Austar Maybe Taken Over By Foxtel!

• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#1 laurie

laurie

AV Forum Member

• 6,435 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:18 AM

Regional pay-television company Austar United Communications Ltd has again attracted the attention of pay-TV company Foxtel, with billionaire James Packer and Foxtel chief Kim Williams behind the push, according to a report in The Australian.

Austar's majority-owner, the US-based pay-TV and broadband company Liberty Global, last year said a tie-up with Foxtel made good strategic sense, but Foxtel's "relatively convoluted" ownership structure muddied the waters.

Foxtel is half-owned by Telstra Corporation Ltd, while News Corporation and the Packer-backed Consolidated Media Holdings Ltd each hold a 25 per cent stake.

According to The Australian, all three Foxtel shareholders are open to an Austar deal, and preliminary talks are underway.

Austar made news yesterday for selling its wireless spectrum to NBN Co, the company behind the broadband network.

http://www.businesss...f...ent&src=hp5

cheers laurie

#2 OzyDave

OzyDave

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:25 AM

http://www.businesss...f...ent&src=hp5

cheers laurie

Well, there is no problems in that with me. Austar already operate as a monopoly anyway.

#3 ozbrit

ozbrit

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 05:57 PM

Well, there is no problems in that with me. Austar already operate as a monopoly anyway.

Bring it on!

#4 nutmeg1

nutmeg1

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:31 PM

Will still have poor equipment just new owners as just the owners names running the business would change.Mind you
then we maybe heard if we decided to quit. ^_^

#5 BamBBBam

BamBBBam

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:40 PM

Does that mean Foxtel viewers will get Al Jazeera or CCTV?

#6 davmel

davmel

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:25 PM

Does that mean Foxtel viewers will get Al Jazeera or CCTV?

Nope. Neither of those two channel owners are prepared to pay for cable network access leasing so Foxtel won't allow them to broadcast on the platform. You'd have to get a 3rd party FTA sat receiver to view Al Jazeera if Foxtel took over.

#7 davidhes

davidhes

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:22 PM

I'm currently watching speedhd in an austar area ;-) and loving it!

#8 SLE355

SLE355

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:13 PM

Join the club! :D

#9 davidhes

davidhes

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:10 PM

It's great :-D

#10 fat

fat

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:58 PM

Please explain \end Pauline Hanson voice

#11 davidhes

davidhes

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:45 PM

I will send you a pm. Anyone else send me a pm.

#12 laurie

laurie

AV Forum Member

• 6,435 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:51 AM

Pay-TV operator Foxtel has talked to rival Austar's main shareholder, Liberty Global, about a potential takeover offer, Austar said after a newspaper reported Foxtel's owners had dropped their opposition to a bid.

"Austar understands that verbal discussions have taken place between Foxtel and Liberty in relation to a possible acquisition of Austar," it said in a statement to the Australian Securities Exchange.

Shares in Austar soared on the news, rising 24.77 per cent to $1.41 at 1025 AEDT, against a 0.7 per cent fall in the benchmark index.

The statement followed earlier reports in Fairfax newspapers that Foxtel's owners including News Corporation and Telstra had agreed in principle to back a $2 billion bid for Austar.

The Australian Financial Review , citing unnamed sources, said there was still no firm offer on the table, but the owners had dropped their previous reservations over such a takeover.

The newspaper said Telstra, which owns 50 per cent of Foxtel, and Rupert Murdoch's News Corp, which owns 25 per cent, had dropped their opposition to Foxtel taking on debt to buy Austar.

The other major shareholder in Foxtel, Australia's top pay-TV firm, is Consolidated Media Holdings, largely owned by media moguls James Packer and Kerry Stokes. Stokes' interest in Consolidated Media is through his Seven Group.

"The three owners have agreed in principle, but there is no firm approval for a firm bid by Foxtel," the newspaper said.

Details on the shape of a bid have yet to be worked out.

Austar's largest shareholder is US-based Liberty Global which indicated it would be open to a bid, the newspaper said.

The AFR said Foxtel's three major shareholders were now interested in Austar, attracted by a potential $70 million in cost savings. Such a deal would also help defend Foxtel against new competition from free-to-air digital TV channels and Internet TV, the paper said.

Talk of Foxtel lining up a bid for Austar adds to a shake-up in the sector, after West Australian Newspaper Holdings' bid for Seven Media Group, Southern Cross Media's $741 million bid for radio group Austereo, and Lachlan Murdoch's and James Packer's move to take control of Ten Network.

link to story http://www.businesss...f...ent&src=hp4

cheers laurie

#13 ozbrit

ozbrit

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 04:45 PM

link to story http://www.businesss...f...ent&src=hp4

cheers laurie

Well, let's hope it actually happens this time. It's a story that's been emerging and re-emerging since 2005. Certainly Austar have been operating on a minimal investment/maximum return manner for years, presumably to improve their balance sheet when seeking a Buyer at a premium price.

