Bluray 3d Movie

• Please log in to reply
308 replies to this topic

#26 709er

709er

AV Forum Member

• 3,653 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:24 PM

Just be conscious Al that with Pirates you are probably watching the creme de la creme when it comes to 3D...there's also some pretty poor examples out there.

When I got my 3D tv the fact it was 3D was a bit of a big deal and I truly expected it to be a gimmick. Provided you have the right material though it is defnitely a lot better than a gimmick :)

Which titles do you consider "poor examples"?
It would be good to see some more 3D reviews in the reviews thread :mellow:

#27 :)

:)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:39 PM

I'm glad you feel the same way as I do. Was feeling like a bit of a traitor/mutant! :lol:
It is an incredible experience to have in your own home. It doesn't supercede 2D, or make 2D seem bland, it's just an extension of the whole HT experience :)

hehe definitely agree !

Just be conscious Al that with Pirates you are probably watching the creme de la creme when it comes to 3D...there's also some pretty poor examples out there.

When I got my 3D tv the fact it was 3D was a bit of a big deal and I truly expected it to be a gimmick. Provided you have the right material though it is defnitely a lot better than a gimmick :)

good point, blairy, the 3D have seen so far been impressed. but yeah get the feeling not a lot of good quality stuff out there.

yes keen to know as well. I'll add reviews when get time on any 3D films I have watched, if the reviews not done already :)

definitely I'd encourage any comment here on movies that suck or any good ones as well. good to know whats out there. and not waste money on rubbish !

#28 Dave Williamson

Dave Williamson

AV Forum Member

• 45 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:38 PM

Not HT related but 3D, went to the cinema last night to watch Puss In Boots 3D, very very impressed, best 3D I've seen so far, even up there with Avatar, the stuff up and around the magic beanstalk was especially impressive.

It changed my mind from gimmicky to 'wow'

To much 3D stuff I have seen demo'd in the shops looks like those pop up books you got as a kid but this movie was 'predominantly' very good

#29 blairy

blairy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:59 PM

Well, ths thread is only two pages long and there's been a couple mentioned :lol: Intent of this thread is to actually post good and bad 3d movie experiences ;)

The HP Deathly Hallows in 3D (I've only seen part two) is terrible. Watched it with my two young boys. I wanted to stop it and put on the 2D version it was that bad. Of course they were engrossed in the movie and didn't fancy the interruption.

That's the only one I own that I'd really bag out, however if you check the reviews on hidefdigest (link elsewhere in this thread) and search for 3D typically they pan the movies that are not made in 3D and most of those intened for 3D get a decent video rating. On this basis some bad ones are Last of The Airbenders and Clash of the Titans

blairy

Edited by blairy, 28 December 2011 - 07:01 PM.

#30 709er

709er

AV Forum Member

• 3,653 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:40 PM

Well, ths thread is only two pages long and there's been a couple mentioned :lol: Intent of this thread is to actually post good and bad 3d movie experiences ;)

The HP Deathly Hallows in 3D (I've only seen part two) is terrible. Watched it with my two young boys. I wanted to stop it and put on the 2D version it was that bad. Of course they were engrossed in the movie and didn't fancy the interruption.

That's the only one I own that I'd really bag out, however if you check the reviews on hidefdigest (link elsewhere in this thread) and search for 3D typically they pan the movies that are not made in 3D and most of those intened for 3D get a decent video rating. On this basis some bad ones are Last of The Airbenders and Clash of the Titans

blairy

Thanks blairy.
I'll take this opportunity to say that Cars 2 is incredible in terms of it's technical presentation. A film essentially for the under 15's, but so full of eye candy and fantastic audio, it's hard not to like. Looking down the racetrack, it was like you could see 100m into the distance. Quite surreal. No crosstalk/ghosting at all on a 110 inch screen :)

#31 MLXXX

MLXXX

AV Forum Member

• 5,422 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:49 PM

mlxx my problem was with wild ocean, though resolved.

not to be confused with ocean wonderland 3D the cousteau film, which you commented on. below is my comments experienced yesterday
http://www.dtvforum....&...t&p=1768602

and I totally agree with what you have said

so far best 3D have seen on my system are the scenes you mention, anything from 9 min in is a stunner. at times there are fishes about an arms reach from you. just there ...to admire. lovely colours and details, it really feels as though in the reef there, either in a glass bottom boat or scuba diving amongst the fish there. and yes just so real I'm gob smacked to be honest.

swimming amongst the fishes am hooked on 3D :D hehe

Yes 3D really comes into its own with schools of fish. You can see the distant fish or the closer in ones, and the ones in between, clearly. I get the feeling I could aim a spear gun at particular fish! But if I close one eye, the scene collapses into a confusing 2D amalgam. The smaller and greater the number of the fish, the more confusing they are in 2D.

