Epson Tw 6000 +w 8000 And 9000w Owners Thread

• Please log in to reply
1498 replies to this topic

#1 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

AV Forum Member

• 3,597 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:00 PM

I thought it may be appropriate to start the owners thread and keep such discussions out of the EOI TW9000W thread.
For those fortunate enough to have any one of these PJ's can you please start posting your observations/ impressions and other calibration settings that may be useful to other/ prospective owners here

Edited by Crist, 07 December 2011 - 02:03 PM.

#2 :)

:)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:50 PM

have resisted posting as dont want to come across as a gloat since might be one of the few thats got one, anyways its misfortune with a problematic 5500 that brings me here to a 9000. Perhaps some points of perspective in the move to this pj might help someone,

some unboxing pics, its very well packed, and epson has a neat lift out handle system on the sides that makes easy to take the projector out.

P1010471.jpg

accesories box, you get a lot of little things with this projector, hdmi cable, wireless hd unit, which is quite small. and two 3D glasses. plus a manual on cd and a bit of other documentation and paraphernalia

P1010472.jpg

the mount positions are exactly the same as my previous 5500, so just a case of screwing straight on to my mount bracket.
P1010473.jpg

this is it mounted in position
IMG_3386.jpg

IMG_3388.jpg

the pj itself is quite smart looking, a bit beefier than the 5500. I'm sure some bummed by the white casing, but for me in my lounge room setting its very welcome. As am sure it will be similarly for those putting in typical home setup of white walls and ceilings where often projectors like these end up. My wife gives a strong approval for it, even on this basis.

Switch on is a delayed affair. not instant. I think it fires up its fan etc, and as warms up it comes to life. slight delay and its good to go. the 12V trigger is also as a result a little delayed in its reaction as well. Am sure this is overall for protection of the lamp. So all good. The motorised lens protector sliding open as it kicks into action is very cool !

setup is just as 5500 was, so for me it wasnt a case of even looking to the manual. just a case of using the manual adjusters on the casing for horizontal shift, vertical shift, zoom and focus. And going into the menu to select for front ceiling installation.

By default it is on thx and with eco power and iris to off.

the projector is very quiet on eco. the fan does ramp up a bit and noisier when set on normal.

I did a quick run through with familiar material. played around with iris in auto and high speed. plus also power in eco vs normal and between thx and cinema modes.

What I am very pleased about is this pj is everything the epson 5500 was before and more. A good thing as was very pleased with the performance of the 5500 and wouldnt have wanted a step back.

cinema and eco with iris in auto has quite some vibrancy to the screen. thx and eco and iris off is cool in look, moving to thx and normal power with iris off brings a bit more pop and warmth to the picture, though with a bit more fan noise.

I ended up watching source code blu-ray last night and overall extremely pleased with what the 9000 capable off. the natural look, the colour balance, sharpness, detail etc.
after viewing the movie, my wife happened to put on the two small lamps we have located behind line of the pj screen and we switched to some fta TV, with friends in HD going on. I was quite suprised that there was hardly any impact to the image on the screen. a clear indicator to the the light output from this pj. this thing can light up a screen like one big plasma ! style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

today havent had as much of time to play with it. but watched a bit more this time just some more fta tv. and can say it works very well in that role.

shut down of the pj is not instant either, it takes its time, no doubt to cool the lamp down gradually. and yes the 12V is also suitably delayed as it powers down.

anyways just some early thoughts from me, look forward to hearing from others that might have picked this up. keen to hear how they find it style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

#3 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

AV Forum Member

• 3,597 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 12:37 AM

Thanks for your thoughts Al. I will do similar when mine arrives.

Like you I don't mind the b&w look infact my first pj was grey/silver. Do agree look of PJ will have a WAF for sure.

The lag issues for gaming are no concern either as I do not game. Have a gaming setting on my DVDO but will never use it.

