Austar Sharing Options

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Spook

Spook

AV Forum Member

• 31 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:58 PM

I know there is alot of stuff out there and I have been reading but I need some advice and cant wait anymore 60 second spam blocks.

I have an Austar Atlas box which is in my lounge room and have been *told* that this needs to be shared to both the main bedroom and the kids tv.

The Austar is currently connected by the AV cable. Picture quality is ordinary but its basically used for watching kids stuff (Cartoon Network) and 'Chicks Stuff' - Friends, Sex and the City, etc, etc :blink: So I am not that concerned about the quality.

We had previously (years ago) used a wireless sender from DSE ( http://dicksmith.com...-receiver-avs58 ) which cost more than a few dollars and didnt really work that well (and lasted only a minute or two past the warranty period which was great). The distance between the sender and receiver was only 5 metres but it was past 2 big plasmas, 2 x PVR, computer, Wii and not to mention the three wireless networks that operate within the house.

Unless the quality of these senders has dramatically improved I dont think wireless is the way to go. These main 2 TVs are so close I dont think its mandatory to have the IR sender either.

I have been reading about using a splitter from the RF out of the Austar box to put the signal back into the wall via the free-to-air coax and this looks like it could be the solution i am looking for (free :D ). Is there any issue with doing this on a setup using a masthead amp? Last thing I want to do is fry the austar box or amp.

One last thing: I was thinking I could split the AV output from the box and send one to the main TV and another up the wall to be split again in the roof and then down to AV wall plates in the other rooms. But to do this I would need an amplifier of some sort? Maybe one of these : http://www.ebay.com....#ht_4040wt_1139 ? But then again is it worth doing that when the quality wont be any better than the RF method?

Any suggestions and advice would be appreciated.

#2 viewer

viewer

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:30 PM

You need a masthead amp that has 2 x uhf inputs ( or 3 including a VHF port if you still use a combined antenna)....say UHF 28-48, UHF 52-69. One of the uhf inputs for your normal digital stations, one for an antenna with vhf, and this spare for vhf
From austar box connect to rf out, and run a line up to the amplifier and connect to the masthead, connect your antennas to the other inputs.

You now should be able to get your tv's to scan in the channel via rf.

You need to ensure your masthead has the correct frequency ranges for both the antenna UHF and well as that coming from the austar uhf, You are also best to have the masthead able to have pots on them that vary it's strength/output. I had to turn down the strength on my austar input on the masthead amp, as otherwise it overloaded, and created herrinbone interference.

Another more qualified antenna person here should be able to steer you to the correct part numbers etc, as I am just a home user, and not an expert...good luck.

#3 Spook

Spook

AV Forum Member

• 31 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:15 PM

Cheers for that viewer. The dual input amp.... explains why I wasnt having any luck with my experiments this arvo.

Think I might look at the cat5 option using the s-video and stereo output as the next option. I really dont want to fork out for a powered splitter/amp if I can help it.

#4 viewer

viewer

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:39 PM

The austar box has UHF out, thats why you need the extra UHF input on the mast amp. Your other way, if u have a video, is to connect to austar via rf, and if the video then modulates to vhf, send that up to your vhf input on antenna/amp

#5 DrP

DrP

AV Forum Member

• 16,740 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:37 AM

The RF output is the worst quality, but easiest to distribute, way to get the service around your house.

In days past I have run the additional composite output and audio to a distribution box in the ceiling and then dropped to each room from there. The same can be done with svideo, with one drop going back down to where the Austar box is to feed the equipment in that room.

Recently stand-alone audio / video encoders for digital TV have become available at a more reasonable price. With one of these units you would connect the audio and svideo lead from the Austar box and then feed the output into the buildings FTA distribution amp. The TV (or FTA STB) in each room is then 'scanned' on the channel the encoder was set up on. Since it uses the existing FTA coax to get around minimal wiring changes are required but its a more expensive option.

In any case, a competent technician is recommended to do the work.

Distributing Austar through your house like this is a breach of the contract you have with Austar. Read the terms and conditions.

#6 wavesea

wavesea

AV Forum Member

• 2 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:35 PM

Why not just get a second box ? Austar are practically giving them away the moment so for the price of a decent combiner or AV sender unit you can pay for a year or 2 second box.

#7 nbound

nbound

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:35 PM

Why not just get a second box ? Austar are practically giving them away the moment so for the price of a decent combiner or AV sender unit you can pay for a year or 2 second box.

Quite often these go to more than just one/two extra outlets. Also some people dont want kids to watch the wrong thing in a bedroom but still have Austar access.

You need a masthead amp that has 2 x uhf inputs ( or 3 including a VHF port if you still use a combined antenna)....say UHF 28-48, UHF 52-69. One of the uhf inputs for your normal digital stations, one for an antenna with vhf, and this spare for vhf

This information is location specific and wont work in all circumstances.

Long story short though, you'll need an amp somewhere and probably a reconfiguration of the existing wiring to create a setup where your Austar is distributed by RF.