• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 ozjad

ozjad

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:44 PM

Well the promos are running regularly on TDT, but I cannot find anything to say it will launch 11/1/11. Anybody have any news to share?

#2 HillsTas

HillsTas

DTV Forums Member

• 299 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:27 PM

Yes, media release came out the other day confirming.

BUT...

keep your ears open for some disapointing news which may come out soon. Unfortunately I am not at liberty to say anything else just yet.

Will let you know when I have confirmed proof.

Cheers

Dave

#3 ozjad

ozjad

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:32 AM

yeah I read the SC media release confirming Eleven coming to VIC, NSW, QLD and ACT but there was no mention of TAS. The Eleven promos on TDT were definately intended for the TAS audience as they were inserted in with local ads last night and there were quite a few shown, so it must be coming.
Im thinking there must be a delay in getting an agreement on advertising similar to when OneHD launced, i believe Ch. 10 handles sales For One HD in Tas. SC/WIN have had more than enough notice to launch Eleven on time down here, i may give a call and enquire today.

#4 Donny05

Donny05

DTV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:17 PM

yeah I read the SC media release confirming Eleven coming to VIC, NSW, QLD and ACT but there was no mention of TAS. The Eleven promos on TDT were definately intended for the TAS audience as they were inserted in with local ads last night and there were quite a few shown, so it must be coming.
Im thinking there must be a delay in getting an agreement on advertising similar to when OneHD launced, i believe Ch. 10 handles sales For One HD in Tas. SC/WIN have had more than enough notice to launch Eleven on time down here, i may give a call and enquire today.

Any news on this?

Cheers, Jason

#5 ozjad

ozjad

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 04:48 PM

Tassie to get Channel Eleven
23 Dec, 2010 11:14 AM
Tasmanian television viewers will have access to Channel Ten's new digital channel ELEVEN at the same time as the rest of Australia.

Tasmanian Digital Television general manager Stephen Giles announced this morning that Channel Eleven will be telecast into Tasmania on January 11.

"We're thrilled to announce that we will be offering and launching Channel Eleven for regional viewers at the same time that metropolitan viewers will have access to this new service," Mr Giles said.

"With a stable of some of the most popular comedies and dramas, as well as iconic programs The Simpsons and Neighbours, Channel Eleven promises to be unlike any other multi-channel offering on Australian television - particularly given that there will be no program cross-over between Channel Eleven and Ten," he said.

http://www.examiner....en/2033200.aspx

#6 kert58

kert58

DTV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 07:33 PM

Tassie to get Channel Eleven
23 Dec, 2010 11:14 AM
Tasmanian television viewers will have access to Channel Ten's new digital channel ELEVEN at the same time as the rest of Australia.

Tasmanian Digital Television general manager Stephen Giles announced this morning that Channel Eleven will be telecast into Tasmania on January 11.

"We're thrilled to announce that we will be offering and launching Channel Eleven for regional viewers at the same time that metropolitan viewers will have access to this new service," Mr Giles said.

"With a stable of some of the most popular comedies and dramas, as well as iconic programs The Simpsons and Neighbours, Channel Eleven promises to be unlike any other multi-channel offering on Australian television - particularly given that there will be no program cross-over between Channel Eleven and Ten," he said.

http://www.examiner....en/2033200.aspx

Great news for you guys down there in Tassie!

#7 _Roger_

_Roger_

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 06:40 AM

Does anybody know if they are going to change the transmission specs in Hobart or are they planning on squashing everything into 19.3Mbps (FEC 2/3)? If it's left alone I wouldn't be surprised if OneHD went to 720p.

Roger.

#8 jase79

jase79

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 01:33 PM

Does anybody know if they are going to change the transmission specs in Hobart or are they planning on squashing everything into 19.3Mbps (FEC 2/3)? If it's left alone I wouldn't be surprised if OneHD went to 720p.

Roger.

No idea, but i'm thinking that they are going to leave it as is and try to squash everything in. Southern Cross has already done the same thing in Hobart due to lack of bandwidth even though they run at 23Mbps.

#9 _Roger_

_Roger_

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 06:41 AM

No idea, but i'm thinking that they are going to leave it as is and try to squash everything in. Southern Cross has already done the same thing in Hobart due to lack of bandwidth even though they run at 23Mbps.

I suspect you're right but they did drop the HD channel to 720p in order to fit in 7TWO. I can't see them leaving OneHD at 1080i and 12Mbps and squashing two SD channels into 7Mbps (TDT is currently running at about 5.7Mbps). I guess we'll find out in a week or so.

#10 HillsTas

HillsTas

DTV Forums Member

• 299 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:03 AM

I suspect you're right but they did drop the HD channel to 720p in order to fit in 7TWO. I can't see them leaving OneHD at 1080i and 12Mbps and squashing two SD channels into 7Mbps (TDT is currently running at about 5.7Mbps). I guess we'll find out in a week or so.

Unfortunately, the news I could not release before seems to suggest ONEHD will be downconverted to SD, not just 720, but the reason I did not release this info is it is not confirmed. I certainly hope this does not happen, but would not be too shocked if they tried to.

Cheers

Dave

#11 _Roger_

_Roger_

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:49 AM

Unfortunately, the news I could not release before seems to suggest ONEHD will be downconverted to SD, not just 720, but the reason I did not release this info is it is not confirmed. I certainly hope this does not happen, but would not be too shocked if they tried to.

Cheers

Dave

Wouldn't this place them in breach of their broadcast licence? I thought they were subject to HD quota requirements - unless they have been granted some kind of legal exemption.

#12 HillsTas

HillsTas

DTV Forums Member

• 299 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:40 AM

Wouldn't this place them in breach of their broadcast licence? I thought they were subject to HD quota requirements - unless they have been granted some kind of legal exemption.

