11 replies to this topic

#1 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,647 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 02:27 AM

Table of Digital Radio programs

Now includes the web addresses for the digital broadcasters

Please notify here of any missing program streams or errors.

There is 118 separate programs being radiated in Australia who are using 13 x 50 kWerp transmitters. Remember that networked programs are radiated by more than one transmitter.

AlanH

Edited by alanh, 17 October 2011 - 12:00 AM.

#2 MLXXX

MLXXX

AV Forum Member

• 5,411 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:18 PM

Alanh, I glanced at the listings for Brisbane. I think the entry for community broadcaster 4MBS should be edited as the "digital sibling" is not called 4MBS, suggesting a simulcast. It has a different name and carries a different program.

As the broadcaster explains it:

( http://www.4mbs.com.au/digital )
About MBS light

Introduced in May 2011, MBS light is the new service offered by 4MBS ClassicFM to cater for the many listeners who like their classics light and entertaining. To listen to MBS light, you must have a digital radio. Most digital radios will receive both digital and FM radio transmissions which means you'll still be able to enjoy listening to 4MBS ClassicFM with the added bonus of being able to tune into the lighter music offered on MBS light.

Whether the main 4MBS program will transition to digital say 10 years in the future would depend amongst other things on sufficiency of bitrate. A classical music station at only 64kbps nominal would not suit a percentage of listeners. The station could expect a drop in subscription revenue from that segment of their listenership. You'd need DRM+, or a high bitrate DAB+, to satisfy demanding listeners.

#3 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,647 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:51 PM

MLXXX,
You will note that the digital sibiling ie. brother or sister to the main digital program broadcast by that broadcaster. So only a digital sibling is used when a broadcaster transmits more than one digital program.

Community broadcasters only get one channel so it is up to them whether they transmit a different program or simulcast. Where a different program name is used, I have used it which will indicate it's not a simulcast.

Alanh

Edited by alanh, 09 October 2011 - 12:59 PM.

#4 MLXXX

MLXXX

AV Forum Member

• 5,411 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 06:18 PM

MLXXX,
You will note that the digital sibiling ie. brother or sister to the main digital program broadcast by that broadcaster. So only a digital sibling is used when a broadcaster transmits more than one digital program.

Community broadcasters only get one channel so it is up to them whether they transmit a different program or simulcast. Where a different program name is used, I have used it which will indicate it's not a simulcast.

Alanh

AlanH, a different name is used. It is MBS light. It is indeed a different program. However, it does not appear on your table. You have 4 columns labelled 'digital sibling' and your entry in the first such column for the 4MBS broadcaster reads 4MBS, and the other columns are blank.

I repeat: there is no digital broadcast of the main 4MBS classical music program.

Edited by MLXXX, 09 October 2011 - 06:51 PM.

#5 GoForMoe

GoForMoe

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 06:37 PM

So this useless and inaccurate crap gets a sticky while http://www.dtvforum....showtopic=85126 sits back in the old forum?

I'll never understand this site.

#6 DigitalRadioNow

DigitalRadioNow

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 01:16 AM

So this useless and inaccurate crap gets a sticky while http://www.dtvforum....showtopic=85126 sits back in the old forum?

The moderators clearly don't understand the DAB+ conversations, I have returned to the site and am very disappointed.

#7 DigitalRadioNow

DigitalRadioNow

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 01:17 AM

Whether the main 4MBS program will transition to digital say 10 years in the future would depend amongst other things on sufficiency of bitrate. A classical music station at only 64kbps nominal would not suit a percentage of listeners. The station could expect a drop in subscription revenue from that segment of their listenership. You'd need DRM+, or a high bitrate DAB+, to satisfy demanding listeners.

Quality comment, very good understand of their predicament. I think they should've put their sub carrier station, Silver Memories to digital instead. It is a most useful station for those who are elderly.

#8 newtaste

newtaste

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:04 AM

In Sydney, all the community stations are simulcasts of their FM stations, except for Hope 103.2 (2CBA) which is Inpsire on digital, as indicated.

Sky Sports (2KY) has 3 digital stations, Sky Sports Radio 1 (simulcast of AM), Sky Sports Radio 2, and Sky Racing World (audio of the Foxtel channel).

2SER is missing from the Sydney list.

The Brisbane list has Grandstand 2, yet the other lists have the correct name of ABC Extra.

SBS 6, which is the BBC World Service, is missing from the lists.

The Sydney list has the digital name of 2BL as 2BL, when it is 702 ABC Sydney, which is the name of the AM station. There are other similar innacuracies, such as MIX 106.5 being listed by it's call sign 2WFM. And The Edge Digital is clearly a digital station of the MIX 106.5 licence not the WSFM licence as the list states. (This ACMA report states that the licensee of MIX 106.5 broadcasts The Edge Digital http://www.acma.gov....report_2280.pdf )

When has ABC Classic in Sydney ever been called 2Classic or had that call sign?? The call sign has always been 2ABCFM and the digital station name is ABC Classic FM same as the FM.

#9 MLXXX

MLXXX

AV Forum Member

• 5,411 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:16 AM

Thanks Newtaste for going to the trouble of listing a wider range of anomalies. I had noticed a number of these myself before my post #2 but decided to focus on a single anomaly. I thought AlanH might find a single correction easier to digest, yet even that single correction appears to have proven indigestible...

I think they should've put their sub carrier station, Silver Memories to digital instead. It is a most useful station for those who are elderly.

I suppose Silver Memories with its special subcarrier receivers has taken a while to establish in aged care facilities.

That thread often includes bitrate, and provides an historical record of changes over time. I'm not sure what alanh is trying to achieve. He has provided no explanation. Rather than a pdf, using the following format at post #1 might work better for him, e.g.

City:

Broadcaster:

AM nnn kHz simulcast on DAB+ as
FM nn.n MHz (no simulcast on DAB+)
Other DAB+ streams:

This would particularly lend itself to the ABC and SBS, which have a plethora of DAB+ streams.

Edit: I see GoForMoe has set up a new thread:- Digital Radio Stations List

Edited by MLXXX, 12 October 2011 - 10:24 PM.

#10 DrP

DrP

AV Forum Member

• 16,740 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:57 AM

I'm not sure what alanh is trying to achieve.

A demonstration of his 'superior knowledge', perhaps.

#11 Digital Penetration

Digital Penetration

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:10 AM

I suppose Silver Memories with its special subcarrier receivers has taken a while to establish in aged care facilities.

ArtSound in Canberra is doing this as well. http://artsound.fm/silver-memories/

#12 MLXXX

MLXXX

AV Forum Member

• 5,411 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:21 PM

A demonstration of his 'superior knowledge', perhaps.

As if we had not seen ample demonstrations of this already.

I see GoForMoe has set up a new version of the above thread, which should be able to provide up to date information for any city if someone in that city is prepared to do the work. (I for one find the nominal bitrate of considerable interest.) GoForMoe's new thread is: Digital Radio Stations List.