• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#176 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,634 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

Austar customers getting rorted.

I'd be very interested why this price difference exists. Its can't be "Lets make Austar customers pay more". I'd have considered Foxtel might be subsidising the fight but then there's Optus too? Seems very poor marketing to make the price hike so blatant, unless they're assuming few Austar customers anyway and it just makes the other carriers look 'cheap' at $30 for a very fake or very real fight.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#177 oxblood8

oxblood8

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:33 PM

Just wondered peoples thoughts on this scenario. I have been an Austar subscriber for over 10 years now and last year I called up and got a better deal. Its about to expire and I have been told by a bloke over on whirlpool that they are not doing deals any more, either pay full price or disconnect. I haven't had time as yet to call up and speak to a CSR.

But if that's the case, I might look at disconnecting and re-signing up with Foxtel in the hope that I would get one of their IQ boxes instead of the rubbish MyStarHD box I currently have.

Thoughts?

#178 Robbks

Robbks

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:41 PM

it's only a month away.
I'm just going to sit and wait to see what becomes of it.

do you have access yo both services in your area?

#179 oxblood8

oxblood8

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:07 PM

it's only a month away.
I'm just going to sit and wait to see what becomes of it.

do you have access yo both services in your area?

How can I tell whether I will have access to both? Only have access to Austar at the minute.

#180 digitalj

digitalj

AV Forum Member

• 12,945 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:05 AM

A porky that an Austar CSR told me recently in a local shopping centre is that the IQ2 and the Mystar HD are identical!!!

#181 Andyt32

Andyt32

AV Forum Member

• 31 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:03 PM

A porky that an Austar CSR told me recently in a local shopping centre is that the IQ2 and the Mystar HD are identical!!!

the only difference is the shapes of the buttons and the layout the select, up and down left and right is on opposite side

#182 digitalj

digitalj

AV Forum Member

• 12,945 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:08 AM

the only difference is the shapes of the buttons and the layout the select, up and down left and right is on opposite side

no, they are not the only differences.

the Mystar HD has 2 DVB-S2 tuners and 2 DVB-T tuners, while the IQ2 has 4? DVB-S2 tuners and no DVB-T tuners.

#183 killer1500

killer1500

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:10 PM

Theres also two different brands.....Thompson make Mystar's (theres even a Thompson logo on the back), Foxtel use set top boxes made by Pace.

#184 hidefdave

hidefdave

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:33 AM

Hi guys,

AUSTAR have issued a press release today which I have posted in the swap over thread.

http://www.dtvforum....dpost&p=1808236

Cheers,

D.

Edited by hidefdave, 24 May 2012 - 10:34 AM.

#185 BamBBBam

BamBBBam

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:54 PM

More here
http://www.campaignb...ite-to-del.html

"From July 1, there will be an improved channel line-up for all subscribers.

Discovery Channel, National Geographic Channel, Nat Geo Wild and MTV Live will be available to AUSTAR subscribers in high definition (HD) for the first time. Eurosportnews is moving into Starter Pack and MTV Hits and MTV Live will be added to the Fun Option.

FOXTEL customers will receive two new 24 hour English language news channels, Al Jazeera and CCTV News. W and TCM will also move to the FOXTEL Get Started package."

#186 killer1500

killer1500

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:05 PM

We should get them June not July, oh well only good things to come for Austar customers, its nice that Foxtel customers get some new channels too.74

No suprise theres no plans for Mystar customers for Iq's, Im happy with my Mystar though anyway, I wonder when the Foxtel logo will show up on the box

#187 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,634 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:10 AM

There's no reason that what ever Austar broadcast won't now be broadcast on Foxtel...

You should take a reality check. Foxtel will never broadcast Al Jazeera or CCTV on their platform until those networks cough up the cost of being re-transmitted on their cable network and pay the STB access fees. They're not interested and I don't see them changing their mind and suddenly handing over large sums of money to Foxtel.

Reality check completed :)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#188 DrP

DrP

AV Forum Member

• 16,740 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:26 AM

Completed, but without knowledge. Perhaps they did decide to stump up the cash to appear.

#189 davmel

davmel

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:39 AM

Completed, but without knowledge. Perhaps they did decide to stump up the cash to appear.

Not a chance. Foxtel must be willing to waive the fees to minimise any impact from the merger and stop the hordes of Austar customers complaining if Foxtel screwed them. This way it's a win-win for both Austar and Foxtel customers. It was possibly a requirement in the negotiations with the ACCC that Austar customers aren't any worse off post-merger.
Foxtel is only trying to appear as the nice guy only so long as they can get the merger completed and start saving $$$ which is the real reason they ever do anything.

#190 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,634 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:31 PM

Aw common. Just about everything I say is incorrect. Be nice to let me have just this one...

Not a chance.

I would have thought you'd have shied away from using such definitive language so soon :)

start saving $$$ which is the real reason they ever do anything.

