Nice looking amps but appear expensive

#2 GSpot

GSpot

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 03:50 PM

Nice looking amps but appear expensive

I agree to both. They are meant to be built like tanks though. And I could be wrong but I think I read somewhere that they guarantee to stock parts for the life of the unit...or something along those lines. :unsure: None of this "sorry but we can't get replacement drives for your expensive CD player" like some high end brands.

I have an MCD205 CD player BTW. It's nice. :)

#3 :)

:)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 04:11 PM

their valve jobbies are particularly special I reckon. theyre part of the D&M group dont forget, so a lot of shared designs. the denon POA partner to the AVP for instance is reportedly has a macintosh design basis. the mctintosh players are usually denon based as well :)

#4 GSpot

GSpot

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 07:41 PM

the mctintosh players are usually denon based as well :)

Mine is part Nakamichi too. :wub:

#5 bradp51

bradp51

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 09:25 PM

their valve jobbies are particularly special I reckon. theyre part of the D&M group dont forget, so a lot of shared designs. the denon POA partner to the AVP for instance is reportedly has a macintosh design basis. the mctintosh players are usually denon based as well :)

Well may go well for the future upgrade plans for a AVP and move the 3808 to the second system to replace my 1992 Onkyo TX70SV Pro. Love those VU meters on the front that tell you whats being delivered.

#6 Denon

Denon

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:28 AM

What would you be looking at with the mcIntosh stuff.

There processor are very Pricey.

#7 myrantz

myrantz

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,181 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:05 AM

What would you be looking at with the mcIntosh stuff.

There processor are very Pricey.

+1... I love the way HK retailers priced McIntosh - $xxx per week rather than the RRP... :lol:

#8 bradp51

bradp51

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:38 PM

+1... I love the way HK retailers priced McIntosh - $xxx per week rather than the RRP... :lol:

Must admit really only dreaming. But would be nice to have one of the 2 ch amps. MC452 perhaps.

#9 Denon

Denon

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:43 PM

Must admit really only dreaming. But would be nice to have one of the 2 ch amps. MC452 perhaps.

They do look nice. But the Musical Fidelity AMS100 will wipe it butt :lol: it all fun and game's.

#10 jliang70

jliang70

AV Forum Member

• 2,713 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:12 PM

Bit of waste to have 450watts sitting there when all you need is only a few watts. I would rather pay $7500 for 20 -30 watts rather than 450 watts as long as those 20-30 watts are better than 450 watts.

#11 :)

:)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:29 PM

Bit of waste to have 450watts sitting there when all you need is only a few watts. I would rather pay $7500 for 20 -30 watts rather than 450 watts as long as those 20-30 watts are better than 450 watts.

its not a waste when driving speakers that need the watts. eg B&W 802D-800D that are usually used with amps such as these. drive one of those speakers off 20-30 watts and what you will have is distortion city. as I experienced with even relatively easier load osbornes he was trying to drive off some valve mono blocs.

selection of power amp is very much dependant on speakers being used with them. you simply cannot adequately drive the bulk of speakers out there with 20-30watts. infact its a recipe for dissaster in many cases as the speakers will simply drive the amps to clipping which in turn will fry the drivers in the speakers in question.

#12 bradp51

bradp51

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:44 PM

They do look nice. But the Musical Fidelity AMS100 will wipe it butt :lol: it all fun and game's.

Why do you say that ? When listening to the high end stuff it may be only a small difference. Big call to say "wipe it butt" or perhaps you meant "wipe its butt". Fun and games.

#13 Denon

Denon

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:20 PM

Why do you say that ? When listening to the high end stuff it may be only a small difference. Big call to say "wipe it butt" or perhaps you meant "wipe its butt". Fun and games.

Na there no Small difference with the AMS100 Pure Class A of 100W of power truly a work of art. Yes fun and games.

#14 jliang70

jliang70

AV Forum Member

• 2,713 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:32 PM

its not a waste when driving speakers that need the watts. eg B&W 802D-800D that are usually used with amps such as these. drive one of those speakers off 20-30 watts and what you will have is distortion city. as I experienced with even relatively easier load osbornes he was trying to drive off some valve mono blocs.

selection of power amp is very much dependant on speakers being used with them. you simply cannot adequately drive the bulk of speakers out there with 20-30watts. infact its a recipe for dissaster in many cases as the speakers will simply drive the amps to clipping which in turn will fry the drivers in the speakers in question.

I don't see myself owning 802D-800D however I do see myself owning a couple of more Tannoys or Proacs in my life time and for me it is a waste to get 450 watts when all I need is probably a few watts. I heard 800 series B&W they don't suit my taste.

