• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,650 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:02 PM

Repco letterbox Flyer
"Kit includes a quality windscreen mount amplified DAB+ antenna valued at $169." Total Cost $299 Stock number DAB1000 Prolinear brand
Picture

AlanH

#2 DrP

DrP

AV Forum Member

• 16,740 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:39 PM

No DRM support? Fail.

#3 MLXXX

MLXXX

AV Forum Member

• 5,416 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:23 PM

Yes the description in the advertising of "futureproof" may be a tad optimistic given that no definite decision has been made about digital reception in rural parts.

Still it's encouraging to see a DAB+ in dash car radio; and not surprising that the essential AM band is included.

#4 :)

:)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:47 PM

yes not future proof by any means, especially since a digital radio solution for the regional areas remains unknown. I wonder if the case why our local car makers refuse to budge on fitting digital radios to their range is for very same reason. given no standard for out of metro areas been established. canbera itself where the pollies sit is considered regional isnt it ? with still no digital radio apart from some stalled trial ? until such basics get sorted I cant see anything going any place.

additionally I dont think any of the euro OEM radio makers eg vdu have still got any particualar world standards to work to have they ? so cant see them wanting to jump on any technologies quite so early if just supported by some by only some parts of a back water such as australia !

#5 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,650 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:11 AM

Department of Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy is currently considering what digital standard will be used in regional and remote areas. For remote areas, DRM30 is the only digital standard available. The real question is the regional areas.

The advertiser used futureproof, obviously oblivious to DRM+ and DRM30.

AlanH

#6 mgaleano

mgaleano

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:33 PM

Department of Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy is currently considering what digital standard will be used in regional and remote areas. For remote areas, DRM30 is the only digital standard available. The real question is the regional areas.

The advertiser used futureproof, obviously oblivious to DRM+ and DRM30.

AlanH

If I got one of these could I use my aerial I already have? I notice it comes with an aerial!

#7 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,650 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:14 AM

mgaleano,
The supplied antenna with this radio includes an amplifier, I also have not looked at it to find out if it is like the mobile phone type of antenna which uses the glass as a coupling capacitor from a rod antenna or whether its like the one on the Pure Highway.

This antenna may not work for band 1 DRM+ or DRM30 unless it's in the MF band.

AlanH

#8 mgaleano

mgaleano

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:07 AM

mgaleano,
The supplied antenna with this radio includes an amplifier, I also have not looked at it to find out if it is like the mobile phone type of antenna which uses the glass as a coupling capacitor from a rod antenna or whether its like the one on the Pure Highway.

This antenna may not work for band 1 DRM+ or DRM30 unless it's in the MF band.

AlanH

Ok so it would be good for AM as well.

#9 Willic

Willic

AV Forum Member

• 4 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 07:38 PM

I bought one of these ProLinear sets on Friday, it cost a little extra to install because of the extra DAB antenna.
All good so far, it picks up all stations well, I have not noticed any dropouts yet, except of course when driving through the Burnley Tunnel.
Very pleased to be finally able to listen to AM stations without all the interference.

#10 mgaleano

mgaleano

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 07:05 PM

I bought one of these ProLinear sets on Friday, it cost a little extra to install because of the extra DAB antenna.
All good so far, it picks up all stations well, I have not noticed any dropouts yet, except of course when driving through the Burnley Tunnel.
Very pleased to be finally able to listen to AM stations without all the interference.

Well I got one...

The aerial I think makes a differences. I quite impressed with the AM radio, it doesn't get the interference that my stock radio got in and around hornsby, also sounds better :). FM radio similar to the last system I had. Maybe a bit better. I think the AM radio reception might be improved with the boaster aerial it actually uses two aerials! I think anyway. Unless it uses the new aerial just for digital and the existing one for analog.

Oh yeah it has digital too. Good reception, have not heard it break up. To be honest I have not tested that well. Went to Manly, to carlingford tempted to drive somewhere with bad reception for fun if I get a chance.

The bad of this radio. The screen or LCD looks a bit buggy. Like the time display looks strange. I saw this on a review on a website somewhere.

