• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Pierced Soul

Pierced Soul

AV Forum Member

• 7 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:18 AM

If this is the wrong forum feel free to move it

Moved into a new place about 2 months ago. 3 tv outlets (lounge, computer room and behind bookcase). Never used the one behind the bookcase, The comp room one works with a booster, but the lounge won't work.

the fact the comp room one works suggests the aerial itself is fine so the problem I imagine is the cable running from the splitter box in the roof to the lounge. the cable itself seems to be nailed/tied down in the roof cavity which makes it very difficult to remove, my fear is if i pull it out i'll have hell of a time trying to get a new one down (unless i attach a new one to the old one and drag it up that way, hoping there's enough space to pull them both up through the floor).

I bought a Crest indoor digital aerial with booster (or something like that -it was the $35 model) and plugged it in. the only channel i can get is SBS which is quite clear but everything else is massively snowed out and distorted and for the most part in black and white.

A couple of q's,
1/ should i try and drag a new cable up from the lounge into the roof to see if its a cable problem or is it sounding fiddly enough to get someone in properly? To get to where we *think* the cable is nailed down we have to lie over insulation and hope i dont fall through the floor - plus there's no guarantee the cable is nailed down in that particular location

2/ does the fact the digital indoor aerial not work indicate problems in the geographical location i'm in (Glen Alpine, NSW), the cheapness of the indoor aerial or something else?

#2 wilsr

wilsr

AV Forum Member

• 3 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:24 AM

If this is the wrong forum feel free to move it

Moved into a new place about 2 months ago. 3 tv outlets (lounge, computer room and behind bookcase). Never used the one behind the bookcase, The comp room one works with a booster, but the lounge won't work.

the fact the comp room one works suggests the aerial itself is fine so the problem I imagine is the cable running from the splitter box in the roof to the lounge. the cable itself seems to be nailed/tied down in the roof cavity which makes it very difficult to remove, my fear is if i pull it out i'll have hell of a time trying to get a new one down (unless i attach a new one to the old one and drag it up that way, hoping there's enough space to pull them both up through the floor).

I bought a Crest indoor digital aerial with booster (or something like that -it was the $35 model) and plugged it in. the only channel i can get is SBS which is quite clear but everything else is massively snowed out and distorted and for the most part in black and white.

A couple of q's,
1/ should i try and drag a new cable up from the lounge into the roof to see if its a cable problem or is it sounding fiddly enough to get someone in properly? To get to where we *think* the cable is nailed down we have to lie over insulation and hope i dont fall through the floor - plus there's no guarantee the cable is nailed down in that particular location

2/ does the fact the digital indoor aerial not work indicate problems in the geographical location i'm in (Glen Alpine, NSW), the cheapness of the indoor aerial or something else?

Perhaps someone in the past has disconnected the socket? Have you pulled it?

Why not get in the loft and join the inner and outer conductors then check at the socket you've a low resistance connection? that would see if there's an open circuit without going too deeply into it!

#3 Pierced Soul

Pierced Soul

AV Forum Member

• 7 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:36 AM

Perhaps someone in the past has disconnected the socket? Have you pulled it?

Why not get in the loft and join the inner and outer conductors then check at the socket you've a low resistance connection? that would see if there's an open circuit without going too deeply into it!

i have tried to pull on it and it seems fastened to something (have pulled from both downstairs and upstairs and the thing doesnt want to budge.

what do you use to check the connection (as you can tell i have no idea about these things but my dad probably has the tools and could figure it out with the right direction)

#4 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,648 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:35 AM

Pierced Soul,
If the computer room outlet works with a booster, ensure that the booster is supplied with power, if the other outlets are not boosted with the same amplifer then the original design is wrong.

As for indoor antennas you are a considerable distance from the Artarmon/Willoughby/Gore Hill transmission site making it unlikely that an indoor antenna will give reliable reception.

