Photo

Seaton Aussie Gb Review Thread................

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#101 bradp51

bradp51

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 08:15 PM

There is no 12v trigger input on the SubM.

I use these http://www.jaycar.co...w.asp?ID=MS6140
Main speakers are set to one channel and the subs are set to another channel.

Yes, but I guess sometimes the GPO is easier to access.

Cheers

Thanks Macca that looks perfect and can probably be done by a universal remote
Haveto get a universal one day
Cheers

#102 jamiet

jamiet

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 09:12 PM

Woohoo!!!!
Just also sent my reply to Mark. Can't wait.

Still no word after we gave him all the details two days ago. I also asked Mark for an estimated day when they would ship yesterday so I could advise my manager ahead of time that I now have to stay home for the delivery (which I wouldn't have to do had the package shipped within 5 months of the original promised date) and received no reply.

#103 MACCA350

MACCA350

AV Forum Member

• 4,896 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:13 PM

Thanks Macca that looks perfect and can probably be done by a universal remote
Haveto get a universal one day
Cheers

Keep in mind it's an RF remote.

Cheers

#104 busky2k

busky2k

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 01:05 AM

Just got my first official Submersive "Door Knock" tonight whilst watching Tron: Legacy (a rather bass heavy film I might add). A rather irate neighbour asked me to turn it down. I was kind of laughing at the whole matter at first but now I realised I just cant watch anything at night with the SubM strutting its stuff anymore :(

#105 Cheesehead_001

Cheesehead_001

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:46 AM

Just got my first official Submersive "Door Knock" tonight whilst watching Tron: Legacy (a rather bass heavy film I might add). A rather irate neighbour asked me to turn it down. I was kind of laughing at the whole matter at first but now I realised I just cant watch anything at night with the SubM strutting its stuff anymore :(

Tron is "Door Knock" material without a submersive :lol:

#106 Johnny.Boy

Johnny.Boy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 04:27 PM

Tron is "Door Knock" material without a submersive :lol:

I really must go outside when i have tron cranking. Inside everything is shaking outside might only be slightly better....I do feel for people in my street :ninja:

#107 K1LL3M

K1LL3M

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 01:26 PM

.I do feel for people in my street :ninja:

Agreed.

Watched "Tomorrow when the war began" again last night, first time with the seatons, and the point where the truck explodes just layers bass waves over you, as the bridge comes down a slams into the ground, I could feel the shock wave running through it and the slam as it hit the ground. Its an impressive use of the LF channel, not just an "OK, this is a big bang bit, turn the LF dial up"

Edited by K1LL3M, 25 May 2011 - 01:27 PM.

#108 SimonNo10

SimonNo10

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,449 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:43 PM

Its an impressive use of the LF channel, not just an "OK, this is a big bang bit, turn the LF dial up"

Would't be necessary if the LF has been calibrated with the rest of the system. Turning subs up past what it's calibrated could cause driver damage or structural damage :o . I love bass as well but wouldn't just turn up the LF as in my system it doesn't require it, being calibrated with the rest of the system and I'm running 2 submersives much like yourself. No offence intended.

I'm keen to hear this now so thanks for the heads up.

Edited by SimonNo10, 25 May 2011 - 04:47 PM.

#109 K1LL3M

K1LL3M

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 05:26 PM

Would't be necessary if the LF has been calibrated with the rest of the system. Turning subs up past what it's calibrated could cause driver damage or structural damage :o . I love bass as well but wouldn't just turn up the LF as in my system it doesn't require it, being calibrated with the rest of the system and I'm running 2 submersives much like yourself. No offence intended.

I'm keen to hear this now so thanks for the heads up.

You misunderstood, I was "speaking" as a reference to the sound engineer mixing the movie.

Edited by K1LL3M, 25 May 2011 - 05:31 PM.

#110 cooksta

cooksta

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 05:55 PM

You Seaton Submersive owners might be interested in this Sub shootout thread on the AVS forum.

Somewhat impressive :lol:

#111 BladeRnR

BladeRnR

AV Forum Member

• 3,817 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:18 PM

You Seaton Submersive owners might be interested in this Sub shootout thread on the AVS forum.

Very cool Cooksta thanks mate.

Blade

Edited by BladeRnR, 26 May 2011 - 08:51 AM.

#112 SimonNo10

SimonNo10

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,449 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:42 PM

You misunderstood, I was "speaking" as a reference to the sound engineer mixing the movie.

No problem.

#113 K1LL3M

K1LL3M

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:02 PM

No problem.

:winky:

A nice read cooksta, reading about the Tron club scene actually reminds me of the club scene in "The Network" it bought back my own clubbing memories and I actually felt like I was in the club with them. Definitely a good scene to experience.

Edited by K1LL3M, 25 May 2011 - 09:30 PM.

#114 busky2k

busky2k

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:10 AM

Great thread. Funny I never noticed it. Seems to me the SubM is subjectively the best all round sub for music and HT!! The only question is, was the 1000W or the 2400W amplifier used in the test?

#115 buddhamus

buddhamus

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:26 AM

Wow, looks like the Submersive did absolutely awesome in that shootout against the JTR Captivator.