#15 matt200sr

matt200sr

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 03:23 PM

I'm in a positon to pick up a used MC352 for 5K.
McInstosh amplifiers really hold there value!

Anyone have experience with this power amplifer?

#16 jliang70

jliang70

AV Forum Member

• 2,713 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:45 PM

I'm in a positon to pick up a used MC352 for 5K.
McInstosh amplifiers really hold there value!

Anyone have experience with this power amplifer?

I have no experience with this amp however I don't believe you should buy an amp because it holds its value. The main priority is sound quality. Below is someone else's exprience with a 300B amp compare to a Mcintosh 501 amp

http://www.stereo.ne...ce-Two-on-ML3-s

So high output is not everything in selecting an amp. A lower output amp like Traformatic with 8 watts output easily blow away a pair of 500 watts Mac monoblocks in the right system.

#17 Guest_McAudio_*

Guest_McAudio_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:00 PM

I currently run a MC207 (7 channel) McIntosh power amp. I just upgraded from the MC206 (6 channel). I also have the old McIntosh laser disc player.

I think they are awesome and now that I have had them I would never buy anything else!

I also had the MX135 (Processor) and MVP871 (DVD Player) but sadly had to sell them. I replaced them with the Anthem AVM 50V processor and OPPO Blu-ray player. My system doesn't sound anywhere near as good as it did with the McIntosh and I am very sad not to be able to afford the upgraded gear from McIntosh. The second I have the money I will get my McIntosh system back. Nothing beats it...

By the way, I have noticed that the only people who bag McIntosh, are those who don't have it and just complain about the price. If you want the best, hand made in the USA, unfortunately you have to pay for it.

I highly recommend McIntosh to anyone.

#18 bradp51

bradp51

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:44 PM

I currently run a MC207 (7 channel) McIntosh power amp. I just upgraded from the MC206 (6 channel). I also have the old McIntosh laser disc player.

I think they are awesome and now that I have had them I would never buy anything else!

I also had the MX135 (Processor) and MVP871 (DVD Player) but sadly had to sell them. I replaced them with the Anthem AVM 50V processor and OPPO Blu-ray player. My system doesn't sound anywhere near as good as it did with the McIntosh and I am very sad not to be able to afford the upgraded gear from McIntosh. The second I have the money I will get my McIntosh system back. Nothing beats it...

By the way, I have noticed that the only people who bag McIntosh, are those who don't have it and just complain about the price. If you want the best, hand made in the USA, unfortunately you have to pay for it.

I highly recommend McIntosh to anyone.

thanks for the feedback cheers

#19 DigitalDave

DigitalDave

AV Forum Member

• 5 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:22 AM

Hi Bradp

Yeah mate I bought myself a McIntosh MC275 valve power amp about 6 months ago. What a beaut! I also compared it with the MC302 - I had both at home for a comparison. The MC302 solid state had a different characteristic obviously and was a wonderful piece of engineering, weighed something in the order of 50kg.

I just found, with the other kit in my system the MC275 had a bit of an 'x' factor, there was a certain emotional content when listening that just did it for me. I'm not sure what other valves amps are like, but the MC275 had heaps of grunt, power and speed, while having a rich mid range and vocals just sound awesome.

I think if I had of gone with the MC302 I would have been able to get just as much, maybe more joy out of it, but I would have had to have spent ALOT more, not only on the unit itself, but also on upgrading other components/speakers etc which is money I dit not have at the time.

I will be happy for a very long time with my MC275.

They are, as has been said, built like tanks!

#20 bradp51

bradp51

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:24 PM

Hi Bradp

Yeah mate I bought myself a McIntosh MC275 valve power amp about 6 months ago. What a beaut! I also compared it with the MC302 - I had both at home for a comparison. The MC302 solid state had a different characteristic obviously and was a wonderful piece of engineering, weighed something in the order of 50kg.

I just found, with the other kit in my system the MC275 had a bit of an 'x' factor, there was a certain emotional content when listening that just did it for me. I'm not sure what other valves amps are like, but the MC275 had heaps of grunt, power and speed, while having a rich mid range and vocals just sound awesome.

I think if I had of gone with the MC302 I would have been able to get just as much, maybe more joy out of it, but I would have had to have spent ALOT more, not only on the unit itself, but also on upgrading other components/speakers etc which is money I dit not have at the time.

I will be happy for a very long time with my MC275.

They are, as has been said, built like tanks!

thanks for the feedback

#21 Guest_McAudio_*

Guest_McAudio_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:28 PM

Just had a session driving my amp hard, to the point of clipping! WOW... That is some awesome hardware. If I wasn't watching the front panel I would never have known it clipped. The McIntosh walks the walk with it's safe guards!