All Ch's Perfect Except 10 & 1

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 coffeegirl

coffeegirl

AV Forum Member

• 46 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:29 PM

Hi, just wall mounted a TV in the bedroom. Dont have an aerial point. I dont think I'll get away with splitting what I already have. I had a new antenna put in a year or two back and everything was fine until I got a STB and then needed an amplifier. All OK since but if I split what's already there I think I'll stuff up the whole house. So bought a portable digital antenna panel with built-in amplifier for the bedroom. I can pick up all chanels except for 10 and 1.

SBS / ABC / even Ch 31 .. everything is perfect and picking up a strong signal (91) whereas 10 and 1 pick up 0

Am I missing something? Why is everything so strong and one be zero? Do I need to retune the TV or something??? I have never had a problem with Ch 10 in the house.

#2 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 08:53 PM

Hi, just wall mounted a TV in the bedroom. Dont have an aerial point. I dont think I'll get away with splitting what I already have. I had a new antenna put in a year or two back and everything was fine until I got a STB and then needed an amplifier. All OK since but if I split what's already there I think I'll stuff up the whole house. So bought a portable digital antenna panel with built-in amplifier for the bedroom. I can pick up all chanels except for 10 and 1.

SBS / ABC / even Ch 31 .. everything is perfect and picking up a strong signal (91) whereas 10 and 1 pick up 0

Am I missing something? Why is everything so strong and one be zero? Do I need to retune the TV or something??? I have never had a problem with Ch 10 in the house.

The signal reading is not likely to be accurate, especially if you are using an amplifier.

Different frequencies can behave differently, with different antennas and different locations, so it's quite common for one channel (or network multiplex) to be affected and not others.

A correctly-installed splitter with an outlet from the roof antenna to the TV will be the fix.

If you are already using a masthead/distribution amp, it's likely there will be sufficient signal to provide an extra outlet, however, you won't know for certain until you have the signal levels, especially signal quality, measured with a professional meter.

If the reception on your existing antenna outlets is reliable, then an additional outlet should be fine.... but accurate measurements will confirm if it's a simple split, or anything else which may be required.

#3 rapturedigital

rapturedigital

AV Forum Member

• 9 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:38 AM

How did you ascertain the above readings? 91 & 0. Were they the readings shown on the TV? - Where are you?

Edited by rapturedigital, 11 September 2011 - 10:39 AM.

#4 Tazzy2Heads

Tazzy2Heads

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 02:09 PM

Hi 'coffeegirl'

The built in amplifier in your indoor antenna could be making the signals too strong and overloading the tv tuner on 10, 11, and 1 so then the tv says no
signal or bad signal.
If the amplifier is adjustable turn it down to minimum and retune the tv to see what happens with ch 10 etc and go from there.You could also be picking up
interference from inside the house or close by which is being boosted up more than the tv signal and making the signal quality bad on ch 10 etc. If you are
in a brickveneer house with a metal roof there is probably foil in the outside walls and the signal is only coming in through the windows and doors as it
doesn't go through metal.
If that doesn't help it's back to 'MTV's' post.

Cheers Tazzy.

#5 coffeegirl

coffeegirl

AV Forum Member

• 46 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 07:40 PM

okay thanks for the replies.

The signal reading is going by the TV menu. I'm on outer south east Melbourne. I have tried a few different 'rabbit ears' which pick up no signal on any channels anywhere in our house. I purchased a Crest with built in amplifier which also picked up nothing. I bought the Aldi digital panel and all is working well now except aforementioned problem. Really if it comes down to having to get someone out and get a point put in etc etc. I'm not going to bother. I dont watch 10 for anything I can think of, DH just likes to watch ONE but not being able to watch Grand Prix at 2am in the bedroom is probably going to be the best thing that could happen for my sleep and sanity ;-)

The antenna on the roof currently has a splitter going into the Lounge and Living room. The amplifier isn't on the mast (at least I dont recall having a discussion about that or paying for one), it's at the TV in the lounge given this is the only place we had problems after the antenna was installed and was only due to having a new PVR (which I've heard can more be the quality of the PVR). When the antenna guy came out, he had a professional meter and went over everything. He said because we are on a hillside we are in a bit of an iffy spot. We used to get lots of problems with stations dropping out, weather related etc but since he came all that was rectified.

