Epson Tw 6000 +w 8000 And 9000w Owners Thread

• Please log in to reply
1498 replies to this topic

#426 MarkTecher

MarkTecher

AV Forum Member

• 5,571 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:40 PM

I didn't get to see the 3D capabilities of this projector, but I am keen. I've heard it is very good. When are you due for another eye exam? You might want to mention it to the optometrist. When I got my last set of prescripts done, I actually told them about the fine detail I have to work with. If you are up front with them, they will take you serious.

Where is the spell check gone? I thought it was a part of Firefox, yet it not here for this forum.

#427 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

AV Forum Member

• 3,597 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:25 AM

I didn't get to see the 3D capabilities of this projector, but I am keen. I've heard it is very good. When are you due for another eye exam? You might want to mention it to the optometrist. When I got my last set of prescripts done, I actually told them about the fine detail I have to work with. If you are up front with them, they will take you serious.

Where is the spell check gone? I thought it was a part of Firefox, yet it not here for this forum.

Eyes were checked not that long ago. I think I might be one of the unfortunates re 3D. And yes spell check not working on this new format.

#428 :)

:)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:28 PM

guys watched thin red line yesterday on the epson a lovely lookign movie,
http://www.dvdbeaver...in_red_line.htm
warning it dwells deeply philosophically in a few aspects of war etc so a bit of a thinking film hehe

also jsut finished watching lord of the rings fellow ship of the ring extended edition pt1. my goodness what a visual spectacle it is ! shots of the shire etc in the movie is just drool worthy for PQ. this is reference stuff ! I know there was much whinging from the avs types and forums etc on what they have done to the picture. but it looks a stunner to me. really shows off what this pj can do guys if want to treat yourself :)

#429 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

AV Forum Member

• 3,597 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:21 PM

also jsut finished watching lord of the rings fellow ship of the ring extended edition pt1. my goodness what a visual spectacle it is ! shots of the shire etc in the movie is just drool worthy for PQ. this is reference stuff ! I know there was much whinging from the avs types and forums etc on what they have done to the picture. but it looks a stunner to me. really shows off what this pj can do guys if want to treat yourself :)

Guess what I'm watching tonight :phone:

#430 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:22 PM

you'll love it crist !

some obligatory screen shots ! from lotr fellow ship of the ring extended edition. these just hand held shots, not adjusted for white balance or anything,

IMG_3720.jpg

IMG_3717.jpg

IMG_3708.jpg

not that the pics do justice to what looks like in person. reference material and just stunning !

#431 ken s

ken s

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:48 AM

Giiday Al , looking good mate :) l had a quick look @ the projector central calculator , and it's looking like my screen gain and current projector position is less than ideal in my batcave........ basically l need to go down in gain and go a tad bigger in screen size and reposition so as to not be too bright it seems.

l'll go back and check what standard they go on in projector setting, as maybe eco mode my not be what they use for calculations.

l'm hoping it'll be the case as l like the sound of these pj's as well as the wireless HDMI ( my HDMI was bought prior to 1.3 standard release , so l'm guessing 1.2......which probably won't handle 3d and deep colour etc )

Cheers ken

#432 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:14 AM

http://www.eliteproj...calculator.com/

Ken couple pages up bbar pointed to calculator above, worth trying as well.

Al, I would recommend the SMPTE standard of 12-16FL, so aim for 14FL .

With a 120" 16:9 screen and 5m throw it should

- provide about about 10FL in Eco and 15 FL in high lamp when using one of the 'Best modes' like THX.

- with a 1.25 gain screen like the Oztheatre EVO3D then one should get about 12.5 in eco mode and 18.5 in High lamp.

So, to me one would need to go eco mode until about 100 hours then switch to high lamp mode thereafter.

At 500 hours 2D in high would be about 14FL and 3D at 12 FL on 1.0 gain screen or 17 and 15 on 1.25 gain screen.

At 1000 hours 2D in high would be about 12FL and 3D at 8 FL on 1.0 gain screen or 15 and 10 on 1.25 gain screen.

So, 120" 16:9 is fine but one would need a light controlled room, a 1.25 gain screen minimum and be willing to change lamp at about 1000 hours.

