Game Of Thrones

• Please log in to reply
219 replies to this topic

#26 Ralfi

Ralfi

DTV Forums Member

• 3,056 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:14 PM

Magnificent series! The guy who played the dwarf delivered the most natural performance i've seen in ages.

#27 Venus

Venus

DTV Forums Member

• 958 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:02 PM

Magnificent series! The guy who played the dwarf delivered the most natural performance i've seen in ages.

And picked up a Golden Globe award this week for his efforts. Well deserved too.

#28 com5984

com5984

DTV Forums Member

• 2,736 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:55 AM

It was well deserved, a great character

#29 Chopsus

Chopsus

DTV Forums Master

• 13,369 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:45 AM

You might want to check out this:
(the Station Agent)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0340377/

and this
(threshold)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460686/

I've been a fan of his work for a while now.

#30 HomerJ

HomerJ

DTV Forums Member

• 746 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:09 AM

Game of Thrones down to $45 on Amazon US!

#31 Venus

Venus

DTV Forums Member

• 958 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:40 AM

Slightly off topic, but Book 1 of GoT is currently free on Kindle. http://www.amazon.co...27926066&sr=1-9 It's an enhanced version for iDevices but also loads as normal on a regular kindle.

#32 David Williams

David Williams

DTV Forums Member

• 667 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:57 AM

Game of Thrones down to $45 on Amazon US!

The UK version seems to have a bonus extra disk?

#33 tonyjg

tonyjg

DTV Forums Member

• 3,083 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:12 PM

The UK version seems to have a bonus extra disk?

don't get too excited - Exclusive bonus disc: An 18 minute high definition piece regarding ‘creating the visual effects' for the first series. Get a firsthand look at the visual effects used to bring Game of Thrones to HBO, from towering castles and sweeping landscapes, to complex stunts and fight sequences.

OMG .. 18mins.... I'll have to add that to the trillion minutes of extras, commentaries, deleted scenes that i have awaiting on other discs that I own :)

Further : mmmmm wondering if the local distributor (Warner) will find it hard to shift this series - and reduce prices much like what happened to Boardwalk Empire ??

#34 David Williams

David Williams

DTV Forums Member

• 667 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:55 PM

OMG .. 18mins.... I'll have to add that to the trillion minutes of extras, commentaries, deleted scenes that i have awaiting on other discs that I own :)

Given no VAT or postage from amazon uk (I preordered it) I think the extra disc is worth the extra $1 it's going to cost me @ today's exchange rates.

#35 Dr.Taco

Dr.Taco

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:19 AM

I have a bad feeling that, even as popular as the show is, I think the sales will flop like Boardwalk Empire. Most people don't want to spend $50 on a DVD anymore. I'll still be grabbing the BR off Amazon UK, haven't seen this show yet.

#36 David Williams

David Williams

DTV Forums Member

• 667 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:09 AM

Most people don't want to spend $50 on a DVD anymore.

It will be at least $80 here as the local retailers and distributers try and gouge us. No wonder we buy O/S

#37 Priory

Priory

DTV Forums Member

• 889 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:29 AM

It will be at least $80 here as the local retailers and distributers try and gouge us. No wonder we buy O/S

Fixed :ninja:

#38 David Williams

David Williams

DTV Forums Member

• 667 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:26 PM

Didn't need fixing mate. They are just as bad as each other.

#39 cooksta

cooksta

DTV Forums Member

• 2,133 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:51 PM

Are there any known differences between the US and UK versions. Looking at the UK version but not if its been cut.

#40 HomerJ

HomerJ

DTV Forums Member

• 746 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:57 AM

First review is up http://www.blu-rayde...ray-review.html

#41 roachy

roachy

DTV Forums Member

• 815 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:54 AM

Also the blu-ray.com review up http://www.blu-ray.c...y/25599/#Review

#42 Ralfi

Ralfi

DTV Forums Member

• 3,056 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:32 PM

Must-own. So much good will come from this purchase.

#43 cooksta

cooksta

DTV Forums Member

• 2,133 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:56 AM

I have a bad feeling that, even as popular as the show is, I think the sales will flop like Boardwalk Empire. Most people don't want to spend $50 on a DVD anymore. I'll still be grabbing the BR off Amazon UK, haven't seen this show yet.

I suspect the problem with Boardwalk Empire is that it has not screened on fta. I bought it on recomendations on this forum and have enjoyed the series.
Game of Thrones is another that I have on preorder and cant wait for that to arrive, looking at the review posted ^^ looks like it will be well worth the wait. :phone:

#44 HomerJ

HomerJ

DTV Forums Member

• 746 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:59 AM

JB has a special edition coming with Bonus Disc and Photo Book for $65:

http://www.jbhifionl...-blu-ray/661392

#45 Sievers

Sievers

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:41 PM

Currently $34.99 on Amazon.com , a steal at that price.

I predict this series will sell very well for HBO, the show built its audience greatly as the series progressed and it has a broader appeal than the slower paced Boardwalk Empire (which I enjoy greatly as well). Everyone I know that has watched GoT loves it and watched the entire series within a couple of days.

#46 Venus

Venus

DTV Forums Member

• 958 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:04 AM

So Amazon UK says their set is region free. The US site says region 1 for DVD but doesn't seem to mention Blu ray region. Anyone know?

#47 HomerJ

HomerJ

DTV Forums Member

• 746 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:36 AM

Currently $34.99 on Amazon.com , a steal at that price.

$3.50 per hour, a bit better than many new release movies that can cost about $25/hr. Plus with GOT you will need 3 or more viewings to get into all the characters and sub plots. A bargain indeed!

The reviews are raving about PQ and AQ on this set. It will put Foxtel's HD showing to shame. I can't wait to see this in full 1080p and hear it in DTS-MA!!

My order is with Amazon which I placed when their free shipping was active and with the 2 pound discount voucher - so works out about same a Amazon US with shipping. Amazon UK will also ship about 2 days earlier and will probably have faster standard delivery.

Edited by HomerJ, 24 February 2012 - 09:37 AM.

#48 Adelaideltpc

Adelaideltpc

DTV Forums Member

• 1,772 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:22 PM

So Amazon UK says their set is region free. The US site says region 1 for DVD but doesn't seem to mention Blu ray region. Anyone know?

The US is also region Free - according to http://dvdworldusa.c...xd.asp?id=83657

#49 Ralfi

Ralfi

DTV Forums Member

• 3,056 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:11 PM

My order is with Amazon which I placed when their free shipping was active...

Did they recently end the free shipping? (I tested the price of this set only a couple of days ago, when it was free shipping)..

#50 Chopsus

Chopsus

DTV Forums Master

• 13,369 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:19 PM

Did they recently end the free shipping? (I tested the price of this set only a couple of days ago, when it was free shipping)..

I don't think so .... Just tried and it's definitely not free shipping