#4 bbar

bbar

AV Forum Member

• 6,901 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:10 AM

have resisted posting as dont want to come across as a gloat since might be one of the few thats got one, anyways its misfortune with a problematic 5500 that brings me here to a 9000. Perhaps some points of perspective in the move to this pj might help someone,

some unboxing pics, its very well packed, and epson has a neat lift out handle system on the sides that makes easy to take the projector out.
http://www.dtvforum....t...st&id=12623

accesories box, you get a lot of little things with this projector, hdmi cable, wireless hd unit, which is quite small. and two 3D glasses. plus a manual on cd and a bit of other documentation and paraphernalia
http://www.dtvforum....t...st&id=12624

the mount positions are exactly the same as my previous 5500, so just a case of screwing straight on to my mount bracket.
http://www.dtvforum....t...st&id=12625

this is it mounted in position
http://www.dtvforum....t...st&id=12626
http://www.dtvforum....t...st&id=12627

the pj itself is quite smart looking, a bit beefier than the 5500. I'm sure some bummed by the white casing, but for me in my lounge room setting its very welcome. As am sure it will be similarly for those putting in typical home setup of white walls and ceilings where often projectors like these end up. My wife gives a strong approval for it, even on this basis.

Switch on is a delayed affair. not instant. I think it fires up its fan etc, and as warms up it comes to life. slight delay and its good to go. the 12V trigger is also as a result a little delayed in its reaction as well. Am sure this is overall for protection of the lamp. So all good. The motorised lens protector sliding open as it kicks into action is very cool !

setup is just as 5500 was, so for me it wasnt a case of even looking to the manual. just a case of using the manual adjusters on the casing for horizontal shift, vertical shift, zoom and focus. And going into the menu to select for front ceiling installation.

By default it is on thx and with eco power and iris to off.

the projector is very quiet on eco. the fan does ramp up a bit and noisier when set on normal.

I did a quick run through with familiar material. played around with iris in auto and high speed. plus also power in eco vs normal and between thx and cinema modes.

What I am very pleased about is this pj is everything the epson 5500 was before and more. A good thing as was very pleased with the performance of the 5500 and wouldnt have wanted a step back.

cinema and eco with iris in auto has quite some vibrancy to the screen. thx and eco and iris off is cool in look, moving to thx and normal power with iris off brings a bit more pop and warmth to the picture, though with a bit more fan noise.

I ended up watching source code blu-ray last night and overall extremely pleased with what the 9000 capable off. the natural look, the colour balance, sharpness, detail etc.
after viewing the movie, my wife happened to put on the two small lamps we have located behind line of the pj screen and we switched to some fta TV, with friends in HD going on. I was quite suprised that there was hardly any impact to the image on the screen. a clear indicator to the the light output from this pj. this thing can light up a screen like one big plasma ! :D

today havent had as much of time to play with it. but watched a bit more this time just some more fta tv. and can say it works very well in that role.

shut down of the pj is not instant either, it takes its time, no doubt to cool the lamp down gradually. and yes the 12V is also suitably delayed as it powers down.

anyways just some early thoughts from me, look forward to hearing from others that might have picked this up. keen to hear how they find it :)

Well done Al, looks great and from what I saw an excellent PJ.

#5 Serentity

Serentity

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:47 AM

AL,

What size screen are you using with Espon 9000w?

#6 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:53 AM

Thanks for your thoughts Al. I will do similar when mine arrives.

Like you I don't mind the b&w look infact my first pj was grey/silver. Do agree look of PJ will have a WAF for sure.

The lag issues for gaming are no concern either as I do not game. Have a gaming setting on my DVDO but will never use it.

Thanks crist look forward to your thoughts as well

Well done Al, looks great and from what I saw an excellent PJ.

thanks bbar,

AL,

What size screen are you using with Espon 9000w?

92" 16:9

#7 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

AV Forum Member

• 3,597 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:06 AM

Anyone who wants to buy my hardly used Sony HW10 full HD projector with 2 more years of sony warranty on it please refer to the sale thread on this forum. I have decided to throw in free delivery in the price to move it. I personally guarantee the hours are genuine.

