• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 StevenB

StevenB

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 04:59 PM

Can anyone tell me what the current duty (%) would be when bringing a stereo amp in from the UK ?????

#2 :)

:)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 05:24 PM

Can anyone tell me what the current duty (%) would be when bringing a stereo amp in from the UK ?????

steven depends if over $1k or not, check link below, basically duty 5%(item cost) + GST 10%(on item cost including any shipping and insurance) and plus any other charges for clearance etc when hits here,
http://www.customs.g...te/page5549.asp

if you are shipping from the uk, I can highly recommend interparcel in the uk, who are quite affordable give choice of shipper and include insurance etc :)

what amp you getting ?

#3 StevenB

StevenB

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 06:00 PM

steven depends if over $1k or not, check link below, basically duty 5%(item cost) + GST 10%(on item cost including any shipping and insurance) and plus any other charges for clearance etc when hits here,
http://www.customs.g...te/page5549.asp

if you are shipping from the uk, I can highly recommend interparcel in the uk, who are quite affordable give choice of shipper and include insurance etc :)

what amp you getting ?

Thanks Al - looking at an MF A5 integrated to upgrade on my A3.5 - I'd like an A5.5 to go with my A5.5 CDP but not many around these days ! I want an integrated as I don't have room for a pwr and a pre and I definitely need the HT bypass.

#4 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 06:16 PM

Thanks Al - looking at an MF A5 integrated to upgrade on my A3.5 - I'd like an A5.5 to go with my A5.5 CDP but not many around these days ! I want an integrated as I don't have room for a pwr and a pre and I definitely need the HT bypass.

good luck stevenB they do come up. so yeah matter of time. do check with gutty, he might be able to help you in your search with some pointers :)

#5 Gutty

Gutty

AV Forum Member

• 4,083 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:13 AM

Agree with Al, Interparcel are deffinitely the go. They contract to DHL and FedEx. I've used them 3 times(A5 pre, A5i and a Clearaudio TT) from the UK and in my experience DHL were the better option(faster and less customs hassles). Both times i used DHL all customs fees etc were inclusive. The only time i used FedEx i got slugged a couple hundred $$.

As for purchasing an A5, ebay is about your only option. Use ebay.co.uk and don't be afraid to ask sellers if they'll ship to Oz even if they don't state international shipping. They often seem to have a soft spot for their southern cousins. ;) In my requests i've had more say yes than no. And also look through completed listings for items that didn't sell. Don't expect them to drop a hundred off their starting price or anything, but they'll be more inclined to ship international. And as always, definitely use Paypal and buy through ebay when you can.

Good luck

#6 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:39 PM

Agree with Al, Interparcel are deffinitely the go. They contract to DHL and FedEx. I've used them 3 times(A5 pre, A5i and a Clearaudio TT) from the UK and in my experience DHL were the better option(faster and less customs hassles). Both times i used DHL all customs fees etc were inclusive. The only time i used FedEx i got slugged a couple hundred $$.

As for purchasing an A5, ebay is about your only option. Use ebay.co.uk and don't be afraid to ask sellers if they'll ship to Oz even if they don't state international shipping. They often seem to have a soft spot for their southern cousins. ;) In my requests i've had more say yes than no. And also look through completed listings for items that didn't sell. Don't expect them to drop a hundred off their starting price or anything, but they'll be more inclined to ship international. And as always, definitely use Paypal and buy through ebay when you can.

Good luck

yes I'd stress if buying from overseas then only buying via ebay and paying via paypal. as that is only protection will have. with interparcel I have found DHL beaut as well. very prompt and efficient. and do take out insurance interparcel offer as things do get damaged at times when being sent from overseas. with something as heavy and bulky as the mf amps I'd suggest try to only buy one that is going to be sent in original packing otherwise your completly at mercy of sender as to what they see fit. which might not be suitable really for the intercontinental trip !

#7 StevenB

StevenB

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:52 PM

yes I'd stress if buying from overseas then only buying via ebay and paying via paypal. as that is only protection will have. with interparcel I have found DHL beaut as well. very prompt and efficient. and do take out insurance interparcel offer as things do get damaged at times when being sent from overseas. with something as heavy and bulky as the mf amps I'd suggest try to only buy one that is going to be sent in original packing otherwise your completly at mercy of sender as to what they see fit. which might not be suitable really for the intercontinental trip !

Thanks all for the advice - have purchased an MFA5 integrated over ebay from the UK (GBP 935 delivered) - was well packed and sent via UPS. Took 5 days to get home delivered and cost me $234.11 in brokerage, duty, GST and customs clearance charges.

#8 Gutty

Gutty

AV Forum Member

• 4,083 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:40 PM

Thanks all for the advice - have purchased an MFA5 integrated over ebay from the UK (GBP 935 delivered) - was well packed and sent via UPS. Took 5 days to get home delivered and cost me $234.11 in brokerage, duty, GST and customs clearance charges.

Nice one ! Enjoy ;)

#9 myrantz

myrantz

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,181 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:44 PM

Nice one ! Enjoy ;)

+1.. Congrats, and enjoy!

#10 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:50 PM

very nice amp steven ! congrats ! :)

#11 StevenB

StevenB

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:05 PM

very nice amp steven ! congrats ! :)

Thanks everyone - the A5 is up and running and what a difference to the A3.5 - much bigger sound !!!!

#12 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:23 PM

Thanks everyone - the A5 is up and running and what a difference to the A3.5 - much bigger sound !!!!

fantastic steven, great enjoying the benefit of the upgrade. a beaut amp indeed :)

#13 StevenB

StevenB

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:15 PM

fantastic steven, great enjoying the benefit of the upgrade. a beaut amp indeed :)

Thanks Al - I think you know how long I've been chasing an A5 or 5.5 integrated. The next step to the pre/pwr will have to wait a while (I would need new unit to fit it all in !!) and the wife thinks I've reached the end of the upgrade path.

