• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 dan76n

dan76n

DTV Forums Member

• 405 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:36 PM

Just wondering if this Is Possible?
I would Like to borrow an Austar box of my parents for the Rugby world cup.
They have two boxes and would happily loan one to me for this but will it work?
I would need to get a dish but Im guessing that wont be too hard on ebay.
They live in northern NSW where as I live on the Goldcoast.

Anyone see any issues with this?

#2 viewer

viewer

DTV Forums Member

• 810 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:29 PM

Yep will be ok.

When you get the dish, get a 10700 lnb, not 11300lnb

Try the tip for a dish and lnb...recycle section..usually plenty there.

#3 Tazzy2Heads

Tazzy2Heads

DTV Forums Member

• 302 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 11:18 AM

Hi 'dan76n',

The Austar box doesn't care where it is.

Have you ever installed a sat dish ? You are looking for a spot in the sky about the size of a 5 cent piece with no lead in signal, not like a terrestial tv signal.

Then you have to be on the right satellite .It can be very time consuming without a proper Sat Meter and knowing what your trying to do.Never the less there are just as many DIY's out there playing with sat tv as there are with terrestial tv.

I would be a bit wary of sat dishes from the tip, you would have to ask yourself why are they there, and what sort of treatment have they had along the way. If they have been treated roughly the LNB arm could be bent and Focal point out of whack.

I have seen some shocker $5 dishes people have expected to be installed when Select TV was on the go. Probably an Austar dish would be best as to others from the tip as they are a bit more robust . That is if you can find one .

Goodluck Tazzy.

#4 dan76n

dan76n

DTV Forums Member

• 405 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 04:18 PM

Thanks Guys,
I just had a chat to one of the Austar Kiosk reps and currently I can get a 6 month contract with free installation and the first 2 months are free and include 1 sport option, 2 general entertainment options and 1 movie option.
Added to this he was telling me I may get a free upgrade to mystar HD for the first three months.
This would cost me $172 for 6 months provided I cancelled the extra channels after 2 months and the Mystar HD after 3 months.
Is there any catches to this the sales rep may of forgot to tell me as this seems like an easier option?

#5 viewer

viewer

DTV Forums Member

• 810 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 04:58 PM

That's ok as an option, seeing as they wire it up etc..$30pm average pm then cancel or use the relo's box.

#6 dan76n

dan76n

DTV Forums Member

• 405 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 05:57 PM

I'm only really after it for the Rugby world cup and the HD broadcasting is a big plus after watching the last few matches on channel 9.
The guy I spoke to said the mystar HD box uses a different wall connection than the SD box. It sounded a bit weird to me but can anyone confirm this as I plan to have one wall socket in my media room and one in the living room. I want to watch the HD rugby on the bigscreen but standard watching is done in the living area.

#7 Tazzy2Heads

Tazzy2Heads

DTV Forums Member

• 302 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 06:49 PM

I'm only really after it for the Rugby world cup and the HD broadcasting is a big plus after watching the last few matches on channel 9.
The guy I spoke to said the mystar HD box uses a different wall connection than the SD box. It sounded a bit weird to me but can anyone confirm this as I plan to have one wall socket in my media room and one in the living room. I want to watch the HD rugby on the bigscreen but standard watching is done in the living area.

Hi 'dan76n'

An older standard Austar installation usually has only one cable and 'F' connector , a Mystar HD installation has two cables for vertical and horizontal polarity

signals that are switched to by sending different voltages up to the LNB, so there is two 'F' connectors on the wall plate.

If its a HD Mystar box you are borrowing the free to air terrestrial channels may not work at the new location unless you are tuning to the same transmitter

as I'm fairly sure the boxes are coded as such to work state by state to receive the correct transmitters for the state they are installed in.

If you are running the cables yourself you will need two cables at least at each Mystar HD box location for the present day requirements let alone what

is to come in the future from the wall plate up to the ceiling space where they are connected up with a multiswitch to the cables from the dish.

Hope that throws a bit more light on the subject for you . Tazzy

#8 dan76n

dan76n

DTV Forums Member

• 405 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 06:59 PM

Hi 'dan76n'

An older standard Austar installation usually has only one cable and 'F' connector , a Mystar HD installation has two cables for vertical and horizontal polarity

signals that are switched to by sending different voltages up to the LNB, so there is two 'F' connectors on the wall plate.

If its a HD Mystar box you are borrowing the free to air terrestrial channels may not work at the new location unless you are tuning to the same transmitter

as I'm fairly sure the boxes are coded as such to work state by state to receive the correct transmitters for the state they are installed in.

If you are running the cables yourself you will need two cables at least at each Mystar HD box location for the present day requirements let alone what

is to come in the future from the wall plate up to the ceiling space where they are connected up with a multiswitch to the cables from the dish.

Hope that throws a bit more light on the subject for you . Tazzy

Thanks Tazzy,

Im thinking Im better off taking the six month contract for a minimum of $172 as it seems a bit of effort for me.

If I get the MystarHD for free for 3 months and decide to go back to SD do they change the box or just lock HD channels out?
Also whats the likely hood of them installing a wall plate in two different rooms for me?

#9 Tazzy2Heads

Tazzy2Heads

DTV Forums Member

• 302 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 07:28 PM

Thanks Tazzy,

Im thinking Im better off taking the six month contract for a minimum of $172 as it seems a bit of effort for me.

If I get the MystarHD for free for 3 months and decide to go back to SD do they change the box or just lock HD channels out?
Also whats the likely hood of them installing a wall plate in two different rooms for me?

Not sure on that one ! someone else may help you there.

