• Please log in to reply
1347 replies to this topic

#1 blairy

blairy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:04 PM

Arrived in post today - currently setting this beauty up.

blairy

#2 com5984

com5984

AV Forum Member

• 2,800 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:08 PM

Arrived in post today - currently setting this beauty up.

blairy

nice work mate, did you get it from oppo direct? How much?

#3 sejanus

sejanus

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:25 PM

web page still says coming soon - are you on some beta test thing?

#4 blairy

blairy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:27 PM

Got the link to the pre-release sale from someone on AVS forums.

Initially Oppo refused sale as they won't ship pre-release outside of USA and Canada.

Tried a second time and had Oppo ship it to a mate in Canada and he posted it to me.

#5 myrantz

myrantz

AV Forum Member

• 16,176 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:33 PM

Tried a second time and had Oppo ship it to a mate in Canada and he posted it to me.

Definitely a first for this forum.. Congrats...

#6 Benje

Benje

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:31 PM

bastard.....

I hope you have region B blu-rays.

benje

ps I look forward to your future posts, especially on flac and other such things, plus whether the 93 is as good or surpasses the 83. well done.

#7 bbar

bbar

AV Forum Member

• 6,896 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:19 PM

bastard.....

benje

ps I look forward to your future posts, especially on flac and other such things, plus whether the 93 is as good or surpasses the 83. well done.

I think you mean reg A Blu-rays though most Blu's are Multi-region anyway :lol:

Edited by bbar, 14 December 2010 - 07:20 PM.

#8 blairy

blairy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:32 PM

There is a pre-release thread over on AVS with plenty of people posting about issues and requests/suggestions for improvements.

Won't get too into that here as it may lead some people to think it's flawed...it's not, it's pre-release and is a work in progress.

Having said that I am one very happy camper, although this is probably just as much to do with the fact that I received my new toy and appear to one of the lucky first to do so :winky: Let's give it a days.

Currently playing a range of discs...BD, CD, HDCD, SACD and DVD-A. Bugger all issues and nothing of serious conseqence.

PQ is awesome (previous players PS3, Sharp BDHP20 - freebie with TV and Allure AL500D - bought for its mutil region capabilities; currently in box awaiting courier pick up for warranty repair). In a sense I may be coming off a low base with PQ but BDP93 is very good....out of the box. Looking forward to tweaking this.

blairy

#9 wheelz

wheelz

AV Forum Member

• 4,289 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:44 PM

I think you mean reg A Blu-rays though most Blu's are Multi-region anyway :lol:

Actually i think you'll find he did mean reg B ,that way he wouldnt be able to use it.(you missed the humour) ;) ;)

#10 bbar

bbar

AV Forum Member

• 6,896 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:33 AM

Actually i think you'll find he did mean reg B ,that way he wouldnt be able to use it.(you missed the humour) ;) ;)

I did :lol:

#11 yorac

yorac

AV Forum Member

• 24,283 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:18 AM

Currently playing a range of discs...BD, CD, HDCD, SACD and DVD-A. Bugger all issues and nothing of serious conseqence.

blairy

May I suggest playing one disc at a time............. :ninja:

#12 pbouzaid

pbouzaid

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:53 AM

Reading the AVS forum makes it sound like there are a few issues with this player. Why would anyone want to purchase a product that doesn't seem to be 100% tested?

Given we are still waiting for a firmware fix on the 83 to fix several issues (Alien Anth being the one that is pissing me off) I wonder what the turn around time for fixes on the 93 will be like...

#13 GrantleyBuffalo

GrantleyBuffalo

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:32 AM

Given we are still waiting for a firmware fix on the 83 to fix several issues (Alien Anth being the one that is pissing me off) I wonder what the turn around time for fixes on the 93 will be like...

It wouldn't surprise if they concentrate on fixes for the 93 as the priority for now.

#14 GSpot

GSpot

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:46 AM

Why would anyone want to purchase a product that doesn't seem to be 100% tested?

Because you can't buy a product that has been 100% tested. This is the digital age of "test it a bit. Sell it to the punter and perhaps fix issues as they arise...or give up and move to the newer product".