On a technical note, one reason I think 3D underwater photography is so successful with current domestic shutter glasses technology is that the sea life is obliged to move sedately, constrained by the viscosity of water. It therefore doesn't matter that the video frame rate is slow [24fps] and the Left-Right alternation rate less than at the cinema. [RealD uses 144Hz, most home projectors do only 120Hz.] On a practical note, how else could nature be seen so clearly and so safely, and without being disturbed by the presence of man? I wouldn't want to be diving near sharks or sting rays, or for that matter near jelly fish, large crabs, and octopuses. And some of the smaller sea creatures can be captured close-up with appropriate lenses, in their natural splendour; better than peering through a diving mask, or a portal in an underwater observation craft.

Others in this forum have already commented on IMAX DEEP SEA 3D. I purchased this BD yesterday at JB HI-FI, for $16.00 less the current post-Xmas 20% discount. It runs for 40 minutes. The 3D depth is strong, about as strong as I am comfortable with. The sea life is spectacular. Narration by Johnny Depp and Kate Winslet (both sounding like middle of the road narrators, not actors!).

Over Xmas I took some family stills and videos with a cheap 3D camera [Fuji Finepix Real 3d W3 - see dtvforum thread http://www.dtvforum....showtopic=95980 ]. Viewing these today I was very impressed with the 3D effect. For me, it added to the sensation of reliving the captured "moments in time".

Edited by MLXXX, 30 December 2011 - 08:21 AM.

#32 Paul81

Paul81

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:06 AM

Watched my first 'in-home' 3D movie last night - Ice Age 3D presented on a Samsung 55" LED / LCD.

All I can say is wow, this was an awesome experience and the quality was near perfect. At times it felt like I wasn't watching a TV but looking out of a window.
Size of the TV was 100% an issue, it didn't seem big enough on this screen from about 3m but for 2D viewing it seems better.

One thing I did notice was that it took me a good 3 - 5 mins to get use to the glasses and adjust to the movie before I could truely enjoy it. The first couple of minutes I felt like I was getting a bit of a headache and maybe slightly dizzy (could have been the wine though :P )

Edited by Paul81, 30 December 2011 - 08:07 AM.

#33 709er

709er

AV Forum Member

• 3,653 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:23 AM

Watched Toy Story 3D with my youngest teenage son last night and we were both totally blown away!
There was information and detail that neither of us had noticed before. I can only imagine that it was to do with viewing into the complete depth of the perceivable image.
For me, it really was like watching a new film with the same story. Really felt the magic :)
Low lit and night scenes were especially ethereal.
Fantastic! .............. only around $23 from the UK

#34 SDL

SDL

AV Forum Member

• 10,652 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:46 AM

Not a big fan of 3D myself, but other than the Animated ones, I would have thought the only really decent ones are those filmed with the Fusion Cameras:

http://en.wikipedia....n_Camera_System

Film Release Date Notes
U2 3D February 22, 2008 Also released in IMAX 3D
Journey to the Center of the Earth July 11, 2008
Jonas Brothers: The 3D Concert Experience February 27, 2009 Also released in IMAX 3D.
The Final Destination August 28, 2009
Avatar December 18, 2009 Released in IMAX 3D and re-released in IMAX 3D in 2010.
Step Up 3D August 6, 2010
Resident Evil: Afterlife September 10, 2010 Also released in Digital IMAX 3D.
Yogi Bear December 17, 2010
Tron: Legacy December 17, 2010 40 minutes rendered in 1.85:1 Aspect Ratio in IMAX 3D version.
Sanctum February 4, 2011 Also released in Digital IMAX 3D.
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides May 20, 2011 Also released in IMAX 3D.
Transformers: Dark of the Moon June 29, 2011 Also released in IMAX 3D.
Final Destination 5 August 12, 2011 Also released in Digital IMAX 3D.
Spy Kids: All the Time in the World August 19, 2011
Shark Night 3D September 2, 2011
Hugo November 23, 2011 Also released in IMAX 3D in Select International Markets.
The Darkest Hour December 25, 2011
Journey 2: The Mysterious Island February 10, 2012 Also released in IMAX 3D.
Life of Pi December 21, 2012 Also released in IMAX 3D. First IMAX 3D Release from 20th Century Fox.

