• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 sydmos

sydmos

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:04 AM

Looking at alternatives to Foxtel and found Fetch TV ?

There is a package for about $92 a month with my phone/internet/Fetch TV etc .

Considering am paying $54 for basic Foxtel no movies etc , Fetch has their Sci Fi equivalent plus the free to airs and Movies.

Iinet is available in my area.

Appreciate anyones thoughts/experience on this ?

Thanks

#2 dave_con

dave_con

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:56 AM

Looking at alternatives to Foxtel and found Fetch TV ?

There is a package for about $92 a month with my phone/internet/Fetch TV etc .

Considering am paying $54 for basic Foxtel no movies etc , Fetch has their Sci Fi equivalent plus the free to airs and Movies.

Iinet is available in my area.

Appreciate anyones thoughts/experience on this ?

Thanks

Internode just announced a similar one (my ISP)

http://www.internode...t/fetchtv_iptv/

As my PVR is a bit flaky at the moment, it does sound interesting... Would love to know what the quality of the box is like though.

#3 M&K Freak

M&K Freak

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 02:29 PM

Just taken delivery over the weekend of my Fetch TV box from Adam in Adelaide. Installation was a breeze, except that I hoped to get it working with my existing Wireless N Router, but their multicast is preset to the new Netcomm modem/router (that Adam Internet provided free), so will have to install that before I can get the pay TV channels.

Movies load quickly, and quality looks ok, but not anything special. The EPG is easy to use, with what's-on-now and grid layout options. Recording of FTA programs works fine, and playback is fine, and a bit easier to drive than my old Media Centre HTPC (not that I've recorded much yet).

Will see how I go swapping modems, and will check out the pay channels for content and quality. Quality of the Fetch box looks pretty good, runs nice and quiet, but the lights on the front (standy red, on blue) light up the loungeroom, so will have to dim them somehow.

#4 pheggie

pheggie

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:58 PM

Just taken delivery over the weekend of my Fetch TV box from Adam in Adelaide. Installation was a breeze, except that I hoped to get it working with my existing Wireless N Router, but their multicast is preset to the new Netcomm modem/router (that Adam Internet provided free), so will have to install that before I can get the pay TV channels.

Movies load quickly, and quality looks ok, but not anything special. The EPG is easy to use, with what's-on-now and grid layout options. Recording of FTA programs works fine, and playback is fine, and a bit easier to drive than my old Media Centre HTPC (not that I've recorded much yet).

Will see how I go swapping modems, and will check out the pay channels for content and quality. Quality of the Fetch box looks pretty good, runs nice and quiet, but the lights on the front (standy red, on blue) light up the loungeroom, so will have to dim them somehow.

Just put Blu-tac over the LEDS

#5 M_dawg

M_dawg

AV Forum Member

• 32 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:46 PM

@M&K Freak: are you able to figure out what resolution FetchTV uses (576p, 720p, 1080p) - I couldn't find that information anywhere.

#6 M&K Freak

M&K Freak

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:51 PM

@M&K Freak: are you able to figure out what resolution FetchTV uses (576p, 720p, 1080p) - I couldn't find that information anywhere.

Obviously the FTA channels come thru in whatever resolution they are broadcast. Not sure about the other channels and movies. Will see if I can find out tonight, the tele should be able to tell me, I think.

Have watched a couple of movies the last couple of nights. The selection of free ones is limited, but a good chance to catch up on a few old classics (watched Carrie last night). The selection of free movies seems to rollover a small number of those available every week or few days.

#7 M_dawg

M_dawg

AV Forum Member

• 32 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:20 PM

Will see if I can find out tonight, the tele should be able to tell me, I think.

Did you get a chance to check it?

#8 andrew

andrew

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:10 AM

The Fetch live channels are 576i (SD) with 544 pixels per line AKA 3/4 resolution. Don't know what the VOD movies are though. The box itself is HDMI so upscales.

#9 e.z

e.z

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:10 AM

ESPN and ESPN2 now on fetchtv

#10 fredofrog

fredofrog

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:30 AM

Unfortunately Internode/iinet group doesn't service all areas for Fetch. Would love to get it through them since i've had good service for 3 years for broadband.

#11 meck01

meck01

AV Forum Member

• 2 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:10 AM

I have optus broadband and just got fetch through them - it does not have all of foxtels channels, however for $35.00 a month you can't go wrong.

We have the hd box through Foxtel and find the picture quality on fetch to be better?

#12 Dolphy

Dolphy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:45 AM

I've had to stop using my Fetch TV (Optus) because it was loud when not is use and I had to constanty do a hard reset and it took about five minuts to start.

Has anyoone else had the same problem?

#13 dj898

dj898

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:43 PM

get it replaced.
I had similar issue till it refused to load the user interface.
although it took my service provider sending multiple boxes but at the end I got the box that works now.

#14 myrantz

myrantz

AV Forum Member

• 16,176 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:32 PM

Anybody else using FetchTV..

How you find it?

The NBA got me all excited again (no HD but I'm fine with that) and seems like a good deal - $20 per month to get ESPN/ESPN2... Too late now but there's always a next season to look forward to.

#15 troykm

troykm

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:30 AM

Anybody else using FetchTV..

How you find it?

The NBA got me all excited again (no HD but I'm fine with that) and seems like a good deal - $20 per month to get ESPN/ESPN2... Too late now but there's always a next season to look forward to.

I just got it a week ago and a few tech issues aside (sorted by the way) it's great for the money. Dont see it as a replacement for foxtel because its not. But it is a very good 'top up' on FTA tv. The only thing I ever wanted from foxtel was doco channels and now I have 8 Inc for the $29.90 price (as well as all the others) to get the same channels on foxtel would be $74pm ..

Also fetch are adding on the 1st Jan the new TVH!TS channel and Nickelodeon, Nick Jr, MTV dance and some.news channel. Nothing to write home about but additions none the less.

There is a lot more to fetch tv than those pay tv channels and it's worth the price.

Edited by troykm, 17 December 2013 - 04:31 AM.

#16 nath85

nath85

AV Forum Member

• 36 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:37 AM

The Fetch live channels are 576i (SD) with 544 pixels per line AKA 3/4 resolution. Don't know what the VOD movies are though. The box itself is HDMI so upscales.

I'm not convinced Fetch are offering a proper 576i service. Resolution compared to FTA is nowhere near as good. Also rather than 50i (50 fields per second) it appears to be 25p (25 frames per second). Sport on ESPN is nowhere near as smooth as it should be is just an example.

I've cancelled my full Entertainment Plus service as a result. Now just paying $9.95 a month for a good quality FTA PVR and the occasional movie rental. Still a good service for that.

#17 pauldaw

pauldaw

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:29 PM

ok people now that Fetch has been around a bit can those that have it please tell what its like?  What modem do you recommend for adsl2 connection? Is the buffering bad? Anything else that you think we should know about the service will be greatly appreciated

#18 Darth

Darth

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:01 AM

ok people now that Fetch has been around a bit can those that have it please tell what its like?  What modem do you recommend for adsl2 connection? Is the buffering bad? Anything else that you think we should know about the service will be greatly appreciated

I had Fetch TV when I had IInet.  Although the channel selection is not too bad and you get the added bonus of recording those channels (T-Box does not offer this).  I found the picture quality quite bad.  This could be due to the area I am in and I'm in a block of units.  They do recommend a BOB2 modem but any modem will work these days

#19 e.z

e.z

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:46 PM

Fetch TV retail version is now available (since July 1st) through Harvey Norman, Domayne and Joyce Mayne and can be used with any ISP now. Just putting it out there for those who may be interested.

#20 jsmith

jsmith

AV Forum Member

• 5,962 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:39 PM

Fetch TV retail version is now available (since July 1st) through Harvey Norman, Domayne and Joyce Mayne and can be used with any ISP now.

Sounds good... don't see how a retail package with a STB/PVR can override a private contract with an ISP that charges for all data though.

JSmith :ninja:

#21 Z2TT

Z2TT

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:07 PM

Fetch TV is a good choice if you don't want to pay as much as Foxtel, however you get less channels and picture quality is not what you'd call big screen worthy

Edited by Z2TT, 25 July 2014 - 10:08 PM.