Read the first post in this strand Get the best reception - Sydney I would suggest that you use one of the recommended antennas in the H34 link and possibly a Kingray MDA20H masthead distribution amplifier to feed the 3 outlets.

Please post any further posts in the Sydney Viewers' Forum.

AlanH

#5 DzR

DzR

AV Forum Member

• 10 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:13 AM

Hi,

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but im having a recpetion issue, and cant post a new post (prob missed something, sorry)

I have an old set top box, soniq that works fine, picks up everything, however I just purchased a new one as the old soniq's remote range is crap, however when I try and search channels. I cannot find any 10 or One channels.

No Standard def high def, I plug the old one in and it works fine, signal is 84-87%, We are in a new rental house in Mount Annan, NSW. and the antenna person came last week and and got everything working (splitter issue). The old box works fine for all channels, but the new one, ive rescanned, manual scanned, reset. Nothing changes.

I have 2 arial plugs front and back lounge room, we only ever use the back, so the antenna person put a booster in the front room, not sure why. Anyway wondering if anyone can help.

the new box is a, Digitel HD3300 - http://crazystu.com....r-p-324734.html

I got this as I wanted USB input, thanks in advance

#6 DzR

DzR

AV Forum Member

• 10 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:15 PM

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas.

Im buying RG6 cables, but not sure if that will help. But 87% signal should be enough shouldnt it

#7 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forum Member

• 2,832 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:32 PM

so the antenna person put a booster in the front room

Can you look at this booster device, and post any manufacturer's name or type numbers that are on it?

It is not possible to create a thread here, until you have made 5 posts.

#8 andrewlace

andrewlace

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:38 PM

RG6Q cables will likely only make a difference if your existing leads are really long and dodgy or faulty. As for a booster in the front room, that is probably the power supply for the amplifier (on the roof). Some settop boxes cannot cope with higher signal levels it is possible that the amplifier is putting out more signal than your settop box can cope with. This usually involves fitting either a drop tap or an attenuator.

Can you look at this booster device, and post any manufacturer's name or type numbers that are on it?

It is not possible to create a thread here, until you have made 5 posts.

#9 DzR

DzR

AV Forum Member

• 10 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:43 PM

RG6Q cables will likely only make a difference if your existing leads are really long and dodgy or faulty. As for a booster in the front room, that is probably the power supply for the amplifier (on the roof). Some settop boxes cannot cope with higher signal levels it is possible that the amplifier is putting out more signal than your settop box can cope with. This usually involves fitting either a drop tap or an attenuator.

I will check the booster when i get home today about 2 hours, it was only just fitted by the antenna person the day we moved in.

I have the cables from DSE, so will test those and take back if needed, just annoying the old crappy box works great, new one wont get any 10 or one, not even SD.

Im using a 14 metre and a 8 metre atm, just generic brands from kmart and JB hifi

#10 andrewlace

andrewlace

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:01 PM

If the old box works fine, same cables, etc, I'd put two suggestions to you:
1. you have too much signal
2. the new box cannot cope (see option one as this is likely part of option two). Did the installer check that the new box was working when he left the job?

I will check the booster when i get home today about 2 hours, it was only just fitted by the antenna person the day we moved in.

I have the cables from DSE, so will test those and take back if needed, just annoying the old crappy box works great, new one wont get any 10 or one, not even SD.

Im using a 14 metre and a 8 metre atm, just generic brands from kmart and JB hifi

#11 DzR

DzR

AV Forum Member

• 10 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:45 PM

Ok, a few new things

Ive tried the new channels cannot get ten or one, for a while I couldnt get anything, So ive plugged everything back in the way I had it with the old set top box and had to rescan after poweroff, and not I dont get any 10, 10HD or One channels, I do get wollongong 10 and one though.

So it appears after re-scanning i dont get channel 10 HD, even though it was there last night, but it had not been re-scanned since the antenna guy set it up, the Landlord had a contractor for Jims Antenna's do it, so not sure how good/bad they are.