Perhaps (its why most companies ever do anything), but from a superficial point of view the mergers outcome has been about as good as any Austar or Foxtel customer could expect. Initial savings should come from increased bargaining power for Foxtel (more viewers). But then much of Austar functionality is duplicated by Foxtel so there's lots of easy cost savings to be made streamlining the organisations. FWIW I'd imagine the relatively small cost of broadcasting these few channels is worth it to be able to create a single 'product'.

No doubt down the track Foxtel might again look to screw its customers for a few more $, but it looks like by then they will all be Foxtel customers and screwed equally.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#191 Robbks

Robbks

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:51 PM

Can anyone here (who knows someone inside maybe) answer a straight question.

How will Austar customers be able to access the Foxtel Packages and Hardware?

Here was the answer from Tom on their Facebook page.
i Asked if i could cancel and re-connect with Foxtel
Hi, if you cancel and reconnect your service, you will continue to receive your current packages, pricing and set top box. ~Tom.

#192 davmel

davmel

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:09 PM

Can anyone here (who knows someone inside maybe) answer a straight question.

How will Austar customers be able to access the Foxtel Packages and Hardware?

Here was the answer from Tom on their Facebook page.
i Asked if i could cancel and re-connect with Foxtel
Hi, if you cancel and reconnect your service, you will continue to receive your current packages, pricing and set top box. ~Tom.

Just the usual BS from CS reps that have been told to say anything to stop people swapping over before they are ready to handle the volume of transfers.
The press release yesterday clearly stated that existing customers will still deal with their usual contacts and their phone numbers even after July 1. But new potential Foxtel customers that are in existing Austar areas are to call a different number to arrange a connection with Foxtel.
Call their bluff and cancel your Austar service then after July 1 call the new number for new customers to connect with Foxtel. Now depending on how close you are to the border area with Foxtel you could get an installer from a Foxtel area to come over and install Foxtel hardware. Until Austar installers are trained with how to install Foxtel STB's and their depot is stocked with Foxtel STB's they won't be able to install Foxtel hardware. If you're no where near a Foxtel service area then forget about the idea of having Foxtel hardware as your local depot won't have stock and the installer just won't know how to do it.

#193 nbound

nbound

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:30 PM

and the installer just won't know how to do it.

I agree with the rest, but Im sure most fo them could handle a different box :P

Edited by nbound, 25 May 2012 - 06:31 PM.

#194 duke

duke

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:31 PM

Will we be getting Box Office on demand in HD?

#195 davmel

davmel

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:43 PM

I agree with the rest, but Im sure most fo them could handle a different box :P

Yeah, a different box with a completely different user interface that you need to demonstrate to subscribers before you leave, and a different box that needs to be connected to ethernet via direct cable, EoP adapters or wireless, or a phone connection needs to be installed. Austar installers don't need to do any of that now. They've never been trained. Do they even have the appropriate cabling license to connect a new phone line socket? Also Austar installers aren't familiar with the administration differences of Foxtel in how they must fill out their forms and submit them with their own codes.
In terms of installation and training they have existed as two completely different companies now with their own unique procedures and policies. It's not just being able to "handle a different box"!

#196 davmel

davmel

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:49 PM

Will we be getting Box Office on demand in HD?

Not sure if you mean access to the on demand content downloaded via sat or the on demand content you can download via the internet through the Ethernet port. Either way it will need totally revised software to be developed. If Austar couldn't get it working after many years then Foxtel also won't bother until they replace the MyStar's with IQ models.

#197 nbound

nbound

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:53 PM

Yeah, a different box with a completely different user interface that you need to demonstrate to subscribers before you leave, and a different box that needs to be connected to ethernet via direct cable, EoP adapters or wireless, or a phone connection needs to be installed. Austar installers don't need to do any of that now. They've never been trained. Do they even have the appropriate cabling license to connect a new phone line socket?

The few Foxtel boxes Ive seen (Canberra is the only Fox area near me) didnt have any of that (but were pre-IQ), so my mistake. Wont take em long to get cablers licenses though :)

#198 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,634 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:19 PM

Just the usual BS from CS reps that have been told to say anything to stop people swapping over before they are ready to handle the volume of transfers.

That implies you can 'swap'. Currently there are two discrete technological areas now covered by the one company. As a huge plus both technological areas get a few bonus channels and everything else is business as usual (can you imagine the outcry if Foxtel announced they were going to swap all Austar boxes over the next few weeks?). So for existing customers its all upside with no effort required on their side. New customers, well they're new and they'll be part of the transition. As training and resources roll out the 'Foxtel' tech area will slowly expand, however if you're in Austar 'territory' you'll continue to get Austar boxes. Doesn't seem all that nefarious to me, just practical.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#199 BamBBBam

BamBBBam

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:12 PM

(can you imagine the outcry if Foxtel announced they were going to swap all Austar boxes over the next few weeks?).

We're still stuck with the fundamental problem that Austar customers are going to be furious about losing their local FTA (without switching back thru AV)

#200 nbound

nbound

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:19 PM

and FTA PVR capabilities.