• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 clipper

clipper

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 10:39 AM

My local nurseryman, near Hobart, has a shack near Great Lake. He asked me about reception- mySwitch indicates good reception from MtW, just wondering what the ch levels are like, ie is an amp required?

#2 bellotv

bellotv

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:43 PM

My local nurseryman, near Hobart, has a shack near Great Lake. He asked me about reception- mySwitch indicates good reception from MtW, just wondering what the ch levels are like, ie is an amp required?

AlanH should be able to give you an accurate answer ,he's in perth ,but that shouldn't be a problem :P

Sorry Al ,couldn't resist B)

#3 HillsTas

HillsTas

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:18 AM

Hi Cliff,

Have sold a few DY10 & 14 antenna up at Todds Corner, they seem to work well, and possibly suggest he may need a Q-amp but not to buy one to start with. According to
Google Earth, the Path Profile seems pretty uninterrupted, so they should be right.

Cheers

Dave

#4 clipper

clipper

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:08 PM

Hi Cliff,

Have sold a few DY10 & 14 antenna up at Todds Corner, they seem to work well, and possibly suggest he may need a Q-amp but not to buy one to start with. According to
Google Earth, the Path Profile seems pretty uninterrupted, so they should be right.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for that Dave. Hope business is brisk for you. For me, it's 2 weeks flat out then two weeks of nothing much, small bits and pieces.

#5 Tazzy2Heads

Tazzy2Heads

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:50 AM

Hi 'clipper'

I've found MySwitch to vary from spot on to way out of whack , most of the time it is a ballpark indication of signals. I have found on some rural locations
the marker is in the middle of a property saying good signal , but when you go to the satellite picture and if you move it to the house if the house is in the
the photo the signal can then go to no signal. So really you don't know what you are up against until you get there, so you have to have all bases covered on
a job that far away unless you are going fishing for fish as well .Last time I was up that way the antennas went from combos to high gain yagi's as Dave
said depending on what they called ' reception ' I guess.
Cheers Tazzy.

#6 HillsTas

HillsTas

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:18 PM

Tazzy,

I do not use MySwitch much, I prefer Google Earth, the latest version has a pretty accurate path profiler in it and so far it hasn't let me down. Mind you, I hear what you are saying, and just because you "think" you know which antenna is right, carrying a range of antennas in your van, and above all, doing a site survey will trump Google Earth any day.

I suppose it depends on how avid a fisherman you are, doesn't it! ;)

Cheers

Dave

#7 clipper

clipper

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:50 AM

I use Myswitch just to give me an idea as to what to expect- plenty of times the job's in a "No Terrestrial Coverage" spot but with best possible antenna location and amp selection reasonable pre+post BER readings can be found (usually wind dependant)

I swapped my nurseryman the gear ( for plants) all connected up so he only had to screw in the mount and drill a hole under the floor and connect up the power injector- he reported back very happy to say SX and Win are great but couldn't get ABC- said he's only interested in getting footy and cricket, though his original need was for the kids to have something else to do! ( while he's fishing?)

#8 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forum Member

• 2,806 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 04:36 PM

I use Myswitch just to give me an idea as to what to expect- plenty of times the job's in a "No Terrestrial Coverage" spot but with best possible antenna location and amp selection reasonable pre+post BER readings can be found (usually wind dependant)

+1

Forewarned is forearmed.

Coupla weeks ago, Myswitch said this.

Path profiler showed this.

The pressure was on, as others in the immediate location had digital.

After a couple of hours testing various locations on the property (fortunately, it was quite windy), had it sorted.

#9 clipper

clipper

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:19 AM

Forewarned is forearmed.

The path profile ( I'm assuming from Gggl Erth) is not three dimensional? All ridge lines have saddles and gullies allowing signal to funnel through so you must have located a path of sorts through the apparent block. Can take some time to find the sweetest spot though eh?

#10 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forum Member

• 2,806 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:38 AM

All ridge lines have saddles and gullies allowing signal to funnel through so you must have located a path of sorts through the apparent block.

No, it's not a 3 dimensional representation, (I haven't worked out how to do that) but I had looked at the contours.

The site was located in a bowl like depression.

Probably a combination of diffraction over and around the rounded terrain obstacles, and possibly some atmospheric diffraction as well.

It also helps that the source Tx is 2MW on UHF.

And that's it's a digital signal.

All done with the trusty Unaohm T40 :D

#11 chriswoo

chriswoo

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:12 PM

Where do i fing path profile in google maps??