System would provide better 3D performance up to 1000 hours if throw was set to 3.9- 4 metres

Caveat : I based it on this more elaborate calculator using the 5010 though I believe it is the US equivalent of the 9000 is the pro 6010. - http://www.eliteproj...calculator.com/

Both have 2400 lumens but they may have different characteristics as projectorcentral has the FL of the 6010 as double that of the 5010 which seems strange as they are both 2400 lumens though PJcentral gives RAW FL and not in 'Best' mode. Also I believe FL is close to what measured on Al's setup.

#433 HDobsession

HDobsession

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:20 AM

Watched Transformers 3 last night in 3D. Wow! Very cool. The 3D on this projector is amazing. Very bright, crystal clear, no signs of cross talk.

#434 ken s

ken s

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:59 AM

Thanks Al , it looks like i'll get around 25FL on low with my current screen and mount , down to 20FL after 500hrs.......3D about 23FL if l remember correctly , l think l'll have to figure out another screen option eventually...........l gave Screen Science a call and they're keen to see how my screen goes with the new pj , and if need be they will work somthing out to trade up to maybe they're digital grey ( 1.2 gain ) and slightly bigger if i'm not happy......that's good service l reckon :)

Cheers Ken

#435 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

AV Forum Member

• 3,597 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:11 PM

Al one word "WOW!" this was breathtaking. Even my wife said that it was like looking outside from a clean window in some of the scenes.

If they played this in some of the HT stores they would have people lining up.

you'll love it crist !

some obligatory screen shots ! from lotr fellow ship of the ring extended edition. these just hand held shots, not adjusted for white balance or anything,

not that the pics do justice to what looks like in person. reference material and just stunning !

#436 jmone

jmone

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:12 PM

Got my 9000w today and the HDMI Wireless connection is terrific (now why can they not make WiFi work this well!). Just waiting for my screen to arrive and then can fine tune it all. I did read in one of the reviews about some initial basic settings changes to bring it in line with ISF specs (change in the mode + colour temp from memory)....what is everyone using?

#437 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:46 PM

Got my 9000w today and the HDMI Wireless connection is terrific (now why can they not make WiFi work this well!). Just waiting for my screen to arrive and then can fine tune it all. I did read in one of the reviews about some initial basic settings changes to bring it in line with ISF specs (change in the mode + colour temp from memory)....what is everyone using?

congrats jmone its a beaut isnt it, just need to select colour mode THX and fan power mode ECO and that is it :)

#438 jmone

jmone

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:52 PM

Well I am impressed with the night time performance. The following is a pic with the LX608a at the bottom and a similar sized image projected from the 9000w at the top at the same time. OK - it was no good during the day, and still the blacks are grey but....this is just on a Wall (no screen). :phone:

comp1.jpg

Edited by jmone, 20 February 2012 - 08:48 PM.

#439 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:55 PM

Giiday Al , looking good mate :) l had a quick look @ the projector central calculator , and it's looking like my screen gain and current projector position is less than ideal in my batcave........ basically l need to go down in gain and go a tad bigger in screen size and reposition so as to not be too bright it seems.

l'll go back and check what standard they go on in projector setting, as maybe eco mode my not be what they use for calculations.

l'm hoping it'll be the case as l like the sound of these pj's as well as the wireless HDMI ( my HDMI was bought prior to 1.3 standard release , so l'm guessing 1.2......which probably won't handle 3d and deep colour etc )

Cheers ken

hi ken yes if old hdmi pre 1.3 its not going to handle 3D etc, like jmone you'll find wireless hdmi works an absolute treat !

Thanks Al , it looks like i'll get around 25FL on low with my current screen and mount , down to 20FL after 500hrs.......3D about 23FL if l remember correctly , l think l'll have to figure out another screen option eventually...........l gave Screen Science a call and they're keen to see how my screen goes with the new pj , and if need be they will work somthing out to trade up to maybe they're digital grey ( 1.2 gain ) and slightly bigger if i'm not happy......that's good service l reckon :)

Cheers Ken

thats wonderfull service ken from the screen science there not familiar with them but they deserve a bit more airplay if they make sure to look after their customers in this way :)

Al one word "WOW!" this was breathtaking. Even my wife said that it was like looking outside from a clean window in some of the scenes.

