My BDP-95 fan noise results:
Ambient T: 23.0C (73.4F)
BDP-95 on flat surface, fully open on either side
Well vented behind and above.

Cold Start: Playing CD-DA:
Fan starts after 45 min.
Fan stops after an additional 10 min.
Fan starts again after an additional 10 min

I measured the SPL (Sound Pressure Level) 2 ft from the front of the BDP-95 with a calibrated mike and low-noise 20 - 20kHz preamp. Microphone was aimed at and horizontally level with the BDP-95 front panel. Back of BDP-95 was 7" from room wall.

Noise from the BDP-95 fan: 30 dB SPL

Listening ~ 6 ft from the BDP-95 would result in ~ 10 dB lower SPL (or ~ 20 dB SPL)

#27 bradp51

bradp51

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:25 PM

Some noise measurements:
http://www.avsforum....;postcount=3445

Have not noticed any fan noise at any time. Have not heard it ever come on or go off. My player is behind a glass door cabinet......but half the time the door is open. sit about 2.7 metres from the unit. Not an issue for this user.

Great detail in your feedback about the fan. Have to get an SPL meter to do things like that. Then of course there is having the time to do it.

oops sorry pete, just read the link, thought it was you that took the measurements.

Edited by bradp51, 16 May 2011 - 06:28 PM.

#28 myrantz

myrantz

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,181 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:35 AM

Great detail in your feedback about the fan. Have to get an SPL meter to do things like that. Then of course there is having the time to do it.

It's not the noise one should worry about, it's when they stop working...

The fan is a 40mm right? There are fans of that size that are near silent (and very cheap from e-bay). However, the downside of 40mm fans in general is they seize up way too easily (esp when one lives in a dusty environment)..

Do you or anybody know if the Oppo will inform you if the fan will stop working?

Hoping Noctua will release a 40mm version of their excellent fans.. :P

#29 DenonCi

DenonCi

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:20 PM

I does not matter if the fun stopped working the Heat sink on the video processor is big enough to keep it cool.

You can always water cool it like my Computer :lol:

#30 Dimka

Dimka

AV Forum Member

• 25 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:25 PM

Hi,

Any ideas how the Oppo 95 would perform against the Marantz SA8003 in 2channel CD playback music only? I would like to upgrade my Marantz and was looking at the Oppo for a while now.

Thank You

#31 petetherock

petetherock

AV Forum Member

• 3,151 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 02:00 PM

I had the Marantz some time back, and in comparison to the 83 NE the Marantz even with the mods made was not as good, so that should give you some idea.

Also the Marantz has a more warm and more polite sound, which may be closer to the 95 than the 83 NE.

#32 DenonCi

DenonCi

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 09:44 PM

Has Anyone compared the Oppo 95 to Musical Fidelity A5 or A5-5 M6CD Players.

I had both the A5-5 and the M6CDP and always give me the WOW Factor running of my M6i Amp.

Edited by Musical, 22 May 2011 - 09:54 AM.

#33 petetherock

petetherock

AV Forum Member

• 3,151 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:42 AM

Remember my posts earlier about the oppo as an all in one machine which sounds decent rather than the super killer that some avs members like to portray.

I think you may need an ABX to find out. But IMO the MF should be much better.

#34 Dimka

Dimka

AV Forum Member

• 25 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:23 PM

So basically you are saing that the Oppo 83SE was supperior to the Marantz and hence you think the Oppo 95 will be even better?

You also have indicated that the Oppo 95 has a similar sound signature to the Marantz players and hence it should be a good upgrade?

Thank You

I had the Marantz some time back, and in comparison to the 83 NE the Marantz even with the mods made was not as good, so that should give you some idea.

Also the Marantz has a more warm and more polite sound, which may be closer to the 95 than the 83 NE.