Not sure, I know it has to do with the amount of bandwidth TDT has available of the fibre link to the mainland. Perhaps Eleven will become the HD channel.

Cheers

Dave

#13 _Roger_

_Roger_

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:36 AM

OneHD has gone to 720p and about 8.7Mbps, TDT is still around 5.7Mbps and there is about 4.4Mbps currently in null packets, most of which will probably be assigned to Eleven.

Roger.

#14 jase79

jase79

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:01 PM

OneHD has gone to 720p and about 8.7Mbps, TDT is still around 5.7Mbps and there is about 4.4Mbps currently in null packets, most of which will probably be assigned to Eleven.

Roger.

Yep just as predicted. Hopefully they don't reduce one HD anymore than that. 7mate in Hobart runs at about that as well. At least it couldn't look any worse than GEM does here.

Edit: actually looks like one HD is running around 8.2Mbps here now @720p

Edited by jase79, 06 January 2011 - 12:03 PM.

#15 _Roger_

_Roger_

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:38 PM

Edit: actually looks like one HD is running around 8.2Mbps here now @720p

I included the audio pid which might explain the discrepancy. I should really include the caption and PMT as well but they're not that large.

-PID--FREQ-----BANDWIDTH-BANDWIDTH-
0000 1 p/s 0 kb/s 2 kbit
0011 0 p/s 0 kb/s 1 kbit
0012 60 p/s 11 kb/s 90 kbit
0290 1 p/s 0 kb/s 2 kbit
0291 3639 p/s 668 kb/s 5473 kbit
0292 177 p/s 32 kb/s 266 kbit
0293 24 p/s 4 kb/s 37 kbit
0db6 1 p/s 0 kb/s 2 kbit
0db7 5503 p/s 1010 kb/s 8277 kbit
0db8 312 p/s 57 kb/s 470 kbit
0db9 50 p/s 9 kb/s 75 kbit
1f4b 165 p/s 30 kb/s 249 kbit
1fff 2934 p/s 538 kb/s 4414 kbit
2000 12875 p/s 2363 kb/s 19364 kbit

#16 ozjad

ozjad

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:07 PM

just did a rescan and no 11 test pattern in NW TAS as yet.

#17 _Roger_

_Roger_

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:49 PM

just did a rescan and no 11 test pattern in NW TAS as yet.

They haven't added in Hobart yet either but they've made the space. I wonder if people will complain about the picture quality on OneHD - there are some serious edge artifacts.

#18 jase79

jase79

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:55 PM

They haven't added in Hobart yet either but they've made the space. I wonder if people will complain about the picture quality on OneHD - there are some serious edge artifacts.

As far as i know TDT and their extra channels are a state wide feed so there is no difference in north and south tas, unless someone knows otherwise?

Still null packets here as shown in the tsreader file:

TDT bitrates

#19 Alista

Alista

DTV Forums Member

• 686 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:13 PM

As far as i know TDT and their extra channels are a state wide feed so there is no difference in north and south tas, unless someone knows otherwise?

Still null packets here as shown in the tsreader file:

TDT bitrates

Yes I think thats correct, I checked my Tsreader and its identical although I think the same feed is sent to Launceston as well. So they are microwaved to the Mt Wellington and Mt Barrow locally. Unless that has changed and Mt Barrow gets its feed from Mt Wellington? I'm sure someone knows.

Cheers.

#20 HillsTas

HillsTas

DTV Forums Member

• 299 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:40 AM

OneHD looks a bit ordinary now. Question is, will 4.4MB be enough for Eleven?

#21 DrP

DrP

DTV Forums Master

• 19,883 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:58 AM

If the quality on 7 QLD's edition of 7TWO is anything to go by, it'll be mostly 'acceptable' - a bit soft, bit of artifacting during high complexity / motion scenes. Of course, time will tell.

#22 _Roger_

_Roger_

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:50 AM

OneHD looks a bit ordinary now. Question is, will 4.4MB be enough for Eleven?

They'll need to leave at least 100-200kbit/s for overruns and they'll need space for audio and captions so I suspect we'll be looking at around 4Mbps for the video stream. A little bit less than 7TWO. I suspect I'll find Tens crap NTSC to PAL conversions more annoying than the low bitrate.

#23 jase79

jase79

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:29 PM

Looks like Southern Cross have reduced 7mate to 8.2Mbps, same as ONEHD now. They must use the same backhaul for both TDT and Southern Cross. Would explain why ELEVEN hasn't appeared yet.

Edit: I think they have also reduced SCTV from 5.2Mbps to 5.1Mbps

Edited by jase79, 07 January 2011 - 02:32 PM.

#24 ando9185

ando9185

DTV Forums Member

• 846 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 04:11 PM

There seems to be something happening this afternoon. I'm having dropouts with the TDT channels and if I rescan I either get no channels or only one channel. Have never seen this before and I still have signal etc... but all the channel information goes missing. At the moment if I rescan I only get TDT, no One HD. An hour ago when it last dropped out I had about 4 minutes with neither.

#25 jase79

jase79

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 04:15 PM

There seems to be something happening this afternoon. I'm having dropouts with the TDT channels and if I rescan I either get no channels or only one channel. Have never seen this before and I still have signal etc... but all the channel information goes missing. At the moment if I rescan I only get TDT, no One HD. An hour ago when it last dropped out I had about 4 minutes with neither.

Yeah they are definetly mucking around with it. TDT is down to 2.7Mbps as is SCTV also. Lots of Null packets and ONEHD disapears every now and then.

Edit: TDT SD has now been lowered to 5.1Mbps (same as SCTV). It was running at 5.4Mbps before.

Edited by jase79, 07 January 2011 - 04:29 PM.