Epson Tw 6000 +w 8000 And 9000w Owners Thread

• Please log in to reply
1495 replies to this topic

#451 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

AV Forum Member

• 3,595 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:45 PM

Thanks for the informative response. I will take your comments on board.

Default settings on a lot of projectors look fine and some of them are very close ideal but as
the lamp ages you will need to calibrate. Lamps on most projectors seem to lost a bit of brightness
and then settle down around 200 hours mark. To maintain the pop and colour accuracy you are seeing you
will need to calibrate. A lot of people who bought a plasma tv or a projector are prepared to use a factory
setting through out the life cycle of the products and there are others like myself like to get the most out of
the display.

#452 cwt

cwt

AV Forum Member

• 5,699 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:08 PM

Thanks for the informative response. I will take your comments on board.

The calibration can wait for me too Crist ; with no specific method for the colourimetry 3d discs are authored in [Michael bay and transformers3 case in point] the thx 3d mode will be close enough .Separate thx modes optimised for each dimension - great :aww:

http://www.projector...010/summary.php

I suspect that most folks purchasing a Pro Cinema 6010 will not feel the need to have it calibrated, thanks to the THX mode. (Note: Due to things like lamp variation, you will still be able to further improve the 6010 by calibrating it, but the improvement is likely to be very slight)!

#453 yorac

yorac

AV Forum Member

• 24,390 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:46 PM

Interesting to see some comments regarding calibration and I would just recommend and I really like to place emphasis on the fact that PJ calibrations can be a bit of a let down as a calibration will tend to give a more film like look to the picture rather than the pop than many are used to........

this is not to suggest a calibration is a bad thing but like almost anything else it comes down to your own personal taste..................

#454 roh008

roh008

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:05 PM

I can also see Owen's point in that the light reflected from the PJ's image also lights up the Ceiling.

Hi Jmone,

This is what I'm concerned with as I have white ceilings and light coloured walls as my projector will be in the living room. Even though I can cancel out all light sources the reflections apparently have a major impact on picture quality, therefore I am wondering if it's worth me getting the 9000W or the 6000W and save the extra bit and get a better pull down screen?

#455 :)

:)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:24 PM

Hi Jmone,

This is what I'm concerned with as I have white ceilings and light coloured walls as my projector will be in the living room. Even though I can cancel out all light sources the reflections apparently have a major impact on picture quality, therefore I am wondering if it's worth me getting the 9000W or the 6000W and save the extra bit and get a better pull down screen?

I would definitely go the 9000 especially at GB pricing be crazy not to. even just the thx mode on 9000 is worth getting for the price differnce. if wondering effect on screen with white walls and ceilings just take a peak at any of the screen shots I've posted. all with a room with white walls and ceilings and light carpet and furnishings. If you are not bowled over with the PQ you experience wiht the 9000 in an everyday environment I would be very suprised. because thats the environment I have :D

the epson is a wonderfull choice for your typical everyday lounge room setting, we dont all have bat cave dedicated rooms :)

direct light from any sources if eliminated is the best thing can have done. that for me for instance has been my greater focus for day time viewing with block out curtains and blinds and dealing with light leakage. even there have a peak at the last three pics have posted of lord of the rings taken during day time viewing in room surrounded by windows, 8 windows to be exact ! and a light filled stair case behind and door to kitchen dining and other parts of the house. a bit of care and effort with doors shut and curtains and block out in position to limit direct and light leakage is critical and as can see from the pics can be to great result :)

as to quality of the screens. I would say pjs will come and go and the screen likely to be with you a lot longer. so here you want to get something to last through the years or alternatively something dont mind moving on from when more funds allow :)

#456 roh008

roh008

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:05 PM

Ohh you're putting up a good reason...

So if the reflections don't have too great an impact then I guess the next question is what pull down screen should I go for? 110 inches diagonal around that size.

#457 Owen

Owen

AV Forum Member

• 11,997 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:28 PM

Interesting to see some comments regarding calibration and I would just recommend and I really like to place emphasis on the fact that PJ calibrations can be a bit of a let down as a calibration will tend to give a more film like look to the picture rather than the pop than many are used to........

this is not to suggest a calibration is a bad thing but like almost anything else it comes down to your own personal taste..................

Image "pop" is heavily depandant on brightness, calibration does not set brightness its a user choice.
Calibrated colour is calibrated colour no mater what the brightness of the image is.

Edited by Owen, 21 February 2012 - 10:16 PM.