I know of cases where the terrestrial tuner in the standard Mystar box has given grief because of a bad signal area and they have supplied a HD box because it worked
as a quick fix, and have locked out as you say the HD channels .I guess it depends on what value the HD box is to them against sending out an installer again.

I would say any free installation offer would only be for one outlet and you will have to pay extra for the second one . Check with the sales guy and get it in

writing if he says yes when you sign up to avoid any confusion with the installer as to what he is to do. Tazzy.

#10 dan76n

dan76n

DTV Forums Member

• 405 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 07:54 PM

I would say any free installation offer would only be for one outlet and you will have to pay extra for the second one .

Cheers,
At worst I'm sure I can add an extra plate myself once the dish is up. Assuming it's just a case of using a splitter.

#11 Tazzy2Heads

Tazzy2Heads

DTV Forums Member

• 302 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 11:11 PM

Cheers,
At worst I'm sure I can add an extra plate myself once the dish is up. Assuming it's just a case of using a splitter.

You will need a multiswitch not a splitter if you have two Mystar HD boxes with two cables.

If the second box is only a standard basic Austar box you may be able to use a two way splitter with power passing on both legs connected into the cable with the horizontal polarity voltage from the Mystar box .I have never done that , technically it may not work , It's a bit late to think about . I think Austar would still use a two way multiswitch as if both boxes were HD boxes, I'm not an Austar installer , just move their stuff about when people reroof their houses
or move house etc.
An Austar installer could turn up here at any moment and say it's all B..S..t . Cheers Tazzy.

#12 dan76n

dan76n

DTV Forums Member

• 405 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 06:53 AM

You will need a multiswitch not a splitter if you have two Mystar HD boxes with two cables.

Would that be the case if I only had the one mystarHd box and was just moving it from room to room?
I don't want two boxes, I just want to be able to move it into my media room for the HD games then put it back in the living area on our tv.
I guess I could buy a long HDMI cable but that would be messy.

#13 mtv

mtv

DTV Forums Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 11:42 AM

Would that be the case if I only had the one mystarHd box and was just moving it from room to room?
I don't want two boxes, I just want to be able to move it into my media room for the HD games then put it back in the living area on our tv.
I guess I could buy a long HDMI cable but that would be messy.

It's not so much the number of decoders, but the number of outlets you need connected to the LNB.

If you have two cables in each of the two rooms, yes, you need a multiswitch.

You could use a quad LNB, but I don't recommend them, as the performance is nowhere near as good as a dual LNB with a multiswitch.

#14 Dan001

Dan001

DTV Forums Member

• 1 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 11:51 AM

Hi, I am the owner of an outsourced sales company that does promotions on behalf of Austar, (my answers will be in no way bias because of this), I have also had Austarfor the last 6 years and both mystar and mystar HD since they have been available.

As for borrowing your parents box, it had potential to work however it is not legal and I wouldn't reccomend doing it as your parents would risk losing their Austar and more.

In regards to the canceling the mystar after the free period and continuing with the standard service, you would keep the HD box, the recording and HD functions would be turned off.

Your best option would be to go with one of the deals available, it's the only way to see every single game of the RWC live.

If you want any more information or questions answered or if you would like someone to personally organise a the best deal you can get send me an email dan@dynamicmarketing.com.au and I will give you my contact number or grab yours

Edited by Dan001, 04 September 2011 - 11:52 AM.

#15 vallatv

vallatv

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:12 PM

i moved my dish twice my self, found a website that uses google earth to find your location then tells you where to pint the dish, had one of us inside checking the signal and one outside moving it and have got it at 68% and works fine. Bought a $10 satilite finder off ebay and it was useless.

#16 aeadie

aeadie

DTV Forums Member

• 2 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:00 AM

Hi All,

I have done what is being mentioned here (taken my second austar box to the mrs house.)

Mine is a reasonably new install (in last 2 years), whilst hers would be 6 or 7 years old maybe. When I first plugged the box in it searched and found all the channels and had a signal strength of 100. Each channell displayed what show was currently showing however I couldn't view anything, it gave me a red error message about waiting 15mins and trying again. Think it was E30 message.

So..... figuring it was because her satelite was old, I went in and changed the LNB to the old frequency and did a reboot and scan. Again found all the channels and the signal strength is 100 still. however now the error message is saying that bad weather could be causing issues.

Anyone had to do similar when sharing boxes? Can anyone help me??

Cheers
Alan

#17 mtv

mtv

DTV Forums Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:09 PM

Hi All,

I have done what is being mentioned here (taken my second austar box to the mrs house.)

Mine is a reasonably new install (in last 2 years), whilst hers would be 6 or 7 years old maybe. When I first plugged the box in it searched and found all the channels and had a signal strength of 100. Each channell displayed what show was currently showing however I couldn't view anything, it gave me a red error message about waiting 15mins and trying again. Think it was E30 message.

So..... figuring it was because her satelite was old, I went in and changed the LNB to the old frequency and did a reboot and scan. Again found all the channels and the signal strength is 100 still. however now the error message is saying that bad weather could be causing issues.

Anyone had to do similar when sharing boxes? Can anyone help me??

Cheers
Alan

The dish could have moved out of alignment... the LNB may have deteriorated in the weather, there may be water ingress in a connection, etc, etc.

First thing to check is the LNB and connections to it.

#18 aeadie

aeadie

DTV Forums Member

• 2 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:31 PM

The dish could have moved out of alignment... the LNB may have deteriorated in the weather, there may be water ingress in a connection, etc, etc.

First thing to check is the LNB and connections to it.

Thanks mtv for your reply. I was up on the roof and it seems all ok.
If i need to replace it, what would it cost me?