• Please log in to reply
219 replies to this topic

#1 HomerJ

HomerJ

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:36 PM

Game of Thrones is up for pre-order (10 x 60 min episodes - Book 1 of 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series)

I've been listening to the first book (Audible) and managed to see a couple of episodes on Showcase HD (missed episode 2 - travelling o/s)

Excellent show, great production/visuals, violent. If you liked Lord of the Rings this is for you.

YouTube Preview

YouTube Preview

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0944947/

Second Series by HBO just started production, so at least one more of the 7 book series to arrive on BD, although only 5 books have been written to date.

#2 Drizt

Drizt

AV Forum Member

• 5,930 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:05 PM

Currently my favourite show.

It has been described as the soprano's in middle earth :)

#3 belgavion

belgavion

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:24 PM

It's no Boardwalk Empire, but it's pretty good

#4 SDL

SDL

AV Forum Member

• 10,652 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:19 PM

My wife has all but the last book (waiting for the soft cover) and she watches the series online and Showcase. She keeps telling me to watch it but I never really get into series as I find I tend to miss some along the way. But if it is coming out on Blu maybe I will pick them up and watch it that way.

#5 Sievers

Sievers

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:20 PM

This was easily the best new show in a very long time. Loved it so much I watched all 10 eps in a couple of nights and didn't feel like waiting until the same time next year that i've started reading the books. Peter Dinklage is a stand out but they really got a great ensemble on this one, and the fact that magic and sorcery exists but is extremely downplayed is a real plus. Definitely buying this ASAP and hope its this year rather than couple of weeks before the next season.

#6 Chopsus

Chopsus

AV Forum Member

• 14,351 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 11:59 PM

It's no Boardwalk Empire, but it's pretty good

Boardwalk Empire - PLEASE! a snoozefest compared to Game of Thrones!

#7 dat

dat

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:57 PM

Haven't watched "The Sopranos" but "Game of thrones" is sure the best HBO series ever!

#8 HomerJ

HomerJ

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:27 PM

I like this description off another forum:

Question:
Is this series more along the lines of an 'adult' Excalibur movie -- sex and bloody swordplay; or does it have CGI elements like dragons and what not in it?

Answer:
It's far less "fantasy" and more "medieval" than most fantasy stuff is. It's extremely adult, there is extreme graphic violence, rape, murder, incest, nudity, treachery, all that good stuff.

There are fantasy elements and magical elements but the show is far more focused on the political chess game, and wars between people. I can't say much without giving things away, but suffice it to say there are fantastic elements, they just don't take the main stage whatsoever.

#9 attilathepun

attilathepun

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:56 PM

I like this description off another forum:

It is funny they ask whether it is an 'adult' Excalibur movie - given Excalibur is pretty adult already - up to and including an armoured male/naked femal sex scene from memory. :lol:

Game of Thrones is awesome though - but you want to be careful not to become too attached to *any* character - its a brutal story.

#10 fawlty99

fawlty99

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 05:48 PM

Boardwalk Empire - PLEASE! a snoozefest compared to Game of Thrones!

Um - I disagree. Both exceptional & very different from each other. BE is a prohibition era Sopranos whereas GOT is LOTR light. I have the BE theme as a ring tone (sounds great).

BTW I just finished book 1 of GOT and it's a corker - even after having watched the TV series. Now I'm torn about whether to read book 2 before the next TV series :(

The BDs for both would be truly excellent!

#11 fawlty99

fawlty99

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 05:51 PM

It is funny they ask whether it is an 'adult' Excalibur movie - given Excalibur is pretty adult already - up to and including an armoured male/naked femal sex scene from memory. :lol:

Yep GOT is definately adult - esp the earlier episodes. A distinct penchant for "rumpy pumpy" :P (hope that's not too rude for the mods). Lots of nice bewbies as well.

#12 Sievers

Sievers

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:11 AM

http://insidetv.ew.c...of-thrones-dvd/

Just a shame we couldn't have it in time for Christmas. Although March 6 gives a good lead-in for Season 2 in April.

#13 HomerJ

HomerJ

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 06:00 PM

Photo of Season 1 BD packaging (hi res)

5 discs - 2 episodes + extras per disc. Looks amazing!

#14 HomerJ

HomerJ

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 06:00 PM

DP

Edited by HomerJ, 02 December 2011 - 06:07 PM.

#15 HomerJ

HomerJ

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 09:29 AM

A bit of news for GoT.

Season 1 preorder is now 27GBP from UK (using discount code ex VAT) - Shipping 6th March 2012

Season 2 has just finished shooting and will be shown on US/UK TV from April 2012

Rumour from film location is that Seasons 3 and 4 will be shot back to back next year (A Storm of Swords book will be filmed as 2 seasons)

GoT Season 1 is being shown on Foxtel Showcase HD again starting this evening (Sat 17/12 from 6:30pm) with episodes 1 and 2 back to back then continuieng over next few week (for those who missed it first time around)

Merry Christmas!

#16 Rusty1989

Rusty1989

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:44 AM

As much as I would want this on day one buying it locally, the bonus disc exclusive to Amazon UK is really tempting me. Also the fact that it works out a bit cheaper too.

#17 IanD

IanD

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:07 PM

Season 1 preorder is now 27GBP from UK (using discount code ex VAT) - Shipping 6th March 2012

What is the discount code about which thee spake?

#18 Ralfi

Ralfi

AV Forum Member

• 3,086 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:40 PM

I just heard about this series in the last couple of weeks (haven't heard of the books either) & am eager to check it out in HD.

The post about "attachment" above is too spoiler-esque for my liking............know what to expect a bit now..

#19 Chopsus

Chopsus

AV Forum Member

• 14,351 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:55 PM

What is the discount code about which thee spake?

THRNGAME
Expired dec 15

#20 IanD

IanD

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:31 PM

THRNGAME
Expired dec 15

I hate discount codes that are known to only a select few before expiring.

#21 Chopsus

Chopsus

AV Forum Member

• 14,351 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:55 PM

I hate discount codes that are known to only a select few before expiring.

It came in an email from Amazon.uk - search your emails and you will very likely find it.

#22 IanD

IanD

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:04 PM

It came in an email from Amazon.uk - search your emails and you will very likely find it.

Nup, no emails from Amazon UK mentioning GOT. :(

It was only like 3, based on the regular ex-VAT price of 29, so not a huge deal.

#23 Chopsus

Chopsus

AV Forum Member

• 14,351 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 04:18 PM

Nup, no emails from Amazon UK mentioning GOT. :(

It was only like 3, based on the regular ex-VAT price of 29, so not a huge deal.

2 pounds

#24 HomerJ

HomerJ

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:12 PM

This from AVSForum (they released a 1 disc 1 episode special in US before Christmas):

Picked up Episode 1 of Game of Thrones on blu-ray and I must say by far the best blu ray i've seen bar none. Color reproduction, clarity, black levels, etc etc.... Would love Xylon to get a hold of this.

I'm counting down the days to release...

#25 com5984

com5984

AV Forum Member

• 2,812 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:01 PM

Great show, can't wait for the next series