#11 mgaleano

mgaleano

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:05 PM

Gave it a good test. I went to Newport beach and the reception did break up around Mona Vale it would cut in and out until you hit the hill at Newport. It also broke up on the warringah parkway near Narrabeen lakes . Quite a hilly area. I had to switch back to analog as it was just silent. I was surprised around Waitara the reception broke up. Just near edgeworth david drv. Not as bad as the Northern beaches though.

An areas I was surprised it didn't break up was the tunnel under the M2 at Oakes road at West Pennant Hills.

I'll post the black spots areas.

Edited by mgaleano, 06 February 2011 - 08:13 PM.

#12 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,650 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:35 PM

mgaleano,
The coastal locations you mention are the reason why the translator sites for TV are installed at Bouddi and Manly Sewage Plant. These sites would be ideal for on-channel repeaters like in Collins St Melbourne.

As for Edgeworth David Rd, all those blocks of units on the Hornsby end will absorb signals. The dip on Junction Rd where the Freeway goes underneath misses out on signal due to the terrain.

It would be interesting to compare the performance of this receiver to the Pure Highway, particularly with is accessory magnetic base antenna.

AlanH

#13 mgaleano

mgaleano

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:58 PM

mgaleano,
The coastal locations you mention are the reason why the translator sites for TV are installed at Bouddi and Manly Sewage Plant. These sites would be ideal for on-channel repeaters like in Collins St Melbourne.

As for Edgeworth David Rd, all those blocks of units on the Hornsby end will absorb signals. The dip on Junction Rd where the Freeway goes underneath misses out on signal due to the terrain.

It would be interesting to compare the performance of this receiver to the Pure Highway, particularly with is accessory magnetic base antenna.

AlanH

Wonder if Wakehurst parkway would get something from Manly Sewage plant? . (( meant Wakehurst parkway not warringah road)

I hope they do put some repeaters in! So it doesn't not turn people away in that area.

I can predict that reception would be poor west of St Marys and Campbelltown (given WS repeaters are required)

Edited by mgaleano, 06 February 2011 - 09:00 PM.

#14 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,650 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:10 PM

mgaleano,
The problem areas from a TV point of view which would be worth testing with DAB+ is the Hills areas particularly out towards Windsor and Penrith, where the signal levels are not particularly high, but the interference levels are.

I don't imagine that Campbelltown will be a huge problem due to the flatness of the terrain, however tests are the only way to know.

The other areas with translators are Kings Cross and Woronora. The Kings Cross translator mainly covers South Sydney, CBD and Eastern Suburbs.

AlanH

#15 DrP

DrP

AV Forum Member

• 16,740 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 06:22 AM

I don't imagine that Campbelltown will be a huge problem due to the flatness of the terrain, however tests are the only way to know.

Yes indeed. Quite often we find that theoretical assumptions do not match real world results. Reality often wins.

#16 fp933

fp933

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:43 AM

AlanH

I imagine that Campbelltown could very well be a problem, judging from the (usually) optimistic coverage maps.

http://www.abc.net.a...Sydney_DAB .jpg

#17 mgaleano

mgaleano

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:58 AM

I imagine that Campbelltown could very well be a problem, judging from the (usually) optimistic coverage maps.

http://www.abc.net.a...Sydney_DAB .jpg

My guess Katoomba would get some reception :).

I have not seen that map before. A lot of sydney misses out. Interesting... Perhaps they do need repeaters!!

#18 Digital Penetration

Digital Penetration

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:43 AM

My guess Katoomba would get some reception :).

I got reception in Hazelbrook using a Kaiser-Baas, even in the places that didn't have los and the TV antennas are really tall. DAB+ reception was bit patchy, but it wasn't hard to just move the radio around and find places where the signal was good.

#19 mgaleano

mgaleano

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:42 AM

I got reception in Hazelbrook using a Kaiser-Baas, even in the places that didn't have los and the TV antennas are really tall. DAB+ reception was bit patchy, but it wasn't hard to just move the radio around and find places where the signal was good.

Went for a trip from Pennant hills to Mt Anna Bot. gardens. Along the M7 it broke up around the Quakers Hill parkway , then surprisely was ok until I got off the exit at Narellan road behind a hill. I notice some houses seems to have thier aerials pointed to Knights Hill there. Could still get coverage in the park itself.

Its nice to hear 2CH on digital. Great compared to AM radio.

2SM prefer to listen on AM :-).