#8 Chicken Man

Chicken Man

AV Forum Member

• 6,322 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:14 AM

Just as a momentary divergence if I may......

Hey Al, as you know I bought a TW 5500 about 2 months ago and it has delivered exceptional performance , I was wondering what may have been the cause for you to go to the 9000 ? I remember the silicon block mounting issue and 'the fix' from Electron Flow but was there any other issue I might be wary of ?

My projector is shelf supported, not inverted as in ceiling mounted.

Many thanks, C.M

#9 Serentity

Serentity

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:38 AM

Thanks crist look forward to your thoughts as well

thanks bbar,

92" 16:9

Thanks Al,

Now where is the fast foward button for time so more stock arrivals Now!

#10 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 12:15 PM

Just as a momentary divergence if I may......

Hey Al, as you know I bought a TW 5500 about 2 months ago and it has delivered exceptional performance , I was wondering what may have been the cause for you to go to the 9000 ? I remember the silicon block mounting issue and 'the fix' from Electron Flow but was there any other issue I might be wary of ?

My projector is shelf supported, not inverted as in ceiling mounted.

Many thanks, C.M

Cm I think my 5500 was a black sheep ! Above issue you mentioned was still prevalent after the electronflow fix. Prior to that I was extremely happy with the projector though in its performanc. so pleased the 9000 carries on from there.

#11 709er

709er

AV Forum Member

• 3,666 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:52 PM

Congratulations Al. You're very sly... didn't say a word!
Will look forward to hearing more comments as you continue to "play" with your new unit.
Source Code was a nice all-rounder to start with :)

#12 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

AV Forum Member

• 3,597 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:09 PM

Registering your new projector online gives you an additional 6 months warranty as a bonus.

#13 Serentity

Serentity

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:39 PM

Registering your new projector online gives you an additional 6 months warranty as a bonus.

Nice :D

#14 Chicken Man

Chicken Man

AV Forum Member

• 6,322 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:35 PM

Cm I think my 5500 was a black sheep ! Above issue you mentioned was still prevalent after the electronflow fix. Prior to that I was extremely happy with the projector though in its performanc. so pleased the 9000 carries on from there.

I 'm constantly taken aback by the sheer clarity and excellent black levels the 5500 produces and I would expect the 9000 is very much the same plus the 3D availability.

I have a bat cave and have minimized all light reflection from the screen and I can say the black levels are very pleasing for an LCD projector,and as you can tell I really love this projector.

Cheers.

C.M

Edited by Chicken Man, 08 December 2011 - 09:36 PM.

#15 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:09 PM

definitely CM style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

92" plasma here style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

IMG_3442.jpg

standard definition free to air tv there (Rubicon) with ambient lights on in the room. and on THX and ECO the 9000 is still a light canon !

#16 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:17 PM

some blu-ray screen shots here,

these from super 8 that watched tonight.

IMG_3390.jpg

IMG_3393.jpg

IMG_3403.jpg

#17 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

AV Forum Member

• 3,597 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:38 AM

Got my projector today. first impressions is it looks better in real life than photos. That big round lens is very impressive. I also like the styling and colour scheme.
Told by Matt it has the Star Wars "storm trooper" theme look. That a very accurate description.