Ive also plugged everything into the front lounge room, and get the same channels as in the back, no 10 or one

Also the booster I have installed in the front room is a Kingway - Power Injector - www.gme.net.au.

This is so frustrating, as It was working last night on the old box before a rescan. The Arial looks pretty high and pointing the same way as the others.

Edited by DzR, 01 August 2011 - 06:53 PM.

#12 Tazzy2Heads

Tazzy2Heads

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:25 PM

Ok, a few new things

Ive tried the new channels cannot get ten or one, for a while I couldnt get anything, So ive plugged everything back in the way I had it with the old set top box and had to rescan after poweroff, and not I dont get any 10, 10HD or One channels, I do get wollongong 10 and one though.

So it appears after re-scanning i dont get channel 10 HD, even though it was there last night, but it had not been re-scanned since the antenna guy set it up, the Landlord had a contractor for Jims Antenna's do it, so not sure how good/bad they are.

Ive also plugged everything into the front lounge room, and get the same channels as in the back, no 10 or one

Also the booster I have installed in the front room is a Kingway - Power Injector - www.gme.net.au.

This is so frustrating, as It was working last night on the old box before a rescan. The Arial looks pretty high and pointing the same way as the others.

Hi DzR,
If your antenna is a high gain UHF pointing in the right direction to the Wollongong main transmitters and you say you can get Wollongong CH10 , 11, ONE HD you should get all the networks from Wollongong I would have thought , all UHF if everything is ok with the antenna system . It sounds like you should get the Landlord to get it checked out and fixed by JIM'S ANTENNAS after all that is what he paid for. By the way do you get any Anologue tv from Wollongong now , if you do is it clear or snowy?
TAzzy.

#13 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:42 PM

Mount Annan area is quite varied with reception.

I've had success with log periodic antennas in some parts but others with high-gain yagis, so you just can't assume one particular model of antenna will perform well in all areas.
Franchise installers often only use a particular few antennas for all installations, regardless of the location.
I regularly see a poor choice of antenna which has been installed by a franchise antenna installer, or mounted where it is quick and simple for them.... not where it will perform as well as it possibly could have.

I suspect your signals, particularly network TEN, are marginal.... work OK some of the time and not others.

Some digital tuners cope better with marginal signals than others.

The critical factor is signal quality, not signal strength.

An amp will boost the signal strength (and noise) but will generally not increase signal quality, so you must ensure there is sufficient signal quality captured by the antenna, otherwise amplification will not help.

The power injector is just that... it sends power up the coax, through the splitter to the amp itself, which is probably mounted on the mast under the antenna... is there a grey box up there?

Jims Antennas?...... it's luck of the draw, as with other franchise antenna installers. Some are good, many should stick to mowing lawns.

You need to have the installer return and rectify the problem/s.

Did the installer perform a full site survey, testing different antennas at different locations and heights on your roof?

#14 DzR

DzR

AV Forum Member

• 10 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:44 PM

Hi DzR,
If your antenna is a high gain UHF pointing in the right direction to the Wollongong main transmitters and you say you can get Wollongong CH10 , 11, ONE HD you should get all the networks from Wollongong I would have thought , all UHF if everything is ok with the antenna system . It sounds like you should get the Landlord to get it checked out and fixed by JIM'S ANTENNAS after all that is what he paid for. By the way do you get any Anologue tv from Wollongong now , if you do is it clear or snowy?
TAzzy.

I only get SD channels from Wollongong I think which are great quality, as for the old box ive done 3 more scans and its now getting 10 Digital with 88% signal, and Standard One but not HD

sigh, this is frustrating.

Does anyone have a list of all channels I should be able to get? thanks heaps for all the help so far.

#15 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:11 PM

I only get SD channels from Wollongong I think which are great quality, as for the old box ive done 3 more scans and its now getting 10 Digital with 88% signal, and Standard One but not HD

Does anyone have a list of all channels I should be able to get? thanks heaps for all the help so far.

