• Please log in to reply
308 replies to this topic

#1 blairy

blairy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 07:13 PM

In about February this year I decided we needed a bigger TV in the upstairs room. Wound up moving my main TV upstairs and picking up a 7000 series 58" samsung plasma that also does 3D for the main room.

I must say I didn't expect to be impressed but largely I have been. I can nominate some dead set specials and some not so good movies too. In the main if it was shot in 3D you'll be impressed. Typically I use the reviews on highdefdigest to make up my mind for me. Not been disappointed so far.

And hey, nearly every 3D disc inlcudes 2D version as well. You can't really go wrong.

Thought I'd start a thread (it was al's idea) where we can nominate our favourites and not so favourite 3D movies. No need to be as formal as my notes, just comment how you like and if you only want to mention one movie (at a time) that's fine too.

PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN ON STRANGER TIDES: 3D reference material, possibly the best 3D I've seen, audio is outstanding and the movie not as bad as they say it is, in fact I'm looking forward to watching it again.

Resident Evil Afterlife; watched this quite a while ago. 3D was very good.

A Christmas Carol; also possibly the best 3D I've seen and the sound is very good. You can make up your own mind about the story/movie I'm sure.

2010 FIFA world cup film. If you're not a fan of real football you probably won't enjoy this. The 3D is excellent (although it is in fact Sony showing off so you'd expect it to be much better than just good) and the audio is sport and interviews so is as good as needed. In my household/extended family we're all football mad - this is demo material. Having said that most people would only ever watch it right through once.

TRON LEGACY, yeah the 3D is good and the sound good and the movie good but it never really jumps out at me. Perhaps part of my issue is some technical glitches I had with this disc. Needed to change settings in my BD player (from PAL to multi) to get 3D perfect. Perhaps I need a further viewing at some stage.

Got a few others I can post on too but that'll do for starters...over to everybody else.

And please, I know 3D is gimmicky to some and to others it's a fly by night fad, but this is a thread for our observations (good, bad or indifferent) on 3D movies.

Cheers
blairy

#2 duster

duster

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:30 AM

http://realorfake3d.com/
A thread a while back contained this link, I have found that movies on the left (real 3D) are watchable as a movie and the 3D is good. The others? (fake 3D) the movies are #%&* and the picture looks like a pop up book.

The best 3D movies make you forget that you're wearing glasses. :)

#3 blairy

blairy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:13 PM

Thanks Duster...maybe you could name some of the good ones and shame some others perhaps B)

#4 ashabobo

ashabobo

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:17 PM

RIO- animated- really good 3d, especially the handglide over Rio and towards the end at Carnivale.
Only marred by some ghosting in many of the darker scenes, otherwise close to reference.

#5 David Williams

David Williams

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:18 PM

Wow - very encouraging to see so many 3D movies.

I thought Beauty and the Beast was fantastically well done. I wish Disney used the same animators for the conversion of the Lion King which I thought was very disappointing. B&B is the best 3D I have seen.

#6 709er

709er

AV Forum Member

• 3,665 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:24 PM

IMAX Space Station

I haven't watched this through yet (waiting for my PJ to arrive), but the snippets I watched on the Bravia were fantastic.
Remember seeing this on it's theatrical run at the IMAX in Melbourne and being "blown away".
I think that this 3D BD presentation will at least equal that experience. The clarity and perceivable depth, were excellent. About as close as we'll ever get to "being there"!

#7 blairy

blairy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:34 AM

Watched Cars 2 in 3D last night.

WOW sums it up. :wub:

Video and Audio both fantastic.

The movie, well come on, it is for kids :)

blairy

#8 everunman

everunman

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:03 PM

The Smurfs looked awesome in the sony store in singapore, almost made me want a 3d tv

#9 blairy

blairy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:39 PM

Well in spite of all the poor and even bad reviews of HP Deathly Hollows Part II 3D I lashed out and biought it.

Haven't the 2D version yet.

The reviews are right vis a vis the 3D version.

In a word, terrible. :(

Elswhere on this forum I've commented to the effect tat you might as well try the 3D as it comes with BD., DVD, digital copy etc so you don't really lose out....but there is a price differential and in this case I'll back away from my prior statement.

blairy

#10 scottnat

scottnat

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:02 PM

It's one that isn't mentioned much, so maybe i'm alone on this, but i got a real kick out of 'Coraline' in 3d. Thought it was charming and really gained something in 3d. Though it is more of an into-the-screen type depth approach than 'stuff popping out the screen' - goes for a sort of shoe box, puppetry stage effect.