The projector resides in our family room and as soon as I fired it up I had to get my sunglasses on as this thing is bright ...very bright and it was on eco.
Played around with the settings and came to the conclusion that the settings Al is using looks the best to my eye.
The projector is sharp but not as sharp as the Sony HW10 which is probably due to Sony using licos panels as apposed to lcd.
The colours are very punchy and the word "pop" comes to mind especially in Cinema mode.
Despite my room being the furthest thing from a batcave the black levels in dark scenes were very good. note the THX setting by default turns the iris off so the great contrasts were achieved with the iris disabled. I did experiment and turned the iris on and it did improve the contrast to some degree. The iris makes a bit of noise which I am not accustomed to as the Sony is dead quiet when it is in operation. The fan noise in eco mode is low but again not low compared to my Sony which is whisper quiet in standard (eco) mode.
The projector is not as deep as I anticipated then again I am comparing it to the Sony which is very substantial in depth.
I do like how it performs overall in my fairly bright room and can assure new owners that it will impress all of you.
I watched many of my reference scenes and it performed flawlessly. Shutter Islands opening scene looked amazing. The representation of colour in THX mode is the best I have ever seen. Tron Legacy was spell binding. Because of its' video like look I engaged CFI in "low" mode and noticed no artifacts but it did give the pic more depth which added to my visual enjoyment.
I had 12bit colour disabled on the DVDO edge and noticed that when feeding BR sources skin tones became very reddish. I then engaged 12bit colour and the skin tones looked natural again.
A couple of observations. I checked the info option in the menu and noticed the lamp hours were still reading 0 after 3 hours of use.I am going to check it tomorrow night as it may register the hours used in the previous session when you turn it on next. The Sony (apologies but it is my reference) would keep a live tally while in use.

Finally when you unpack the unit the projector is bare of any adhesives or padding around lenses etc. The instructions tell you that the lens cover is taped and that you
need to remove it. I found no tape there and think Epson removed the tape to prevent damage to the motorised lens cover. Please check to see if the tape is removed on yours.

Edited by Crist, 09 December 2011 - 03:58 PM.

#18 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

AV Forum Member

• 3,597 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:38 AM

double post

Edited by Crist, 09 December 2011 - 12:39 AM.

#19 cwt

cwt

AV Forum Member

• 5,738 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:21 AM

Really appreciate the reviews Al and Chris . Ime coming from a sony too a bit older though a vplvw50 run in eco mode too and was curious as the iris sound was mentioned @ avs .The tip about the 12 bit colour will help when I get my dvdo duo . The website [or somewhere] mentioned it was partial 12 bit capable so makes sense :)
Curious how you go with the ir 3d emitter ;if the plug in is required ;found this on a euro site for the 9000;

Built-in 3D IR Emitter Front, 5 m; Vertical: -10 to +10degrees
(Controlled automatically with Lens Shift)

Those screen shots of Als show just how black the blacks are ;not grey like some out there ;) Always a good sign when you cant see where the aspect ratio margin is too -its black :D Was there a voucher or something for the SW boxset at all ? or more specifically a copy of your Proof of Purchase as the website mentions ?

Edited by cwt, 09 December 2011 - 02:23 AM.

#20 bhof

bhof

AV Forum Member

• 28 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:37 AM

Thanks for your reviews Al and Crist, you guys really have made me want the epson because those black levels sound great. Good to see it works so well in your room crist as your rooms sounds similar to mine. Now I have some big decisions to make......lag or no lag.....

#21 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

AV Forum Member

• 3,597 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:56 AM

Really appreciate the reviews Al and Chris . Ime coming from a sony too a bit older though a vplvw50 run in eco mode too and was curious as the iris sound was mentioned @ avs .The tip about the 12 bit colour will help when I get my dvdo duo . The website [or somewhere] mentioned it was partial 12 bit capable so makes sense :)
Curious how you go with the ir 3d emitter ;if the plug in is required ;found this on a euro site for the 9000;

Those screen shots of Als show just how black the blacks are ;not grey like some out there ;) Always a good sign when you cant see where the aspect ratio margin is too -its black :D Was there a voucher or something for the SW boxset at all ? or more specifically a copy of your Proof of Purchase as the website mentions ?

Thanks mate. Did it very late as I wanted to view much material. you will be impressed with its black level performance. Even in default THX mode (Iris off)
the blacks and shadow detail are very impressive.
The iris does make a clunky like sound but not enough to distract you. I sit about 1 metre from projector.
The full HD tranmitter will not be used by me as I have a hard wired HDMI connection . It does come with a power pack similar to those on ext Hard Drives.