#35 709er

709er

AV Forum Member

• 3,653 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:44 AM

Not a big fan of 3D myself, but other than the Animated ones, I would have thought the only really decent ones are those filmed with the Fusion Cameras:

http://en.wikipedia....n_Camera_System

Film Release Date Notes
U2 3D February 22, 2008 Also released in IMAX 3D
Journey to the Center of the Earth July 11, 2008
Jonas Brothers: The 3D Concert Experience February 27, 2009 Also released in IMAX 3D.
The Final Destination August 28, 2009
Avatar December 18, 2009 Released in IMAX 3D and re-released in IMAX 3D in 2010.
Step Up 3D August 6, 2010
Resident Evil: Afterlife September 10, 2010 Also released in Digital IMAX 3D.
Yogi Bear December 17, 2010
Tron: Legacy December 17, 2010 40 minutes rendered in 1.85:1 Aspect Ratio in IMAX 3D version.
Sanctum February 4, 2011 Also released in Digital IMAX 3D.
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides May 20, 2011 Also released in IMAX 3D.
Transformers: Dark of the Moon June 29, 2011 Also released in IMAX 3D.
Final Destination 5 August 12, 2011 Also released in Digital IMAX 3D.
Spy Kids: All the Time in the World August 19, 2011
Shark Night 3D September 2, 2011
Hugo November 23, 2011 Also released in IMAX 3D in Select International Markets.
The Darkest Hour December 25, 2011
Journey 2: The Mysterious Island February 10, 2012 Also released in IMAX 3D.
Life of Pi December 21, 2012 Also released in IMAX 3D. First IMAX 3D Release from 20th Century Fox.

It will be very interesting to see how Phantom Menace and Titanic turn out.
I imagine that technology improvements to the processing will come fast and furiously if there's a buck to be made with the post conversions <_<

#36 com5984

com5984

AV Forum Member

• 2,843 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:59 AM

Ocean Wonderland 12 bucks jb online with free postage

#37 cwt

cwt

AV Forum Member

• 5,730 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:36 PM

Ocean Wonderland 12 bucks jb online with free postage

Couldnt source a copy of The Green Hornet in store Rob [sold out so they said :ike:] but worth trying for under $20 even if its a conversion considering hidef digest take on it I thought.. Free delivery and no comparison $ wise to some others I notice :no:

Michel Gondry's 'The Green Hornet' is another in a short line of 2D movies which were later converted to 3D using the new, James Cameron-designed technology

http://bluray.highde...enhornet3d.html

#38 com5984

com5984

AV Forum Member

• 2,843 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:29 AM

Couldnt source a copy of The Green Hornet in store Rob [sold out so they said :ike:] but worth trying for under $20 even if its a conversion considering hidef digest take on it I thought.. Free delivery and no comparison $ wise to some others I notice :no:

http://bluray.highde...enhornet3d.html

Col, online it's 24 bucks I ordered it. It does seem like good value, not sure about the 3d thing just yet so I don't want to invest in too many movies.

#39 cwt

cwt

AV Forum Member

• 5,730 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:20 AM

Col, online it's 24 bucks I ordered it. It does seem like good value, not sure about the 3d thing just yet so I don't want to invest in too many movies.

