Audi

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 laurie

laurie

AV Forum Member

• 6,389 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:54 PM

First it was BMW in May, and now Audi is embracing Australia's rapidly growing digital radio market. DAB+ allows users to view slideshows of album art covers, track and artist listings, weather, news and traffic reports. Giving buyers access to around 21 digital stations beyond Australia's regular FM and AM stations, the technology is offered as standard with the A8 4.2 FSI and 4.2 TDI, and as a $7500 option with the A8 3.0 TDI.

http://www.themotorr...to-options-list

Like GPS a total rip off :wacko:

cheers laurie

#2 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,597 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:21 PM

Laurie,
Please quote it in full "The package includes digital radio DAB+ and digital TV, combined with a BOSE Surround Sound system. Versions of the package are also available as a $3130 option for the A6 sedan and wagon, and for $3180 with the A7 four-door coupe."

Henry Ford once said, He would rather give the cars away free as long as he could sell the spare parts. Options are much like spare parts!

AlanH

#3 laurie

laurie

AV Forum Member

• 6,389 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 11:18 PM

Did I or did I not provide a link to the full story? The cost for the A8 3.0 TDI. is $7500 for a radio + TV + Bose do you think that is not a rip off!! tell me where the $7500 is spent,gee Alan sometimes........... :angry2:

laurie

#4 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,597 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:44 PM

Laurie,
I did not say that $3500 is justified either. For a car of that quality you may wish to install a Orion AVR6.1 This radio is designed and manufactured in Melbourne.

AlanH

#5 GoForMoe

GoForMoe

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:38 PM

Laurie,
I did not say that $3500 is justified either. For a car of that quality you may wish to install a Orion AVR6.1 This radio is designed and manufactured in Melbourne.

AlanH

But $1799 from JB is justified?

#6 MLXXX

MLXXX

AV Forum Member

• 5,370 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:11 PM

Options are much like spare parts!

It seems that way.

But $1799 from JB is justified?

But GoForMoe, look at the Australian website ( http://www.orioncara...ages/1000000312 ). It's a very special DAB+ radio:

CD quality radio transmission is now at your finger tips

This radio must be powerful enough to draw in some special DAB+ transmissions from overseas. We have no CD quality DAB+ transmissions in Australia. B)

#7 laurie

laurie

AV Forum Member

• 6,389 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 04:32 PM

Laurie,

AlanH

Well for once BMW is reasonable..well,why its an option on these prestige cars is anyone guess and what is the real cost to manufactures to include it as standard equipment?

The cost of the DAB+ option will vary from $900 to $950 depending on which model is purchased.

http://www.themotorr...a-from-may-2011

cheers laurie

#8 GoForMoe

GoForMoe

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 04:57 PM

Well for once BMW is reasonable..well,why its an option on these prestige cars is anyone guess and what is the real cost to manufactures to include it as standard equipment?

Well it's a $30 chip component plus some software. When looking for better software for my DAB+ USB device I found a lot of car PC forums that work with those sort of cheap components with custom software, and they seem to be doing it fairly cheaply (compared to the total unit cost).

I'd have assumed all these German cars would have standard DAB+ considering Alan's claims over their rollout progress.

#9 Digital Penetration

Digital Penetration

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 05:45 PM

Well it's a $30 chip component plus some software. When looking for better software for my DAB+ USB device I found a lot of car PC forums that work with those sort of cheap components with custom software, and they seem to be doing it fairly cheaply (compared to the total unit cost).

Did you try re-programming your device? I'm interested to try it, but can't find much detail on mp3car.com to build a usb interface.

#10 GoForMoe

GoForMoe

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:21 PM

Did you try re-programming your device? I'm interested to try it, but can't find much detail on mp3car.com to build a usb interface.

Nah, all that sort of stuff goes well over my abilities.

#11 DigitalRadioNow

DigitalRadioNow

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:47 AM

Not sure why you'd pay $7500 for a factory option that is standard in Europe. Various euro car audio places that reputable can enable this feature for much more realistic price - the service dept of a local Audi dealer suggested I do that than buy a 3.5 cable.