• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 clipper

clipper

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:04 AM

Just having a look at lyngsat D2 services and notice Russia Today and the Dutch channel seem to be missing.

#2 Brisat

Brisat

AV Forum Member

• 16 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:30 PM

Just having a look at lyngsat D2 services and notice Russia Today and the Dutch channel seem to be missing.

They were both working yesterday at 1.00 pm so difficult to know why lyngsat would not include them

#3 Jan45

Jan45

AV Forum Member

• 60 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 04:10 PM

Sorry, not sure where to post this.

We have satellite dish & strong satellite box for watching the free christian channels on Optus D2 satellite.

Was working fine until last Thursday. 

I'm trying to find out if this satellite is working okay for other people, so we know

whether it is a problem with our equipment or the satellite.

If anyone else has this and it's still working, could you let me know please.

Jan

#4 Tazzy2Heads

Tazzy2Heads

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:35 PM

Hi Jan

Just looked on my test box and all the Christian tv channels are working as I type this, so maybe your receiver has carked it ? Do you have any of the other FTA overseas channels ?

Cheers Tazzy

#5 Jan45

Jan45

AV Forum Member

• 60 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:10 PM

Thanks for reply. No none of the channels or radio are working - it just puts up "bad or no signal, says about 90 percent strength signal and about 23 percent quality.
I will see if I can borrow another box to see if it box. From there will check the aerial.
Didn't want to do all this if the satellite was out, so thank you so much for your reply.

Jan

#6 Tazzy2Heads

Tazzy2Heads

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:29 PM

Have you tried a blind rescan ?Has any one accidently changed the LNB frequency or made the box do a factory reset ?

Tazzy

#7 Jan45

Jan45

AV Forum Member

• 60 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:37 PM

Yes have tried blind rescan, auto scan, manual scan. finds nothing. No one else touches the settings but me.
We gave our old box to a friend when we bought this one so we could record, and I don't think they are using it at moment, so pretty sure I can borrow it to test. That will tell me if it our box or not.
Jan

#8 Tazzy2Heads

Tazzy2Heads

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:16 PM

FTA satellite blind scan receivers are pretty cheap these days new and most installers have a growing stack of receivers in the shed that have been replaced with VAST FTA receivers for people in bad tv reception areas, I ended up with another one yesterday, you could have it for free if you were in Hobart.

Goodluck with the substitute box.

Cheers Tazzy

#9 Jan45

Jan45

AV Forum Member

• 60 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:58 PM

Hi Tazzy,

I haven't been able to get another box to try, my friend doesn't know where it is.

Could you tell me if the LNB ever needs replacing? 

We have checked our lead from dish to receiver, all seems fine.

Also, I played the last recording it did, was supposed to be 30 minutes, but stopped recording after 16 minutes, and through the recording there were squeaky, clicking type noises. Does this sound like something in the box has died, even though I can still watch my older recordings?

Sorry to bother you. I live in small country town, and not easy to get things tested here.

Thanks, Jan 

#10 Slattery

Slattery

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:35 PM

OT, are you able to pick up VAST using a satellite dish for free?

#11 Tazzy2Heads

Tazzy2Heads

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:27 PM

Hi Jan,

LNB,s are usually very reliable and go for years, however they are an electronic device powered up the coax from the sat receiver and can fail sometimes.

If it is a very old one the white plastic on the end facing the dish can be affected by the sun light and crack and let in moisture and the circuit board inside gets wet and dies.

Not sure what the sqeaks and clicks could be about, it could be break up of signal caused by the tuner in the box going crook or loss of signal by the dish being out

of alignment with the satellite or the LNB dieing.

You could take your sat box to your friends place and see if it works there bearing in mind that their dish would have to be pointed at D2 and the LNB frequency on your box would have to be set at the same frequency as their LNB, that is both set at 10700 or 11300 which can be changed on the box via the menu settings

If the post after yours is directed to me,VAST FTA sat tv is free, ABC and SBS to anyone in Aus but the Commercial channels you have to apply for to prove

you are in a bad tv reception area or you can get a travellers permit for people in caravans or motorhomes.VAST is on Optus C1 and D3 and you need a 10700

mhz LNB on the dish

cheers Tazzy

#12 Slattery

Slattery

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:07 PM

Thanks Tazzy. So would the World Cup on SBS HD on VAST be running at the paltry 9 mbps mpeg2 we get on digital tv or would the bitrate be superior?

#13 Jan45

Jan45

AV Forum Member

• 60 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 03:14 PM

Hi Tazzy,

Thought I'd give you update.

We unplugged LNB couldn't see anything wrong, although looked pretty worn.

Put it back together, did another blind scan and found channels - happy with that, but still doing clicky noises 

sometimes more than others. So we bought a new LNB, scanned again and working with no clicking.

Very happy now.

Have noticed the TP numbers are different than used to be and also what is on Lyngsat site - and can't find

few channels, not that big deal as have the main ones we watch. Just curious about why they different.

Anyway, thanks for your help and advice, much appreciated.

Jan

#14 pc9

pc9

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 05:05 PM

VAST HD services are MPEG 4.  Not sure about the bit rates though but I can tell you the PQ on SBS HD on VAST is definitely superior to the terrestrial version. 

#15 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,701 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:27 PM

Slattery,

ABC24, SBSHD, One, 7Mate and GEM are all MPEG4 compressed in VAST all SD programs are MPEG-2 compressed.

Remember that MPEG-4 compressors will produce a data rate which is half that of MPEG-2. The receiver specifications are a nominal 7 Mbit/s for HD and 2.5 Mbit/s

Alanh

Edited by alanh, 30 June 2014 - 03:32 PM.

#16 antennainstallerperth

antennainstallerperth

AV Forum Member

• 18 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:34 PM

Since the digital switched over my signal got worse and worse even with the Hills optimax.

I bought a VAST Satking from www.accessantennas.com.au   .

I could not receiver the ABC and SBS . I called up and abused the guy on the phone as I thought the box was faulty. Turns out I needed a new LNB as i had a 11300 and not the 10700.

I had an old dish from yonks ago. 

The picture seems to be a lot better than the  terrestrial channels broadcasting in an inferior Mpeg2. 

Question is when will terrestrial move to mpeg4. Should more people go to SAT for a better picture. I think for small families with one TV its not a bad idea.

Cost of an antenan with an amp is about the same price as the dish kit. 

#17 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,701 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:34 AM

Vast is not allow to be received for commercial stations outside remote areas unless there is proven no signal at the reception site.

There is another strand on this website pushing for the adoption of MPEG4 terrestrial. The Minister for Communications wants the networks to convert as yet not action.

Alanh