#35 petetherock

petetherock

AV Forum Member

• 3,151 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 09:42 PM

Oppo BD 95 review part III: Region Free Mod and HDMI lessons learnt

I used my Oppo 95 mainly with a stereo based system, but after installing the region free mod, I swopped out the BD 83 NE and now it’s connected to my HT system. It took 30 minutes or so to get the board installed by a dealer, then now you need to press the dimmer button thrice, followed by the mute button and then the number, 1 for region A, 2 for region B and 3 for region C. Then switch off the player and restart it. Viola, you can now play other region discs. There are no beeps, unlike the older BD 83.

Now the 95 is a HDMI v 1.4 player, and mating that with other equipment can prove troublesome. My Denon AVR 2809 is a HDMI 1.3a, and so is my Pioneer Kuro plasma. Playing a Region B Red Cliff BR disc proved to be a lesson in trouble-shooting. The screen kept going blank after the initial preview trailers, and the same happened for Cliffhanger, another Region B disc.

First, make sure the secondary audio is switched off. Otherwise you may not get bitstream lossless audio and be limited to LPCM output from the BR player.

Next switch off the 3D function of the player. Then if there seems to be a difficulty in sync, switch HDMI inputs. That forces the amp to try and re-establish the HDMI sync again and this tends to reset things and get the player back into play.

Finally also check that you are using a “High Speed” HDMI cable, especially if you are using a longer length. Nowadays, there isn’t supposed to be HDMI 1.4 or 1.3, just “High Speed” or “Standard”.

The images generated are stable, and audio through HDMI is also clear. Beware of any audible “improvements” in sound quality over HDMI. It is more likely to be due to differences in input voltage which translates into volume differences and that is perceived as changes in sound quality.

#36 bradp51

bradp51

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:57 PM

Oppo BD 95 review part III: Region Free Mod and HDMI lessons learnt

I used my Oppo 95 mainly with a stereo based system, but after installing the region free mod, I swopped out the BD 83 NE and now it’s connected to my HT system. It took 30 minutes or so to get the board installed by a dealer, then now you need to press the dimmer button thrice, followed by the mute button and then the number, 1 for region A, 2 for region B and 3 for region C. Then switch off the player and restart it. Viola, you can now play other region discs. There are no beeps, unlike the older BD 83.

Now the 95 is a HDMI v 1.4 player, and mating that with other equipment can prove troublesome. My Denon AVR 2809 is a HDMI 1.3a, and so is my Pioneer Kuro plasma. Playing a Region B Red Cliff BR disc proved to be a lesson in trouble-shooting. The screen kept going blank after the initial preview trailers, and the same happened for Cliffhanger, another Region B disc.

First, make sure the secondary audio is switched off. Otherwise you may not get bitstream lossless audio and be limited to LPCM output from the BR player.

Next switch off the 3D function of the player. Then if there seems to be a difficulty in sync, switch HDMI inputs. That forces the amp to try and re-establish the HDMI sync again and this tends to reset things and get the player back into play.

Finally also check that you are using a “High Speed” HDMI cable, especially if you are using a longer length. Nowadays, there isn’t supposed to be HDMI 1.4 or 1.3, just “High Speed” or “Standard”.

The images generated are stable, and audio through HDMI is also clear. Beware of any audible “improvements” in sound quality over HDMI. It is more likely to be due to differences in input voltage which translates into volume differences and that is perceived as changes in sound quality.

Using 1.4 HDMI for all connections and have a Denon 3808A. No troublesome mating of TV or AVR with my setup. There is a lot of clicking etc during handshake time for BD but always works out. Still have 3D function on for 3d BD. No issues with region changes or either. Guess its just how some equipment connects up.

I certainly have not had the troublesome issues with mine. :D

#37 :)

:)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:15 PM

Using 1.4 HDMI for all connections and have a Denon 3808A. No troublesome mating of TV or AVR with my setup. There is a lot of clicking etc during handshake time for BD but always works out. Still have 3D function on for 3d BD. No issues with region changes or either. Guess its just how some equipment connects up.

