Abc - Bad Reception

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Reggie

Reggie

AV Forum Member

• 34 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:37 PM

(This is a repost from the originally incorrect location!! :blush: )

I've been receiving digital for 3 or so years now with no problems (other than the odd period of pixelation which I've never been able to nail the cause - sometimes wet season during storms - sometimes in dry season without a cloud in the sky but a bit windy - some times in perfect weather conditions??).

At around Cyclone Carlos time a few weeks ago, things got really bad - and i just put it down to $hitty weather - but now that the weather is clear again, I basically have no digital reception on any ABC channels - other than one digital TV (all other channels are back OK!!)

I have 4 TV outlets - x2 digital TV's, 1 'old' TV running off a SD set top box, and a big screen TV running off a multimedia PC with tuner card. I have an old Kingray SA214V Video Combiner/Splitter/Amplifier sharing the RF signal - all these outlets had great reception (other than spasmodic pixelation as per above) up until recently.

Now, all but one digital TV have no reception of any ABC channel. The one that does have ABC signal, seems to be 'pillarboxed' although the picture is OK.

Before I spend a squillion getting the antennae man in - is there a simple fix I might be missing (eg the 'new' antenna on the roof - which I presume is the digital jobby & pointing towards Berrimah seems OK - but the 'old' one pointing towards the city seems a bit wind/sun damaged!! - is this where ABC comes from??).

If I replace this 'old style' antenna will it fix my no ABC issue (I thought the one pointing to the city was for channel 9??).

BTW - I'm in Coconut Grove.

#2 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,591 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 01:25 AM

Reggie,
All of Darwin's DTV signals come from Berrimah. Darwin North DTV transmitters are yet to start.

You should be using an Band 4 only UHF antenna. All of the elements should be about the same length. If there is a few much longer ones, its designed for old channels 6 & 8 which are only used for analog TV. This type of antenna will make your reception more unreliable than a Band 4 only antenna.

I would also check the cabling outside that water has not got in due to cracking of the outer sheath.

The Blake St site only has the pair of Analog VHF transmitters. Berrimah has analog UHF duplicates for the Blake St transmitters.

Get rid of your old antenna alltogether.

Go to Get the best reception - Darwin and click on the H4 link to see a list of appropriate antenna models. If you get the one with the larger number of dBs may mean you can remove the amplifier which can make reception worse during times of lightning.

AlanH

#3 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 09:38 PM

Reggie,
All of Darwin's DTV signals come from Berrimah. Darwin North DTV transmitters are yet to start.

AlanH

AlanH I thought you said there were no plans to start digital transmitter at Darwin North?

As for OP the best bet you can do is get a digital antenna and digital cable and point the antenna to berrimah for the time being and eventually Darwin North if AlanH is to be believed.

#4 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,591 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:57 PM

Will,
Its on the list from the broadcasters for the trade off for the DBCDE paying for satellite time for VAST.
I would not expect it much before the first half of 2013.

This is provided there is not a change of heart by the broadcasters.
AlanH

#5 The Baja

The Baja

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 06:10 PM

Try This. Just type Darwin in the search Box & all is Good

http://www.acma.gov....100059/tv_9.pdf

#6 Crazystu

Crazystu

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 06:54 PM

It seems Digital TV is an experiment and has been for quite some time. Something works one day and doesn't the next. There are many many examples of the broadcast providers screwing with things all over Australia. Anyone here live in Murray Bridge in SA?

What i'm saying is perhaps your broadcast is being screwed with.

Hope it all works out.

#7 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,591 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 12:47 AM

CrazyStu,
DTV is no experiment, there have not been problems all over Australia.

If you have problems in Murray Bridge, read Get the best reception - Regional SA
Then post your present problems in that strand.

AlanH