#11 MLXXX

MLXXX

AV Forum Member

• 5,438 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:59 AM

It's one that isn't mentioned much, so maybe i'm alone on this, but i got a real kick out of 'Coraline' in 3d. Thought it was charming and really gained something in 3d. Though it is more of an into-the-screen type depth approach than 'stuff popping out the screen' - goes for a sort of shoe box, puppetry stage effect.

Animation is relatively easy to do in 3D (just set up a second "virtual" camera position if entirely computer generated, or use a second camera if capturing small physical models being moved and photographed frame by frame using stop motion). From memory, Coraline was done with stop motion. Also from my memory of viewing it a year ago, some of the motion seemed a bit jerky [the stop motion probably not being at a full 24fps at all times] which I felt impacted adversely on the 3D experience somewhat. Despite that I'd agree that 3D enhanced that animated movie.

Well in spite of all the poor and even bad reviews of HP Deathly Hollows Part II 3D I lashed out and biought it.

Haven't the 2D version yet.

The reviews are right vis a vis the 3D version.

In a word, terrible. :(

Elswhere on this forum I've commented to the effect tat you might as well try the 3D as it comes with BD., DVD, digital copy etc so you don't really lose out....but there is a price differential and in this case I'll back away from my prior statement.

blairy

The reviews of the 3D version of Deathly Hallows Part 2 are mixed, though there are some very negative reviews.

The worst 3D I've ever seen was in Clash of the Titans. It may be that the low standard of post-production 3D will never again be equalled.

A mid-quality post-production standard of 3D movie I saw was Alice in Wonderland. It didn't have the artifacts of Clash of the Titans but for me the simulated 3D was not interesting, except in some of the purely animated parts (which may well have been created with separate 3D views anyway).

My memory of Hallows Part 2 at the cinema a few months ago was that the 3D in early scenes in the cottage by the sea were very well done. Also some of the flying scenes at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry were well done [I imagine those scenes were probably computer graphics anyway making it easy to create 3D]. However much of the movie was dark drab and dreary as if set at night. The strength of the 3D was at about an everyday real life level (for my adult eyes) rather than the exaggerated strength many 3D movies have (e.g. the post-production 3D movie Thor).

Edited by MLXXX, 02 December 2011 - 06:45 PM.

#12 :)

:)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 08:49 AM

guys, wiht my 2d epson projector giving up the ghost ended up with a replacement epson 9000 projector that has 3D capability.

and very much enjoying the projector on 2D movies, but not tried it on 3D as such as not been a huge interest for me. but thinking to check out what its like in that department.

Going through my collection I do indeed have some 2D discs with 3D versions also included,

1. ocean wonderland

2. wild ocean IMAX

3. Tron legacy

not watched any of these yet even on 2D

I know animations can be done on on 2D relatively easily. But for the realism I am keen to check out some real life actual 3D filmed stuff. Got a feeling the imax wild ocean might be in that category ?

but wondering if any other movies people come across which are real 3D filmed....and worth watching hehe

#13 ashabobo

ashabobo

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 09:52 AM

guys, wiht my 2d epson projector giving up the ghost ended up with a replacement epson 9000 projector that has 3D capability.

and very much enjoying the projector on 2D movies, but not tried it on 3D as such as not been a huge interest for me. but thinking to check out what its like in that department.

Going through my collection I do indeed have some 2D discs with 3D versions also included,

1. ocean wonderland

2. wild ocean IMAX

3. Tron legacy

I know animations can be done on on 2D relatively easily. But for the realism I am keen to check out some real life actual 3D filmed stuff. Got a feeling the imax wild ocean might be in that category ?

but wondering if any other movies people come across which are real 3D filmed....and worth watching hehe

My fav's are

1. PIRATES 4- great depth and crystal clear ( shame about the movie though)

2. TAHITI ULTIMATE WAVE- awsome 3d scenery and yes you will get wet.

3. AVATAR- can't fault this transfer-

4.CAPTAIN AMERICA- Though converted in post it looks great-better than the THOR transfer which like HARRY POTTER was very dark and negated some of the 3d look.

What you would be looking for is something that is generally bright (lots's of daytime scenes) to really take advanage of the 3d effects .
Most movies concentrate on depth and very little in your face effects

#14 blairy

blairy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 02:20 PM

1. ocean wonderland

2. wild ocean IMAX

3. Tron legacy

Well, real 3D filmed is probably a case of interpretation. As ashabobo says Pirates 4 is fantastic in 3D, however there is a lot of CGI in this too B) .

