• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 darockk

darockk

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:17 AM

i had a search around on this site but couldnt find anyone mention this product.

Its called VIP theatre

The product claims to be able to allow you to watch 3d movies on non 3d displays and projectors.

After reading numerous reviews on avs and demo video's on youtube, i think im sold on this product!
hopefully it works perfectly with my ps3 and epson 8350 setup

I have no idea where to buy it from though.

heres a video showing how it all works:

VIP theatre demo

#2 saxnix

saxnix

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:31 AM

I saw a similar thing with gefen products (I think), a little while back. I will see if I can find the link for you. Gefen do HDMI over cat5 extender and they realised that with a software update they can make any HD tv into a 3d display, and apparently it was even a better picture. Something to do with lower refresh rate causing less eye strain.

#3 bbar

bbar

AV Forums Member

• 6,893 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:35 AM

i had a search around on this site but couldnt find anyone mention this product.

Its called VIP theatre

The product claims to be able to allow you to watch 3d movies on non 3d displays and projectors.

After reading numerous reviews on avs and demo video's on youtube, i think im sold on this product!
hopefully it works perfectly with my ps3 and epson 8350 setup

I have no idea where to buy it from though.

heres a video showing how it all works:

VIP theatre demo

Looks good. Only thing is he keeps mentioning - 'on a 60Hz projector'?

Does that mean power supply or video rate? as I think he used term 60/120Hz so that would suggest video rate.

Also does it require PJ with 120Hz refresh rate for 24p source?

#4 saxnix

saxnix

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:43 AM

My bad, it wasn't Gefen, it was Just Add Power. Here is the link to the article.

#5 darockk

darockk

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:50 AM

My bad, it wasn't Gefen, it was Just Add Power. Here is the link to the article.

looks good also, but the articles says price of 'less than $5000"

the VIP theatre is supposed to be around US$700 with 2 glasses i believe

#6 billmm

billmm

AV Forums Member

• 28 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:22 AM

Look on curtpalme.com/forum/index.php
There is a thread under the product support forum

#7 kopthat

kopthat

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:16 PM

The 3D VIP website looks a bit dogdy, who is going to be the first pioneer to give it a go ?

I could only find links to add the 3D gamer in the purchase section, nothing for 3D Theatre

The YouTube demo showed Side by Side, I assume it would also work with a 3D Blu ray as the input ?

Answered that from their site:

VIP was launched in the US in 2011 promoting universal 3D converters for all 60Hz/120Hz displays working with PS3, 3D-Blu Ray &/or any other 3D content player. As long as a 3D player is utilized, VIP converters will display the contents in 3D - while wearing 3D Active Shutter Glasses.

Whatever the nature of 3D contents - Games, Movies, Live Programming via Satellite/Cable, Internet Streaming Videos &/or Specialized 3D contents - – WATCH it in 3D on your existing display with VIP converters.

VIP is the FIRST to launch a UNIVERSAL 3D converter with HDMI in the World.

Edited by kopthat, 03 May 2011 - 01:20 PM.

#8 darockk

darockk

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:29 PM

The 3D VIP website looks a bit dogdy, who is going to be the first pioneer to give it a go ?

I could only find links to add the 3D gamer in the purchase section, nothing for 3D Theatre

The YouTube demo showed Side by Side, I assume it would also work with a 3D Blu ray as the input ?

Answered that from their site:

VIP was launched in the US in 2011 promoting universal 3D converters for all 60Hz/120Hz displays working with PS3, 3D-Blu Ray &/or any other 3D content player. As long as a 3D player is utilized, VIP converters will display the contents in 3D - while wearing 3D Active Shutter Glasses.

Whatever the nature of 3D contents - Games, Movies, Live Programming via Satellite/Cable, Internet Streaming Videos &/or Specialized 3D contents - WATCH it in 3D on your existing display with VIP converters.

VIP is the FIRST to launch a UNIVERSAL 3D converter with HDMI in the World.

im willing to give it a go, if only i can figure out how to order it!
i just realised I wouldnt ned the 'theatre' model, id only need the 'displayer' model which does framed packed 3d (3d blu rays) and games. The theatre models does everything the displayer model does but also allows sat/cable box compatibilty. this means it supports side by side 3d and top / bottom 3d, i dont think i need that.

yes the website needs to be updated as you've noticed. From what ive read on other forums, you have to email them and some guy named jonathan sets up the order. still awaiting a reply.