There playing silly buggers mate only just went up $5 :no: :pirate: ;this is my email at the sale price

Green Hornet, The (3d & 2d Blu-ray, Dvd & Digital Combo)
blu-ray

SKU 93177310854751$19.98$19.98Availability: In stock. Last updated 2.15amPosted ImageCenturion (Blu-ray)
Blu-Ray

SKU 93987110932841$15.98$15.98Availability: On Order. Last updated 2.15am

#40 cwt

cwt

AV Forum Member

• 5,730 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:18 AM

Well everyone; watched Piranha 3d tonight and was truely impressed for a 2d conversion [director had too many complicated shots to use 3d cameras but had 3d in mind when shooting] . Just the right amount of depth with the epson 9000 at medium and many 3d shots had good perspective between distant and close shots :) The far shots were not as sharp and the vast majority of foreground was apropos sharp.

The french director kept things fast paced as needed with these shock/horror/gore movies and the cgi piranha were very realistic.I didnt notice any ghosting until jerry o'conells boat hit strife but it was minimal and would have gone unnoticed if Ide used cinema or thx modes.
Either of these were perfect for the cave scene . Many instances of shots like tree branches reaching 8 feet into the room and a few ducking spears;frying pans etc :hyper: If you dont mind that ;used judisciously though mainly for shock value.

Its got lots of eye candy [french director remember] not to mention possibly the 1st severed 3d member [o'conells :rolleyes: ] among other joke shots ..
A Richard dreyfuss cameo is a clever device to show what this movie is all about ; Christopher lloyd too Compared to the anaglyph 3d version that came on a 2nd disc with the magenta /blue glasses ;that version had screwed up colours and was crap. The lossless soundtrack while not especially bass extended had a well mixed surround field.The above water combined with below water shots of the carnivores going for the kill is why 3d is so suited to a gorefest :cheer: :D The 3dd sequel unfortunately wont have the same director so see how it goes.

#41 709er

709er

AV Forum Member

• 3,653 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 03:32 PM

Well - we watched IMAX Space Station today and in one word... AWESOME!
Scene after scene of "as close as we'll ever get to the real thing" were before us. Many scenes offering fantastic depth and complete immersion.
Superb clarity and colour.
The "blast off" scene for the Discovery had me covered in goosebumps - and totally in awe.
On special at Amazon ATM for under $20.
Total bargain.

#42 Serentity

Serentity

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:03 PM

Well - we watched IMAX Space Station today and in one word... AWESOME!
Scene after scene of "as close as we'll ever get to the real thing" were before us. Many scenes offering fantastic depth and complete immersion.
Superb clarity and colour.
The "blast off" scene for the Discovery had me covered in goosebumps - and totally in awe.
On special at Amazon ATM for under $20.
Total bargain.

Thanks 709er, we ordered ours on Friday looking forward to watching it. With Aus Dollar so high I think it was just over 19 Aus dollars from Usa Amazon.

#43 709er

709er

AV Forum Member

• 3,653 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:45 PM

Thanks 709er, we ordered ours on Friday looking forward to watching it. With Aus Dollar so high I think it was just over 19 Aus dollars from Usa Amazon.

You're welcome.
I also have Hubble 3D on the way :) I just can't get enough on the "space exploration" side of things!

#44 everunman

everunman

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:29 AM

Just watched my UP 3d, if you liked this movie its even better in 3d, they did a good job

Edited by everunman, 23 January 2012 - 05:37 AM.

#45 709er

709er

AV Forum Member

• 3,653 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:14 PM

Has anybody checked out the prices of 3D BD's at JB lately?
They are ridiculous!

#46 709er

709er

AV Forum Member

• 3,653 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:18 PM

Has anybody checked out the prices of 3D BD's at JB lately?
They are ridiculous!

Back on topic, holiday viewing this week has included Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs and Meet The Robinsons, both of which have been fantastic visual and aural presentations - the latter especially.

#47 Vieira4

Vieira4

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:22 AM

Yes I have noticed this also. Most are $45 and some are closer to $55 like Tron Legacy.

#48 everunman

everunman

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:12 PM

i saw cloudy 3d at jb for $20

#49 :)

:)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:36 AM

Yes don't know what's the go few bargains like IMAX ones and older 3D. But new releases are ridiculously priced for 3D. The combo packs are absolutely over the top at what jb has them for. Previously they would do good pricing for new releases I wish they would do the same for 3D as well.

#50 David Williams

David Williams

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:43 AM

They are gouging on the 3D prices and then they wonder why people don't take up 3D or buy O/S