Epson Tw 6000 +w 8000 And 9000w Owners Thread

• Please log in to reply
1491 replies to this topic

#576 Owen

Owen

DTV Forums Master

• 11,843 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:10 PM

I purchased a new video card for my HTPC to support 3D, what a waste of timer that was, 3D is a bad joke.

#577 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

DTV Forums Member

• 3,595 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:25 PM

I purchased a new video card for my HTPC to support 3D, what a waste of timer that was, 3D is a bad joke.

Might be your video card Owen.

#578 cwt

cwt

DTV Forums Member

• 5,496 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:21 AM

l'd be interested too ,, l used it plugged into my WDTV live today to send a 3D H SBS version of Avatar to the pj , that worked no worries , but it probably has'nt the bandwidth of a full 3D BD either l'd imagine .

Its a lot more robust than normal wifi ken and epson promote it as 3d ready and ''full hd'' meaning 1080p . found this at proj reviews ;

in basic terms you plug a HDMI lead into the transmitter and you get a lag free Full High Definition image. Full HD 1080P in 2D or 3D without having to run pesky cables."

Will be interesting with a 1080p/60 3d signal I imagine ;its 20 times faster than wifi though.. The ps3 can handle lossless with 3d now I should add but theres much better standalone player value now as Al says . And it doesnt have a 2nd hdmi output so for all intents its still restricted to lossy in any case :nuke:

#579 Brookmeyer

Brookmeyer

DTV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:19 AM

If you run hdmi directly to the pj you need to use the ps3's optical output to your amplifier for sound, what interested me was that the ps3 should see the epson transmitter as a normal hdmi cable which it doesn't (for 3d) . A physical cable to the pj from the ps3 works for 3d without issue.

#580 ken s

ken s

DTV Forums Member

• 390 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:47 AM

Thanks guys , yes it appeared to be a good connection with the SBS 3D , l'm very happy so far :)

Hey did you guys get a burning plastic smell when you first used the pj ?
I presume it was a sticker on the globe / housing ?

#581 backer

backer

DTV Forums Member

• 7 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:54 AM

I've had my 9000W for a week now and yesterday I decided to try the auto-iris option. I had it turned off for most of the week. I put it on "normal".
Watching watching some 2D material for about 1 hr and then I switched to 3D for approx 5 mins, as the projector was switching back from 3D to 2D mode, I exited the player from the PS3 back to the XMB, since the projector takes a few secs to resync for 2D I ejected the disc and turned off the PS3 before the projected had finsihed (making its noises). Anyway I received the message "auto iris error contact epson".

The fan went into overdrive mode. I pressed stanby (twice) and it went off, leaving the fan and two flashing red (i think). After the fan stopped I turned the power off from the mains switch. Waited about a minute and then turn the power back on. It seems fine now.

Has anyone had this problem, I am not sure if it's was a "once off" or if I should call epson. I have read some users complaints in other forums of experiencing a simular problem. If it goes away should I just forget about it?

#582 Brookmeyer

Brookmeyer

DTV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:56 AM

"Hey did you guys get a burning plastic smell when you first used the pj ?"

Yeh, turned out it was my credtit card............................

#583 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

DTV Forums Member

• 3,595 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:26 AM

Thanks guys , yes it appeared to be a good connection with the SBS 3D , l'm very happy so far :)

Hey did you guys get a burning plastic smell when you first used the pj ?
I presume it was a sticker on the globe / housing ?

No
burning smell with mine.

Edited by Crist, 08 March 2012 - 09:26 AM.

#584 ken s

ken s

DTV Forums Member

• 390 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:57 AM

Lol , yeah mt CC is glowing too :).

The burning smell didn't last long. , lve heard people mention it with some jvc's after a globe replacement , hopefully the fumes don't effect anything as jvc's prism can be affected by fumes , don't know about the topology affect on LCD

#585 :)

:)

DTV Forums Guru

• 31,392 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:55 AM

about the only smell I had when got it new was when first use it you get the kind of electronic smell you get when using a brand new PC or electronics in the first day or so. that all.

guys any concerns with the pj I would give epson support a call or drop em a line via the website online assistance theyre pretty good. also I havent hessitated in the past if wondering about something to drop unit off at service centre to get checked out. our local one anyways more than happy to check any fault warnings or anything like that .even while you wait of nothing major. often in shut down these things tend to reset themselves in anycase. but no harm checking for peace of mind :)

#586 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

DTV Forums Member

• 3,595 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:05 PM

Just an update on my Projector.

