14 replies to this topic

#1 Elill

Elill

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:20 PM

Hi,

We only get 7 and ABC (sometimes)....the arial guys say to get a 15ft pole due to our location.

.....dont want a 15ft pole on our roof.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about FTA satellite?

we're in Sydney, upper north shore

#2 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:43 PM

Hi,

We only get 7 and ABC (sometimes)....the arial guys say to get a 15ft pole due to our location.

.....dont want a 15ft pole on our roof.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about FTA satellite?

we're in Sydney, upper north shore

The criteria to access VAST FTA satellite is that you cannot receive reliable terrestrial reception with a high-gain terrestrial antenna 12 meters (40 feet) above the ground.

VAST commercial channels will also only be available 6 months before the analogue shutoff for Sydney, being 31 December, 2013. (So June/July 2013 at the earliest)

Anyone anywhere can have ABC and SBS via VAST now.

So according to the criteria, if an antenna on a 15' mast can provide you with digital terrestrial reception, you will not qualify for VAST satellite.

The other option is you can get the FTA channels via Foxtel, but if you are not already a subscriber, then it's a very costy exercise just for FTA channels.

#3 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,664 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:36 AM

Elill,
Get the best reception - Sydney Follow the instructions including the B58 link.
Please post any further posts on this topic in the Sydney Viewers' Forum. Include in this post, whether this is a brand new installation, if it's an existing installation, do you have analog reception.

MTV, it's not 12 m but 10 m.

AlanH

#4 Elill

Elill

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 07:29 AM

Many thanks for the advice

#5 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 07:28 PM

Elill,
Get the best reception - Sydney Follow the instructions including the B58 link.
Please post any further posts on this topic in the Sydney Viewers' Forum. Include in this post, whether this is a brand new installation, if it's an existing installation, do you have analog reception.

MTV, it's not 12 m but 10 m.

AlanH

Yes.. it's 10m not 12m... typo

Either way, if an installer has already tested the signals and determined a 15ft mast on the roof (with a suitable antenna) will provide reliable digital reception, it still precludes the OP from obtaining VAST commercial channels (unless the 15ft mast plus the house roof height is over 10 metres).

In short, if a mast and terrestrial antenna provides reliable digital reception, if the OP doesn't accept having the mast installed, they'll have to be satisfied with what reception they have now, or pay to have Foxtel, as they won't qualify for VAST (commercial channels.. at least not until June/July 2013).

#6 Elill

Elill

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:24 AM

Where do they measure 10M from?

Our house is 9m high, so plus the current mast its easily 10m

Problem is we live near the top of a valley and we've got a couple of blocks of units up the road which makes life difficult......

.....I'll get another TV guy around, we aint getting Foxtel.

#7 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:28 PM

Where do they measure 10M from?

Our house is 9m high, so plus the current mast its easily 10m

Problem is we live near the top of a valley and we've got a couple of blocks of units up the road which makes life difficult......

.....I'll get another TV guy around, we aint getting Foxtel.

10m from the ground.

I really don't see what the problem is with a 15 foot mast.

What do others in your area have for masts/antennas?

The terrestrial channels are much better than the satellite channels... unless you like the same scenery loops playing during the ad breaks.

You still can't get VAST commercial channels before June/July 2013.... unless you currently have Aurora satellite approved.

It's a stupid process.... if you have Aurora, then you can get all channels on VAST approved.... but you can't just get VAST authorised directly, so you'd need to buy and have activated... and Optus Aurora card. (after going through the signal site survey paperwork)... Then apply for VAST.... messy.

#8 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,664 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:41 PM

Elill,
Get an endorsed antenna installer to do a survey to see if you fit the cirteria. A 4 bay band 3 phased array should be tried. A band 3 high gain masthead amplifier should be connected as a last resort.

If this does not work then fill out of area form first and submit it as per the instructions. If you get a knockback, go and see you local Federal Politician to take up your case.

AlanH

#9 bassett

bassett

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:02 AM

Before you go running round like a head'less chicken. Check what sort of systems your neighbors are using. And simply duplicate it.

#10 Elill

Elill

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:42 PM

Most neighbours have foxtel, which we dont value.

Other neighbours have 15ft masts, which we this look completely s-house, so hunting around for some alternatives.

AlanH - thanks for the advice, I need to get an arial guy who really knows what he's talking about. The people who installed it came round and just said, yep 3m mast "might" fix it....

#11 nbound

nbound

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:23 PM

Most neighbours have foxtel, which we dont value.

Other neighbours have 15ft masts, which we this look completely s-house, so hunting around for some alternatives.

AlanH - thanks for the advice, I need to get an arial guy who really knows what he's talking about. The people who installed it came round and just said, yep 3m mast "might" fix it....

Not being there myself, i dont know exactly what was said, but keep in mind mounting aerials, especially in poor locations, isnt an exact science. Given that your neighbours all use the same he's -probably- right.

The thing you need to keep in mind is you can have no/little tv or you can have a relatively small mast and likely reliable reception.