If you have an HD tuner and can get SD channels, there should be no reason why you can't get the HD channels.

You should get ABC1,2,3,(24 HD) SBS1,2,3,4,HD 7, 7two, (7mate HD) 9, Go, (Gem HD) TEN, 11, (One HD) (and Channel 31 digital... only if you have a UHF antenna pointed to Sydney)

If you only have one UHF antenna and that's pointing to Wollongong (Knights Hill) you should get the affiliate networks channels, the same as above. (eg: Prime, WIN, SC TEN, ABC, SBS).

#16 Tazzy2Heads

Tazzy2Heads

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:12 PM

DrZ It sounds like one STB is SD only and the other is HD. Tazzy.

#17 DzR

DzR

AV Forum Member

• 10 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:47 AM

No probs getting syd and wgong reception from mt annan and surrounding areas here!
As mentioned franchise installers are very hit or miss-it takes a up front investment and very little knowledge/experience to work under a franchise banner.

Both boxes are HD as they pick up 7 Digital fine.

Hmm Im in the new part of Mt Anna, right on a hill so it should be ok reception. I seem to be getting 2 One channels, but not in HD. One one box though I dont get 10 or One.

Landlord is calling Jims Antenna's today, so annoying

#18 DzR

DzR

AV Forum Member

• 10 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:10 AM

Both boxes are HD as they pick up 7 Digital fine.

Hmm Im in the new part of Mt Anna, right on a hill so it should be ok reception. I seem to be getting 2 One channels, but not in HD. One one box though I dont get 10 or One.

Landlord is calling Jims Antenna's today, so annoying

Basically Jims came today, I wasnt home only wife was.

He said its a Wollongong Antenna, and 10 and one relay thru wollongong, but I only get 10 wollongong non 10 digital on 1 of them

sigh, not my choice anymore, all landlord

#19 DzR

DzR

AV Forum Member

• 10 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:32 AM

He said its a Wollongong Antenna, and 10 and one relay thru wollongong, but I only get 10 wollongong non 10 digital on 1 of them

ok,

my wife called and he came back again, and replaced the wall booster, so he said

channel 5 is 10 digital and 50 is onehd, but because we get them from gong it different names'

#20 Tazzy2Heads

Tazzy2Heads

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:56 AM

Hi DzR,
I the am having trouble getting my head around why you can't get the HD signals from Wollongong when you say you can get the five NETWORKS signals in SD when the HD and SD are in the same signal , it is the tuner in the STBOX that governs what you can watch and you say both boxes are definately HD.
Have you tried a full FACTORY DEFAULT RESET VIA MENU including unplugging them from the 240V and replugging to clear the existing channel settings , some boxes don't clear the stored channels with a normal rescan just add them again to the existing list, a bit of a long shot I must admit. If the MASTHEAD AMPLIFIER is a WIDEBAND one that is VHF and UHF and the antenna is connected to the combination VHF/UHF INPUT if you are in an area where VHF is strong enough the antenna may be picking up enough VHF even though the UHF antenna is pointing to Wollongong.
If all the networks are available in Digital from Wollongong and there is only a UHF antenna on the mast a "quick and dirty " way of tuning is pull out the antenna and put the box into autoscan and put the antenna back in after the VHF band or CHANNEL 12 is finished then you should only be tuning to signals in the UHF band , or do a manual tune to the required channels. Someone on the FORUM will know the correct channels or it will be on the net for sure.
Can you borrow another box from someone who has it already tuned to the channels you want and try it at your place ?
Did the "J'' man leave any signal test results ? Tazzy.

#21 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:06 PM

This all sounds very confusing.

Yes, all Network TEN channels are broadcast in Wollongong by their regional affiliate network, Southern Cross TEN.

Did the installer check and tune your STB's to get all available channels from Wollongong, including the HD channels?

If not, why not?