I phoned the Epson service centre here in Adelaide. I was told that THX setting pic looks very washed out and the colours look unnatural.
I told the guy that is exactly what I'm seeing as well and it shouldn't look that way.
THX on the 9000 gives a rich almost pop to the pic when working to spec. He said he is going to call Epson head office and look at the options. He predicts that if it is the light engine then it would probably mean replacement rather than repair .

#587 cwt

cwt

DTV Forums Member

• 5,496 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:06 PM

Way to go Crist insist on it if possible ; reset those lamp hours :phone:

Ive always detected a smell with my projectors :sick: once the lamp warms up but the epson is much milder than the sony was - no vents around the sides I like to think :ermm:

don't know about the topology affect on LCD

Hopefully the epsons light path is completely sealed iirc ;not like the last pana 2d model :no:

#588 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

DTV Forums Member

• 3,595 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:59 PM

Ive always detected a smell with my projectors :sick: once the lamp warms up but the epson is much milder than the sony was - no vents around the sides I like to think :ermm:

Mmmm..love the smell of burning projector in the morning....it gives me a sense of................ Victory.....

#589 cwt

cwt

DTV Forums Member

• 5,496 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:18 PM

Mmmm..love the smell of burning projector in the morning....it gives me a sense of................ Victory.....

:angel: :D

#590 ken s

ken s

DTV Forums Member

• 390 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:52 AM

I might give Epson a ring soon to make sure it wasn't an issue , the pj seems fine

#591 Vieira4

Vieira4

DTV Forums Member

• 1,535 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:15 AM

Hopefully the epsons light path is completely sealed iirc ;not like the last pana 2d model :no:

I think by design LCD PJs are not a sealed light path, thus the dust filter and the maintenance of it. DLP are a sealed light path.

#592 Brookmeyer

Brookmeyer

DTV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:53 AM

Just an update on my Projector.

I phoned the Epson service centre here in Adelaide. I was told that THX setting pic looks very washed out and the colours look unnatural.
I told the guy that is exactly what I'm seeing as well and it shouldn't look that way.
THX on the 9000 gives a rich almost pop to the pic when working to spec. He said he is going to call Epson head office and look at the options. He predicts that if it is the light engine then it would probably mean replacement rather than repair .

Can you let us all know what happens with this, I would like to think THX mode looks "natural" on my projector but everyone else whom looks at it says it's washed out also. After watching an LCD TV with colours jumping out at you I can see how that conclusion would be made. I think skin tones in THX mode are excellent with all other colours being how things look when I look out the window.

Can you describe the unnatural colours you are seeing.

#593 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

DTV Forums Member

• 3,595 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:17 AM

Can you let us all know what happens with this, I would like to think THX mode looks "natural" on my projector but everyone else whom looks at it says it's washed out also. After watching an LCD TV with colours jumping out at you I can see how that conclusion would be made. I think skin tones in THX mode are excellent with all other colours being how things look when I look out the window.

Can you describe the unnatural colours you are seeing.

It is only because I was so impressed with the THX setting on the 9000 that made me realise there was something wrong.
The colours look really washed out and it appears like "Sepia" colour effect. The screen looks like someone turned on the headlights at the Drive in.
If you are old enough you will know exactly what I'm talking about. For those still scratching their heads it looks like your watching the movie with a fluoro on in the room.

#594 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

DTV Forums Member

• 3,595 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:41 AM

Update on my Projector:

Just got a call from the service centre. They confirmed it is the light engine. They have ordered a new light engine and PJ will hopefully be back home soon :)
Surprised they didn't replace it with a new one but given my low hours on it it really makes no difference. I do prefer to keep the one i've got.

Also unlike the Sony this PJ will be getting a lot more play time given my recent experience.