#20 woosydiver

woosydiver

AV Forum Member

• 20 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:08 PM

I've just installed a Philips CEM3000 car head unit [literally just finished it tonight], I think it's great. I had to buy it in the UK and get a friend to ship it to me.
It came with an external mag mount aerial, works perfectly.

I was a little concerned it may not support DAB+ but it does.

Cost about AU$280 inc shipping

It's replacing a Pure Highway which I have been using for ages, this wins hands down. Pity Philips won't be importing it [so their importer advised]

http://www.p4c.phili...ductInformation

Edited by woosydiver, 02 March 2011 - 08:09 PM.

#21 mgaleano

mgaleano

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 12:56 PM

I've just installed a Philips CEM3000 car head unit [literally just finished it tonight], I think it's great. I had to buy it in the UK and get a friend to ship it to me.
It came with an external mag mount aerial, works perfectly.

I was a little concerned it may not support DAB+ but it does.

Cost about AU$280 inc shipping

It's replacing a Pure Highway which I have been using for ages, this wins hands down. Pity Philips won't be importing it [so their importer advised]

http://www.p4c.phili...ductInformation

Pretty good price. Which city do you live in ? Let me know what the coverage is like. I had an Indoor aerial come with my radio. It seems to work well except when I went to Canberra.

My display on my unit can be "buggy". Sometimes also when the reception drops out for a fairly long period it needs to be retuned once it is back in a reception area.

I drove from Forest way to Wakehurst Parkway and I am please to say the reception was ok. There were some minor break ups at the wakehurst parkway but much better than expected. So I think the black spot is more towards Narrabeen Lakes on the Wakehurst parkway.

#22 woosydiver

woosydiver

AV Forum Member

• 20 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:25 AM

Pretty good price. Which city do you live in ? Let me know what the coverage is like. I had an Indoor aerial come with my radio. It seems to work well except when I went to Canberra.

My display on my unit can be "buggy". Sometimes also when the reception drops out for a fairly long period it needs to be retuned once it is back in a reception area.

I drove from Forest way to Wakehurst Parkway and I am please to say the reception was ok. There were some minor break ups at the wakehurst parkway but much better than expected. So I think the black spot is more towards Narrabeen Lakes on the Wakehurst parkway.

I'm in Pennant Hills. I used my Pure Highway for a while with the stock aerial & it was OK. I then installed a mag mount aerial on the car roof & the reception was excellent, hardly a breakup throughout Sydney metro including the bottom of Galston Gorge and all the way to Wentworth Falls along the Western Highway.

My new Philips unit came with a mag mount aerial which is also on the roof and it looks like I'm getting solid reception everywhere. The only place I have a drop out is a short section of Epping tunnel & in underground car parks which of course is expected.

#23 mgaleano

mgaleano

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:50 AM

I'm in Pennant Hills. I used my Pure Highway for a while with the stock aerial & it was OK. I then installed a mag mount aerial on the car roof & the reception was excellent, hardly a breakup throughout Sydney metro including the bottom of Galston Gorge and all the way to Wentworth Falls along the Western Highway.

My new Philips unit came with a mag mount aerial which is also on the roof and it looks like I'm getting solid reception everywhere. The only place I have a drop out is a short section of Epping tunnel & in underground car parks which of course is expected.

How was the Penrith area/ St Marys etc? Have not driven out there...

Have you been out to Newport way? I get break up around Newport...Thats only region of Sydney I have noticed. Some minor glitches (near the public school) around Waitara too but not that bad.

#24 woosydiver

woosydiver

AV Forum Member

• 20 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:15 PM

How was the Penrith area/ St Marys etc? Have not driven out there...

Have you been out to Newport way? I get break up around Newport...Thats only region of Sydney I have noticed. Some minor glitches (near the public school) around Waitara too but not that bad.

I've not been out around Penrith for ages, but I'm sure that when I was there I would have been listening to my DAB+ radio & noticed if there was a problem. I go to Bayview sometimes and get reception all the way along Pittwater Rd & McCarrs Creek Rd. Basically I don't recall having any dropouts in my car unless in a tunnel.

#25 DigitalRadioNow

DigitalRadioNow

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 01:29 AM

Thanks for all the updates on new car units and reception reports, very interesting to read. Much appreciated!