I certainly have not had the troublesome issues with mine. :D

yep been no issues at all with my denon avp and the 95 either, have used testing with epson 5500 on the dual out of the avp as well and there too no issues :)

#38 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:05 PM

http://hcc.techradar...p-95eu-11-08-11

home cinema choice review there rating it 5/5

note this is for the EU version. which doesnt come with the media player functions the us model does. which is a good thing in my opinion as the media player makes the us player unnecessarily sluggish on boot up. ie non responsive to closing tray when booting while it searches the network for media sources etc...

#39 GaryCook

GaryCook

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:55 AM

Hi Peter, easy question to ask but I suspect not so easy to answer, do you find much difference in the stereo performance between the 95's digital output and its analogue output?

The reason I ask, yesterday I did a power amp install for my uncle and he has a 93. So I took the opportunity to switch outputs from it to an AV pre amp and to a stereo pre map, with the same power amps and speakers of course. I could notice a difference, but it was very subtle and varied depending on the source.

So the usual question arose, is the analogue performance of the 95 that much better that it justifies the additional cost?

Cheers
Gary

#40 petetherock

petetherock

AV Forum Member

• 3,151 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:10 AM

The 93 uses a totally different DAC.

Even for my mid to budget AVR 2809, there was a difference in switching from analogue to digital.

With the 95, using it with my MF A5.5 stereo amp and B/W speakers did not embarrass it. I would not buy the 95 unless you are willing to spend on a nice stereo based system, which can bring out the best in the player.

#41 JohnE

JohnE

AV Forum Member

• 17 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 12:38 PM

Even for my mid to budget AVR 2809, there was a difference in switching from analogue to digital.

With the 95, using it with my MF A5.5 stereo amp and B/W speakers did not embarrass it. I would not buy the 95 unless you are willing to spend on a nice stereo based system, which can bring out the best in the player.

Good to have "real world" feedback on the 95's performance. I've had mine now for 3 weeks and have gone through similar experiences as you with sound quality. It has had the solid state mods from Modwright and I use it for both movies and two channel stereo. I was hoping for something "out of the box", particularly as it was replacing the 83SE without mods which I was impressed with, although as many have commented the highs could be a bit hot at times depending on the recording. Up until yesterday I wasn't that impressed with the 95 however it kept me up late last night playing some discs I haven't listened to for some time. The sound has improved and I'm hoping it will continue to...I'm now getting much better stereo image with more detail. The bass has always been excellent from day 1. My speakers, Revel Performa F30's are very revealing and don't take kindly to hot high frenquencies so the 95 and them should be a good match. Picture quality is superb into a Pioneer Kuro 60".
Will update further down the track depending on how it pans out.

#42 GaryCook

GaryCook

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:58 PM

I am aware that the 95 has superior DAC's to the 93, it's actually what prompts the question.

For stereo I already have an Emotiva USP-1 pre amp and I am currently using a borrowed XPA-2 power amp. The front L/R speakers are currently Ascension 863's with Edward's tweater upgrade. The turntable is a Denon DD with a Sumitomo cartridge which has really benefited from the inclusion of the USP-1.

Sufficient to "bring out the best in the player" ?

Cheers
Gary

Edited by GaryCook, 15 August 2011 - 04:13 PM.

#43 petetherock

petetherock

AV Forum Member

• 3,151 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:28 PM

What is "sufficient" will depend on your own ears... whilst some need a B/W Nautilus, others thrive on a wee mp3 player... so if it is the latter, then you are blessed...

#44 GaryCook

GaryCook

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:22 PM

OK let's make this simple, on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being "I can barely hear any difference" to 10 being "holly crappola Batman, listen to that". Utilising your ears and your equipment what would be the difference beween using the 95 DAC's compared to not using them.

Cheers
Gary

Edited by GaryCook, 16 August 2011 - 02:23 PM.

#45 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:44 PM

OK let's make this simple, on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being "I can barely hear any difference" to 10 being "holly crappola Batman, listen to that". Utilising your ears and your equipment what would be the difference beween using the 95 DAC's compared to not using them.

