• Please log in to reply
624 replies to this topic

#426 Slattery

Slattery

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:45 PM

How does fox sports at 8.8 mbps mpeg 4 HD compare to Sky Sports HD in the UK. Does anyone know?

#427 Hosko

Hosko

AV Forum Member

• 2,915 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:41 PM

Ok, but i'm sure these trucks can transmit HD & SD.

What i'm getting at is do we have definitive proof that Se7en are actually filming in HD? Just having the HD trucks there may not be enough - they could have paid for the use of the trucks, thinking initially that they'd film & transmit in HD (as Foxtel were led to believe), but have since changed their mind, & instead filmed/transmitted in SD instead. Maybe they weren't able to revert back to the SD trucks for whatever reason......

They have used a Gearhouse HD truck for Friday and Sunday afternoon football for the last several years. The truck works in HD, the cameras all work in HD however they have chosen not to use a HD feed back to their studios and down-convert to SD.

#428 ambrose22

ambrose22

AV Forum Member

• 9 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:29 PM

Here in Canberra we get four AFL games a week on 7mate this year undelayed, which is quite an improvement. However, tho 7mate is capable of 1080, 7 are so far not showing matches in real hd, even tho it seems from this thread that they are recording in hd. Are they cutting off their viewers' noses to spite Foxtel? Not a pretty sight!

#429 Wags

Wags

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

Are they cutting off their viewers' noses to spite Foxtel? Not a pretty sight!

Wouldn't surprise me........ass clowns!

#430 wheelz

wheelz

AV Forum Member

• 4,299 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:42 PM

Here in Canberra we get four AFL games a week on 7mate this year undelayed, which is quite an improvement. However, tho 7mate is capable of 1080, 7 are so far not showing matches in real hd, even tho it seems from this thread that they are recording in hd. Are they cutting off their viewers' noses to spite Foxtel? Not a pretty sight!

Do you really think they would give a HD feed to the cities that recieve the footy on 7mate and give a SD feed to the majority of they country who see it on 7? Now that would cause an uproar.

#431 dkint3

dkint3

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:07 PM

Do you really think they would give a HD feed to the cities that recieve the footy on 7mate and give a SD feed to the majority of they country who see it on 7? Now that would cause an uproar.

Well, that's exactly what Nine are doing with the NRL...

SD on 9 in NSW/QLD/ACT, HD on GEM in VIC/SA/WA/TAS (incl. Live Friday nights) and on FOXTEL

#432 wheelz

wheelz

AV Forum Member

• 4,299 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:35 AM

Nine might do it but 7 never will for AFL.

#433 Wags

Wags

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:41 AM

Well, that's exactly what Nine are doing with the NRL...

SD on 9 in NSW/QLD/ACT, HD on GEM in VIC/SA/WA/TAS (incl. Live Friday nights) and on FOXTEL

Nine has a big share in Foxtel. They win either way.

#434 dkint3

dkint3

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:07 PM

But Seven and FOX share HD broadcast equipment for the Australian Open Tennis, don't they?

I know that is probably a different contract set up altogether, but if they can cooperate with HD on tennis..
(even if Seven decides they only want to air it in SD but FOX can take both?...)

#435 Hosko

Hosko

AV Forum Member

• 2,915 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:33 PM

Nine has a big share in Foxtel. They win either way.

Channel 9 don't own any share in Foxtel

But Seven and FOX share HD broadcast equipment for the Australian Open Tennis, don't they?

They don't share any equipment
http://www.sportcal....articleid=85409
http://www.globaltv....alian-open-deal

#436 doodlefeatures

doodlefeatures

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:12 AM

Channel 9 don't own any share in Foxtel

They don't share any equipment
http://www.sportcal....articleid=85409
http://www.globaltv....alian-open-deal

So much fancy equipment used by Gearhouse, pity ch 7 don't let us get any real benefit from it...

#437 Slattery

Slattery

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:50 PM

Changed the Fox Footy logo I see, however still claiming HD for channel 7 games...

#438 Junkyard

Junkyard

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:01 PM

because they drove a HD truck to darwin, the sharks v eels game is in SD now

i would of prefered this game to be in HD.

#439 Wags

Wags

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

Haw V Ade game probably the best a ch7 has looked IMO.

#440 BigVic

BigVic

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:01 PM

A League Grand Final looked superb in native HD. The way sports should be broadcasted.

#441 Slattery

Slattery

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:55 AM

It should've been in 3D!!!