If you only have a UHF antenna pointed at Wollongong, (eg: no VHF antenna) then you won't get Sydney TEN Digital... you will only get (from Wollongong) Southern Cross TEN (on LCN 5) Eleven (on LCN 55) and ONEHD (on LCN 50).

I suggest you do a factory default reset of your STB's, then re-scan.

As mentioned previously, if you have an HD tuner, if you can receive any network's SD channels, you should get the HD channel... they are all in the same data stream on the same frequency.

If you need to, tune each network manually by entering the following:

Illawarra = Knights Hill

WIN 585.500 Mhz

SC TEN 592.500 Mhz

Prime 599.500 Mhz

ABC 690.500 Mhz

SBS 711.625 Mhz

Also, can you please post some pics of your antenna/s so we can identify what antenna/s you have?

Edit: Tazzy... looks like we were posting at the same time... we both suspect the same thing... some Sydney VHF getting through the Illawarra UHF antenna and STB tuning is corrupted... needs a full factory default reset then rescan.

Edited by mtv, 02 August 2011 - 12:10 PM.

#22 DzR

DzR

AV Forum Member

• 10 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:12 PM

thanks guys,

The antenna person came back and put another booster in as the old one was faulty so he said, my wife confirmed we have 2 10 channels from Wollongong and 2 One channels from Wollongong, but they dont say HD on them

However the antenna person adv. 1 is SD 1 is HD.

The only issue I have is, last thursday I had One HD and 10 HD :(

#23 Tazzy2Heads

Tazzy2Heads

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:37 PM

The only issue I have is, last thursday I had One HD and 10 HD :([/quote]

#24 The Baja

The Baja

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:51 PM

Try this link.

http://myswitch.digitalready.gov.au/

Cheer's

#25 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:54 PM

The UHF antenna shound be pointing almost due south (true bearing 185 degrees) but from the pic, it looks to be pointing more towards the east.

Regardless, it should have been aligned by the installer with a digital meter.

Next... there is no such channel name as 10 HD any more.. it changed to ONE HD, but now is simply called ONE (not to be confused with SBS ONE). This is why you need to perform a full factory default reset of your STB's, then rescan, because I think you still have the old channel label info saved in them.

Then check what channels you are getting and post the results here.

Sydney channels should display LCN's (the Logical Channel Numbers on your STB display) as follows: (I've put HD in brackets just to indicate which channels are HD)

1 ONE (HD)

2 ABC1

3 SBS ONE

7 7 Digital

9 Nine Digital

10 Ten Digital

11 Eleven

21 ABC1

22 ABC2/ABC4

23 ABC3

24 ABC News 24 (HD)

30 SBS (HD)

32 SBS2

33 SBS3

34 SBS4

44 TVS (Ch31 Community TV Digital)

70 7 Digital

71 7 Digital

72 7Two

73 7mate (HD)

90 GEM (HD)

99 Go!

Wollongong (Knights Hill) UHF Channels:

2 ABC1

3 SBS ONE

5 SC10

6 Prime7

8 WIN

21 ABC1

22 ABC2/ABC4

23 ABC3

24 ABC News 24 (HD)

30 SBS (HD)

32 SBS TWO

33 SBS3

34 SBS4

50 ONE (HD)

55 Eleven

60 Prime7

61 Prime7

62 7Two

63 7mate (HD)

80 GEM (HD)

88 Go!

Note... there may be some conflict with ABC and SBS having the same LCN's in both Sydney and Wollongong and different tuners store duplicate LCN's differently.
Some will retain the first ones scanned and allocate an additional LCN for the duplicate (eg: 300+ range) others will overwrite with the last duplicate scanned.

So, as far as ONE HD goes.... you should find it on LCN 1 (from Sydney) and on LCN 50 (from Wollongong).

Remember... do a factory default reset on your STB's, then rescan the channels and see if they match with what I've listed.

Let's know how you get on.

Edited by DTV Forum Mod, 03 August 2011 - 10:41 PM.