Thanks for your reviews Al and Crist, you guys really have made me want the epson because those black levels sound great. Good to see it works so well in your room crist as your rooms sounds similar to mine. Now I have some big decisions to make......lag or no lag.....

Yes bhof you will be impressed by how little ambient light impacts on the contrast level of this pj. My PJ is about 4.7m from screen and it is very bright when projected at 100" in anamorphic aspect.

also some more points I left out last night.

you can get a 16:9 image easily from 4.7m away with a diagnal 85". This is ideal for me as movies like tron legacy and the dark knight ( well that's one I'm going to revisit tonight) where the screen changes aspect through out the movie.

Also beacause of the very good native contrast ratio of this pj the black bars on top and bottom for anamorphic images is not very noticable.

I have searched everywhere for panel alignment function and could not find it. I read somewhere on AVS it should be there but for the life of me can't find it.
Yes the Sony hw10 has it as well as a full cms which I don't think the 9000 has.

Also got up early this morning and fired up the pj to watch tv. Looks like a big 85" plasma. Very impressive. I checked lamp hours and still showing "0".

Can you please check yours Al. Maybe it starts showing lamp usage after say 10 hours :( hope not faulty as this is an important function for everyone.
However (hopefully) I get to use this one more than my sony and accumulate some real hours.

another point. When you go into settings change the default "Standby message" to "on". If you don't and switch it off it seems the fan does not keep working
for a while when the lamp goes off. I turned the option to "on " today and noticed that the fan did stay on after the lamp turned off. I'm also starting to think
maybe mine has a problem especially that still showing no hours of lamp usage after 4.5 approx hours of use.

Edit Just called Matt at TCC and was told the fan not staying on is normal as a Tech told him from epson that the lamp is kept very cool via design. It does have a thermo switch and does come on if the critical temp is reached when turning off the pj. Matt said that when it happened with him like me he nearly sh@t his pants. :D

The Lamp hours is of concern and I will check with Al to see if his is doing it as well. If so I will contact Matt who will immediately put a call to the authorised parties at epson australia and get it rectified. Will be checking it over the weekend.
Edit- according to Chicken Man lamp hours appear after 10 hours of use.

Oh I do not use the wireless transmitter as I already am connected via hdmi and have yet to try 3d. Just enjoying 2d at the moment.
PS I forgot to say I really Luv this PJ. :wub:

Edited by Crist, 09 December 2011 - 01:28 PM.

#22 Chicken Man

Chicken Man

AV Forum Member

• 6,322 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:50 PM

If I remember with my TW 5500 the 'Hours Clock' did not register until I ran up 10 hours of use, so I don't think anything has changed with respect to the 9000. Don't worry about it, 10 hours soon accumulates.

C.M

#23 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

AV Forum Member

• 3,597 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:15 PM

If I remember with my TW 5500 the 'Hours Clock' did not register until I ran up 10 hours of use, so I don't think anything has changed with respect to the 9000. Don't worry about it, 10 hours soon accumulates.

C.M

Thanks CM I thought that maybe the case. :) Well now I can relax. That's what you get when you work as an analyst :( and observe everything in its most minute detail

Edited by Crist, 09 December 2011 - 01:30 PM.

#24 Vieira4

Vieira4

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:04 PM

C.M

If that was the odometer on a car you wouldn't be wanting that fixed too soon ! :lol:

#25 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

AV Forum Member

• 3,597 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 04:03 PM

some blu-ray screen shots here,

these from super 8 that watched tonight.
http://www.dtvforum....t...st&id=12635

http://www.dtvforum....t...st&id=12636

http://www.dtvforum....t...st&id=12637

Wow Al these are pics are extremely accurate to what the pj looks like. Good camera work by the way...then again I wouldn't expect anything less :D.

PS good flick as well.

Edited by Crist, 09 December 2011 - 04:04 PM.