1350 replies to this topic

#26 blairy

blairy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:12 AM

Just testing new signature B)

Watched a few BD's in recent days and BDP-93 is a first rate BD player. Inception is god smackingly good.

As per coments above it's also a very good DVD player - with firmware still being tweaked. Some on AVS forum (who have the 83 and the 93) are saying they'e different but difficult to say one is better than the other. A couple of people on AVS have also said if yuo're upgrading from the 83 for better DVD playback don't.

Video streaming Netflix is a neat feature that works well. PQ is poor (based on comments on AVS I'll blame my bandwidth for the PQ - others in Oz may have more luck) and SQ is stereo only. There is a Netflix upgrade in the first half of next year whcih should improve this...HD video and Surround Sound.

DLNA streaming works well. Only tried this for audio and it's quite good. Like many of us, wifi home networking can sometimes be problematic. I'm having no more issues with the BDP-93 than I do with other equipment in my home. (I need to stop playing with tshi new toy and really sort out my router/network :P )

HDD connected via eSATA works well with WAV lossless files (either via HDMI or SPDIF - which I can feed to a second zone).

Still some issues that need sorting but all in all I'm very happy with this player.

Looks like region free mod should be available mid Jan 2011 as well.

blairy

#27 sejanus

sejanus

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:18 AM

mine shipped yesterday :)

#28 Benje

Benje

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:26 AM

blairy

thanks for the news

I use the networking on the oppo 83 for my jpg slide shows.

I mainly use it for blu-ray, occasional dvd and a lot of music (sacd, dvd-a and some cd/hdcd).

The flac playing would be good, but I can do that through the 3808. The 95 looks really interesting, but I am still on hdmi/dsd/3808a so have not made the 'leap' to analogue, or to separate stereo amps.

So, I think I will be able to survive without 'Oppo Annonymous'.

I am enjoying your posts, please keep it up....

benje

#29 blairy

blairy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:03 AM

blairy

thanks for the news

I use the networking on the oppo 83 for my jpg slide shows.

I mainly use it for blu-ray, occasional dvd and a lot of music (sacd, dvd-a and some cd/hdcd).

The flac playing would be good, but I can do that through the 3808. The 95 looks really interesting, but I am still on hdmi/dsd/3808a so have not made the 'leap' to analogue, or to separate stereo amps.

So, I think I will be able to survive without 'Oppo Annonymous'.

I am enjoying your posts, please keep it up....

benje

Thanks benje

With jpg I put a host of these on my eSATA HDD but the Oppo doesn't see them. Must be using a weired fiel format or something....

blairy

#30 MrMan

MrMan

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:01 PM

I dont mind paying 499 for the player but $117.75 for shipping!?! Thats twice what I paid for shipping of my DV-980h. Why so expensive?

#31 blairy

blairy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:38 PM

I dont mind paying 499 for the player but $117.75 for shipping!?! Thats twice what I paid for shipping of my DV-980h. Why so expensive?

I too had the 980 prior to teh 93....the 93 is about twice the size. I think if you go through to the checkout there might be cheaper options (that take longer).

Of course you could wait until Australian retailers have these for sale. Gattiweb currently listing at $980.

Works out cheaper buying from Oppo doesn't it?

blairy

#32 miata

miata

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:11 PM

...and best wishes to you too. To the tune of "may your chooks turn into emus and peck your dunnies down" may I say/sing (May your region B's turn into A's and peck your oppo down" :lol: All under the heading of sport of course.

And yes I have mostly region B's but a smattering of region A's...ignoring the box of about ten discs that arrived form Amazon on Monday...put away for Christmas ;)

Connected NTFS HDD via front USB port tonight. P{layed lossless WAV files flawlessly as well as FLAC files. Only have stereo FLAC files, some at fs of 44.1 and some at 96khz. All I played were flawless.

Haven't tried over network yet (although I think this is something - for FLAC - that is still a work in progress).

