1 reply to this topic

#1 Redboy

Redboy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:50 PM

Hi

I bought today and was very disappoint because subtitle is messy pop up late and missing some word and random whole black screen. What an awful item.

I'm going send back to the shop is DICK SMITH ! What a fail. :angry2: I can't wait to get rid sooner the better.

Edited by Redboy, 04 April 2011 - 08:13 PM.

#2 BunyipBoy

BunyipBoy

AV Forum Member

• 1 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:09 PM

Hello All. I bought the DGTEC DG-HD0810 yesterday and set it up this morning. I bought an AKAI AD185X in Sept 2010. The AKAI disappointed me because the recordings would sign off without instruction or any apparent reasons and the EPG often screened inaccurate programs. Sub-Titles were also of concern, but there was a software fix for that, fortunately. The other concern was that the files were not time stamped and placed in folders, using the .TS extension. I discovered that the software for the tuner and PVR were identical to that found in OLIN and TEAC set top boxes.

Well, guess what? - DGTEC DG-HD0810 is pretty much the same. It still uses the same software as the AKAI, OLIN, and TEAC, so that means .TS files with no timestamps. (I much preferred my little BUSCH SD tuner which recorded and named individual files in MPEG.)

However, the DGTEC STB does appear to be more responsive, both in recording, changing channels, and accessing the EPG. And it has some cool features: (1) The folders now name the program being recorded. (2) You can record one channel while viewing another, as long as the other channel belongs to the same stations (e.g. Record Nine, view GO or GEM). (3) Buttons on the remote are clearly marked as per function, including an Aspect Ratio button which works remarkably well.

What are my beefs? ~ The EPG is not always accurate (as was my AKAI), displaying programs at other times instead of the current one. The Sub-Titles are a program, as described on this thread. Also the buttons on the bottom part of the remote are tiny, in comparison to the others.

These small round buttons are all related to PVR features, except one: the SCAN button. I accidentally pressed it and my STB proceeded to rescan the stations and channels all over again (ARGGH!!). That's a function that should be restricted to the MENU, where setting up and editing channels are password protected. I tried to disable the SCAN button by using the child lock, but it didn't work. Can you imagine little Johnny or Great Aunt Agatha trying to use the remote and accidentally pressing this button?

So what is my rating? -- 85% thumbs up for the cool features I mentioned. It's great to be able to view other channels (not all of them though) while recording and having the folders being created with the name of the program being recorded. -- 15% thumbs down for having a SCAN button (which can't be locked), sometimes inaccurate EPG (as is the case with the other STB's mentioned), and problems with the SUB-TITLES.

Cheers from Penguin Isle (Phillip Island VIC)