Cheers
Gary

hi Gary I never understand these questions that try to get people to pin down a quantitative response on what is a very subjective evalution and considered though personal opinion.

youd be better off trying borrow one, or finding someone in your area. theres probably a few 95 owners about on forum where you are. and see if someone keen to bring over your place or willing for you to come over so you can expereince for yourself to come to own conclusions :)

because yeah as per pete one persons "wow what a improvement" in audio can for someone elses be "what are you talking about ! " :D

#46 GaryCook

GaryCook

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:22 PM

hi Gary I never understand these questions that try to get people to pin down a quantitative response on what is a very subjective evalution and considered though personal opinion.

youd be better off trying borrow one, or finding someone in your area. theres probably a few 95 owners about on forum where you are. and see if someone keen to bring over your place or willing for you to come over so you can expereince for yourself to come to own conclusions :)

because yeah as per pete one persons "wow what a improvement" in audio can for someone elses be "what are you talking about ! " :D

I don't have the same problem, if someone asks my opinion then I give it to them. I may well make the effort to remind the asker that it’s my opinion, with my ears and my equipment and so my comments should be taken in that context. Call it a disclaimer if necessary. It would seem to me that it is illogical to withhold a personal opinion because it may not align with the asker’s opinion. After all why would he ask if he didn’t want my personal opinion?
That's why I highlighted and underlined "your ears and your equipment" because I full well understand that it may not align with my ears or my equipment.

Cheers

Gary

#47 Curious

Curious

AV Forum Member

• 2,526 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:29 AM

Howdy all,

Just caught up with this thread after a few months and a question came to mind, is anyone using the pre in the 95?... And if so, do you find the very first setting on volume control when listening to CD is actually very loud? :huh:

Not so much with BDs but very much so on CD playback.

Not sure if there is a mod or adjustment that can be made to attenuate down for the opening setting :unsure:

Just curious... ^_^

Edited by Curious, 23 August 2011 - 09:31 AM.

#48 bradp51

bradp51

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:45 AM

Howdy all,

Just caught up with this thread after a few months and a question came to mind, is anyone using the pre in the 95?... And if so, do you find the very first setting on volume control when listening to CD is actually very loud? :huh:

Not so much with BDs but very much so on CD playback.

Not sure if there is a mod or adjustment that can be made to attenuate down for the opening setting :unsure:

Just curious... ^_^

Hi Curious not sure what you mean by Pre ? Can you expand on that a little ? I am using analogue out for cd or hdmi and hdmi out for BD I think volume seems to be the same.

#49 Curious

Curious

AV Forum Member

• 2,526 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:07 PM

Hi Curious not sure what you mean by Pre ? Can you expand on that a little ? I am using analogue out for cd or hdmi and hdmi out for BD I think volume seems to be the same.

Hi Brad,

I should have been specific ^_^

I too am running analogue out to power amps for CD playback and BD, it seems that the very first volume setting on the remote is very loud with no way of reducing it without losing all volume (kind of like starting at 3/4 out of 10)

This is not as loud on BD playback as I usually have to set the remote volume at 35-45 for some decent volume.

Odd thing I know, just wondering if anyone knew of an adjustment that could be made in the menu or manually in the player?

Regards,

Curious

#50 bradp51

bradp51

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:04 PM

Hi Brad,

I should have been specific ^_^

I too am running analogue out to power amps for CD playback and BD, it seems that the very first volume setting on the remote is very loud with no way of reducing it without losing all volume (kind of like starting at 3/4 out of 10)

This is not as loud on BD playback as I usually have to set the remote volume at 35-45 for some decent volume.

Odd thing I know, just wondering if anyone knew of an adjustment that could be made in the menu or manually in the player?

Regards,

Curious

Hi Curious,
I am not having that issue with my setup. not sure what you mean by this " it seems that the very first volume setting on the remote is very loud with no way of reducing it without losing all volume (kind of like starting at 3/4 out of 10)

what avr do you have ?
cheers

Edited by bradp51, 25 August 2011 - 01:06 PM.