Cheers
blairy

"may your chooks turn into emus and peck your dunnies down". If you're going to quote, get it right. It's KICK your dunny down.

#33 blairy

blairy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:14 PM

"may your chooks turn into emus and peck your dunnies down". If you're going to quote, get it right. It's KICK your dunny down.

Cheers miata :D

The aussie phrase is as you say it is, although sometimes stated as ...kick your shithouse door down...

However the poem and song (released in the 1970's) is along the lines of the following I Hope Your Chooks Turn Into Emus

Cheers
blairy

#34 Skian

Skian

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 10:49 AM

Hi Blairy, I'm currently using my PS3 as my one and only BD player. Do you feel the picture/sound quality difference from it to the 93 is enough of an increase to be a worthwhile upgrade for the price? Considering going into the group buy for this so just weighing everything up.

Thanks

#35 blairy

blairy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:05 PM

Hi Blairy, I'm currently using my PS3 as my one and only BD player. Do you feel the picture/sound quality difference from it to the 93 is enough of an increase to be a worthwhile upgrade for the price? Considering going into the group buy for this so just weighing everything up.

Thanks

What else do you use the PS3 for? As an all round entertainment piece it's pretty comprehensive.

If you upgrade you would lose:

Ability to play games
Built in card reader
Four USB ports (depending on which model PS3 you have)
GUI is probably a little more user friendly (or maybe I'm just more used to it).
ABC iView and other streamed stuff
Ability to use add on's such as PlayTV
HDD
Control via PSP

You would gain:
DVD-A playback
SACD playback (my fat PS3 does this but cannot stream DSD)
HDCD decoded or bit streamed
Hi resolution audio bit streamed (if you're coming from a fat PS3; - the new slim does this too)
Netflix and blockbuster streaming (at a cost and provided you know how to configure your router to make this work)
Dual HDMI outputs which can be configured pretty much any which way. Intent is video direct to TV and second HDMI for audio to AVR. This caters for those of us who do not have 3D ready AVR's but you could also use them for audio/video to two zones.
Multitude of outputs which all work simultaneously. With my PS3 I only use HDMI. If I want to play networked music via PS3 I cannot do so in second zone (as AVR won't send HDMI signal to second zone).
Marvel chip is a better SD-DVD upscaler than PS3 (although the PS3 is no slouch in this department)
User selectable video configurations (ie brightness, contrast etc etc). You can setup three different ones and select as you desire. You can also do this on most TV's.
As a dedicated video and audio disc player there are a number of functions that the Oppo does that the PS3 doesn't. When listening to CD's select the track number on the remote and jump to that track. FFWD and REW is better than the PS3.
Discs can autostart without the need to logon (I know PS3 can do this, but there are about five users in my household so logon is done manually)
Oppo BDp-93 does not have a fan and consequently runs much quieter
Region Free mod chip available
Wireless N

There's probably others I haven't mentioned. If the bulk of the features I have mentioned aren't of interest, then it becomes a question of do you want a dedicated BD player in your setup. In that case there are plenty available for less than the Oppo that can do the job and let's not forget the PS3 is a pretty competent piece of equipment.

Cheers
blairy

#36 Skian

Skian

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 03:03 PM

I have the old fat ps3 with 60gig hdd. I should have been clearer so my apols. I'm not getting rid of my ps3 was more looking at getting a standalone bd player.

Thanks for the breakdown very helpful. I should also add i have the pio kuro 60 as my display and onkyo tx-nr3007 as my receiver

Edited by Skian, 23 December 2010 - 03:12 PM.

#37 Skian

Skian

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 03:22 PM

I was leaning towards the oppo due to the fact you can plug ntfs drives directly into it and it has wireless n.
Plus if my understanding is correct the audio from my old fat ps3 does not support the hd formats where as obviously the oppo does.

#38 blairy

blairy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 06:24 PM

I have the old fat ps3 with 60gig hdd. I should have been clearer so my apols. I'm not getting rid of my ps3 was more looking at getting a standalone bd player.

