 :)

:)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:02 PM

~

This will be my first ever PJ. I have my dream batcave 80% completed (7 x 4.5m approx) and was really curious now that you have had your new toy for a week or so how you were finding the manual zoom & focus & the fan noise in normal mode? Is it bothering you at all switching btw 16:9 & 2:35:1? If not could you explain (to a newbie at this) what is involved in this process?

Cheers & thanks again for your insight & brilliant screen shots. I just don't know how I can wait till January!!

the manual zoom and focus is really not an issue. in some ways tactile feel and fine adjustment is better done manually. but then I'm a digital slr camera user for instance who hates mechanically driven zooms and such ! besides its the kind of thing for me done once. get it right and not something going to be playing with. so rather not pay for auto driven zoom and focus and shift frankly :)

fan noise is audibly quite noticeable in Normal power no getting away from it. ECO setting is very quiet. depends how locked into the movie your watching and if listening out for noises. I'm mainly using the ECO mode so fan noise really not a huge bother for me.

I use a 16:9 screen so dont have to switch between 16:9 and 2.35:1 and dont use a lens. I did try out for vierra what is involved and it just the matter of using the aspect button to select what you require.

dont know how your going to wait till january either ! :D

hope helps :)

#53 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:20 PM

have had a few ask as to what mount am using for my 9000,

I use the wall mount version of the peerless precision gear mount here,
http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/B000TXNS6G

and this would be most suitable for a ceiling mount where want to setup pretty close to the ceiling.

with mine wall mounted I use this version here which can work as either flush ceiling/extended ceiling or wall mount.
http://www.bhphotovi...iling_Wall.html

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B001GENEWK

for the money $100 or so plus shipping and given the fine adjustment it allows for setup, I really do think it is pretty hard to beat !

ps these mounts come in black, white or silver so all bases covered :)

#54 AaA1

AaA1

AV Forum Member

• 6 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:18 PM

have had a few ask as to what mount am using for my 9000,

I use the wall mount version of the peerless precision gear mount here,
http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/B000TXNS6G

I ordered one of them.

#55 mark verity

mark verity

AV Forum Member

• 46 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:32 PM

have resisted posting as dont want to come across as a gloat since might be one of the few thats got one, anyways its misfortune with a problematic 5500 that brings me here to a 9000. Perhaps some points of perspective in the move to this pj might help someone,

some unboxing pics, its very well packed, and epson has a neat lift out handle system on the sides that makes easy to take the projector out.
http://www.dtvforum....t...st&id=12623

accesories box, you get a lot of little things with this projector, hdmi cable, wireless hd unit, which is quite small. and two 3D glasses. plus a manual on cd and a bit of other documentation and paraphernalia
http://www.dtvforum....t...st&id=12624

the mount positions are exactly the same as my previous 5500, so just a case of screwing straight on to my mount bracket.
http://www.dtvforum....t...st&id=12625

this is it mounted in position
http://www.dtvforum....t...st&id=12626
http://www.dtvforum....t...st&id=12627

the pj itself is quite smart looking, a bit beefier than the 5500. I'm sure some bummed by the white casing, but for me in my lounge room setting its very welcome. As am sure it will be similarly for those putting in typical home setup of white walls and ceilings where often projectors like these end up. My wife gives a strong approval for it, even on this basis.

Switch on is a delayed affair. not instant. I think it fires up its fan etc, and as warms up it comes to life. slight delay and its good to go. the 12V trigger is also as a result a little delayed in its reaction as well. Am sure this is overall for protection of the lamp. So all good. The motorised lens protector sliding open as it kicks into action is very cool !

setup is just as 5500 was, so for me it wasnt a case of even looking to the manual. just a case of using the manual adjusters on the casing for horizontal shift, vertical shift, zoom and focus. And going into the menu to select for front ceiling installation.

By default it is on thx and with eco power and iris to off.

the projector is very quiet on eco. the fan does ramp up a bit and noisier when set on normal.

I did a quick run through with familiar material. played around with iris in auto and high speed. plus also power in eco vs normal and between thx and cinema modes.

What I am very pleased about is this pj is everything the epson 5500 was before and more. A good thing as was very pleased with the performance of the 5500 and wouldnt have wanted a step back.

cinema and eco with iris in auto has quite some vibrancy to the screen. thx and eco and iris off is cool in look, moving to thx and normal power with iris off brings a bit more pop and warmth to the picture, though with a bit more fan noise.