Tron is another you should probably try but again plenty of CGI.

Resident Evil Afterlife is also very good.

Haven't seen it but my daughter speaks highly of SawVII.

And you may need to be a football afficionado to really appreciate this, but the 2010 FIFA World Cup Film is well worth the money. In part it's a travelogue of South Africa and is beautiful to look at. In part it's interviews that demo 3D in quite a simple but effective fashion. Of course the footage of football matches and crowds etc is sensational. The disc is done by Sony (who had the TV rights) and is obviously intended to showcase 3D...and does it very well :)

Of course Peter Gabriel's New Blood is one I've mentioned in this thread and it is fantastic.

As a guide I usually turn to the reviews on High Def Digest. Search fo '3D' on the reviews page. In my experience if they say it's good it generally is. More importantly, if they say it's bad, don't waste your money.

blairy

Edited by blairy, 24 December 2011 - 02:21 PM.

#15 KEF Ci2000

KEF Ci2000

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 03:01 PM

but there is a price differential

Amazing that Amazon Uk have 3D versions for 2-3 GBP extra than 2D, but it is $10-15 extra in Australia!! Makes it a bit of a no brainer

#16 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 05:14 PM

thnaks guys re the suggestions, have tron 2D and 3D , and both pirates 3D and the peter gabriel 3D sound very interesting to me.

by the way guys happened to check out the 3D for the first time today via the epson 9000 projector.

popped in the ocean wonderland 3D blu-ray
http://blogcritics.o...-wonderland-3d/

I have little interest in gimicky stuff 3D can be. And had little interest in 3D overall so far. but I can report was quite impressed with what the 9000 puts forth for 3D. The material is some real world filmed stuff. And with the projector you really get immersed in it. As though you really are amongst the coral reef. Feels like you can just reach out and touch the fish ! very real palpable !

At no time noticed any ghosting or cross talk or anything else disturbing to the experience. The picture was not dim by any means which is fault of many 3D experiences. instead was bright with good colour balance very good detail and the 3D creating a very beleivable sense of depth both coming out from the screen and going deep into the screen.

my little daughter who I put glasses on for a little while was quite thrilled she was running upto the fish reaching out and saying she had caught them ! hehe It got my wifes interest too. my wife who is probably still a bit luke warm by the whole projector thing really was quite impressed. She was saying it really was like imax. she calls my pj setup imax hehe

Other family were here today the glasses were being passed around between and there were a lot of oohs and ahhs hehe, with the family over very much wished I had another couple of 3D specs !

I think a good introduction to me for 3D in my home setup. to be honest have been little impressed with 3D on smaller screens as seems a little odd. especially probably with the material around. Imax in commercial theatre is about only 3D have enjoyed. and have to say the epson here is about the closest I have seen as recreation in a home setting. On that basis I think for the first time ever have to say 3D in the home...it has legs :D

now the question of what else to watch. I have tron 2D and 3D versions and not sure how will go watching an entire movie in 3D. there is such little real filmed 3D around. just how much of these real 3D documentaries can you watch. and also my wife for instance after a short while even though impressed with it all said she was getting a bit tired of wearing a couple of glasses. the epson over her own specs. I suppose good can wear the epson 3D glasses over yoru own specs but not sure how long term that is tolerable.

#17 709er

709er

AV Forum Member

• 3,665 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:39 PM

thnaks guys re the suggestions, have tron 2D and 3D , and both pirates 3D and the peter gabriel 3D sound very interesting to me.

by the way guys happened to check out the 3D for the first time today via the epson 9000 projector.

popped in the ocean wonderland 3D blu-ray
http://blogcritics.o...-wonderland-3d/

I have little interest in gimicky stuff 3D can be. And had little interest in 3D overall so far. but I can report was quite impressed with what the 9000 puts forth for 3D. The material is some real world filmed stuff. And with the projector you really get immersed in it. As though you really are amongst the coral reef. Feels like you can just reach out and touch the fish ! very real palpable !

At no time noticed any ghosting or cross talk or anything else disturbing to the experience. The picture was not dim by any means which is fault of many 3D experiences. instead was bright with good colour balance very good detail and the 3D creating a very beleivable sense of depth both coming out from the screen and going deep into the screen.

my little daughter who I put glasses on for a little while was quite thrilled she was running upto the fish reaching out and saying she had caught them ! hehe It got my wifes interest too. my wife who is probably still a bit luke warm by the whole projector thing really was quite impressed. She was saying it really was like imax. she calls my pj setup imax hehe

Other family were here today the glasses were being passed around between and there were a lot of oohs and ahhs hehe, with the family over very much wished I had another couple of 3D specs !