Kim Williams Foxtels CEO on the Business Channel wouldn't talk about it, stating it was company policy to never divulge to the media any info of this nature. I suppose the fact he didn't deny it, may actually have said something. Why would Foxtel confirm negotiations are on-going? To do so could only serve to drive up Austar's share price/value.

Edited by ozbrit, 03 March 2011 - 08:58 AM.

#14 aaaaplay

aaaaplay

AV Forum Member

• 37 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:15 PM

If Foxtel did take over we'd probably see the changes come slowly probably the first major change we would see is Foxtel on xbox and t-box become available to regional areas then eventually rebranding to foxtel.
Its a win for the consumer but for the installers not so good because Foxtel pay bad.

#15 speedfreek

speedfreek

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 02:50 PM

Just so long that we don't get with the horribly arranged Foxtel plans, i'll be happy.

#16 ozbrit

ozbrit

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:53 AM

Just so long that we don't get with the horribly arranged Foxtel plans, i'll be happy.

I've just compared the package we have with Austar to a similar Foxtel item. We pay $96.75 for the main sports package & HD. With the Foxtel Sports HD package for $100 we get all what we have now plus - Showtime premier, Showcase, Showtime action, Movie one, Starpics ,more HD content, Animal Planet.

Sounds like a whole lot more to me and for only the cost of a couple of bananas :o)

Edited by ozbrit, 20 March 2011 - 08:56 AM.

#17 aeon

aeon

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:12 AM

For those interested, saw this news article today:

http://www.smh.com.a...0401-1crkq.html

#18 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forum Member

• 2,839 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:14 AM

Update.

#19 ozbrit

ozbrit

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:19 AM

Update.

Bring it on!

#20 vallatv

vallatv

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:40 AM

Sooner the better, but for me half the problems are the channels themselves which means nothing will change.

#21 Skid_MacMarx

Skid_MacMarx

AV Forum Member

• 8,928 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:28 PM

paytv = Fox tv?
sorry I haven't kept up with all things subscription, did Fox swallow Optus?
My bugbear with the whole scheme is you must lock yourself into packages.. you should be able to purchase individual channels.. that way, those channels are kept on their toes to offer quality programming.
I'm not that much into sport .. so commercial free telecasts have no interest.. although I must say if i'm paying to watch those channels .. I shouldn't have to watch ads.
I can see why people subscribe with the amount of ads on FTA.. the number of ads on FTA has made it unwatchable.
Furthermore, there is the internet..download content when you want.
As I said before, for those not into sport, I can't see the current model as value for money.

Austar receives $2b takeover bid from Foxtel

Pay TV provider Austar says it has received a takeover offer from rival Foxtel, valuing the company at close to $2 billion.

The offer of $1.52 per share represents 20 per cent more than yesterday's closing price of $1.27.

Foxtel made the bid after receiving approval from its biggest shareholder, US cable TV group Liberty Global.

The bid is subject to approval from the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission and the Foreign Investment Review Board.

http://www.abc.net.a.../26/3227666.htm

#22 grb

grb

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:39 PM

http://www.abc.net.a.../26/3227666.htm

more details here:

http://www.bloomberg...tor-austar.html

#23 Basil

Basil

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:42 AM

I haven't been following this closely but if it gets approved i think we will see Optus also allowed into the "bush".

#24 unclewhimsy

unclewhimsy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:53 AM

I for one am eager to see what this acquisition brings to my household. I have been lobbying to get Foxtel where I am for years, but have JUST recently been told I am in an Austar area. My father in law got Foxtel about 8 years ago and he lives next door. We are both on a farm just outside Canberra, which to both pay tv moguls was until recently a 'grey' area. None of them wanted to 'step-up' and claim our business!!??

I am interested in the Foxtel equipment (IQHD etc) so I don't want to subscribe to Austar.

I am hoping that this deal has a positive effect on me getting Foxtel coverage/equipment now?? What do you think my chances are??

David.

#25 wheelz

wheelz

AV Forum Member

• 4,322 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:22 PM

I've just compared the package we have with Austar to a similar Foxtel item. We pay $96.75 for the main sports package & HD. With the Foxtel Sports HD package for $100 we get all what we have now plus - Showtime premier, Showcase, Showtime action, Movie one, Starpics ,more HD content, Animal Planet.

Sounds like a whole lot more to me and for only the cost of a couple of bananas :o)

The fox sports HD package does not include any showtime/starpic movie channels they are extra.