I ended up watching source code blu-ray last night and overall extremely pleased with what the 9000 capable off. the natural look, the colour balance, sharpness, detail etc.
after viewing the movie, my wife happened to put on the two small lamps we have located behind line of the pj screen and we switched to some fta TV, with friends in HD going on. I was quite suprised that there was hardly any impact to the image on the screen. a clear indicator to the the light output from this pj. this thing can light up a screen like one big plasma ! :D

today havent had as much of time to play with it. but watched a bit more this time just some more fta tv. and can say it works very well in that role.

shut down of the pj is not instant either, it takes its time, no doubt to cool the lamp down gradually. and yes the 12V is also suitably delayed as it powers down.

anyways just some early thoughts from me, look forward to hearing from others that might have picked this up. keen to hear how they find it :)

I like the mount where can I get one? or one similar if I go with that option instead of some box shelf on the rear wall, possible hush vent box??
nice set up there glad you and everyone else is happy with the performance so far

#56 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

AV Forum Member

• 3,595 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:07 AM

Not long now for my Star Wars BR pack

You have entered your claim 8/12/2011 6:41:00 PM You have successfully completed the first part of the Claim process by entering your details online.
Claim Form & Proof of Purchased Received 14/12/2011 10:53:00 AM Your proof of purchase has been received and your claim has been successfully validated
Claim Processed 15/12/2011 9:35:00 AM An order has been created for your bonus. It will be dispatched shortly.
An automated email will be sent to you once dispatched.

Unlike other promo's postage and handling is free which makes this even better :D

Edited by Crist, 15 December 2011 - 10:09 AM.

#57 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

AV Forum Member

• 3,595 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:14 PM

Update:

Your reward will leave the Epson Australia warehouse today.

Your order is being delivered by Australia Post eParcel which is a traceable service.
Track the following items

Will have it b4 Xmas. nice pressy :D

Gee that was quick!

#58 Quark

Quark

AV Forum Member

• 3,537 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:42 PM

Update:

Your reward will leave the Epson Australia warehouse today.

Your order is being delivered by Australia Post eParcel which is a traceable service.
Track the following items

Will have it b4 Xmas. nice pressy :D

Gee that was quick!

That's a shining example of a promo redemption and a great job by Epson! :)

#59 709er

709er

AV Forum Member

• 3,612 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 04:49 PM

Has anybody had a look at the 3D side of this baby yet?

#60 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 04:56 PM

I like the mount where can I get one? or one similar if I go with that option instead of some box shelf on the rear wall, possible hush vent box??
nice set up there glad you and everyone else is happy with the performance so far

mark, check the posts just above yours, have listed the mount in question.

hi 709, crist posted back some impressions here
http://www.dtvforum....&...t&p=1765879

not something explored as yet myself :)

#61 709er

709er

AV Forum Member

• 3,612 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 05:06 PM

Hi 709, crist posted back some impressions here

Thanks Al.
I did read crists post, but....no disrespect intended, I could not possibly rely on my children to rate the quality of any projected image, They think that there is no difference between DVD and Blu Ray :o :lol:

#62 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 05:11 PM

Thanks Al.
I did read crists post, but....no disrespect intended, I could not possibly rely on my children to rate the quality of any projected image, They think that there is no difference between DVD and Blu Ray :o :lol:

:lol: I dont think my kids be much help either :D

#63 redmosquito

redmosquito

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:06 PM

I have to say, im pretty impressed with this PJ - the 2D is exceptional as accurately described by Al and Crist. I've only had a brief play with 3D, playing TRON Legacy and am really impressed. I have to admit I've only really experienced 3D watching Avatar at IMAX, but the Epson is really quite something. The glasses seem pretty comfortable and although I only watched for about 30min I was pretty immersed in the picture. I didnt feel the picture was too dark and there was minimal cross talk on some panning shots - nothing that was annoying. I will have to try some other 3D stuff out to form a better opinion, but I like what I see so far...

#64 cwt

cwt

AV Forum Member

• 5,669 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:43 PM

I have to say, im pretty impressed with this PJ - the 2D is exceptional as accurately described by Al and Crist. I've only had a brief play with 3D, playing TRON Legacy and am really impressed. I have to admit I've only really experienced 3D watching Avatar at IMAX, but the Epson is really quite something. The glasses seem pretty comfortable and although I only watched for about 30min I was pretty immersed in the picture. I didnt feel the picture was too dark and there was minimal cross talk on some panning shots - nothing that was annoying. I will have to try some other 3D stuff out to form a better opinion, but I like what I see so far...

Yours is epson No 3 of the 4 out there redmossie afaik. Did you run eco mode for 3d or need to bump the lamp up to normal ? It sounds very good as IMAX 3d is usually superior to the local cinema from what I gather.

I like the fact that s/m/l panasonic glasses can be used - same standard- if the epsons are too big ? Do they take rechargeable batteries [if those come in such a size :huh: ]; cant plug in a usb cable it seems ? Have to get something better than piranha 3d methinks ; Res evil and Drive angry are in the amazon uk basket ;bargains :)

#65 mark verity

mark verity

AV Forum Member

• 46 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:22 PM

mark, check the posts just above yours, have listed the mount in question.

hi 709, crist posted back some impressions here

I might be looking in the wrong spot but I only seen the ceiling mount not the wall mount

#66 cwt

cwt

AV Forum Member

• 5,669 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 04:17 AM

I might be looking in the wrong spot but I only seen the ceiling mount not the wall mount

Looks like its capable of a 90 degree wall tilt mark ;)

http://www.bhphotovi...iling_Wall.html

#67 redmosquito

redmosquito

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:24 AM

Sorry, should have said I have the TW8000. I have to double check but Im pretty sure 3D defaults to Normal mode to account for the expected brightness drop. Didn't realise you could use the panasonic glasses - thats pretty good. The Epson glasses have an adjustable slider to account for head size so its generally a pretty good fit. It seems like its got one of those flat batteries - dont think you can get rechargeable ones for them? USB charging would be a whole lot better so the Panasonics are ideal - need to go find some as i need two more sets of glasses. Im waiting to borrow avatar from a friend so will report back when i get a chance to view it

Yours is epson No 3 of the 4 out there redmossie afaik. Did you run eco mode for 3d or need to bump the lamp up to normal ? It sounds very good as IMAX 3d is usually superior to the local cinema from what I gather.