#15 cwt

cwt

AV Forum Member

• 5,639 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:40 PM

PQ is awesome (previous players PS3, Sharp BDHP20 - freebie with TV and Allure AL500D - bought for its mutil region capabilities; currently in box awaiting courier pick up for warranty repair). In a sense I may be coming off a low base with PQ but BDP93 is very good....out of the box. Looking forward to tweaking this.

blairy

Good stuff blairy ; will be interesting to see what you think of the sd upscaling coming from the mediatek hdmi 2 output against the qdeo's hdmi 1 . There still optimising the marvell it seems ;)

#16 blairy

blairy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:56 PM

Good stuff blairy ; will be interesting to see what you think of the sd upscaling coming from the mediatek hdmi 2 output against the qdeo's hdmi 1 . There still optimising the marvell it seems ;)

Yupp, marvell chip (or firmware for same) is still a work in progress. Of course my major difficulty with checking out DVD upscaling is my lack of region one discs...I own exactly one of these :D

Anyway, watched most of it last night...Pink Floyd The Wall...a long way from an awesome quality disc but the Oppo did a magnificent job with it. At times I felt like I was watching a BD and not a DVD. Mind you, one swallow a summer doth not make and whilst first impressions on a player that still requires work are positive, obviously some more rigorous testing is not inappropriate.

Apparently the NR facility is quite good. Had a crack at this with Pythons Life at the Hollywood Bowl. PQ on this is atrocious and no matter what you do, it will always be atrocious. Again, further testing of NR function is necessary.

Unfortunately, I've been out to a work Christmas Party tonight and my wife has taken over the audio/video room...further testing tonight is unlikely :( but I'm home Friday and looking forward to the weekend :)

#17 blairy

blairy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:33 PM

bastard.....

benje

...and best wishes to you too. To the tune of "may your chooks turn into emus and peck your dunnies down" may I say/sing (May your region B's turn into A's and peck your oppo down" :lol: All under the heading of sport of course.

And yes I have mostly region B's but a smattering of region A's...ignoring the box of about ten discs that arrived form Amazon on Monday...put away for Christmas ;)

Connected NTFS HDD via front USB port tonight. P{layed lossless WAV files flawlessly as well as FLAC files. Only have stereo FLAC files, some at fs of 44.1 and some at 96khz. All I played were flawless.

Haven't tried over network yet (although I think this is something - for FLAC - that is still a work in progress).

Cheers
blairy

#18 blairy

blairy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:48 AM

Hooked up ethernet cable last night...after the trials and tribulations of shopping for a new fridge with wife :wacko:

Must say netflix looks much better than expected. Apparently the marvel chip does wonders with streaming video and first impressions are that it is very good. Lined up some movies to look at later and will see how this goes.

blairy

Edited by blairy, 17 December 2010 - 10:20 AM.

#19 Benje

Benje

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 11:13 AM

...and best wishes to you too. To the tune of "may your chooks turn into emus and peck your dunnies down" may I say/sing (May your region B's turn into A's and peck your oppo down" :lol: All under the heading of sport of course.

And yes I have mostly region B's but a smattering of region A's...ignoring the box of about ten discs that arrived form Amazon on Monday...put away for Christmas ;)

Connected NTFS HDD via front USB port tonight. P{layed lossless WAV files flawlessly as well as FLAC files. Only have stereo FLAC files, some at fs of 44.1 and some at 96khz. All I played were flawless.

Haven't tried over network yet (although I think this is something - for FLAC - that is still a work in progress).

Cheers
blairy

Must not upgrade, I don't need to upgrade, I don't need to upgrade........I mus not check out analogue players, in case I can hear a difference, ....I don't need to upgrade. I am happy, now. I am still happy, now..... :huh:

thanks for the reviews blairy, it is interesting to hear. Especially as you run a 3808a. B)

benje (happy bdp-83 owner)

#20 cwt

cwt

AV Forum Member

• 5,639 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:47 PM

Hooked up ethernet cable last night...after the trials and tribulations of shopping for a new fridge with wife :wacko:

Must say netflix looks much better than expected. Apparently the marvel chip does wonders with streaming video and first impressions are that it is very good. Lined up some movies to look at later and will see how this goes.

blairy

Netflix may look even better now Blairy ;new firmware has improved all the sd material :) http://www.oppodigit...93-Support.aspx

Manual can now be downloaded as well. AVS post ;

Shouldnt the player be released VERY soon now that the manual and official FW is online? I emailed them and they said release could occcur as early as this monday

