#926 invercom

invercom

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:46 PM

Best bet is to email the disc details to Oppo

blairy

Many thanks. Oppo responded promptly, just had to erase BD-Video data and it worked.

#927 cwt

cwt

AV Forum Member

• 5,729 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:42 PM

Heads up for anyone using iso file playback if this comes true :pirate: Check the firmware upgrade notes ;if they mention it :no:

http://www.avsforum....88#post21482188

#928 wheelz

wheelz

AV Forum Member

• 4,317 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:16 PM

Heads up for anyone using iso file playback if this comes true :pirate: Check the firmware upgrade notes ;if they mention it :no:

http://www.avsforum....88#post21482188

Cheers for the heads up,removed my ethernet cable.Its one feature i really would hate to lose :thumbsup:

Edited by wheelz, 13 January 2012 - 07:31 PM.

#929 blairy

blairy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:37 AM

Over on AVS the moderators have shut down speculation on the ISO issue.

As to FW notes, take extreme care. Making ISO avalaible was not announced in FW notes...it was an Easter Egg. On this basis, removing the functionality may not be announced either.

One of the Beta testers on AVS (and these people seem to know more than most) has mentioned that Oppo's silence on the subject may indicate they are still fighting this; here's hoping.

blairy

#930 blairy

blairy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:26 PM

Well, what a fantastic sunday afternoon....wife out shopping or lunching with sister or whatever...started with all music on shuffle from NAS while making lunch. Decided an audio session would be a good idea....quite loud :hyper:

Eric Clapton Slowhand SACD MCH...don't think I've played this on the BDP93. One of those SACD discs that is not up to some of the others I own...not any more, cripes this was incredible...the BDP93 didn't just lift a veil, it blew it away...incredible.

Billy Joel Piano Man SACD Stereo... first time I played this (only a few months ago) I was quite disappointed. Of course this had been a quiet listening session (the day it arrived) after everybody else in household was in bed. Loud this disc is very very good...and I proved that again this afternoon.

Neil Young Harvest DVD-A...one of the greatest albums of all time and in surround sound better than ever...acoustic tracks....LSO tracks...whatever.....they're all briliiant and the Oppo is fantastic with this album.

Back to my NAS and played Get your Ya Ya's Out by the Rolling Stones. I've raved about the quality of this album courtesy of the Oppo in this thread previously. No idea why but the Oppo is great with old sources of music such as this album.

Then of course I picked a Christmas present...Springsteen Live at Hyde Park BD (so much for audio session)...wife due any minute...selected Outlaw Pete and blew the roof off. Naturally she arrived home about two thirds of the way through the song...."a thief could'a come and emptied the house and you wouldn't know." And she's right too ;)

blairy (please don't burgle me)

Edited by blairy, 15 January 2012 - 04:28 PM.

#931 David Williams

David Williams

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:11 AM

I must look tor the Piano man!!!

#932 SDL

SDL

AV Forum Member

• 10,652 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:00 AM

I must look tor the Piano man!!!

He's the guy sitting on the stool in front of that big object tapping on the little black and white rectangles. Can't miss him in a room really. :)

#933 com5984

com5984

AV Forum Member

• 2,843 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:52 AM

Just looking at these, I have an 83 modded by JLTI and it's a great bit of gear. It might be time to upgrade for me.
http://www.customanalogue.com/

#934 blybo

blybo

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:53 AM

(please don't burgle me)

I know what you mean. I've felt a bit uneasy using my room cranked up when no body else is home. Have thought a few times I must see if there is a way to rig our video door bell into the HT somehow... And put a phone extention in there too.

#935 aHorseofCourse

aHorseofCourse

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:58 AM

Over on AVS the moderators have shut down speculation on the ISO issue.

As to FW notes, take extreme care. Making ISO avalaible was not announced in FW notes...it was an Easter Egg. On this basis, removing the functionality may not be announced either.

One of the Beta testers on AVS (and these people seem to know more than most) has mentioned that Oppo's silence on the subject may indicate they are still fighting this; here's hoping.

blairy

The fact that moderators on AVS are deleting even the most benign references to the removal of ISO functionality doesn't fill me with a whole lot of confidence. I mean, really? We're not even allowed to mention it? And who or what exactly are Oppo "fighting" on this issue?

