Source...............

#2 Quark

Quark

AV Forums Member

• 3,315 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:37 AM

Source...............

Does this mean PurpleRay is coming? :lol:

Presumably it does mean that 4K displays are coming. I can feel my credit card trembling in fear. :ninja:

I prefer the look over the previous Onkyo styling - still not as nice as some others.

Looking forward to seeing the equivalent prepro.

#3 DenonCi

DenonCi

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:41 AM

why are they so Ugly this year.

I see the Audyssey Xt32 will still be on there higher models.

#4 :)

:)

AV Forums Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:41 AM

Does this mean PurpleRay is coming? :lol:

Presumably it does mean that 4K displays are coming. I can feel my credit card trembling in fear. :ninja:

I prefer the look over the previous Onkyo styling - still not as nice as some others.

Looking forward to seeing the equivalent prepro.

definitely prefer look over previous, will have pretty clean lines ala HK receivers once close the flap door there :)

4K ? bloody hell where does it end :lol:

#5 yorac

yorac

AV Forums Member

• 23,935 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:47 AM

4K ? bloody hell where does it end :lol:

It will only stop if they ever think we've run out of money............. :ninja:

:lol:

#6 DenonCi

DenonCi

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:53 AM

I guess you can use 4k on the Cinema Projectors. where I work.

#7 cwt

cwt

AV Forums Member

• 5,507 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 06:52 PM

Noticed this 4k scaling in search of 4k displays a while ago and asked in the oppo 95 thread at avs whether the marvell qdeo chip in the oppo [same capability] will get this upscaling . The silence was deafening :rolleyes: Who knows how its been configured :unsure:

Qdeo video processing is currently offered in a family of video format converters from Marvell the 88DE2710 [4]
and the 88DE2750 [5]. It has already been implemented in platforms with image sizes that range from QCIF to 4K
x 2K this corresponds to a pixel count ranging from 5000 to 10M. This vast range highlights the unique adaptivity
of the technology

Qdeo has the capability of even higher rez's than 2k ;skys the limit [if thats hard to upscale :) ]

#8 Wags

Wags

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:55 PM

They have never been a great looking machine, have they?

The green flouro display looks soooo dated.

Should sound good though!

#9 homerlovesbeer

homerlovesbeer

AV Forums Member

• 41 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:31 PM

They have never been a great looking machine, have they?

The green flouro display looks soooo dated.

Should sound good though!

I just picked up one of these beauties when I was in Hong Kong 2 days ago for AUS $934 to replace my TX-SR707 as I needed the 3D and HDMI 1.4 for my TV and Blu-ray player. Wow! The 809 amp sounds amazing! I love the new look, the sounds is quite a bit better than my 707, media streaming, Digital radio, Ipod connectivity, gosh, it's fantastic!

I've now got a 707 for sale in near new condition if anybody is interested. I will consider all offers.

Cheers,
Homer

#10 robertr

robertr

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:05 PM

I just picked up one of these beauties when I was in Hong Kong 2 days ago for AUS $934 to replace my TX-SR707 as I needed the 3D and HDMI 1.4 for my TV and Blu-ray player. Wow! The 809 amp sounds amazing! I love the new look, the sounds is quite a bit better than my 707, media streaming, Digital radio, Ipod connectivity, gosh, it's fantastic!

I've now got a 707 for sale in near new condition if anybody is interested. I will consider all offers.

Cheers,
Homer

Just make sure that the serial number is still on the unit & has not been removed, a little nasty that comes with buying equiment from Hong Kong,mine was removed.

And yes my Onkyo NR808 ( previous model) 4 months old, stopped working also, repair cost me $120 however there is no guarantee that it won't play up again.

Also this may send a shiver down your spine, the 809 is also affected ( refer attachment) & we have no warranty here for Hong Kong purchases.

http://www.avsforum........9186&page=2

Edited by robertr, 11 July 2011 - 06:10 PM.

#11 homerlovesbeer

homerlovesbeer

AV Forums Member

• 41 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:25 PM

Just make sure that the serial number is still on the unit & has not been removed, a little nasty that comes with buying equiment from Hong Kong,mine was removed.

And yes my Onkyo NR808 ( previous model) 4 months old, stopped working also, repair cost me $120 however there is no guarantee that it won't play up again.

Also this may send a shiver down your spine, the 809 is also affected ( refer attachment) & we have no warranty here for Hong Kong purchases.

http://www.avsforum........9186&page=2

Cheers,

I didn't buy from the "normal" HK place. I purchased it myself from a very high end store on the 19th floor (I think) in a building that had many expensive hifi shops in it. I had it delivered to my hotel and took it home to Aus as extra luggage, sending it on the oversize belt with fragile stickers plastered all over it.

Happy to say that it made the journey intact and works beautifully.

EDIT: BTW I'm pretty sure the 809 is NOT affected. I can't see any reports in that thread and the official Onkyo bulletin dosn't mention that model either.

06/21/11 - Models: TX-NR708, TX-NR709, TX-NR808, TX-NR1008, TX-NR3008, TX-NR5008, PR-SC5508, HT-RC270, HT-RC370

http://www.onkyousa....ases.cfm?id=215

Edited by homerlovesbeer, 11 July 2011 - 09:31 PM.

#12 TheFrog

TheFrog

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:23 PM

qqqqqqqqqq

Edited by TheFrog, 19 July 2011 - 08:23 PM.

#13 Mullins_Y2k

Mullins_Y2k

AV Forums Member

• 39 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:28 AM

This is exactly what I've been looking for! drool

#14 crtlover

crtlover

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:14 AM

Cheers,

I didn't buy from the "normal" HK place. I purchased it myself from a very high end store on the 19th floor (I think) in a building that had many expensive hifi shops in it. I had it delivered to my hotel and took it home to Aus as extra luggage, sending it on the oversize belt with fragile stickers plastered all over it.

Happy to say that it made the journey intact and works

http://www.onkyousa....ases.cfm?id=215

Hi,
I'm in Hong Kong at the moment and am on the verge of buying this amp. Best price I can get is $7900 HKD.
I would very much appreciate it if you could let me know where you bought your amp and what price you paid in HKD.

Thanks, in anticipation, Mark.

#15 hoffho

hoffho

AV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:32 PM

Hi,
I'm in Hong Kong at the moment and am on the verge of buying this amp. Best price I can get is $7900 HKD.
I would very much appreciate it if you could let me know where you bought your amp and what price you paid in HKD.

Thanks, in anticipation, Mark.

Hi Mark, have you bought it yet and if so, how much did you pay and where from? I am going to ask my family to buy it from HK so any tips would be appreciated.

Edited by hoffho, 31 August 2011 - 10:33 PM.

#16 crtlover

crtlover

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 06:31 PM

Hi Mark, have you bought it yet and if so, how much did you pay and where from? I am going to ask my family to buy it from HK so any tips would be appreciated.

Hi Guys,

Paid $7900 HKD for it from Michael's Audio, Shop 10, Basement, Prosperity Bldg
6E Nelson St, Mongkok.

No problems with excess baggage charges (Air NZ) or Customs.

Luckily I didn't strike the very bolshie female officer to my right
who was questioning every passenger in depth about what they had purchased!

Very pleased with it so far, but haven't had much time to play with it.

After shopping around most electronics retailers - Fortress, Broadway etc
would only give 5% off retail ($8950) and most did not have stock for a couple of weeks.

Mark

#17 hoffho

hoffho

AV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:30 PM

Cheers Mark. I have to wait until October for mine. It should go well with the newly acquired 55VT30 and BDP-93.

#18 Mullins_Y2k

Mullins_Y2k

AV Forums Member

• 39 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:22 PM

Guys what's the best price you've seen from an Aussie seller? I found it for $1690 here

http://www.digitalci...t...er&CartID=1

Can anyone recommend a better/cheaper place to buy? thinking of purchasing this week.

#19 kiwimeat

kiwimeat

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:24 AM

Guys what's the best price you've seen from an Aussie seller? I found it for $1690 here

http://www.digitalci...t...er&CartID=1

Can anyone recommend a better/cheaper place to buy? thinking of purchasing this week.

I think you will find that Digital Cinema are not an official local Onkyo retailer. Given, it will be grey import, and you want cheaper then Hong Kong/Singapore will give better prices - even after shipping.

If you are after genuine official Australian stock, check out the 5 official Onkyo Authorised Internet Dealers.

Sunnybank HiFi
Eastwood HiFi
AV Australia - showing stock $1899
Direct HiFi
Selby Acoustics

#20 Mullins_Y2k

Mullins_Y2k

AV Forums Member

• 39 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:15 PM

I think you will find that Digital Cinema are not an official local Onkyo retailer. Given, it will be grey import, and you want cheaper then Hong Kong/Singapore will give better prices - even after shipping.

If you are after genuine official Australian stock, check out the 5 official Onkyo Authorised Internet Dealers.

Sunnybank HiFi
Eastwood HiFi
AV Australia - showing stock $1899
Direct HiFi
Selby Acoustics

Thanks heaps Kiwimeat! :)

#21 Mullins_Y2k

Mullins_Y2k

AV Forums Member

• 39 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:27 PM

Thanks heaps Kiwimeat! :)

What's the name of that Hong Kong site everyone here uses again?...Would you guys trust the HK sites for the discount? The aussie sites have 3 year warranty as standard which is comforting.

#22 browny

browny

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 10:28 PM

what are these recievers going for now locally?
thinking its time for an upgrade
would like to buy locally for the warranty but if its still up around the 2g mark ill probably import.

is this US model any different to the HK/Singapore model in regards to the voltge?
just looking at pictures of the rear panel,
us model says AC 120 V~, 60 Hz where the asian model says AC 220–240 V~, 50/60 Hz
i guess this would indicate that us model would need a transformer of some description?

Edited by browny, 18 September 2011 - 02:02 PM.

#23 crtlover

crtlover

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:10 PM

what are these recievers going for now locally?
thinking its time for an upgrade
would like to buy locally for the warranty but if its still up around the 2g mark ill probably import.

is this US model any different to the HK/Singapore model in regards to the voltge?
just looking at pictures of the rear panel,
us model says AC 120 V~, 60 Hz where the asian model says AC 220240 V~, 50/60 Hz
i guess this would indicate that us model would need a transformer of some description?

Virtually all US amplifiers are 110v only -
You need a pretty hefty transformer.

I bought my previous 705 from the US.
It's a pain running it through a transformer.

Hence my upgrade to the 809.

#24 browny

browny

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:38 PM

did you gets yours locally or from HK? how much?

#25 crtlover

crtlover

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:42 PM

did you gets yours locally or from HK? how much?

See post #16 this thread
Mark