Thanks for the breakdown very helpful. I should also add i have the pio kuro 60 as my display and onkyo tx-nr3007 as my receiver

I'd urge you to check the AVS Forum thread. Some people have had issue with Pioneer gear (AVR's I think) and others with Onkyo (AVR's I think). not necessarily a show stopper but well with looking into.

#39 blairy

blairy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 06:28 PM

I was leaning towards the oppo due to the fact you can plug ntfs drives directly into it and it has wireless n.
Plus if my understanding is correct the audio from my old fat ps3 does not support the hd formats where as obviously the oppo does.

The fat PS3 (and I have one of these) supports all the new Hi Rez audio formats, however it converts them internally to PCM and sends PCM to your AVR. The AVR will display multi-channel (or similar). I'm not going to get into a discussin about the benefits of bitstreaming audio to the receiver as opposed to converting in your source equipment....each to their own. The Oppo BDP-93 will either bitstream and allow your AVR to decode or decode the sound and sendas PCM to your AVR.

blairy

#40 blairy

blairy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 06:38 PM

So I'm a little bit sick up and fed of testing things on my new BDP-93 :wacko: and actually am getting bloody serious about just simply playing stuff and enjoying it.

Done a fair bit of that with Bluray and DVD.

Earlier today went a bit berserk with some CD's...firstly via HDMI and then via SPDIF.

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Holy snapping ducks arseholes...the BDP-93 is absolutely phantasmagorical. Get yer ya-ya's out; Electric Ladyland and Caravanserai.

In prior testing and what not I'd picked late release CD's of decent quality.

These albums are somewhat dated and the BDP-93 shines.

And knock me down with a feather....the Pure Audio does make a difference :)

And yes, over theyears I've had some pretty flash CD players in my setup...the NAD BEE something named after the company founder...bloody nice piece of kit and sounded great...and going back over the years I've spent up to $1,000 on CD players. The BDP-93 trounces them all.

For the record...not a blind test; but after blowing myself away with CD's on the BDp-93 I threw one of them into the PS3, just for fun. A serious comparison simply wasn't possible. The PS3 simply is not in this league when it comes to CD playing.

Cheers
blairy

Edited by blairy, 23 December 2010 - 06:41 PM.

#41 Skian

Skian

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 07:19 PM

I'd urge you to check the AVS Forum thread. Some people have had issue with Pioneer gear (AVR's I think) and others with Onkyo (AVR's I think). not necessarily a show stopper but well with looking into.

Cheers mate will do :) and thanks for the other info on the audio as well!

#42 miata

miata

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 07:19 PM

Cheers miata :D

The aussie phrase is as you say it is, although sometimes stated as ...kick your shithouse door down...

However the poem and song (released in the 1970's) is along the lines of the following I Hope Your Chooks Turn Into Emus

Cheers
blairy

70's yes, from the movie The Adventures of Barry Mackenzie, starring Barry Crocker and Barry Humphries. The poem was I suspect, written by Barry Humphries.

#43 blairy

blairy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:48 PM

70's yes, from the movie The Adventures of Barry Mackenzie, starring Barry Crocker and Barry Humphries. The poem was I suspect, written by Barry Humphries.

Cheers miata. Wonder if it's available on BD with HiRez surround sound ;)

blairy

#44 miata

miata

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:29 AM

Cheers miata. Wonder if it's available on BD with HiRez surround sound ;)

blairy

Not flamin' likely! :lol:

Nah DVD only http://www.jbhifionl...mckenzie/270372

Edited by miata, 24 December 2010 - 08:32 AM.

#45 sejanus

sejanus

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:59 PM

my bdp-93 arrived on my doorstep 3 days after I ordered it! damn thats not a bad effort :)

I've plugged it in, it is working great. very fast, everything working fine, I'll wait until later though to really have a good look at the picture.