#936 SDL

SDL

AV Forum Member

• 10,652 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:03 AM

I know what you mean. I've felt a bit uneasy using my room cranked up when no body else is home. Have thought a few times I must see if there is a way to rig our video door bell into the HT somehow... And put a phone extention in there too.

We have our video doorbell into the HT room and a phone extension just outside in the bar. I had the same worries as our house is very long and the front door is all the way at the other end and the HT is in a kind of basement as well making it another floor also. The video panel is a nice black with blue led so matches the light switches and also the colours of the room which is black with blue walls. All looks okay and does the job. My only concern is someone who doesn't ring the doorbell and have thought about that at night when we are down there watching something.

Hmmm getting off the Oppo discussion though aren't we.

#937 aHorseofCourse

aHorseofCourse

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:28 PM

So, according to the chatter on AVSForums (most of which has now been deleted by moderators), it looks like ISO support will definitely be removed from future firmwares for the 93/95 range. Seeing as though we can't talk about it over there, why not talk about it here?
Who's planning not to update? You'll lose potential fixes and improvements, and there might be problems with future discs, but you'll keep ISO support. The way I see it, a firmware without ISO support would have to offer something else pretty damn compelling to make me want to switch.
It also makes me long for the old days of hacked Oppo firmwares. I remember a Russian guy put out some custom firmwares for my old Oppo 971 DVD player, which worked just fine. If someone (Russian or otherwise) decided to do a custom 93 firmware that added new features and kept ISO support, I'd forget that I'm a married man and kiss him. And given that the 93 firmware is broken up into a main version, a loader version and a sub version, I wonder if it's possible to update bits of the firmware while keeping the bulk of it intact.
Or is it simply not that big a deal? The 93 is still a great player. I was more than happy with it before it had ISO support, so why should it make that much of a difference?

Edited by aHorseofCourse, 19 January 2012 - 06:29 PM.

#938 :)

:)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:36 PM

Spoiler
:(

#939 blairy

blairy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:17 PM

Spoiler
:(

The Oppo BDP 93/95 still does ISO. not certain what the future will remove though :)

blairy

Edited by blairy, 19 January 2012 - 09:18 PM.

#940 raZorTT

raZorTT

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:56 PM

Hi folks,

I'm not at home so can't test this at the moment, but I was wondering does the BDP-93 output audio to both the HDMI and the optical output simultaneously?

I searched this thread and also looked through the manual but couldn't find any mention.

I suspect it might be either HDMI or optical, but I just thought I would check.

Cheers,
Simon

#941 Chopsus

Chopsus

AV Forum Member

• 14,715 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:16 PM

I can say the 83 does both, so I would be surprised if the 93 didn;t

#942 aHorseofCourse

aHorseofCourse

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:33 PM

Hi folks,

I'm not at home so can't test this at the moment, but I was wondering does the BDP-93 output audio to both the HDMI and the optical output simultaneously?

I searched this thread and also looked through the manual but couldn't find any mention.

All audio outputs are active simultaneously: HDMI, optical and analogue.

#943 cwt

cwt

AV Forum Member

• 5,729 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:57 PM

So, according to the chatter on AVSForums (most of which has now been deleted by moderators), it looks like ISO support will definitely be removed from future firmwares for the 93/95 range. Seeing as though we can't talk about it over there, why not talk about it here?
Who's planning not to update? You'll lose potential fixes and improvements, and there might be problems with future discs, but you'll keep ISO support. The way I see it, a firmware without ISO support would have to offer something else pretty damn compelling to make me want to switch.
It also makes me long for the old days of hacked Oppo firmwares. I remember a Russian guy put out some custom firmwares for my old Oppo 971 DVD player, which worked just fine. If someone (Russian or otherwise) decided to do a custom 93 firmware that added new features and kept ISO support, I'd forget that I'm a married man and kiss him. And given that the 93 firmware is broken up into a main version, a loader version and a sub version, I wonder if it's possible to update bits of the firmware while keeping the bulk of it intact.
Or is it simply not that big a deal? The 93 is still a great player. I was more than happy with it before it had ISO support, so why should it make that much of a difference?