#458 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:29 PM

Ohh you're putting up a good reason...

So if the reflections don't have too great an impact then I guess the next question is what pull down screen should I go for? 110 inches diagonal around that size.

oh theres so many brands. think you mentioned motorised ? or was it pull down. in the australian brands theres screen technics and lpmorgan. theres also all sorts of more expensive imported ones of all kinds. then theres the grandviews and redleaf and the like which are pretty good quality chinese made which are half the aussie equivalents price. that would be a good mid range option. and theres also the cheaper again chinese no name screens which are half the price of the chinese branded ones. so yeah plenty to choose from. suggest try check out whats out there and pick what best fits between budget and happiest with :)

#459 Owen

Owen

AV Forum Member

• 11,997 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:12 PM

Hi Jmone,

A front projection screen can never look blacker than with the projector off. If there is enough light in the room for you to be able to see whats in it contrast will be compromised and blacks will look very gray in dark scenes no matter what projector you have.

If you view in the dark a projector with a high native contrast is much more usefull than a bright one and running the projector brighter degrades black level even if it has good contrast.

With a white screen in a normal room (not a black painted bat cave) reflactions are a serious limitation on performance, the projector cant do anything about that, a clever screen can.

#460 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

AV Forum Member

• 3,595 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:25 PM

Ohh you're putting up a good reason... So if the reflections don't have too great an impact then I guess the next question is what pull down screen should I go for? 110 inches diagonal around that size.

The practical truth of the matter is that like Al I have a similar predicament in my case light furnishings and lighter coloured natural brick walls and flooring plus pinewood ceiling which looks golden. We both own the 9000 and I (like Al) can attest that the contrast and colour punch this baby produces in my room is simply breathtaking at times. My recent screening of the Illusionist (Edwards Norton) is a true testamony of just how good the blacks look in those very dark scenes. For colour punch and the pop factor the 2D version of the latest POTC (pirates of the carribean) will simply leave you with a permanent smile from ear to ear. I appreciate that a DNP or Black diamond screen will only improve the image I have now however it is a big spend and given the amount of ambient light coming from both sides of my PJ screen I don't think the money spent would justify the improvement in PQ (Plus the boss has curbed my budget)and to further rub salt in my wound ... it would really bug me that I couldn't achieve the full potential of either screen in my viewing environment due to the ambient light coming from the sides.

Edited by Crist, 22 February 2012 - 08:37 AM.

#461 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

AV Forum Member

• 3,595 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:36 PM

Thanks CWT I recall reading that quote on the 6010.

The calibration can wait for me too Crist ; with no specific method for the colourimetry 3d discs are authored in [Michael bay and transformers3 case in point] the thx 3d mode will be close enough .Separate thx modes optimised for each dimension - great :aww:

http://www.projector...010/summary.php

#462 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:42 PM

~
For colour punch and the pop factor the 2D version of the latest POTC (pirates of the carribean) will simply leave you with a permanent smile from ear to ear.
~

crist was that pirates stranger tides ? not seen the 2D just the 3D which was breath taking indeed. hoping to see 2D version sometime :)

#463 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

AV Forum Member

• 3,595 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:33 AM

crist was that pirates stranger tides ? not seen the 2D just the 3D which was breath taking indeed. hoping to see 2D version sometime :)

Correct. If you own the 3d version the 2d version is sometimes on the disc as well. Another couple of films that come to mind are Back to the future and Jurassic Park . Both are razor sharp and also have the pop factor and filmed in 16:9 aspect as well.

Edited by Crist, 22 February 2012 - 08:44 AM.

#464 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:09 AM

Correct. If you own the 3d version the 2d version is sometimes on the disc as well. Another couple of films that come to mind are Back to the future and Jurassic Park . Both are razor sharp and also have the pop factor and filmed in 16:9 aspect as well.

Yeah crist as mentioned the 3D version was really very very good. Can imagine for pq the 2D even better again :)

I do have both Jurassic park and back to future box sets on my to watch list. Thanks for heads up re pq. Even more eager to watch now !

As an animation lady & the tramp blu-ray bought for my daughter is absolutely stunning on the big screen as well. Reference material !

#465 ken s

ken s

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:31 AM

Hi , Al and others , well l've just secured my order through the group buy ( thanks Neill ) and will pick it up when l get a chance :)

Anyone tried the 2D to 3D conversion to see how it goes ( not expecting much ) just curious......l'm pretty sure at the very least l'll have to re position my pj mount as it'll be just to bright, even in eco mode !