If they played this in some of the HT stores they would have people lining up.

hi crist, yeah why I posted. the screen shot pictures I posted definitely dont do justice. suprised to mote retailers dont use lord of the rings extended edition as demo material not just picture which looks stunning on the epson audio as well is just awesome :)

#440 jmone

jmone

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:55 PM

Sorry for the quality of the PIC (taken with a cell phone). Also newbie Q - how do you attached a JPG onthis forum instead of a link (so I don't blow the thread out loading full pics instead of thumbnails)?

#441 jmone

jmone

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:56 PM

I can also see Owen's point in that the light reflected from the PJ's image also lights up the Ceiling.

#442 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:58 PM

Well I am impressed with the night time performance. ~

good to hear jmone, taking pics of screens PJ and plasmas not that easy to, so well done, :)

about uploading pics theres a sticky in the ht subforum, basically upload pic by creating a thread and loading through there in the attachements forum. after that it is available via my media button in posting here. will then post as a thumbnail.

#443 jmone

jmone

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:49 PM

Thanks for the tip and fixed my earlier post.

#444 jliang70

jliang70

AV Forum Member

• 2,742 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:51 PM

I would take any default settings like THX or ISF on a projector or plasma tv with a grain of salt. They are meant to get your started but most of them are not accurate. To get your settings in line with ISF specs you will need invest in a calibration pacage like calman or chromapure with the appropirate colorimeter. Measurement of your own projector and screen maybe quite different to the projecotr the settings you are copying.

#445 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

AV Forum Member

• 3,597 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:16 AM

I would take any default settings like THX or ISF on a projector or plasma tv with a grain of salt. They are meant to get your started but most of them are not accurate. To get your settings in line with ISF specs you will need invest in a calibration pacage like calman or chromapure with the appropirate colorimeter. Measurement of your own projector and screen maybe quite different to the projecotr the settings you are copying.

The THX setting on the Epson is just perfect for me. I wouldn't have it any other way.

#446 jliang70

jliang70

AV Forum Member

• 2,742 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:53 AM

The THX setting on the Epson is just perfect for me. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Fine, but it doesn't mean it is inline with isf spec, THX setting is also on panasonic plasma and there was a guy in this forum found it is way out with errors far exceeding isf standard. THX now days is a standard that no longer represent the bench mark for quality, you can have manufacturers willing to pay the money and get THX stamp on their product. There are also heaps of products that far exceed the THX standard but their makers never bother to pay for THX certification.

#447 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

AV Forum Member

• 3,597 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:44 AM

Fine, but it doesn't mean it is inline with isf spec, THX setting is also on panasonic plasma and there was a guy in this forum found it is way out with errors far exceeding isf standard. THX now days is a standard that no longer represent the bench mark for quality, you can have manufacturers willing to pay the money and get THX stamp on their product. There are also heaps of products that far exceed the THX standard but their makers never bother to pay for THX certification.

Agree with THX on Pana plasma as I own one. but on the Epson the THX functions is just how I like it

#448 jliang70

jliang70

AV Forum Member

• 2,742 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:59 AM

Agree with THX on Pana plasma as I own one. but on the Epson the THX functions is just how I like it

Never mind about the default settings the only way to know if your projector is within the ISF spec is to measure them yourself and adjust the display accordingly. Our eyes are not that accurate when it comes to judege colour accuracy or performing greyscale and gamma adjustment.

#449 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

AV Forum Member

• 3,597 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:24 PM

Never mind about the default settings the only way to know if your projector is within the ISF spec is to measure them yourself and adjust the display accordingly. Our eyes are not that accurate when it comes to judege colour accuracy or performing greyscale and gamma adjustment.

Apologies I think you are missing my point. I do not want to change anything. I like it just the way it is. I have seen TV sets which have been calibrated and they lack that pop in the picture. It boils down to personal taste I suppose.

Edited by Crist, 21 February 2012 - 01:28 PM.

#450 jliang70

jliang70

AV Forum Member

• 2,742 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:48 PM

You are missing my point. I do not want to change anything. I like it just the way it is.
I have seen TV sets which have been calibrated and they lack that pop in the picture.
It boils down to personal taste I suppose.

Default settings on a lot of projectors look fine and some of them are very close ideal but as
the lamp ages you will need to calibrate. Lamps on most projectors seem to lost a bit of brightness
and then settle down around 200 hours mark. To maintain the pop and colour accuracy you are seeing you
will need to calibrate. A lot of people who bought a plasma tv or a projector are prepared to use a factory
setting through out the life cycle of the products and there are others like myself like to get the most out of
the display.