The built in amplifier in your indoor antenna could be making the signals too strong and overloading the tv tuner on 10, 11, and 1 so then the tv says no
signal or bad signal.

I dont think so, mainly because of the difficulty with low signal we've experienced in the past from the roof and also portables. You can turn off the amplifier, you cant adjust it but can turn it off .. but then the other channels drop. In brick veneer, but tiled roof. The antenna is presently in the WIR right up on highest most point near the roof and it's picking up whereas if it's lower down it picks up nothing or drops out. I think I'll try a retune and if 10&1 is the worst that we loose and the others are all okay I'll just leave it be. If I end up having problems with the others then I'll get someone out and look at getting the amplifier on the mast.

Edited by coffeegirl, 11 September 2011 - 08:20 PM.

#6 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 08:48 PM

........Really if it comes down to having to get someone out and get a point put in etc etc. I'm not going to bother......

If I end up having problems with the others then I'll get someone out and look at getting the amplifier on the mast.

You've contradicted yourself there. :)

You'll still need the extra outlet installed, regardless of whether you change the amp or not.

If your existing amp is an indoor model, you can't put it on the mast, but possibly in the ceiling, prior to the splitter.

#7 coffeegirl

coffeegirl

AV Forum Member

• 46 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:26 AM

Sorry what I meant is if the other channels start playing up by using the indoor digital panel then I'll get someone out to put in an extra outlet from the mast so I can ditch the portable, but if the bedroom reception continues to work as they are now (minus 10 and 1) then I'll just leave it.

#8 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:09 PM

Sorry what I meant is if the other channels start playing up by using the indoor digital panel then I'll get someone out to put in an extra outlet from the mast so I can ditch the portable, but if the bedroom reception continues to work as they are now (minus 10 and 1) then I'll just leave it.

Yes, that makes sense now.

You could try moving the indoor antenna around to different locations, but I think ultimately the fix is the extra outlet from the roof antenna.

#9 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,665 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:19 PM

K Darley, Eastern Creek is no where near SE Melbourne.

CoffeeGirl,
Follow http://www.dtvforum....opic=11399&st=0 and see if you are in the coverage area for Safety Beach translator.
The map is however for outdoor antennas.

Note the link to indoor antennas.

AlanH

#10 Malich

Malich

AV Forum Member

• 2,792 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:36 AM

K Darley, Eastern Creek is no where near SE Melbourne.

CoffeeGirl,
Follow http://www.dtvforum....opic=11399&st=0 and see if you are in the coverage area for Safety Beach translator.
The map is however for outdoor antennas.

Note the link to indoor antennas.

AlanH

Well done Alan - responding to a year-old thread revived by a spammer! You should try reading and understanding, not just reacting...

#11 DrP

DrP

AV Forum Member

• 16,740 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:16 AM

Oh dear. I guess alanh doesn't learn from the mistakes he's made in the past. This isn't the first time he's struck up a conversation with a spammer.

#12 jsmith

jsmith

AV Forum Member

• 6,085 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:34 PM

Posted Image

JSmith :ninja:

#13 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:45 PM

Ahhh... if only the mods would treat trolls like spammers.

#14 jsmith

jsmith

AV Forum Member

• 6,085 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:02 PM

... c'mon Col, just havin' a lark mate. :) ;)

#15 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:52 PM

... c'mon Col, just havin' a lark mate. :) ;)

hehe.... classic isn't it!

alanh doesn't need to prove anything.... he's repeatedly demonstrated his ability beyond any doubt. :lol:

#16 jsmith

jsmith

AV Forum Member

• 6,085 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:23 PM

hehe.... classic isn't it!

Is is... :lol:

... sorry mate I thought you meant me and/or DrP but you meant AlanH. :)

alanh doesn't need to prove anything.... he's repeatedly demonstrated his ability beyond any doubt. :lol:

This is very true... ;)