#46 Glennie

Glennie

AV Forum Member

• 63 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:43 PM

So I'm a little bit sick up and fed of testing things on my new BDP-93 :wacko: and actually am getting bloody serious about just simply playing stuff and enjoying it.

Done a fair bit of that with Bluray and DVD.

Earlier today went a bit berserk with some CD's...firstly via HDMI and then via SPDIF.

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Holy snapping ducks arseholes...the BDP-93 is absolutely phantasmagorical. Get yer ya-ya's out; Electric Ladyland and Caravanserai.

In prior testing and what not I'd picked late release CD's of decent quality.

These albums are somewhat dated and the BDP-93 shines.

And knock me down with a feather....the Pure Audio does make a difference :)

And yes, over theyears I've had some pretty flash CD players in my setup...the NAD BEE something named after the company founder...bloody nice piece of kit and sounded great...and going back over the years I've spent up to $1,000 on CD players. The BDP-93 trounces them all.

For the record...not a blind test; but after blowing myself away with CD's on the BDp-93 I threw one of them into the PS3, just for fun. A serious comparison simply wasn't possible. The PS3 simply is not in this league when it comes to CD playing.

Cheers
blairy

G'Day Blairy,
I think you have convinced me that this is what I want/need. Thanks for the report on CD quality of bdp-93 versus PS3. I think my PS3 will have to be relegated to the back of the rack now. I think the bdp-93 may be the way to go. BTW Merlin have just emailed to say one-off Group buy price of $795 for the bdp-93 including Zone free kit, 12 months warranty and Aus power cord. Offer will close mid January.
Regards,
Glenn

#47 blairy

blairy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:11 PM

my bdp-93 arrived on my doorstep 3 days after I ordered it! damn thats not a bad effort :)

I've plugged it in, it is working great. very fast, everything working fine, I'll wait until later though to really have a good look at the picture.

Welcome to the club and have a great Chirstmas :D

#48 blairy

blairy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:14 PM

G'Day Blairy,
I think you have convinced me that this is what I want/need. Thanks for the report on CD quality of bdp-93 versus PS3. I think my PS3 will have to be relegated to the back of the rack now. I think the bdp-93 may be the way to go. BTW Merlin have just emailed to say one-off Group buy price of $795 for the bdp-93 including Zone free kit, 12 months warranty and Aus power cord. Offer will close mid January.
Regards,
Glenn

Gattiweb has it listed for $980 :wacko: Gattiweb

The Merlin deal is looking very attractive.

And Glenn, it's not just CD's (although these are very impressive). DVD-A and SACD sound great too :)

#49 cwt

cwt

AV Forum Member

• 5,720 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 07:05 PM

Tried the NR with netflix and if it makes a difference it's not obvious to me. I understood the NR was best with SD-DVD's that were of a poorer quality.

Don't know about 83 FW prior to Christmas...they just announced the new 95 and have just officially released the 93.

blairy

Learnt something which probably explains why any macroblocking etc correction isnt much of a problem to you Blairy . You must have a pretty good download speed . If it has to buffer the signal to catch up the connection isnt the best it seems ;) Bob P said this ;

A limited portion of their streaming catalog is "HD". On the 93 that means the incoming video is 720p with one of various compression levels applied depending upon your network speed. The more compression, the worse the image looks even though the resolution stays at 720p. Compression will change automatically as needed to try to avoid having to pause and rebuffer the video stream.

If your networking is slow enough, the stream will revert to SD (480i) also at one of various compression levels.

#50 sejanus

sejanus

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 09:50 PM

merry xmas all. Have run a few discs through my 93 now - all worked fine & very fast except for the new avatar extended edition. It is unbelievably slow to load, sometimes it doesn't even load at all and just hangs at a black screen.

After a couple of goes it eventually arrived to the disc main menu and once the movie was started it was fine. But there's definitely a incompatibility with this disc.

This aside, the player is working beautifully. Super fast, and great PQ/AQ. I haven't bothered to fo any comparisons to my PS3 but all I can say so far is the output is excellent.