Ile probably leave the firmware the same; any discs that have java problems Ile rip to an iso :) The idiots are making us do what they dont want :ninja: ; or just make a bd folder to save space on my NAS .. Hows this for cryptic ; 'alternatives' being mediatanks no doubt ;

http://www.avsforum....64#post21513264

Now the oppo can play truehd files without being in iso format its not as critical as it once was though ..

#944 David Williams

David Williams

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:44 PM

Both

#945 CHRIS08

CHRIS08

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:05 PM

Hey fellas. Anyone have Boardwalk Empire??? Received mine 2day, i think theres a problem with the oppo in playin this disc. Firmware possibly needed. When u go tot the episode list menu the disc locks & picture freezes. You can however play all episodes from the menu, i did that & at the end of the episodes picture froze. You have to keep pressin the power button to get the disc out of the machine.

#946 aHorseofCourse

aHorseofCourse

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:39 AM

Hey fellas. Anyone have Boardwalk Empire??? Received mine 2day, i think theres a problem with the oppo in playin this disc. Firmware possibly needed. When u go tot the episode list menu the disc locks & picture freezes. You can however play all episodes from the menu, i did that & at the end of the episodes picture froze. You have to keep pressin the power button to get the disc out of the machine.

Yep, someone else mentioned this at AVSForums. Apparently Oppo is aware of the problem and working on a fix. Unfortunately that probably means it'll be in a new ISO-less firmware release. Might be worth emailing Oppo anyway.

#947 raZorTT

raZorTT

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 11:18 AM

I can say the 83 does both, so I would be surprised if the 93 didn;t

All audio outputs are active simultaneously: HDMI, optical and analogue.

Thanks guys

I've been able to confirm that it does output at the same time :D

Cheers,
Simon

#948 aHorseofCourse

aHorseofCourse

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:57 AM

Well, the 'NO ISO' (or just 'ISNO!') firmware has just been posted by Oppo, with updates for compatibility with Universal titles and a few other discs.
According to beta tester reports, BDMV folder and AVCHD folder support still works.

#949 Quark

Quark

AV Forum Member

• 3,641 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:07 AM

Well, the 'NO ISO' (or just 'ISNO!') firmware has just been posted by Oppo, with updates for compatibility with Universal titles and a few other discs.
According to beta tester reports, BDMV folder and AVCHD folder support still works.

The ISO feature wasn't something I've been using, but was a nice option - shame to see it go. At least Oppo is being upfront about its removal and not just deleting it on the sly, so users can make a choice (although not much of a choice if you have discs that won't play).

#950 blairy

blairy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:29 AM

Release date: January 23, 2012.
Category: Latest Public Beta Release
Main Version: BDP9x-64-0119B
Loader Version: CN0900
Sub Version: MCU93-09-0218 (BDP-93), MCU95-08-0218 (BDP-95)
Release Notes:

1. Resolved the loading failure issue observed on several recently-released Blu-ray movies, mainly Universal Europe (EU) releases. Their US releases have no known issue. Sample titles include "Jurassic Park Trilogy (BD Box Set, 2011)", "Kong Fu Panda 2 (BD, 2011)", "Fast Five (BD, 2011)", and "National Lampoon's Animal House (BD, 1978 version)" etc. With the previous firmware, disc playback will automatically stop once you go to the Main Menu and select to PLAY. This firmware properly loads and plays all the above Blu-ray titles.

2. Improved general disc compatibility based on recent and upcoming Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted disc samples including "Mr. Poppers Penguins (BD, 2012)", "Dragons Gift of the Night Fury (BD, 2012)", "Human Planet (BD, BBC Documentary)" and "Nine Inch Nails, Live - Beside You In Time (BD)".

3. Per the request from the studios, the ISO file playback function has been removed in this firmware version. The previous firmware had the ability to play ISO files, but it was an undocumented function and was never officially announced or supported. Future firmware version will no longer support ISO playback.

Neuromancer's Note: Multi-directory AVCHD is still working in this firmware, but that too may be removed in the future. The AVCHD specifications only require root directory support, not multi-directory support.

Not to name names or anything, but my new favorite studio is owned by Rupert Murdoch,

A couple fo quotes from AVS Forums