Complete List Of Cropped & Open Matte Australian Releases

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#101 athlon

athlon

AV Forums Member

• 56 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:01 PM

Hesher is cropped but the weird thing is its a Universal release here. However it looks like it was authored by another distribution company as it doesn't have the standard Universal menus. US edition is OAR.

#102 XxDeadlyxX

XxDeadlyxX

AV Forums Member

• 1,783 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:38 PM

Hesher is cropped but the weird thing is its a Universal release here. However it looks like it was authored by another distribution company as it doesn't have the standard Universal menus. US edition is OAR.

Added to the list. Thanks athlon for your continued support in adding titles to the thread B)

That's a shame about that one - the US version looks by far the better option with OAR and 7.1 audio too (which considering the music in this should sound great!)

I just started using Quickflix too so I'll be trying to rent as many films from distributors like Icon and Roadshow (where the film should be 2.35:1) - to try and really make this list 'complete' :D

As I'm sure there are many more out there that are bad.

#103 XxDeadlyxX

XxDeadlyxX

AV Forums Member

• 1,783 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 08:12 PM

Update: New addition:

100 Feet (Icon) - open matte & reframing - US version is OAR - more picture info on top/bottom, less on sides

#104 XxDeadlyxX

XxDeadlyxX

AV Forums Member

• 1,783 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 03:01 PM

Update: New Addition:

Smart People (Icon) - open matte & reframing - US version is OAR - more picture info on top/bottom, less on sides

Well just like 100 Feet (the previous addition), if it is a Super 35-shot film, it's almost a guarantee that Icon will release it open matte/re-framed it seems.

Also the above disc is 1080i50 so that's a double fail there. US version of this and 100 Feet are by far the better ones - just like pretty much every other title on this list -_-

Edited by XxDeadlyxX, 02 October 2011 - 03:04 PM.

#105 athlon

athlon

AV Forums Member

• 56 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 05:04 PM

I just started using Quickflix too so I'll be trying to rent as many films from distributors like Icon and Roadshow (where the film should be 2.35:1) - to try and really make this list 'complete' :D

Their service is pretty good these days.

One title that i have been meaning to borrow is The Way Back, the back cover states it as 1:78:1 and roadshow is pretty good at stating the technical specs.

#106 XxDeadlyxX

XxDeadlyxX

AV Forums Member

• 1,783 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 05:21 PM

One title that i have been meaning to borrow is The Way Back, the back cover states it as 1:78:1 and roadshow is pretty good at stating the technical specs.

Yeh true but in this case they are wrong luckily - I borrowed it and it's 2.35:1 OAR luckily.

#107 Ian13

Ian13

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 09:56 AM

Hi to all

I think i may have a title to add to the list of cropped or open matte movies, but not 100% sure

The Wrong Man (released as Lucky Number Slevin elsewhere)It is a Roadshow release.
According to Blu Ray.com its OAR is 2:39:1
The US, Canadian, German and our Aussie release state 2:40:1 but i have just purchased it from JB Hi Fi and on the back cover it states AR as 1:78:1.
The UK and French releases are in the OAR of 2:39:1
I have not broken the seal yet to watch it just incase it is not in its OAR so i can return it and buy it from overseas.

Can anyone confirm the Aussie release aspect ratio.

cheers

#108 XxDeadlyxX

XxDeadlyxX

AV Forums Member

• 1,783 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:24 AM

Hi to all

I think i may have a title to add to the list of cropped or open matte movies, but not 100% sure

The Wrong Man (released as Lucky Number Slevin elsewhere)It is a Roadshow release.
According to Blu Ray.com its OAR is 2:39:1
The US, Canadian, German and our Aussie release state 2:40:1 but i have just purchased it from JB Hi Fi and on the back cover it states AR as 1:78:1.
The UK and French releases are in the OAR of 2:39:1
I have not broken the seal yet to watch it just incase it is not in its OAR so i can return it and buy it from overseas.

Can anyone confirm the Aussie release aspect ratio.

cheers

I'll rent it from quickflix and check it out.

#109 Ian13

Ian13

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:31 PM

I'll rent it from quickflix and check it out.

Thanks for that, much appreciated.
I hope it turns out like the above post on the movie The Way Back which stated a 1:78:1 AR and in fact it was 2:35:1 AR.

cheers

#110 XxDeadlyxX

XxDeadlyxX

AV Forums Member

• 1,783 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:10 PM

Thanks for that, much appreciated.
I hope it turns out like the above post on the movie The Way Back which stated a 1:78:1 AR and in fact it was 2:35:1 AR.

cheers

Just received the title today, and good news - it is 2.35:1 OAR :)

So yep the back cover is wrong luckily.