I like the fact that s/m/l panasonic glasses can be used - same standard- if the epsons are too big ? Do they take rechargeable batteries [if those come in such a size :huh: ]; cant plug in a usb cable it seems ? Have to get something better than piranha 3d methinks ; Res evil and Drive angry are in the amazon uk basket ;bargains :)

#68 janadamu

janadamu

AV Forum Member

• 12 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:31 AM

Thanks for the positive feedback.
The manual focus is controlled by a large wheel on top of the projector. Once set it should be ok but if cleaning or moving the pj it needs to be adjusted again. Your eyes will tell you when it is sharp. I normally keep going until the picture looks soft and the slowly back off using the abovementioned wheel and stop as soon as it looks sharp again.
The fan noise in eco mode is not loud at all and does not distract me. I sit approx less than a metre away from the pj.
I have used the faster fan speed and it is noisy. sounds like the fan noise on an older pc. I prefer not ot use it. However the sound level is no different to any of my past pj's in the higher fan mode so it is not just an epson thing at all.
Not bothering re change of screen aspect. If you set the pj to project at 16:9 at all time then when anamorphic pic appears you get the black bars like you do on your tv. Because the anamorphic pic is so large and the black bars are very dark it doesn't bother me .
I t all depends on how accessible your pj is if you want to use the zoom to blow the image up to fill a larger 16:9 aspect screen.
I have done it and it is painless. With most movies in anamorphic aspect you will find 16:9 adjustments to be far and few between for it to be annoying.
Panasonic solution is ideal but people still complain about the wait time when it changes aspect.

Cheers Crist & Al for your replies to my queries. I am very new at this Forum thing & you guys are turning me into an 'addict'!! Your insight is like gold to me. Role on January!!

#69 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

AV Forum Member

• 3,595 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:36 AM

Cheers Crist & Al for your replies to my queries. I am very new at this Forum thing & you guys are turning me into an 'addict'!! Your insight is like gold to me. Role on January!!

Always happy to help new/and established people on this forum :)

Edited by Crist, 16 December 2011 - 11:36 AM.

#70 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:13 AM

Sorry, should have said I have the TW8000. I have to double check but Im pretty sure 3D defaults to Normal mode to account for the expected brightness drop. Didn't realise you could use the panasonic glasses - thats pretty good. The Epson glasses have an adjustable slider to account for head size so its generally a pretty good fit. It seems like its got one of those flat batteries - dont think you can get rechargeable ones for them? USB charging would be a whole lot better so the Panasonics are ideal - need to go find some as i need two more sets of glasses. Im waiting to borrow avatar from a friend so will report back when i get a chance to view it

congrats red mos look forward to reading further how your finding the 8000 in use :)

#71 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

AV Forum Member

• 3,595 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:23 PM

congrats red mos look forward to reading further how your finding the 8000 in use :)

+1

Looking forward to read impressions fom an "adults" perspective

#72 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

AV Forum Member

• 3,595 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:27 PM

Thanks Al.
They think that there is no difference between DVD and Blu Ray :o :lol:

Well that says sums it up. We strive for better blacks improved clarity X talk reduction and fuss over CFI and non availability of AI in 3d mode and nobody notices or gives a rats toss bag but us :rolleyes:
:lol:

#73 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:42 PM

hit the 30 hr mark

thought I'd take some measurements :)

used the white screen from disney WOW disc. to check light output measured at screen one measurement at top left diagonal and one at middle for various picture mode selections.

Dynamic 44 - 45 fc

Living room 34 - 42 fc

Natural 12 - 15 fc

Cinema 12 - 15 fc

THX eco 12 - 13 fc

THX normal 15 - 19 fc

keeping in mind these just the raw measurements have to use the multiplying factor of screen gain which in most case 1-1.2x

I did some measurements at 0 hours and no perceivable change since then. will use these as a reference and check again at 50 and 100 hour mark :)

#74 Mickp10

Mickp10

AV Forum Member

• 47 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 04:31 PM

""keeping in mind these just the raw measurements have to use the multiplying factor of screen gain which in most case 1-1.2x""

:) - Thanks for your update, what size screen are you using?

Thanks

#75 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 04:36 PM

""keeping in mind these just the raw measurements have to use the multiplying factor of screen gain which in most case 1-1.2x""

:) - Thanks for your update, what size screen are you using?

Thanks

92" 16:9 :)