I think a good introduction to me for 3D in my home setup. to be honest have been little impressed with 3D on smaller screens as seems a little odd. especially probably with the material around. Imax in commercial theatre is about only 3D have enjoyed. and have to say the epson here is about the closest I have seen as recreation in a home setting. On that basis I think for the first time ever have to say 3D in the home...it has legs :D

now the question of what else to watch. I have tron 2D and 3D versions and not sure how will go watching an entire movie in 3D. there is such little real filmed 3D around. just how much of these real 3D documentaries can you watch. and also my wife for instance after a short while even though impressed with it all said she was getting a bit tired of wearing a couple of glasses. the epson over her own specs. I suppose good can wear the epson 3D glasses over yoru own specs but not sure how long term that is tolerable.

:) ...
IMAX Space Station

#18 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 03:01 PM

:) ...
IMAX Space Station

hehe wish seen this earlier as just back from JB. the imax discs go cheap.

but am not sure the wild ocean imax disc I have, though has a 3D intro just seems to play in 2D ! maybe there is some more 3D stuff on it, perhaps just havent come across it. anyone else played this disc ?

but yeah will look out for space station thanks :)

#19 709er

709er

AV Forum Member

• 3,665 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 03:14 PM

hehe wish seen this earlier as just back from JB. the imax discs go cheap.

but am not sure the wild ocean imax disc I have, though has a 3D intro just seems to play in 2D ! maybe there is some more 3D stuff on it, perhaps just havent come across it. anyone else played this disc ?

but yeah will look out for space station thanks :)

(Space Station) I don't think you can get it in Aus :unsure: Mine is from the US, but the clarity and depth is absolutely awesome!
I have Deep Sea, Ocean Wonderland, Space Station, Sea Rex and Tahiti - Ultimate Wave and they all have 3D that is continuous throughout their run-time.
Can't imagine an IMAX 3D film where the 3D is not evident :unsure: Something must be amiss with your viewing/playing of Wild Ocean.

#20 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 03:17 PM

(Space Station) I don't think you can get it in Aus :unsure: Mine is from the US, but the clarity and depth is absolutely awesome!
I have Deep Sea, Ocean Wonderland, Space Station, Sea Rex and Tahiti - Ultimate Wave and they all have 3D that is continuous throughout their run-time.
Can't imagine an IMAX 3D film where the 3D is not evident :unsure: Something must be amiss with your viewing/playing of Wild Ocean.

I'll check again 709. as mentioned was 3D to start with in the titles and then wasnt. but then was just fumbling around finding my way around all the settings perhaps I changed something in advertently.

sounds like your enjoying the imax 3D discs ? I am a fan of imax, but after this first one a bit cautious !

#21 MLXXX

MLXXX

AV Forum Member

• 5,438 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 03:47 PM

Al,
in my opinion Ocean Wonderland is an excellent 3D demonstration piece. [Sounds like something must have gone out of adjustment somehow when you were playing it, as you say.] These are some comments about it I made in another thread:

A nature documentary Blu-ray, Jean-Michel Cousteau's Ocean Wonderland 3D, is available for around $20. The sea life moves slowly and gracefully. The photography is breathtaking. (Unfortunately the whole show lasts only about 40 minutes.)

There's a scene, about 18 minutes in, of a large school of Yellow Tail Snapper. The school is divided into "squadrons" or clusters of the yellow snapper. The camera devotes a couple of minutes to the observation of the large school and its moving clusters. In 3D, each fish in each cluster is easy to identify. I found the scene fascinating to watch.

But if you switch the playback of that scene to 2D, the fish become hard to make out. There are just too many of them, with insufficient spatial clues to guess where they are and separate them. In fact the denser concentrations of the fish look like an amorphous mass. I did not find the scene particularly interesting when watching in 2D.

If I hadn't already been persuaded of the benefits of 3D film making, that scene alone would have persuaded me. It looks somewhat incoherent in 2D. In 3D, it really comes to life. :D

[Edit: I see there's another J-M Cousteau 3D Blu-ray available that includes two other 3D nature documentaries in addition to the one above, for an all up price of around $40.]