Watch away ;)

#111 XxDeadlyxX

XxDeadlyxX

AV Forums Member

• 1,783 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:10 PM

Update:

Actually a bit of good news - I have started borrowing some suspect titles from the Aussie studios like Icon, Eagle Entertainment etc from Quickflix, the latest to arrive was 9th Company, and to my surprise it is in 2.35:1 OAR with good PQ. So it's one worth getting. It has both Russian and English DTS 5.1 audio (1.5mbps). The US release only has 2.0 russian and 5.1 english (both Dolby Digital). So the Australian release seems to be the best worldwide.

#112 athlon

athlon

AV Forums Member

• 56 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:07 AM

Feast released by Reel is open matte.

#113 XxDeadlyxX

XxDeadlyxX

AV Forums Member

• 1,783 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:32 PM

Feast released by Reel is open matte.

Thanks for the info, will add it to OP soon. Didn't even know this one was released here - I only had the US version which was OAR.

EDIT: and added.

Edited by XxDeadlyxX, 26 November 2011 - 12:29 PM.

#114 AzagTh0tH

AzagTh0tH

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 06:20 PM

New release Faces is the Crowd is listed as 1.78:1 on the cover. Blu-ray.com has the Zone A as 2.39:1 with screenshots.

Can anyone confirm our disc is botched or mislabeled? It was enough for me to put it back down in the shop.

#115 XxDeadlyxX

XxDeadlyxX

AV Forums Member

• 1,783 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:31 PM

New release Faces is the Crowd is listed as 1.78:1 on the cover. Blu-ray.com has the Zone A as 2.39:1 with screenshots.

Can anyone confirm our disc is botched or mislabeled? It was enough for me to put it back down in the shop.

I'll borrow it from Quickflix ASAP - it looks like it's released by Roadshow correct? The US disc on the blu-ray.com review gets 5/5 for PQ too so if the AU is in any way dodgy then the US will be the way to go.

#116 AzagTh0tH

AzagTh0tH

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:42 PM

I'll borrow it from Quickflix ASAP - it looks like it's released by Roadshow correct? The US disc on the blu-ray.com review gets 5/5 for PQ too so if the AU is in any way dodgy then the US will be the way to go.

Yup fairly sure it's a Roadshow. I sent an email to them a few months ago complaining about this issue on another title. I of course never heard anything back.

#117 athlon

athlon

AV Forums Member

• 56 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:56 PM

I watched two Blu-ray's from Quickflix over the weekend and both weren't OAR.

Everything Must Go released by Madman is cropped.
Green Street Hooligans released by Reel is open matte/ reframing.

#118 XxDeadlyxX

XxDeadlyxX

AV Forums Member

• 1,783 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 12:26 PM

I watched two Blu-ray's from Quickflix over the weekend and both weren't OAR.

Everything Must Go released by Madman is cropped.
Green Street Hooligans released by Reel is open matte/ reframing.

Both added.

And wow am I surprised about Everything Must Go - I myself was actually looking forward to getting that one (it was in my queue too), but I have now removed it now I have this news! Madman still release some duds it seems - haven't seen a cropped title from them for a while. The last one I remember was Ten Canoes.

And again, many thanks athlon for your continued support in this thread B)

#119 AzagTh0tH

AzagTh0tH

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 12:29 PM

Madman still release some duds it seems - haven't seen a cropped title from them for a while.

Although it's DVD and not Blu-ray, their recent-ish release of Julian Sands' Warlock was the same tired 4:3 disc that the US put out at the dawn of DVD. The UK has a 16:9 disc from a new HD master.

#120 XxDeadlyxX

XxDeadlyxX

AV Forums Member

• 1,783 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:32 PM

Yeh it's almost normal now for us to get screwed here in AU when it comes to releases.

One I am borrowing ASAP is Red Dog - it's a great movie apparently but it's Roadshow so they might screw it up...

Shot on RED One camera - so might end up getting open matte transfer but I hope it's OAR....

#121 XxDeadlyxX

XxDeadlyxX

AV Forums Member

• 1,783 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:02 AM

Update: New addition:

Faces in the Crowd (Roadshow) - open matte & reframing - US version is OAR

Also borrowed 'Beastly' which is also Roadshow, but it is OAR :)

#122 athlon

athlon

AV Forums Member

• 56 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:01 PM

Larry Crowne distributed by Pinnacle films is cropped.

Roadshows Red Dog is OAR.

#123 709er

709er

AV Forums Member

• 3,475 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:41 PM

Excellent!

#124 XxDeadlyxX

XxDeadlyxX

AV Forums Member

• 1,783 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:50 AM

Larry Crowne distributed by Pinnacle films is cropped.

Thanks, added. Just having a glance on Quickflix I thought it was released by Universal here but obviously not!

Also that is excellent news about Red Dog, I'm really glad they didn't screw that one up.

#125 Ian13

Ian13

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 03:05 PM

Spartacus (50th anniversary edition)

Not sure about this one, websites say OAR is 2:35:1 but back of cover on both the Australian and UK releases state 1:85:1.

can anyone confirm what these releases actually are, hoping back covers are incorrect.

Unopened christmas present, will keep if AR is original 2:35:1