#1 burnnotice

burnnotice

AV Forum Member

• 6 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:36 AM

Here is my setup:

http://i.imgur.com/GuIDQ.png

(All Tvs have Full HD in-built)

(Note: None of the splitters have an external power source and each TV is in a separate room; not close together like illustrated)

On TV 1 i get all HDTV Channels available in my location (Brisbane, Queensland); however on TV 2 and TV 3 i only get:

• 7 Digital
  • Nine Digital
  • 7TWO
  • 7Mate
  • TV4ME
  • GEM
  • GO!

Missing out on:

• ONE HD
  • ABC1
  • SBS ONE
  • Ten Digital
  • ELEVEN
  • ABC2 / ABC4
  • ABC 3
  • ABC News 24

When i say 'missing', i mean I'm not getting any signal from them; but the channels are there and will work perfectly if connected directly to the main wall ariel socket without any other TV connected or using any splitters. The channels i do receive are fine in terms of reception; they hardly distort, if ever.

I was thinking of purchasing THIS because since it's using an external power source to power the splitter it might take some strain off the connection (I'm assuming) and because it will boost each port up to 12dB.

I'm open to any suggestions on how i can fix this.

Cheers

Edited by burnnotice, 05 December 2011 - 11:37 AM.

#2 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:43 PM

Looking at your diagram, your problem is most likely insufficient signal strength/quality due to the incorrect solitting method used.

In simple terms, the first splitter divides your signal in half, so that TV 1 gets half of the original signal from the antenna.

The second 4-way splitter is dividing the half signal from splitter 1 by four, so that both TV's 2 & 3 are only getting about 1/8th of the antenna signal.

Your best solution would likely be to replace both splitters with a single 3-way splitter at the location where splitter 1 is presently.

You could also try just replacing the 4-way splitter with a 2-way splitter.

I suspect the reason for the TEN and ABC channels being the ones affected, is that you may have an older model antenna which was not designed for channels 11 and 12 (TEN & ABC digital channels) and although it receives them, their levels are probably lower than the other channels which are in the freqency range the antenna was designed for.

Wihout accurate signal measurements, it's difficult to know exactly what your signals are doing, so I'm just basing my thoughts on experience.

Yes, an amplified splitter may help, but it needs to be installed as the only splitter, replacing both of the passive splitters, but I'd try the 3-way passive splitter first.

You may also consider upgrading your antenna.

#3 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forum Member

• 2,799 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:20 PM

they hardly distort, if ever.

This suggests to me that the signal out of the wall socket is too low.

Notwithstanding the suggestion already made about the way splitting has been arranged, and on the proviso all components are acceptable quality and cabling has been done correctly, I would be attending to the signal at the wallplate first, before attempting any other measures.

Looking at the existing system overall would be a better measure, if this is a possibility. This would mean ensuring the correct antenna is being used, along with compliant cabling & connections from antenna to wallplate.

As has been mentioned, only by making accurate signal measurements can this be successfully determined.

You mention you are in Brisbane, you can put your address in here to see what your reception possibilities are.

Apologies if you are renting, and unable to get help otherwise.

#4 nbound

nbound

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:57 PM

Looking at your diagram, your problem is most likely insufficient signal strength/quality due to the incorrect solitting method used.

In simple terms, the first splitter divides your signal in half, so that TV 1 gets half of the original signal from the antenna.

The second 4-way splitter is dividing the half signal from splitter 1 by four, so that both TV's 2 & 3 are only getting about 1/8th of the antenna signal.

Your best solution would likely be to replace both splitters with a single 3-way splitter at the location where splitter 1 is presently.

You could also try just replacing the 4-way splitter with a 2-way splitter.

I suspect the reason for the TEN and ABC channels being the ones affected, is that you may have an older model antenna which was not designed for channels 11 and 12 (TEN & ABC digital channels) and although it receives them, their levels are probably lower than the other channels which are in the freqency range the antenna was designed for.

Wihout accurate signal measurements, it's difficult to know exactly what your signals are doing, so I'm just basing my thoughts on experience.

Yes, an amplified splitter may help, but it needs to be installed as the only splitter, replacing both of the passive splitters, but I'd try the 3-way passive splitter first.

You may also consider upgrading your antenna.

Agreed with this...

The best ways to do this would either be a 4way splitter amp as only split, a single 3way splitter.

But if the runs are long (like 50-100+m) a small distribution amp and split/attenuation. Taps may also help if the building is a long one, the rooms are roughly in a line, and the aerial is not centrally located.

Again though, signal readings on site are the only way to know for sure, but failing that, or prior to, (if easy enough - and you don't mind possibly being wrong), replace both splits with a single 3way.