#9 MarkTecher

MarkTecher

AV Forums Member

• 5,489 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:23 PM

Looks good. Only thing is he keeps mentioning - 'on a 60Hz projector'?

Does that mean power supply or video rate? as I think he used term 60/120Hz so that would suggest video rate.

Also does it require PJ with 120Hz refresh rate for 24p source?

From what I understand about 3D systems is there are three different versions -
  • Frame packing which is used by BD and requires a projector with 120Hz refresh to be able to run a full 1920 x 1080 per eye at Xhz.
  • Side by Side which is shown in the video is similar to interlacing video, except both left and right eye information as progressive. The fact that is uses two lots of 960 x 1080 is what may cause grief on big projection systems because half of the horizontal rez (vertical lines) are thrown away if fed a 3D source a frame packed source like 3DBD.
  • Top to Bottom was originally used in film and has for some reason carried over to video. Like Side by Side, it too uses only half the picture information, but because each eye is just 540 x 1920, I am betting this one looks the worst.

The key point to this product is that it works on ANY 60P projector, so you don't get the "full 3D" experience of frame packed 1920 x 1080 x 2, but rather 960 x 1080 x 2.

I would be keen to give this a go whilst in the transitional stages of upgrading to 3D.

#10 darockk

darockk

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:44 PM

The key point to this product is that it works on ANY 60P projector, so you don't get the "full 3D" experience of frame packed 1920 x 1080 x 2, but rather 960 x 1080 x 2.

im under the impression that it will do the frame packed 3d but not in full 1080p, it will only do it at 720p, 30hz per eye on a 60hz projector

Edited by darockk, 03 May 2011 - 03:45 PM.

#11 MarkTecher

MarkTecher

AV Forums Member

• 5,489 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:37 PM

im under the impression that it will do the frame packed 3d but not in full 1080p, it will only do it at 720p, 30hz per eye on a 60hz projector

In doing some more research on this and it seems there are 3 levels of product. "Displayer" is looking to be the one that would work best for me for movies. It looks like it will take frame packed 3D 1080/24P in, converts it 2 x 1080/30P, not 2 x 1080/60P like the JVC would display it at, hence why it is compatible on a 1080/60P projector. Still researching as there are many that simply say 60Hz is not fast enough for 3D and that 120 or 2x 60P is still required. That You-Tube video looks pretty convincing to me though.

#12 bbar

bbar

AV Forums Member

• 6,893 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:33 PM

From what I understand about 3D systems is there are three different versions -

• Frame packing which is used by BD and requires a projector with 120Hz refresh to be able to run a full 1920 x 1080 per eye at Xhz.
  • Side by Side which is shown in the video is similar to interlacing video, except both left and right eye information as progressive. The fact that is uses two lots of 960 x 1080 is what may cause grief on big projection systems because half of the horizontal rez (vertical lines) are thrown away if fed a 3D source a frame packed source like 3DBD.
  • Top to Bottom was originally used in film and has for some reason carried over to video. Like Side by Side, it too uses only half the picture information, but because each eye is just 540 x 1920, I am betting this one looks the worst.

I would be keen to give this a go whilst in the transitional stages of upgrading to 3D.

thanks Mark

#13 MarkTecher

MarkTecher

AV Forums Member

• 5,489 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:47 PM

thanks Mark

The latest suggests that you do get the full 1920 x 1080P, just at 30P not 60P. If the 30 x 2 is fast enough to not have you see flicker is the question. If this works as well as it does on the video, then I want one.

#14 MarkTecher

MarkTecher

AV Forums Member

• 5,489 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:11 AM

The latest suggests that you do get the full 1920 x 1080P, just at 30P not 60P. If the 30 x 2 is fast enough to not have you see flicker is the question. If this works as well as it does on the video, then I want one.

Still researching and it looks like [Frame packing: 720p60, 720p50, 720p30, 1080p24, 1080p25, 1080p30] it does what we require :)

#15 darockk

darockk

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:27 AM

i found out where you can buy them from, however this is not directly from VIP so prices may not be the best.
in any event, still no reply from VIP themselves.

VIP products

the RF 3d glasses appear to be a rebranded set of the monster vision max 3d glasses. quite pricey over the IR glasses but some will see benefits having the rechargable batteries and the RF reliabilty. apparently theres more options like picture adjust delays etc..

