Blu-ray Bass Busters...........

• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#201 yorac

yorac

AV Forum Member

• 24,471 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 06:02 PM

Lol... Well, that's exactly how I felt about Godzilla...**** acting/**** storyline and along with **** action.... and I noticed all that even after I turned off my brain :) lol.

and as you said mate, each to their own taste, and I want to make that point CLEARLY, I am not bagging other peoples opinions or tastes in movies.

People get sucked in all the time by the hype, especially after some of the recent Marvel blockbusters, Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Edge of Tomorrow, all maybe B+ movies for mine.

Some people crack it cause the bass is filtered and I personally couldn't give a shyte whether it is or isn't.

Whatever movie it is, is presented the way the studio chooses, any of us bitching on a forum isn't going to change it, I buy or hire the bastard and watch it and post an opinion based on my taste, as long as it doesn't have the PQ of 28 Days later I generally don't care, thus far I haven't caught to many movies with bad audio.

YMMV, and sorry to all for the OT..............

#202 Chopsus

Chopsus

AV Forum Member

• 14,655 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 06:21 PM

Agree ... They are both B grade at best.

#203 buddhamus

buddhamus

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 11:00 PM

and as you said mate, each to their own taste, and I want to make that point CLEARLY, I am not bagging other peoples opinions or tastes in movies.

People get sucked in all the time by the hype, especially after some of the recent Marvel blockbusters, Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Edge of Tomorrow, all maybe B+ movies for mine.

Some people crack it cause the bass is filtered and I personally couldn't give a shyte whether it is or isn't.

Whatever movie it is, is presented the way the studio chooses, any of us bitching on a forum isn't going to change it, I buy or hire the bastard and watch it and post an opinion based on my taste, as long as it doesn't have the PQ of 28 Days later I generally don't care, thus far I haven't caught to many movies with bad audio.

YMMV, and sorry to all for the OT..............

I agree with you about ppl getting thier hopes up too high to watch a movie...and being let down by it.

This is a bass thread though, I mean if there are faults in a soundtrack in the LFE department....I think it's good to post about it in here and have a discussion about it whether it be bitching or not.....main thing is to not attack anyone on their opinion on the matter ;).

I see no point in posting about movies and only saying good things about it all the time....your system is very different to mine or anyone else's for that matter lol....so everyone will have a different experience with any given movie :). I think it's great to share things like that.

I'll admit im a fussy bugger when it comes to this stuff and I do apologise for being like this lol. But seriously when I jumped from my Velodyne ported sub which could only reach to 20hz  and I compare that to the sub or subs I have now which reach down to 5hz....although i was running flat to 8hz due to room leakage and what not...............I seriously cannot beleive how much bass I was missing in the lower octaves...it brought whole new dimension to the way I watched movies...It was almost as if another layer was discovered that I never knew that was there.

I guess that is why I'm so passionate about voicing out my opinion on filtered movies....and I'm not the only one either. I guess if you havent experienced it, it is a good thing lol. But I couldnt go back to how I had my system before.

Anyway, sorry for going OT :) and apologies to everyone!

Edited by buddhamus, 12 October 2014 - 11:13 PM.

#204 ADstv

ADstv

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:16 PM

If you thought Edge Of Tomorrow had some bass, wait until you hear the Dolby Atmos track for Transformers: AOE. Just arrived today from Amazon US and sampled the first 15 minutes of the IMAX 3D edition in TrueHD 7.1 and i've never heard a soundtrack like this, even the cinema could not compare. Even lower than the normal volume I watch movies at, I think half the neighbourhood could hear it.

Edited by ADstv, 17 October 2014 - 07:19 PM.

#205 Tom Tom

Tom Tom

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:24 PM

T4 - It's much better towards the end, the bass that is.

Edited by Tom Tom, 18 October 2014 - 03:46 PM.

#206 yorac

yorac

AV Forum Member

• 24,471 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 08:28 AM

Hey guys thought might start a bit of a list of movies with great LFE, so not in any particular order some of those that I have..........

This is a bass thread though, I mean if there are faults in a soundtrack in the LFE department....I think it's good to post about it in here and have a discussion about it whether it be bitching or not.....main thing is to not attack anyone on their opinion on the matter ;).

So just left this for a week before coming back with some thoughts on your reply mate.

Yes certainly a bass thread, but as post 1 indicates, great bass was the intention.

We have a blu ray review thread for those that are inclined to review and it is a great place to tell people know whether there are A and PQ issues.

Now I know everyone is not inclined to do so, thus maybe an opportunity to start a topic in relation to Movies with disappointing LFE.

Once again as you well know mate, I greatly respect your opinion, but imho people posting that there are problems with filtered bass etc before I see a movie for myself is almost akin to people who don't put spoiler alerts in when posting about a movie, it takes away from the overall enjoyment.

Of course YMMV and I hope I've conveyed the above well............

#207 yorac

yorac

AV Forum Member

• 24,471 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:18 PM

Watched I am Legend last night, having not watched it for a couple of years now, have to say I was impressed with the bass in the scene where he sets off the explosives around the perimeter of the house..............

#208 Chopsus

Chopsus

AV Forum Member

• 14,655 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:57 PM

Watched I am Legend last night, having not watched it for a couple of years now, have to say I was impressed with the bass in the scene where he sets off the explosives around the perimeter of the house..............

Watching Babylon AD now for the first in a long while ... Also has some good, thumping bass in parts ... It's nowhere near as bad as I remembered it.

The submarine surfacing through the ice is worth the price of the disc for its bass alone!

Edited by Chopsus, 26 October 2014 - 08:05 PM.

#209 MACCA350

MACCA350

AV Forum Member

• 4,896 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:23 AM

Earth to Echo was a surprise, especially near the end

#210 709er

709er

AV Forum Member

• 3,639 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:52 PM

We re-watched Real Steel last night. Great bass on our humble system :)

#211 minty

minty

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted Today, 09:49 PM

Re-watched The Conjuring just now, **** me that hits hard and sends goosebumps up down you 😅