• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 dan76n

dan76n

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:46 AM

Im looking at offloading some Blu rays/DVD's to some family members that live interstate and wanted to get some views on the best cost effective ways to do this?
Is there a sweet spot in how many you can post in one parcel to get the best value?
I would like to include cases.

#2 Chopsus

Chopsus

AV Forum Member

• 14,387 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:54 AM

The sweet spot is one at a time as large letters.

This might help to

Edited by Chopsus, 06 August 2011 - 09:55 AM.

#3 dan76n

dan76n

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:17 AM

Cheers,
I was looking for that thread ;)

#4 Chopsus

Chopsus

AV Forum Member

• 14,387 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:52 AM

Cheers,
I was looking for that thread ;)

There would be a point at which a box full would work out cheaper - probably around 5+ disks though.

IIRC it actually works out cheapest to buy one of the Red prepaid 3 kg bags for around $9 (??) if you plan to send a lot - 7+ discs with cases

#5 IanD

IanD

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 12:25 PM

1 Bluray title will fit in a C5 envelope and as long as it is less than 125g can be posted as a large letter for $1.20 = $1.20/title

2 Bluray titles side-by-side will fit in a C4 or B4 envelope and as long as it is less than 250g, can be posted as a large letter for $1.80 = $0.90/title

4 Bluray titles will fit in a 500g satchel for $6.60 = $1.65/title

16 Bluray titles will fit in a 3kg satchel for $11.20 = $0.70/title

38 Bluray titles will fit in a 5kg Express satchel for $20.85 = $0.55/title

Assuming the thicker Bluray cases: numbers will be greater for the thinner USA cases.

Numbers will be smaller if protection (eg a box or bubblewrap) is used.

Interstate postage is often cheaper with satchels, but it depends on the deemed dimensions.

Intrastate postage as a parcel is often cheaper than the satchels.

The Ebay satchels are the cheapest 500g and 3kg satchels to use ($5.50 and $9.35 respectively) with Click&Send, but can only be obtained online and the satchels themselves must be paid for too. For an extra $1, you effectively get registered postage for the satchel too.

I recommend wrapping cases in clingfilm and tape to protect from scuffs and to hold the parcel in shape.

#6 dan76n

dan76n

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 05:16 PM

Thanks Ian, you've just done all the hard work for me.
Can you just clarify if the C5,C4 and B4 envelopes have prepaid postage included?

#7 yorac

yorac

AV Forum Member

• 24,335 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 05:57 PM

I think this is who Australia Post are using nowadays......

#8 brake

brake

AV Forum Member

• 2,186 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 07:32 PM

Ian pretty much covered everything.

I use to use C5 prepaid evelopes for $1.70 each and send single BD titles in that, but what I do now is just wrap the BD up in 2 pieces of A4 paper and send it like that and it costs $1.20. I only save .50c and it's not even about the money I just think it's easier because I can do it whenever and I kind of like wrapping them up.

#9 Dreamcazman

Dreamcazman

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 07:41 PM

I don't think I'd use envelopes to send discs of any kind especially in their cases.

The way AP handles stuff, I wouldn't expect anything to arrive in one piece.

#10 Chopsus

Chopsus

AV Forum Member

• 14,387 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:28 PM

I don't think I'd use envelopes to send discs of any kind especially in their cases.

The way AP handles stuff, I wouldn't expect anything to arrive in one piece.

Actually, I think Aus Post are rougher when bubblewrap is involved - it's as though they feel they can jump all over it.

I do exactly what Brake does (2 A4 sheets ans sticky paper) and am yet to get a report of a broken one

#11 mwd

mwd

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:42 PM

Never had a problem with those padded bag envelopes

#12 IanD

IanD

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:34 PM

Can you just clarify if the C5,C4 and B4 envelopes have prepaid postage included?

My list is a rough guide only and not exhaustively covering the cheapest arrangement for every possible situation or postage product. Postage in Australia is complex and it pays to do your own research in advance. Remember that parcels posted within Australia are deemed for weight by dimension as well as actual weight.

The Aus Post online calculator is useful for comparing postage costs if you know your item weight and dimensions.

I was just quoting envelope size and postage cost if you use your own envelope.