#16 MarkTecher

MarkTecher

AV Forums Member

• 5,489 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:51 AM

i found out where you can buy them from, however this is not directly from VIP so prices may not be the best.
in any event, still no reply from VIP themselves.

VIP products

the RF 3d glasses appear to be a rebranded set of the monster vision max 3d glasses. quite pricey over the IR glasses but some will see benefits having the rechargable batteries and the RF reliabilty. apparently theres more options like picture adjust delays etc..

A rechargeable battery would be handy.
I've read a mix or reports about the Vision Max glasses.
The price looks good, but it seems no emitter or glasses included, yet the video shows glasses and emitter comes with the kit (?). If it does not come with the emitter and glasses, I wonder if the JVCs emitter and glasses will work with this? The plug in the back looks similar.
Like you, no word back from VIP either.

Edited by MarkTecher, 04 May 2011 - 12:02 PM.

#17 darockk

darockk

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:42 PM

it took me while to work it out, but the ones in the youtube video i posted are not RF glasses, they are IR glasses.

they sell these on that website i listed for $139.99, which includes 1 glasses and 1 IR emitter, additional IR glasses are $99.99

the other option is the RF, rechargable glasses:

you get 1 X glasses with the RF emitter. $199.99

each additional set of RF glasses come in sets of 1. $129.99

so 2 pairs would set you back around $330

i think all IR emitters have the same plug. in the RF set, i think you also get an IR emitter AND an IR to RF converter?

#18 kopthat

kopthat

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 02:31 PM

A review from someone on the AVS forum, sounds very promosing
http://www.avsforum....d.php?t=1323671

Also from a post further down a reply on pricing:

The answer I received from Jonathan:

The following two products will work with your Sony television:
We will have 3D Theatre/3D-Displayer in stock in the first week of April.
3D-Theatre: $499.00 (Games, Movies, Satellite/Cable & Internet and 60Hz/120Hz TV/projector)
3D-Displayer: $299.00 (Games and Movies & 60Hz/120Hz TV/projector)
IR emitter glasses with emitter: $129.00
DLP Link glasses: $70.0

This may be of interest too:
http://3dvision-blog...ideo-converter/

Edited by kopthat, 04 May 2011 - 02:34 PM.

#19 ttn

ttn

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 03:23 PM

if this really works, how about a group buy ? :blush:

#20 MarkTecher

MarkTecher

AV Forums Member

• 5,489 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:44 PM

if this really works, how about a group buy ? :blush:

If it does work, I am all for that.

Question and I can't seem to find an actual answer: Does this convert 1080P down to 720P. If so, then I will give it a miss.

#21 darockk

darockk

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:47 PM

This may be of interest too:
http://3dvision-blog...ideo-converter/

that's talking about the 3D gamer product. it will only work on DLP projectors, and will only work for games, not 3d blu ray movies like the VIP displayer model does.

#22 MarkTecher

MarkTecher

AV Forums Member

• 5,489 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:48 AM

that's talking about the 3D gamer product. it will only work on DLP projectors, and will only work for games, not 3d blu ray movies like the VIP displayer model does.

We only want either "Displayer" or "Theater".

I got a response back, but I didn't get the answers I wanted.

#23 darockk

darockk

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:38 PM

ive got one VIP displayer coming from USA with the RF monster max glasses...will see if this all works.

will also test these glasses on a samsung 3d tv to see if they really are universal.

#24 MarkTecher

MarkTecher

AV Forums Member

• 5,489 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:46 PM

ive got one VIP displayer coming from USA with the RF monster max glasses...will see if this all works.

will also test these glasses on a samsung 3d tv to see if they really are universal.

Look forward to reading all about this.

#25 kopthat

kopthat

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 03:38 PM

Shame it doesn't work in reverse, I have 4 pairs of Samsung Glasses.

Hope all goes well with the test.

So by all accounts the VIP displayer should work with my old Mitsubishi HC1100 720p ?

From Mits site:
Video compatibility

NTSC / NTSC 4.43 / PAL (including PAL-M, N) / SECAM / PAL-60
480i/p(525i/p), 576i/p(625i/p), 720p(750p 50/60Hz), 1080i(1125i 50/60Hz),
(1080i(1250i 50Hz) is not available)
SCART (RGB + 1V sync)