#22 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:22 PM

I'll check again 709. as mentioned was 3D to start with in the titles and then wasnt. but then was just fumbling around finding my way around all the settings perhaps I changed something in advertently.

sounds like your enjoying the imax 3D discs ? I am a fan of imax, but after this first one a bit cautious !

709 I checked imax wild ocean again and it does work. I can only imagine first time around I either had my inputs on the pj confused ie using the one with non 3D signal or other hand perhaps was viewing the fly over scene which has minimal 3D effect. otherwise some very decent real filmed 3D there with no gimickery. some very nice clean bright shots. the ones with the people dancing around, scenes fishing on the coast all the people scenes actually. nice though havent watched it all will have to come back to see the rest :)

Al,
in my opinion Ocean Wonderland is an excellent 3D demonstration piece. [Sounds like something must have gone out of adjustment somehow when you were playing it, as you say.] These are some comments about it I made in another thread:

mlxx my problem was with wild ocean, though resolved.

not to be confused with ocean wonderland 3D the cousteau film, which you commented on. below is my comments experienced yesterday
http://www.dtvforum....&...t&p=1768602

and I totally agree with what you have said

so far best 3D have seen on my system are the scenes you mention, anything from 9 min in is a stunner. at times there are fishes about an arms reach from you. just there ...to admire. lovely colours and details, it really feels as though in the reef there, either in a glass bottom boat or scuba diving amongst the fish there. and yes just so real I'm gob smacked to be honest.

swimming amongst the fishes am hooked on 3D :D hehe

went out to JB hifi with their sale and got pirates of the caribbean on stranger tides. not a movie my wife be much interested in to see ! but will check out next when get a chance :)

#23 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:52 PM

just posting from the epson thread,

finished watching my first whole 3D movie on the 9000. Watched pirates of caribean stranger tides 3D. Really enjoyed it, the 9000 does a wonderfull job on both the very dark night scenes and the ones in full sunshine showing off its dynamic range with 3D. There are some absolutely stunning scenes eg when jack sparrow comes through to the fountain of youth in the greens of the forest, peering through and to a droplet of water on the leaves. If I were watching it in 2D I would be amazed ! really does a wonderfull job on 3D I think this projector.

After watching this movie I think 3D projectors in the home has now reached that point like with the rest of HT where you can actually get a better experience in the home for 3D than in a commercial theatre in my opinion. ok maybe not quite imax due to its massive scale or say dual barcos or anything like that. but damn it for PQ and experience I get the feeling this is about as good as it gets ...can it get any better ? :)

~

so overall very impressed with my first 3D movie experience on the 9000. To me not having been that interested in 3D to start with an unexpected bonus ! :)

#24 709er

709er

AV Forum Member

• 3,665 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:02 AM

finished watching my first whole 3D movie on the 9000. Watched pirates of caribean stranger tides 3D. Really enjoyed it, the 9000 does a wonderfull job on both the very dark night scenes and the ones in full sunshine showing off its dynamic range with 3D. There are some absolutely stunning scenes eg when jack sparrow comes through to the fountain of youth in the greens of the forest, peering through and to a droplet of water on the leaves. If I were watching it in 2D I would be amazed ! really does a wonderfull job on 3D I think this projector.

After watching this movie I think 3D projectors in the home has now reached that point like with the rest of HT where you can actually get a better experience in the home for 3D than in a commercial theatre in my opinion. ok maybe not quite imax due to its massive scale or say dual barcos or anything like that. but damn it for PQ and experience I get the feeling this is about as good as it gets ...can it get any better ? :)

~

so overall very impressed with my first 3D movie experience on the 9000. To me not having been that interested in 3D to start with an unexpected bonus ! :)

I'm glad you feel the same way as I do. Was feeling like a bit of a traitor/mutant! :lol:
It is an incredible experience to have in your own home. It doesn't supercede 2D, or make 2D seem bland, it's just an extension of the whole HT experience :)

#25 blairy

blairy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:02 AM

~

Just be conscious Al that with Pirates you are probably watching the creme de la creme when it comes to 3D...there's also some pretty poor examples out there.

I'm glad you feel the same way as I do. Was feeling like a bit of a traitor/mutant! :lol:
It is an incredible experience to have in your own home. It doesn't supercede 2D, or make 2D seem bland, it's just an extension of the whole HT experience :)

When I got my 3D tv the fact it was 3D was a bit of a big deal and I truly expected it to be a gimmick. Provided you have the right material though it is defnitely a lot better than a gimmick :)