Photo

Any One Using Apple Tv (or 2) As A Media Streamer?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#51 swordfish805

swordfish805

AV Forum Member

• 4,315 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

Why cheers Peter. I think I'll take the plunge. I'm so into this damned Apple TV it's becoming a bit of a fixation. As a matter of fact I'm becoming so Apple I bought a MacBook Pro a week ago.

Welcome to the dark side. usually it starts with an ipod, then an iPhone, next an iPad. Not too many people get that addicted that they get an AppleTV as well.

But (Gulp) we have two ATVs, an iPad, 3 iPhones, two iPod touches, an iPod Nano, an iPod shuffle and an iPod so old that it has turned yellow. MacBook Air arrives this week - but we didn't buy it, daughter's school hands them out.

Don't want to think about what we've spend on iProducts - but the constant appearance of iTunes Music Store on the credit card statement is starting to make me think we need to go cold turkey for a month or two...still it is nice how this iStuff just works and nobody needs to have explained to them how to start using this stuff. The AppleTVs are is probably the easiest things of all to use.

#52 ajm

ajm

AV Forum Member

• 10,308 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:48 AM

So far I've found the ATV2 to be a great gadget to tinker with but it falls a bit short compared to the PCH devices I've used because of a lack of processing power. It's slick and easy to use - but hobbled.

#53 windeath

windeath

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:48 PM

I'm lovin' it. I "blacked" it last night. Adds some nifty little extras. The high WAF is the killer for me as "she who must be obeyed" hates complication where movie/TV/music watching/listening is concerned.

The one thing that is a bit of a nuisance is the remote. It's bloody awful. My fat little hands keep pressing the wrong buttons.

#54 hodge06

hodge06

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:27 PM

Talking about the remote - generally I have no issues and quite like it (except for losing it in the couch every second day)...but, always seem to have issues bring up the 'right click' style file menu via long press on the menu button. More often than not a long press on the menu button takes you back a screen.

Also - cant for the life of me recall how I have managed to bring up the on screen menu (where you can find varying speed FF, RW etc) during playback?

#55 windeath

windeath

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:59 AM

I'm no longer finding myself going into XBMC. I've put Black on and I now use the media player included with that. It's quick, it has much better meta data retrieval and my wife really likes it. Nuff said hahaha.

#56 com5984

com5984

AV Forum Member

• 2,846 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:29 AM

I'm lovin' it. I "blacked" it last night. Adds some nifty little extras. The high WAF is the killer for me as "she who must be obeyed" hates complication where movie/TV/music watching/listening is concerned.

The one thing that is a bit of a nuisance is the remote. It's bloody awful. My fat little hands keep pressing the wrong buttons.

What's black?

#57 windeath

windeath

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:36 AM

What's black?

This

#58 com5984

com5984

AV Forum Member

• 2,846 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:38 AM

No worries, I thought you meant a stand alone media player. I have this but use xbmc, i'll give the media pkayer a try

#59 swordfish805

swordfish805

AV Forum Member

• 4,315 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:25 PM

What's black?

The black in the name refers to the colour of the AppleTV - version 2 is black.

#60 pjc

pjc

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:41 PM

So does ATV2 running Black mediaplayer play back uncompressed .m2ts rips from BluRay over network?

#61 slugger

slugger

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:43 PM

I want to use the MLB.tv package (I'll need to pay for it of course), but previously the quality has been very patchy.

I have a PC desktop (that I'm considering dumping for an iMac), a MacBookPro (with iTunes on it), an Apple TV 2 and considering the new Apple TV for its HD and a Netgear wi-fi router.

I generally copy downloaded files across and convert to iTunes-compatible format via Handbrake, but I've recently started using AirVideo straight off the PC to the iPad 2 and then mirror to the main TV screen. Quite impressed with the picture but it does lose quality mirroring an AVI. I'm hoping that the quality picks up enough for me to watch the MLB.tv. Anyone had any experience?

#62 werdnarennylods

werdnarennylods

AV Forum Member

• 8 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:39 AM

Definitely get a boxee box, I have had one for two years and love it. Fits into my wireless network seamlessly.