VAST/Aurora is not a fun track to go down if ur outside of the remote eastern license area. Though if you just want ABC/SBS reliably then get it.

You may be able to get away with a higher gain aerial on a smaller mast, but be prepared to pay for it.

The area I work has some entire towns with 5-15m masts on each house, consider yourself lucky! :)

#12 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forum Member

• 2,834 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:51 AM

The area I work has some entire towns with 5-15m masts on each house, consider yourself lucky! :)

As a matter of interest, is planning approval required for these masts?

Or for that matter, satellite dishes over a certain size?

(And I'm not referring to heritage listed properties here, as that is a separate can of worms.)

eg, in SA, if I read it correctly, it seems only the following do not require a development application if located within council areas:

DEVELOPMENT REGULATIONS 2008 (NO 233 OF 2008) - SCHEDULE 3

Schedule 3—Acts and activities which are not development

A1—Application of Schedule 3

The following acts or activities are excluded from the definition of development (other than in respect of a State heritage place, or as otherwise indicated below).

12—Aerials, towers etc
        (1)         Other than in respect of a local heritage place or in the Hills Face Zone, the construction, alteration or extension of prescribed infrastructure (including any incidental excavation or filling) if—
            (a)         the total height of the prescribed infrastructure, when constructed, altered or extended, will not exceed (taking into account attachments (if any))—
                  (i)         in the case of prescribed infrastructure not attached to a building—
                        (A)         in Metropolitan Adelaide—7.5 metres or, in the case of prescribed infrastructure to be used solely by a person who holds an amateur licence under the Radiocommunications Act 1992 of the Commonwealth, 10 metres;
                        (B)         in any other case—10 metres;
                  (ii)         in the case of prescribed infrastructure attached to a building—
                        (A)         in a residential zone in Metropolitan Adelaide—2 metres;
                        (B)         in any other case—4 metres,
above the topmost point of attachment to the building, disregarding any attachment by guy wires; and
            (B)         in the case of prescribed infrastructure that is or incorporates, or has as an attachment, a microwave, satellite or other form of communications dish—the diameter of the dish will not exceed—
                  (i)         in a residential zone, or in a Historic (Conservation) Zone or a Historic (Conservation) Policy Area under the relevant Development Plan—1.2 metres;
                  (ii)         in any other case—2.4 metres.
        (2)         In the Hills Face Zone, other than in respect of a local heritage place, the construction, alteration or extension of prescribed infrastructure attached to a building if—
            (a)         the total height of the prescribed infrastructure, when constructed, altered or extended, will not exceed (taking into account attachments (if any)) 2 metres above the topmost point of attachment to the building, disregarding any attachment by guy wires; and
            (B)         in the case of prescribed infrastructure that is or incorporates, or has as an attachment, a microwave, satellite or other form of communications dish—the diameter of the dish will not exceed 1.2 metres.

Source

Edited by M'bozo, 12 October 2011 - 02:54 PM.

#13 bassett

bassett

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:21 PM

As a matter of interest, is planning approval required for these masts?

Or for that matter, satellite dishes over a certain size

(And I'm not referring to heritage listed properties here, as that is a separate can of worms.

eg, in SA, if I read it correctly, it seems only the following do not require a development application if located within council areas:

Anyone who knows me will tell you this is a pet subject of mine. Fight the good fight and all that rubbish,

Fact,, There has never been a successful prosecution concerning the right to own, erect and use a satellite dish.

As for heritage listed buildings, while the building might be listed the ground it sits on isn't. So drop a pole in the ground and hang
the dish on that. while they might not like a satellite dish on the roof, there's no argument over one on the ground.

While Councils will tell you approval is required, It's Not What there after is a fee, And while they will wave the finger and
threaten all sorts of fines and punishments. Frankly it means jack. Simply ask them how there intending to explain to there rate
payers, why so much tax payers money was wasted, when they loose the case.

If you want a couple of 3 meter dishs [or bigger] in your back yard , it's your business and not there's. Simply ask for a copy
of the required specifications, with relation to a satellite dish installation, Then while he's mumbling and muttering threats, Ask if a
Rotary cloths line also require a permit. And there far more dangerous, as they go round and round with the wind.

And if all else fails, Tell the little man, your a Buddhist Baptist, and you need the dish for your democratic right to practice
your religious freedoms. And your sure he knows about the Australian Constitution section on Religious freedom. Normally
they simply shake there heads and walk away, Mumbling words about Nut-Cases, while you enjoy your satellite dish, free of council
harassment.

#14 DrP

DrP

AV Forum Member

• 16,740 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:33 PM

the smiley face indicates brackets b, or brackets B, as required. If there is a way to get around this, I don't know it.

untick enable emoticons in the post editor.

#15 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forum Member

• 2,834 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:53 PM

untick enable emoticons in the post editor.

Thanks.

Just shows how little I know :)

Edited by M'bozo, 12 October 2011 - 02:54 PM.