I'm very impressed with the Epson service centre package so far.

Edited by Crist, 09 March 2012 - 10:00 AM.

#595 :)

:)

DTV Forums Guru

• 31,392 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:52 AM

excellent news crist. hopefully back in the system soon, good happy wiht the service, as these things do happen unfortunately. but how dealt with the important thing. Sounds like you have a good service centre as we do in melb. hopefully the light engine in stock otherwise can imagine a bit of wait but hopefully not too long ! :)

#596 Vieira4

Vieira4

DTV Forums Member

• 1,535 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:07 AM

Crist hopefully they fix it once and for all. Seems Epson's quality control isn't at its peak of late.

#597 mark verity

mark verity

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:58 PM

I have spoken again to the retailer after they contacted Epson and they will be organising a courior to pick up the TW9000w and send it to Epson service center in Sydney to have the issues confirmed and if its a (hardware) fault they will organise a DOA if not it will be repaired and sent back to me.
This could take up to a week I have been told :no:
So I have organised this to be done when I am back at work next week!
I will let you guys know how it all go's fingers crossed :unsure:

Well The faulty unit was sent to Sydney which took 4 days to arrive as some transport issue held up the supposed 1 to 2 day arrival.
They found that yes the HV shift was excessively loose which I realized myself after receiving the replacement. Gehan the service manager at Sydney confirmed the blur/convergence issue and even spoke of possible adjustment but after finding another issue with wireless and the HDMI 1 imput that failed he authorized a DOA but I had to chase that up say no more!!
But I traveled to Melbourne to view a replacement before excepting one and found that I indeed did have a loose HV shift. I played with 2 units to check all possible problems and found them to be faultless EXCEPT for the pixel alignment which was much better than my first faulty unit but both had some misconvergence which I could only briefly observe with the test pattern and a couple of other test pattern the retailer displayed. I took home the best of the 2 and after checking further and hoping a possible LCD alignment would get it Mickey mouse I found the green to be 2 to 3 pixels wide on one side of the screen and red and blue to be a couple of pixels away from green mostly on the same side. Even doing multiples of 8 they are not as sharp as left in the original possition so when looking closer at a white screen I can see red pixels surrounding the white and there is some red green and blue blur to the sides of white text which I can see at viewing distance. Now knowing that the LCD panels are more prone to this I am not too fussy. But it does dissappoint me and I do want to see the potential of this machine without this issue. I contacted Gehan at Sydney who has explained the exceptable tolerances with these and that a replacement would not be feasable but can attempt an adjustment???? Or a refund. I asked that if he is confident in an improvement I would be stoked with that! So I am waiting for a reply but without them viewing it first and subject to the actual possibility of adjusting it mechanically ( not software ) I am not to confident and hate having to be without it for a couple of weeks for them to say sorry that's the best we can do.

#598 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

DTV Forums Member

• 3,595 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

excellent news crist. hopefully back in the system soon, good happy wiht the service, as these things do happen unfortunately. but how dealt with the important thing. Sounds like you have a good service centre as we do in melb. hopefully the light engine in stock otherwise can imagine a bit of wait but hopefully not too long ! :)

Hi Al

Told if not in stock it is highly likely will replace with a new kit to avoid delays. Either way I was told should have a 9000 this time next week or early part of the following week.

Will wait and see. Yes it has been fairly painless :)

Stop Press. Told later this afternoon that optical engine is in stock and will be shipped. Being a long weekend may delay process.

Edited by Crist, 09 March 2012 - 11:44 PM.

#599 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

DTV Forums Member

• 3,595 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:45 PM

Crist hopefully they fix it once and for all. Seems Epson's quality control isn't at its peak of late.

Thanks Vierra. Unfortunately things do go wrong. I am happy with their service so far.

#600 Brookmeyer

Brookmeyer

DTV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:45 PM

I am starting to get a little curious about how many of the projectors purchased in the group buy have had issues.
I am on my second one "DOA" with a noticeable difference in quality (The second one being better)
Reading the comments from Mark Verity I am not sure I even want to know what he is talking about.
Perhaps we could get a percentage once we know the total units moved and some GB participants feedback