Glad I invested in these beasts....love to them death! lol. Now if only if those 2.4kw amps would come in 240v!...I'd be even more happy! lol :P

Thanks for posting Cooksta :)

#116 kc01

kc01

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:42 AM

Nice thread. This is the first time I heard about JTR Captivator. Quick search revealed that the optional 4kW sub is USD3k. Wonder they come in a 240V version?
http://jtrspeakers.c...dio/captivator/

#117 BladeRnR

BladeRnR

AV Forum Member

• 3,817 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:59 AM

Great thread. Funny I never noticed it. Seems to me the SubM is subjectively the best all round sub for music and HT!! The only question is, was the 1000W or the 2400W amplifier used in the test?

Second post by Luke Kamp (who bought along the HSU VTF-15H) said (To paraphrase):

Seaton Submersive

I had a short listening session to one a few years ago, but nothing there to compare it with. Jeff brought and installed the latest HP amp.

I was wondering that myself. So the 2400Watt Amplifier was used (HP Amp).

Cheers

Blade

Edited by BladeRnR, 26 May 2011 - 09:00 AM.

#118 Drizt

Drizt

AV Forum Member

• 5,930 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:20 AM

Now if only if those 2.4kw amps would come in 240v!...I'd be even more happy! lol :P

Are you guys clipping the 1kW amps in your submersives? If not, you won't actually get any extra performance out of the more powerful amp. Well, other than knowing you have 3dB more headroom I guess.

#119 buddhamus

buddhamus

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:44 AM

Are you guys clipping the 1kW amps in your submersives? If not, you won't actually get any extra performance out of the more powerful amp. Well, other than knowing you have 3dB more headroom I guess.

Nah I haven't clipped my SM's yet....but Id like the extra headroom there once I build my own HT room in the future.

#120 SimonNo10

SimonNo10

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,449 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:02 PM

Are you guys clipping the 1kW amps in your submersives?

I haven't seen the amber light (not clipping but close) on either of the subs as yet. I'm not running them hot at all and the output is awesome. I too will get the new HP amps when they are released in 240v just to know that I have that extra headroom if I ever change house's and have a bigger room.

#121 bradp51

bradp51

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:21 PM

No and I do not see it happening anytime soon.

#122 K1LL3M

K1LL3M

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:48 PM

No and I do not see it happening anytime soon.

Same here.

I would imagine that at calibrated levels the sub wouldn't clip. I wonder if the improvement of the 2.4k amp, as noted my many, is more to do with added control the extra power brings, ie it can respond, push it harder and faster, stop it and pull it back quicker.

Just a thought

#123 BladeRnR

BladeRnR

AV Forum Member

• 3,817 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:14 AM

Same here.

I would imagine that at calibrated levels the sub wouldn't clip. I wonder if the improvement of the 2.4k amp, as noted my many, is more to do with added control the extra power brings, ie it can respond, push it harder and faster, stop it and pull it back quicker.

Just a thought

Part of Mark's original HP Amplifier Upgrade Post:

The new US sourced amplifier is quite the beast, and effectively eliminates any hard amplifier clipping under any condition I've found thus far. Obviously there are limits past which it won't get any louder, but those are higher than the original SubMersive and it is even more graceful when it does reach that limit. Where the most benefit is realized is below 16-20Hz, but there is benefit across the board. The new amplifier does not make one SubMersive HP equal to a pair of originals, but it does make it better.

Addition/update:

With the added robustness and tolerance to over-driving in the new amplifier, I have also put the second DSP program to use. This relates to the PGM SEL, two position switch. While I still recommend the depressed (IN) program for most, I decided to use the extended (OUT) position of the switch to shift the roll off deeper to better match larger rooms or those who listen at lower levels wanting more lift to the bottom end. The response below 15Hz is parallel, but higher in level to the original response, with the +/-3dB window shifting down to 15Hz vs. the 19Hz of the original. Posted Image

Blade

#124 busky2k

busky2k

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:23 AM

Definitely had mine clip when strong LFE hits. I was surprised how easy it was clipping but my room is oddly shaped and thus near field placement works best which means little room augmentation - so any sub would be working hard when digging deep. Also its not difficult to get it clipping with test tones either. There's definitely more excursion to be had. If the HP amp was available, I'd be first in line!

#125 SimonNo10

SimonNo10

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,449 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:54 PM

Ok you bass nuts. I had the pleasure of purchasing IP Man 1 2nd hand from a fellow forum member. This movie has some serious LF in it and will test your subversives. Think Tron Legacy but martial arts. This totally caught me off guard and wasn't expecting such a robust audio track. It's demo worthy all the way with a large sound presence and excellent use of surrounds. But it's the fights that have really tight controlled bass that will have you going "Holy Crap" especially the first fight by the out of towner and the first master. There's a bit where the master lands on the ground and it literally shook my entire house. Overkill for sure but makes me happy I have 2 subversives and any owner of this sub will love this BD ( not limited to just submersives owners of course). Has many scenes for you to demo your entire HT but the bass is the highlight. So if you want to show of your subs this movie is a great choice.

Excellent movie as well.