Panasonic Pt-ae7000 Review

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#26 709er

709er

AV Forum Member

• 3,571 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:21 PM

I had to bow out of the group buy for one of these babies earlier in the year when I had a few sudden financial obligations come up but I've sorted things out and am once again thinking of going the latest Panasonic.

There hasn't been much by the way of feedback on this model around these parts, however, which strikes me as rather odd considering how popular these seemed.

Anyway, anyone care to share their thoughts on the Panny AE7000 now that the excitement is over? I'm not asking for lengthy reviews, just interested in whether people were ultimately happy with their purchase or if they've got wandering eyes already...

Also looking retailer recommendations.

Thanks!

No wandering eyes in our camp!
Extremely happy with the overall performance. We only use eco lamp mode for both 2D and 3D viewing.
Spent alot of time mucking around with picture settings in the first couple of weeks, but now we are happy using just a handful of calibrated and personal picture memory sets.
Apart from excellent PQ, we love the 3 HDMI inputs, the backlit remote (including the assignable function key)and the low fan noise level.
If it had an automatic dust lens cover like my old Sanyo Z2000, there would not be much else wanting :D

Edited by 709er, 07 April 2012 - 02:55 PM.

#27 cashflag

cashflag

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:14 PM

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences, 709er. The Panny remains at the top of the list! Anyone else wanna help keep it there or maybe even bump it down a position? All opinions welcome!

Edited by cashflag, 07 April 2012 - 02:15 PM.

#28 Owen

Owen

AV Forum Member

• 11,922 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:39 PM

If native contrast ratio is important to you a JVC X30 should be on your short list, native contrast can be as much as 10 times better than the Panasonic and in a dark room that really makes a difference.

#29 :)

:)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:33 PM

personally I dont think you'll go wrong with the pana. if looking for viable other alternatives, the epson 9000 has a longer warranty in 3.5 years. and with a THX out of box performance that is very natural in picture. then theres the wireless hdmi you get as well which can be handy. plus the epson is a bit cheaper in price. essenstialy what you have here is a projector in a couple of flavours in the epson and the pana. giving you the choice to pick either that best suits your needs in what are two very good options :)

#30 Owen

Owen

AV Forum Member

• 11,922 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

essenstialy what you have here is a projector in a couple of flavours in the epson and the pana.

Correct, both are LCD with relatively low native contrast, thats why I suggested the JVC LCoS with its much greater native contrast and smoother more film like image. There is also Sony SXRD and DLP to consider so its best not to limit the options to LCD.

Edited by Owen, 07 April 2012 - 10:33 PM.

#31 gllp

gllp

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:10 AM

Edited by gllp, 09 April 2012 - 02:06 AM.

#32 cashflag

cashflag

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

Thanks for weighing in, guys.

I suppose I should mention that the AE7000 inititally caught my eye because of the motorised lense memory feature which would be perfect for my (non-anamorphic) CIH setup. I've been doing the adjustments manually but since I plan on updating my equipment, figure I'll gladly let my next projector take care of that business.

Unfortunately, that immediately eliminates the Epson 9000 as a contender - otherwise I'm sure it'd be right at the top.

I have considered the JVC X30 but the ridiculous mark up by the Aussie distributor is off-putting. I guess importing is an option but I'll obviously have no warranty to fall back on should something go wrong. I'm also in a rental so without 100% light-control, I was thinking that the increased contrast performance over the Panny could be wasted. Finally, I haven't heard the greatest things about the 3D and that the Panny is as good, if not better, than the JVC in that department which makes it harder to justify the extra expense. 3D is not a priority for me but I do intend to make use of the capability should I have it (which seems inevitable).

I'm upgrading from a well-worn Epson TW1000 so I anticipate I'll be impressed, regardless.

Thanks again, gang.

Edited by cashflag, 08 April 2012 - 02:47 PM.

#33 gllp

gllp

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

Edited by gllp, 09 April 2012 - 02:06 AM.

#34 Owen

Owen

AV Forum Member

• 11,922 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:37 PM

As long as the room is completely dark the superior contrast of the JVC will be clearly visible in dark scenes even in a room with white walls and ceiling, so a bat cave is not required.

For the 2D performance offered the X30 is really cheap even with comparatively high Oz pricing, you can spend double the price on a non JVC projector and still not match the 2D performance.

For 3D a cheap DLP is the best option, many people have one just for 3D and save the good projector for 2D.

The best all round 2D-3D projectors are probably the Sony SXRD projectors, better contrast and smoother image than the LCD's and probably better 3D performance as well. The base model should be suitably priced so check them out.

