• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Soporose

Soporose

AV Forums Member

• 14 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:04 PM

Hi folks.

I have a Dick Smith HD STB Model GH5926 purchased in January 2010, and it has worked fine up until last night.

Switched on the TV to watch a digital channel last night and the box is powering itself off and on multiple times per minute.

If the STB is turned off at the wall for a while then powered up again, it seems to work fine for about five minutes or a bit less, but then it starts its on/off dance again.

This is the unit.

Of course it's now seven months out of warranty! Do any of you tech guys think this is fixable, or worth fixing?

TIA

#2 andy08

andy08

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 03:27 PM

Hi folks.

I have a Dick Smith HD STB Model GH5926 purchased in January 2010, and it has worked fine up until last night.

Switched on the TV to watch a digital channel last night and the box is powering itself off and on multiple times per minute.

If the STB is turned off at the wall for a while then powered up again, it seems to work fine for about five minutes or a bit less, but then it starts its on/off dance again.

This is the unit.

Of course it's now seven months out of warranty! Do any of you tech guys think this is fixable, or worth fixing?

TIA

Is the button on the remote stuck ?

#3 Soporose

Soporose

AV Forums Member

• 14 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 04:45 PM

Is the button on the remote stuck ?

I think not.

I have both the original remote and a universal remote that the STB functions are programmed into. No difference using either.

I also removed both remotes so there was no way they could send a signal to the STB, then turned the unit off at the wall, left it a a few minutes, powered up again, and after a minute or so it starts the cycling dance again.

#4 bellotv

bellotv

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 06:48 PM

I think not.

I have both the original remote and a universal remote that the STB functions are programmed into. No difference using either.

I also removed both remotes so there was no way they could send a signal to the STB, then turned the unit off at the wall, left it a a few minutes, powered up again, and after a minute or so it starts the cycling dance again.

Most likely the power supply has failed.Usually faulty capacitors.
For $49 ,I'd toss it and get a new one.

#5 Soporose

Soporose

AV Forums Member

• 14 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:56 PM

Thanks, I have bought a replacement.