Regards

#14 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:05 AM

Thanks Al - I think you know how long I've been chasing an A5 or 5.5 integrated. The next step to the pre/pwr will have to wait a while (I would need new unit to fit it all in !!) and the wife thinks I've reached the end of the upgrade path.

Regards

hey steve, yeah you have been looking for a while, the beaut thing with the amp is will keep you covered for just about anything, so wont need to worry about upgrades. just enjoy :)

#15 M&K Freak

M&K Freak

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:50 PM

Great to hear of another happy A5 listener. I love my gear, the A5 Pre was the biggest and most noticeable upgrade to my listening pleasure, closely followed (a little earlier :|) by the KI Pearl.

Enjoy.

Edited by M&K Freak, 22 September 2011 - 03:50 PM.

#16 Gutty

Gutty

AV Forum Member

• 4,083 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:44 AM

Probably should post some pics in the Club MF thread ;)

#17 StevenB

StevenB

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:06 AM

Probably should post some pics in the Club MF thread ;)

Some picks of my gear (these have the MF A3.5 which has now been replaced with an MF A5 integrated)

http://www.dtvforum....t...ost&id=9493[/img]

http://www.dtvforum....t...ost&id=9492[/img]

#18 arthur63

arthur63

AV Forum Member

• 49 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:54 PM

Can someone advise me how you go about the import duty / GST payment.
When your item lands in Australia, does the air cargo courier eg Fed Ex collect the duty / GST on behalf of customs before your goods are released or do you have to lodge the appropriate declaration form and payment with Customs.
I went onto the Customs web site which details the duty / GST and lodgement fees payable but not sure if you have to lodge paper work and payment first with Customs or wait for the air cargo courier to contact you on arrival of your goods.
Any advice on the procedure would be appreciated.

#19 Chopsus

Chopsus

AV Forum Member

• 14,735 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

Ths is about 14 years ago, but we had to go to customs, answer some questions about the shipment, then pay for its release.

Edited by Chopsus, 29 December 2012 - 10:11 PM.

#20 jliang70

jliang70

AV Forum Member

• 2,742 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

When your item lands in Australia, does the air cargo courier eg Fed Ex collect the duty / GST on behalf of customs before your goods are released or do you have to lodge the appropriate declaration form and payment with Customs.
I went onto the Customs web site which details the duty / GST and lodgement fees payable but not sure if you have to lodge paper work and payment first with Customs or wait for the air cargo courier to contact you on arrival of your goods.

I have not deal with Fed Ex but have dealt with both UPS and DHL. The courier company will act as your custom broker. They will contact by phone or send you a letter. With DHL send me a letter and asked me about the content of the imported goods and then I just paid the outstanding duty over the phone with credit card. With UPS they actually called me and over the phone told me about the outstanding duty and I paid over the phone with credit card. Both DHL and UPS send me a detail invoice for the duty via email. Once the duty is paid the goods deliver the very next day. You don't have to do any paper work at all because the goods are generally declared by the seller and courier company collect the duty for the Australian custom.

#21 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:47 PM

depends very much on courier company, last item I got from the states duties etc were payable and just got a letter from customs asking me to fill out an import declaration. this is regardless of the declaration from person shipping at the other end. after that was sent in and processed they then send you an invoice which once paid and cleared the item is then sent on via the courier company. the whole thing given paper work involved clearance payment transfers etc can easily end up taking a couple of weeks.

one other item when received at the airport was rung up to come pick it up and pay the required charges before pickup.

these are exceptions to other courier companies have used where items are customs cleared by them. so yeah very much dependant on company used :)

#22 Chopsus

Chopsus

AV Forum Member

• 14,735 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:24 PM

one other item when received at the airport was rung up to come pick it up and pay the required charges before pickup.

This is what happened to us - we were instructed to "attend in person" IIRC.

#23 arthur63

arthur63

AV Forum Member

• 49 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:00 AM

Thanks guys for all your responses. I'm considering purchasing a turntable from the UK next year. Even with duties / GST there is still a saving to be made. I try to support local retailers but when you're looking at saving up to $1K it's hard to ignore the internet :)

#24 Chopsus

Chopsus

AV Forum Member

• 14,735 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:04 AM

Can't blame you for that arthur.

#25 bassett

bassett

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:31 AM

You will receive an e-mail from Customs, asking you to phone there free number 1800 111 112, When you do you will be asked for the consignment number,
Then they will tell you what payments are due and how would you like to pay. And basicly that's it, once you've paid, the goods are cleared by Customs and
are shipped the normal way, by Courier or Aust Post. If it comes Fed-ex they transfer to Star Track Couriers UPS normally go through Toll, If it's under 20 kilo's
they will automatic transfer it to Aust Post if your outside there normal delivery route..

When you ring Customs your going to be switched to "who Knows where" and get a nice man called Chappy Benjamin who will e-mail you a recipt for your
payment. I don't know if there all called Chappy, but I've scored him a few times. This will give you a little idea on charges, for a consignment worth around $1600

CUSTOMS DUTY 78.35
IMPORT DEC N10 AIR CHARGE (GOODS VALUE > $1000) 40.20
GST ("ON IMPORTATIONS") 177.63
WET 0.00
AQIS − ENTRY CHARGES AIR 15.00
TOTAL AMOUNT PAYABLE 311.18

Edited by bassett, 30 December 2012 - 09:34 AM.