#35 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

AV Forum Member

• 3,595 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:48 PM

My next purchase will be a 4k PJ. It is a long way away I hope and will not purchase the first generation models of other brands. The Sony will probably be on its fourth generation before the mainstream enter the market. This will be the ultimate viewing experience when 4k peripherals and source material start to filter into the market.

Edited by MRCRIST, 09 April 2012 - 03:49 PM.

#36 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

AV Forum Member

• 3,595 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

As long as the room is completely dark the superior contrast of the JVC will be clearly visible in dark scenes even in a room with white walls and ceiling, so a bat cave is not required.

For the 2D performance offered the X30 is really cheap even with comparatively high Oz pricing, you can spend double the price on a non JVC projector and still not match the 2D performance.

For 3D a cheap DLP is the best option, many people have one just for 3D and save the good projector for 2D.

The best all round 2D-3D projectors are probably the Sony SXRD projectors, better contrast and smoother image than the LCD's and probably better 3D performance as well. The base model should be suitably priced so check them out.

Agree with your comments above however JVC need to improve their standard warranty before I consider them.

#37 Chicken Man

Chicken Man

AV Forum Member

• 6,281 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:31 PM

This looks interesting, though .................rediculously priced at $55,000.

http://www.digitalpr...11/Default.aspx

* It may have been discussed before, but I don't think the possibility of a 2560 x 1080p format is going away anytime soon.

Why Epson hasn't introduced a native cinemascope LCD projector by now is quite puzzling, surely there's a market out there to be exploited..... even I would buy one. :wub:

C.M

A brief round up on projectors ....

http://www.electroni...gets_and_rooms/

Edited by Chicken Man, 09 April 2012 - 07:03 PM.

#38 Owen

Owen

AV Forum Member

• 11,922 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:01 PM

Agree with your comments above however JVC need to improve their standard warranty before I consider them.

If you want longer warranty just buy an extended one from a third part warranty provider.
My JVC is almost a year old so I will have to decide soon if I want extended warrant cover, dont think I'll bother as I doubt it will fail before it is replaced by the next JVC with a new optical block design, probably next year.

#39 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

AV Forum Member

• 3,595 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

If you want longer warranty just buy an extended one from a third part warranty provider.
My JVC is almost a year old so I will have to decide soon if I want extended warrant cover, dont think I'll bother as I doubt it will fail before it is replaced by the next JVC with a new optical block design, probably next year.

I think I will wait for the 2nd or 3rd gen 4k projectors. I have decided that the next PJ I buy will be a quantum leap in video 'wow" factor. It just becomes a very expensive excercise updating for incremental noticable improvements which are akin to moving up "steps" rather than one "big quantum leap".

Given my viewing environment improvements in resolution would have a larger impact than that of contrast. And I assume by then that depending on the brand you purchase improvements in contrast will be part and parcel of the 4k technology.

PS Can you post a pic of that "contrast improved" improvised construction around your screen you mentioned a while back . I have actually seen one that is an "off shoot" coming from the main room (which is actually adorned with light coloured furnishings and walls + ceilings). This "off shoot" is painted black and has the screen situated in it. It is very effective. To keep WAF he has a "constantina" like door (hope spelt correctly) that he can pull accross the opening.

Edited by MRCRIST, 16 April 2012 - 01:55 PM.

#40 Chicken Man

Chicken Man

AV Forum Member

• 6,281 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

Edited by Chicken Man, 15 April 2012 - 06:35 PM.

#41 709er

709er

AV Forum Member

• 3,571 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:25 PM

Haven't played with the 7000 much since purchasing well over a year ago.
Today, thought I'd take a look at the lens memory function.
Totally impressed! Saved my standard settings before fiddling, then increased the picture to maximum zoom at our PJ installation distance (around 3.7m), and brought the image up to around a 125 inch (16:9) diagonal.
Bonus issue, is that the zoomed image is displayed on the lower section of the screen (can be adjusted vertically if wanted), which means less lower masking.
For some reason I had always imagined the PQ would be somewhat degraded at that zoom - not to mention light output, but WOW, it looked fantastic.
I was also very pleased that after saving my 2nd (new enlarged) setting, upon returning to "normal", the picture returned to the exact original position. Nice :thumbsup:
I guess most members have checked these features out on their PJ's, but to a "stick in the mud" like me, it really was a pleasant surprise :)

#42 :)

:)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:49 PM

Nice one 709 :) exploring like this finding something, trying a feature, feels like you just got a new toy ! :D

Definitely be pretty handy in your setup I would imagine :)

#43 709er

709er

AV Forum Member

• 3,571 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:54 PM

feels like you just got a new toy ! :D

Exactly :yes: