Blu-Ray Pay It Forward/pass On Thread.

• Please log in to reply
822 replies to this topic

#1 brake

brake

AV Forums Member

• 2,186 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:04 AM

Following up from X-phile's May give away thread, I thought I would pass on the copy of Basic that style_emoticons/default/smile.gif (hard to do his username, lol) passed on to me when I'm done with it next week. I also have The Punisher AUS Release that I would like to throw into the "pass on" pipeline if anyone wants it.

The idea is simple:

We post what we have to add into the "pass on" chain and people claim it with the only condition that they pass it on to the next person that posts in the thread once they're done with it. So the only rules are that the sender pays for postage and the receiver promises to pass it on to the next person and pay for postage also. If you want to request a title, post in the thread requesting it!

You can donate ratty old discs that you have been using for coasters, discs you don't want anymore or ones that have been given to you for free.

Just to clarify:

Rule(s):

- Sender to pay the postage to the receiver, who then pays postage to the next person and so on and so forth.
- After you've watched it and are ready pay it forward/pass it on, Please, post it in the thread so we know it's available again.
- If you have finished with a disc and someone has already requested it, post in the thread anyway that you are done with it and who you are sending it to (then we can track down titles if need be) - this way, all you need to do is perform a quick search on the title you want and see the most recent posts
- If donating a disc, please PM me so I can update the "Master List" and list region coding and/or country of release, if not please list whether it is playable on a Region B machine

Titles currently in circulation: (bold is the forum member who donated them, props!)

Brake:
The Punisher (AUS)
Basic (AUS) (thanks X-Phile!)

Mrj69:
Be Kind Rewind (US - Region A Locked)

PLG1962:
Journey to the Centre of the Earth
Haloween 2 (UK)
Watchmen the complete motion picture comic

Dannycj:
Spiderman 3

Felix.
The Hurt Locker (Region B )
Tudors Season 1 and 2 (Region Free)

SkitZo:
Punisher warzone
Shaun of the dead (region B compatible)
Collateral damage (Region B compatible)

: )
Kandhar Break
Click
Fantastic 4
lies and illusions (AUS Release)
Butterfly on a wheel (AUS release)
Lord of the rings, 1,2 & 3 (Theatrical AUS release)

oldaudiophile:
Outlander
Robocop (US - Region A Locked)
Splinter (US - Region free)
Taking of Phelham 123
Jacob's ladder (US - Region A Locked)
Bruce Springsteen Live in Dublin
Ninja (UK)
Orphan (UK)
In the Loop ( British Comedy )
Jet Li - Fist of Legend
Roy Orbison - Black & White Night (US Release, Region Free)

davep:
Enchanted (Region A Locked)

figjam:
Labour Pains (Region A Locked)
The Guardian (Region B compatible)
Die Another Day (region B )
Dr. No (region B )
From Russia with Love (region B )
Thunderball (region B )

Chopsus:
The Fourth Kind (Region B compatible)

roachy
The Other Guys (US Release - Region Free)

X-Phile
Insidious (US Release Region A Locked)
The X-Files movie 2 pack: Fight the Future/I Want to Believe (US, Region A Locked)
Commando (US Region A Locked)
True Grit (New/Coen Brothers version, Region A Locked)
Battle Los Angeles (Region A locked)
Felon (Region A locked)
The Fourth Kind (Region A locked)
Hanna (Region-free)
John Carpenter's The Ward (Region A locked)
Sorority Row (Region A locked)

hd-abc123
Shamo (region B compatible)

sschen
Total Recall (Region A/B )
Gattaca (US Region Free)

Yorac
Unknown (2006, Region B locked. Not the Liam Neeson film. It's this one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0450340/)
R.E.D. - Special Edition - DTS HD MA 5.1 (US Region A Locked)
Star Wars - Episodes 1 - 6 (AUS Release)
Book of Eli Region (B locked, does not play on some players such as Oppo 83, but plays fine on my Sony 350)
Fast Five - Region B
Die Hard 4 Die Harder (Region B Locked)

*Unknown Users*
Felon (region A locked)

browny
Gladiator - Remastered (Region A locked)
Blood Diamond (region free Leonardo Dicaprio)
Blow (Region free johnny depp)
Sex and the City Movie (Region free)
Terminator 3 Rise of the Machines (US release, Region free 1080i version in DVD case)

bolo
Bruno (Region B Australian release)

bernievink
Butterfly Effect 1, 2 and 3 (Aus release region B )

xc17ed
Bolt (Region B )

XxDeadlyxX
Black Lightning (UK)
New Town Killers (UK)
Cirque du Soleil: Corteo (Sony Region B test disc)
Hollow Man (Sony Region B test disc)
Standard Operating Procedure (Sony Region B test disc)

Gobias
Kingdom of Heaven (AUS Release)

AndyM
Gods and Generals (Aus)
Quo Vadis
Forgetting Sarah Marshall (unrated)

Unknown:
Attack the Block (US Release) Region A locked

Edited by brake, 04 March 2012 - 01:49 PM.

#2 brake

brake

AV Forums Member

• 2,186 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:05 AM

Anyway, what I have to pass on are:

The Punisher (AUS)
Basic (AUS) (Available next week sometime)

#3 Chopsus

Chopsus

AV Forums Member

• 13,480 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:32 AM

A great idea brake!

I would suggest two threads to save confusion:

1. Pay it forward, for "pass on titles"

2. The Borrowers, for loans ... although I doubt we will see much here.

As for the "system" in paying a disc forward, I would suggest that the sender pay postage ('cause they have to when they post it anyway) based on the promise that the receiver agrees to do the same when they pass it on.

edit:PS: I liked the Punisher!

Edited by Chopsus, 05 May 2011 - 10:33 AM.

#4 Wags

Wags

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:42 AM

Anyway, what I have to pass on are:

The Punisher (AUS)

I'll take The Punisher.

This is a good idea guys, hope it keeps going.

Wags

#5 brake

brake

AV Forums Member

• 2,186 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 11:09 AM

A great idea brake!

I would suggest two threads to save confusion:

1. Pay it forward, for "pass on titles"

2. The Borrowers, for loans ... although I doubt we will see much here.

As for the "system" in paying a disc forward, I would suggest that the sender pay postage ('cause they have to when they post it anyway) based on the promise that the receiver agrees to do the same when they pass it on.

edit:PS: I liked the Punisher!

Yep good idea about the postage.

I don't think I'll bother making a Borrow thread... it might be too hard to pull off...

I recall there being a 2012 steelbook being passed around and a calibration disc also, I wonder if I could track those down....

I'll take The Punisher.

This is a good idea guys, hope it keeps going.

Wags

Yep, It would be good to get a little more interest, maybe from the guys in the X-phile give away thread (no obligations though)

I'll probably be able to send The Punisher off tomorrow.

Edited by brake, 05 May 2011 - 11:24 AM.

#6 figjam

figjam

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 11:44 AM

Great idea brake. Can I go the end of the 'Basic' list please?

#7 Beleg Cúthalion

Beleg Cúthalion

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:05 PM

there's also a copy of Seven Pounds floating around that i just (finally) sent to tigersrule10. coudn't find original thread.

it could get really messy trying to wade through pages and pages trying to figure out who is next for a particular title. maybe a google spreadsheet or something could be used to just add your name on the list for any particular title(s)? maybe theres a better way of doing it...

#8 Mjr69

Mjr69

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:32 PM

I have a Region A locked copy of "Be Kind Rewind" - a Jack Black comedy that I am happy to give away. It is one of the few I actually had the time to watch and one that I am happy to let go. Can the first one in this thread that requests it please PM me their address. :)

#9 brake

brake

AV Forums Member

• 2,186 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:01 PM

I have a Region A locked copy of "Be Kind Rewind" - a Jack Black comedy that I am happy to give away. It is one of the few I actually had the time to watch and one that I am happy to let go. Can the first one in this thread that requests it please PM me their address. :)

That's the spirit!!

I wouldn't mind this for a few days, just to watch the special features. I'm in no rush though so I can wait for other people to take it first.

Great idea brake. Can I go the end of the 'Basic' list please?

Sure thing. I've yet to receive it though, probably next week sometime!

PM me your address details.

there's also a copy of Seven Pounds floating around that i just (finally) sent to tigersrule10. coudn't find original thread.

it could get really messy trying to wade through pages and pages trying to figure out who is next for a particular title. maybe a google spreadsheet or something could be used to just add your name on the list for any particular title(s)? maybe theres a better way of doing it...

Cool... was this Seven Pounds disc a pay it forward arragement too? Or you just gave it to him? (I don't want to ask him if it's just a gift, but if it's a "pass it on" deal I will probably ask him)

Anyhoo, Maybe if the person who replies to the thread also sends a PM to the sender straight away ensuring that the title of the BD is in the subject line (only if they are the first person to request it, obviously) That way the sender will only have to look at their inbox and marry it up with the thread (which would more than likely be the current page) to know who to send it to next. And I'm thinking most people wont have more than 2 or discs at a time to send so that makes it 2 or 3 PM's cloggin up their inbox which is not a lot and I assume people wouldn't mind?

Edited by brake, 05 May 2011 - 01:04 PM.

#10 Beleg Cúthalion

Beleg Cúthalion

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:09 PM

yeah i guess youre right. maybe add that to your rules? the seven pounds BD is definately also a pay it forward dealio.

i think the borrowing thread is actually a really good idea (my local video store has very smll BD selection). you could make it so that only members with a certain amount of posts, or certain amount of time can be part though.

#11 Adelaideltpc

Adelaideltpc

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:11 PM

I recall there being a 2012 steelbook being passed around and a calibration disc also, I wonder if I could track those down....

I vaguely remember that thread too, so unless this thread is PINNED - it will get lost in the mist after a few day....

#12 kc01

kc01

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:15 PM

Great idea from the thread starter! Ahem... slowly increasing my post count to be eligible!

Edited by kc01, 05 May 2011 - 01:16 PM.

#13 Wags

Wags

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 02:27 PM

Yep pinning it is a good idea.

So when I have watched a disc I just come back on to this thread and ask who wants it next?

#14 brake

brake

AV Forums Member

• 2,186 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 03:00 PM

Yep pinning it is a good idea.

So when I have watched a disc I just come back on to this thread and ask who wants it next?

Yep that's it!

#15 :)

:)

AV Forums Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 03:46 PM

Yep that's it!

yes simple as that what needs to be, great to see legs on this and people joining in, I'll ask mods to pin this if they can :)

#16 Chopsus

Chopsus

AV Forums Member

• 13,480 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 03:46 PM

Perhaps, as thread and idea originator, you should ask the mods for for senior member/editing access?

Assuming you are prepared to run the thread? Same sort of thing as Yorac does for the reviews and Chesty does for the trades thread.

I can't see it being to big a job unless we end up with a huge library of titles.

I would then suggest having a list of titles with who has them as the first post (that you keep up to date) - then members wanting a particular title can pm them and inquire on availability ..... if someone else has dibs, they can then be referred to them and so on.

I would also suggest that as part of the deal, the receiver posts in the thread that they now have a particular title - this lets everyone know who has it and enables you to edit the firs post to reflect it.

Or perhaps I;m being to organised?

#17 :)

:)

AV Forums Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:07 PM

probably best to keep it simple, and something that takes care of itself. if too high maintenance and burden for one person its going to fall in a heap,

it can be just as simple as people posting here if they have something to pass on. and leave it at that.

and look reality is some discs will fall out of circulation anyways for various reasons. no point trying to track discs around. but we can work on basis that be enough of us willing to chip a disc in at times that will keep this going :)

#18 Chopsus

Chopsus

AV Forums Member

• 13,480 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:10 PM

Fair 'nough

#19 X-phile

X-phile

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:35 PM

Perhaps, as thread and idea originator, you should ask the mods for for senior member/editing access?

I would also suggest that as part of the deal, the receiver posts in the thread that they now have a particular title - this lets everyone know who has it and enables you to edit the firs post to reflect it.

Isn't there a time limit as to how long posts can remain open for editing?

Perhaps I'm thinking of other forums, but I distinctly remember time outs having (dis-)affected the flow of my previous typos lol. At any rate, I've created a monster. A big shout out to Blake for having the goodwill to run with his conscience. As indeed I did when conducting a "giveaway".

It's all good, and I shall endeavour to keep on eye on these pages as/when the need arises to lighten my Blu-ray load. It's a tough job but somebody's gotta do it ;)

#20 yorac

yorac

AV Forums Member

• 23,938 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:41 PM

Isn't there a time limit as to how long posts can remain open for editing?

yes unless you have a post count over about 2740 you only have 24 hour editing rights from the time of your initial post......

#21 Guest_PLG1962_*

Guest_PLG1962_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:10 PM

I can throw in Spider-Man 3 and Journey To The Centre of the Earth if anyone is interested

#22 Wags

Wags

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:26 PM

I can throw in Spider-Man 3 and Journey To The Centre of the Earth if anyone is interested

I've never seen Jouney to the centre of the Earth, so I'll lend that one please.

#23 dannycj

dannycj

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 01:42 AM

I have spiderman 3 to throw in as well :)
Will check out what else I don't want.

#24 brake

brake

AV Forums Member

• 2,186 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:53 AM

probably best to keep it simple, and something that takes care of itself. if too high maintenance and burden for one person its going to fall in a heap,

it can be just as simple as people posting here if they have something to pass on. and leave it at that.

and look reality is some discs will fall out of circulation anyways for various reasons. no point trying to track discs around. but we can work on basis that be enough of us willing to chip a disc in at times that will keep this going :)

Yep... I was thinking just to quote the person's post who first asked for the disc and say that it's sent.

#25 benandfaith

benandfaith

AV Forums Member

• 34 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 11:39 AM

I'd like to be placed at the end of the queue for The Punisher if that's ok (is there a queue?).

Thanks!