Cheers Ken

#466 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:08 PM

congrats ken, looking forward to how find it :) not tried 2d to 3d conversion. have an aversion to fake 3D. but yeah check otu see what think :)

#467 ashabobo

ashabobo

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:23 PM

I'am finding that tw9000 seems to get better each time I fire her up.

Watched the new musketeers movie in 3d, toggled from dynamic to cinema 3d setting finally settling for thx.
In word, absolutley breathtaking, many scenes had great depth with little or no crosstalk, pure eye candy.
As it was filmed natively, you can see how the director purposely shot certain scenes to take advantage of the medium.
Unfortunatley the movie it self was more of a hit and miss.
Best version of the film is the 70's one with michael york, richard chamberlin and charlton heston I feel.

#468 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

AV Forum Member

• 3,595 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:36 PM

Other have also mentioned this movie as a 3d showcase. unfortunately 3D is something I avoid watching due to how it effects me.

#469 709er

709er

AV Forum Member

• 3,623 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:31 PM

I'am finding that tw9000 seems to get better each time I fire her up.

Watched the new musketeers movie in 3d, toggled from dynamic to cinema 3d setting finally settling for thx.
In word, absolutley breathtaking, many scenes had great depth with little or no crosstalk, pure eye candy.
As it was filmed natively, you can see how the director purposely shot certain scenes to take advantage of the medium.
Unfortunatley the movie it self was more of a hit and miss.
Best version of the film is the 70's one with michael york, richard chamberlin and charlton heston I feel.

I think that The Man In The Iron Mask is a great "all round" entertainer and an interesting Muskateers romp!
The BD has a very nice technical presentation too.

#470 cwt

cwt

AV Forum Member

• 5,699 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:23 AM

Hi , Al and others , well l've just secured my order through the group buy ( thanks Neill ) and will pick it up when l get a chance :)

Anyone tried the 2D to 3D conversion to see how it goes ( not expecting much ) just curious......l'm pretty sure at the very least l'll have to re position my pj mount as it'll be just to bright, even in eco mode !

Cheers Ken

Good stuff Ken worth registering it at epson for the extra 6 months warranty after pickup :) The 2d/3d conversion is something you likely wont use after good 3d spoils you B) The effect on strong doesnt have great depth and the edges of the screen seem out of whack slightly parallax wise [ hard to describe] with the middle .I have glasses though so may be exacerbating things :question: The ghosting is quite apparent as well on dynamic bit less on cinema or thx3d ;no pop outs into the room either .. You may like it dialed back to the middle setting though its a tad less obvious ; ''dexter.'' isnt the best show to test this :no:

Edited by cwt, 23 February 2012 - 03:59 AM.

#471 ken s

ken s

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:11 AM

Hi cwt , thanks for that , I wear glasses too so I know what you mean :)
Looking forward to getting this , I'm going to sell my valve amp and speakers to help fund it, hopefully pick it up soon !

#472 albammy

albammy

AV Forum Member

• 19 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:31 AM

Thanks for that. Technically anyone not authorized to enter the service menu of a projector has "voided their warranty" but we sometimes have to do it just to get the thing aligned and working to standards.

Hi Mark
Did you get the convergence controls to work in the service menu?
Did it fix the mis-convergence issues?
I also have red out by one pixel vertical.

#473 jmone

jmone

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:38 PM

Any deals going on additional 3d glasses? I've googled around looking for the Panasonic 3d Avatar pack but no luck for any stock.
Thanks
Nathan

#474 jmone

jmone

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:47 PM

Couple of Newbie Q:
1) How do you check for convergance on the PJ?
2) How do you check for any dead/stuck pixels?

Thanks
Nathan

#475 Quark

Quark

AV Forum Member

• 3,554 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:18 PM

Couple of Newbie Q:
1) How do you check for convergance on the PJ?
2) How do you check for any dead/stuck pixels?

Thanks
Nathan

For convergence, use the cross hatch pattern here. It would be better if the images were gifs, rather than jpegs - the latter are lossy, so do use the original size 1080 images and don't scale them, as they'll blur and be useless for convergence tests. Convergence issues will show if the white lines have red, green or blue edges.

For dead/stuck pixels use the white, black, red, green and blue images on the above link - any problems should stand out like the proverbials.

Edited by Quark, 23 February 2012 - 08:20 PM.