Prepaid envelopes are generally more expensive than an equivalent envelope plus postage for weights up to 250g. Their main advantage is that they can contain contents up to 500g and so tend to be cheaper if you are sending 1 or 2 titles that weigh more than 125g or 250g respectively (often standard thickness cases with more than 2 discs). A standard case with 1 or 2 discs generally falls within the 125g limit.

I haven't had much success with prepaid envelopes as I often found they took longer to deliver, but they can be a cheaper alternative in certain situations.

I tend to bubblewrap USA cases as they still generally fit within a plain envelope thickness limit, but thicker cases are too thick to do this. Padded bags and thicker cases can exceed the thickness limit for letters. It's a lottery whether it becomes a problem as I think Aus Post mainly do checking at the counter and not once it's in the system (although they might do random spot checks and catch you out), unless an item is grossly overweight.

Standard cases are remarkably robust: adding extra protection mainly helps to prevent superficial damage from penetrating objects. If a heavy weight is going to break a case, then a cardboard box or bubblewrap will probably not help much. Eco cases do not survive that well in comparison.

Edited by IanD, 06 August 2011 - 10:39 PM.

#13 Adelaideltpc

Adelaideltpc

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:28 PM

WHY THE HECK IS A THREAD LIKE THIS PINNED?
There are threads which should be pinned but they are not - such as "Australian Retail/online Blu-ray Bargains ", "Amazon USA", Amazon.uk" etc....

Which mod was on drugs????

#14 :)

:)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:17 AM

never mind :rolleyes:

#15 Adelaideltpc

Adelaideltpc

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:47 PM

thats a bit rude on the mods :huh:

you just have to ask re those threads if want them pinned. but realistically just how many threads we going to have pinned and the one you mentioned pretty much stray in the fore most days in any case with constant use. so pinned by default.

threads like these likely quite usefull for those constantly posting discs, as many would do in the trade, buy lend sell, pass around, pay forward and borrow threads. disc postage given the constantly reducing cost of discs something want to not waste money on guess and most rather use the most cost effect means which is what I guess this thread highlights :)

Do you have to grab every opportunity to suck up to the mods??? Gee.... give them a break will you!

"pinned by default"??? at the moment only one of them on the 1st page, where are the others???

Do you seriously think that this thread is worth to pinned more than the fore mentioned threads? Those who "constantly" posting discs already know there isn't many options available via Aust Post, and the costs are fixed. So one just have to go to a local Post office to find out... well one needs to to go there to post the item/s anyway!!!

#16 :)

:)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 06:56 PM

got an email from ebay other day re postage, wondering if anyone have given it a go for Blu-ray/DVDs and particularly box sets and what the rates do actually work out at ? cheaper than the post office ? and how does it work exactly ?

Post with confidence using the full
range of Flat-Rate Postage products
Australia Post and eBay have teamed up to bring you a suite of flat-rate postage products to help make managing your postage cheaper, easier - and trackable! There's no more weighing and measuring - now you'll know exactly what to charge for postage.

Post items up to 15kg anywhere in Australia
Available in three standard sizes:

Small great for DVDs, books, small toys..
Medium great for handbags, magazines, shoes..
Large great for towels, toys, clothing..

Find out more about the new flat-rate boxes

Another great way to sell most of your items
Available in two sizes:

500g satchel great for CDs, accessories, mobile phones..
3kg satchel great for clothing, books, toys..

Find out more about the new flat-rate satchels

The newly launched eBay postage centre is your one-stop shop for tips, tools and information on postage services on eBay.

Check out the great range of features available on the
eBay postage centre page

#17 jsmith

jsmith

AV Forum Member

• 6,000 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:03 AM

WHY THE HECK IS A THREAD LIKE THIS PINNED?
There are threads which should be pinned but they are not - such as "Australian Retail/online Blu-ray Bargains ", "Amazon USA", Amazon.uk" etc....

I agree there are too many pinned topics in this sub-forum that have minimal current relevance.

JSmith :ninja:

#18 Wags

Wags

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:12 AM

Im looking at offloading some Blu rays/DVD's to some family members that live interstate and wanted to get some views on the best cost effective ways to do this?
Is there a sweet spot in how many you can post in one parcel to get the best value?
I would like to include cases.

Post them at your wifes workplace with all her stuff for free, and express post! Well.......thats what I do! :lol: