• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kfj007

kfj007

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 04:47 PM

With the new line up of 'Smart T.V's coming out this year, some of which have 'Web Browsers', is it possible for a virus to infect the software of your T.V when it is connected to the internet?

#2 DrP

DrP

AV Forum Member

• 16,740 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:10 PM

Given the generally poor security and vulnerability testing of embedded systems, its quite likely that there will be problems with internet connected devices. Java, which all these devices support, has had more holes in it tham a piece of swiss cheese.

The real question is, apart from co-incidental infections from exploits that are targetted at other platforms but also affect the TV in some way, will anyone bother targetting TVs. They usually don't have abundant resources to play with in the first place, typically don't store personal info (bank details etc), so IMO the only targetted attacks against such devices will be in the mischief arena rather than the 'black hat' arena.

#3 automan

automan

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 11:04 PM

The tv manufactures will have protection for users I read somewhere..

#4 DrP

DrP

AV Forum Member

• 16,740 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:54 AM

In much the same way that mobile telephones were 'protected' and car ECUs were 'protected' and industrial control systems were 'protected' and.... well I'll leave it to the reader to fill in the looooong loooong list of devices that were supposedly safe and secure.

#5 laurie

laurie

AV Forum Member

• 6,390 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:16 PM

Agree DrP prefer the zip file to CD firmware update after scanning with my PC virus/malware software then again that may not help these day especially if its not PC related just device ?

cheers laurie

#6 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,642 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:35 PM

Agree DrP prefer the zip file to CD firmware update after scanning with my PC virus/malware software then again that may not help these day especially if its not PC related just device ?cheers laurie

Your PC antivirus software would in no way find a TV firmware virus (its not looking).

Regards

Peter Gillespie