#442 darockk

darockk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:10 PM

Foxtel has reserved only a single transponder for HD coverage of the Olympic games. This means they'll be squeezing in 8 HD channels (with fast motion sport in many cases) onto a single transponder. This would mean an average of just under 6 Mbps bitrate per channel which is a complete joke for sports channels in HD, Viewers certainly noticed the drop in quality with 7 channels per HD transponder and now Foxtel are pushing the boundary of crap quality even further!
Both the Comm Games and Winter Olympics had an average bitrate of 8 Mbps.
Looks like the suckers that are going to pay a premium to watch the games by Foxtel are going to be served up with low quality crap.

you keep calling us suckers for paying for foxtel. how do you manage to scan these channels and NOT have to pay for it???

#443 davmel

davmel

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

you keep calling us suckers for paying for foxtel. how do you manage to scan these channels and NOT have to pay for it???

With free DVB scanning software and a cheap DVB-S or DVB-C tuner card. It's not rocket science to analyse the data stream and get the statistics.
You certainly can't get those details with any crappy equipment that Foxtel provide.

#444 pc9

pc9

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:39 AM

With free DVB scanning software and a cheap DVB-S or DVB-C tuner card. It's not rocket science to analyse the data stream and get the statistics.
You certainly can't get those details with any crappy equipment that Foxtel provide.

Do you think Foxtel will use the 8 HD services per transponder for the summer Olympics as a test to do the same for their regular HD services?

Footnote: am watching the UEFFA Cup soccer in 720p on SBS HD at the moment and I would rate it superior to any of Fox Sports HD services. SBS of late have really lifted their game with HD broadcasting.

#445 Ralfi

Ralfi

AV Forum Member

• 3,086 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:47 AM

Footnote: am watching the UEFFA Cup soccer in 720p on SBS HD at the moment and I would rate it superior to any of Fox Sports HD services. SBS of late have really lifted their game with HD broadcasting.

I thought it looked good (on a 42" screen & slightly worse on a 58" screen), but better than Fox Sports???? Better than AFL HD (for Fox games)? This is surprising & VERY disappointing if true. Are you sure???

What size screen are you watching on?

#446 davmel

davmel

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:10 AM

Do you think Foxtel will use the 8 HD services per transponder for the summer Olympics as a test to do the same for their regular HD services?

It's almost guaranteed that if most people don't complain about the London Olympics quality that they will go ahead and put 8 HD channels on each transponder. They used the Comm games to test if 6 HD channels was possible and then following the games put 6 HD channels on all the HD transponders.

It's not so much that SBS has improved their HD quality, but that Foxtel has degraded their quality below that of FTA. Foxtel did the same for SD channels and is doing the same for HD channels.

#447 DrP

DrP

AV Forum Member

• 16,740 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

Considering how the picture quality of FTA has declined*, that's saying something.

*no, this isn't a stab at multichannelling, the picture source is most of the issue here

#448 BigVic

BigVic

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:03 PM

Going to watch the Final on SBSHD, recording the game and comparing it with ESPN HD.

#449 pc9

pc9

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:09 PM

I thought it looked good (on a 42" screen & slightly worse on a 58" screen), but better than Fox Sports???? Better than AFL HD (for Fox games)? This is surprising & VERY disappointing if true. Are you sure???

What size screen are you watching on?

Apologies - I should have added one qualification. I'm watching SBS HD on VAST (Mpeg4) - picture quality is clean as a whistle. Definately better than ESPN HD coverage of the UEFFA tournament. Having said that, when I switch over to terrestrial SBS hd its not that far behind VAST in PQ.

SBS HD seems to have a lot more native HD programming at 720p than previously. Find myself watching a lot more FTA these days...........my Austar HD sub is hanging on by a thread (thanks to the 5 AFL games each week in native HD) but suspect there's more compression around the corner on the Foxtel/Austar HD services.............if they move to 8 HD channels for each transponder.......I'm definately outa there.

#450 pc9

pc9

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:11 PM

Apologies - I should have added one qualification. I'm watching SBS HD on VAST (Mpeg4) - picture quality is clean as a whistle. Definately better than ESPN HD coverage of the UEFFA tournament. Having said that, when I switch over to terrestrial SBS hd its not that far behind VAST in PQ.

SBS HD seems to have a lot more native HD programming at 720p than previously. Find myself watching a lot more FTA these days...........my Austar HD sub is hanging on by a thread (thanks to the 5 AFL games each week in native HD) but suspect there's more compression around the corner on the Foxtel/Austar HD services.............if they move to 8 HD channels for each transponder.......I'm definately outa there.

PS: I'm watching on a Samsung 51" series 5 (entry level FHD) plasma.