#21 blairy

blairy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 06:42 PM

Must not upgrade, I don't need to upgrade, I don't need to upgrade........I mus not check out analogue players, in case I can hear a difference, ....I don't need to upgrade. I am happy, now. I am still happy, now..... :huh:

thanks for the reviews blairy, it is interesting to hear. Especially as you run a 3808a. B)

benje (happy bdp-83 owner)

Oh go on Benje you know you'll love it B)

In all seriousness, if yu have the 83 I'd be thinking long and about upgrading. In terms of BD the 93 is at best on par. For DVD, differing viewpoints on varius forums, but some consider the ABT chip in the 83 to be a better chip for DVD than the Marvel in the 93. This may change before Oppo get to general release however the Marvel chip, albeit not exclusively, was selected for it's ability to enhance internet video (ie Netflix) as opposed to it's abilities with DVD (which are bloody good in my experience).

The 93 seems to do everything the 83 does, and add functions such as internet streaming and DLNA.

By and large if you're using the 83 for BD and DVD predominantly then I'd suggest the NEED for an upgrade is arguable unless you want (and can access) the additional streaming/DLAN features. Oh and don't forget eSATA connectivity; gotta have that :D

Edited by blairy, 19 December 2010 - 07:00 PM.

#22 blairy

blairy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 07:10 PM

Netflix may look even better now Blairy ;new firmware has improved all the sd material :) http://www.oppodigit...93-Support.aspx

Manual can now be downloaded as well. AVS post ;

Updated firmware yesterday...principal fix was to do with HDMI handshake issue with some receivers; wasn't aware they'd done anything to improve netflix quality.

Prior to FW upgrade and again this morning viewed quite a few movies/tv shows on netflix. Those I viewed are predominantly marked HD.

PQ for cartoons is acceptable but is definitely not HD quality.

PQ for movies (Centurion - which as a movie is bloody awful) was unacceptable; way too much pixellation. Tried this with both ethernet and wifi connections. Same result with Cloudy with Meatballs and some others...Saturday Night Live etc.

Not sure I'll persevere with netflix. PQ is barely acceptabe (although most in my household reckons it's OK) and SQ is stereo and not real flash.

Having said that Oppo apparently gets the serious upgrade to HD and surround sound in the first half of next year.

Perhaps it 's too early to judge just yet.

#23 blairy

blairy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 07:24 PM

Yes this is still being optimised and yesterday's FW update (as I understand it) had nothing to do with SD upgrading.

Having said that Friday night I watched large chunks of Iron Man (on a burnt DVD - region Free) and wow I was gob smacked. I know the movie reasonably well and for large chunks of the movie I could easily believe I was watching BD...very very impressed.

Having said that...to a degree I'm coming off a low base with DVD upscaling. Never owned the Oppo BDP83. Principally I've used XE1, 980 or PS3 (as per autosig).

Cheers
blairy

#24 cwt

cwt

AV Forum Member

• 5,639 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 07:52 PM

Updated firmware yesterday...principal fix was to do with HDMI handshake issue with some receivers; wasn't aware they'd done anything to improve netflix quality.

Prior to FW upgrade and again this morning viewed quite a few movies/tv shows on netflix. Those I viewed are predominantly marked HD.

PQ for cartoons is acceptable but is definitely not HD quality.

PQ for movies (Centurion - which as a movie is bloody awful) was unacceptable; way too much pixellation. Tried this with both ethernet and wifi connections. Same result with Cloudy with Meatballs and some others...Saturday Night Live etc.

Not sure I'll persevere with netflix. PQ is barely acceptabe (although most in my household reckons it's OK) and SQ is stereo and not real flash.

Having said that Oppo apparently gets the serious upgrade to HD and surround sound in the first half of next year.

Perhaps it 's too early to judge just yet.

It was something Bob Pariseau [beta tester] said Blairy ; a lot of comments about the scaling with the earlier firmware

http://www.avsforum....31#post19667431
http://www.avsforum....26#post19667526

Any luck with the various noise reduction/ macroblocking algorithms that the marvell has for cleaning up bitstarved sources like netflix ? I saw someone had one parameter at + 2 but cant recall which one ..
Will be interesting how netflix goes when the get 1080 line streaming going [or was that blockbuster not sure :huh: ] I hope they get some 83 firmware love out before Xmas :mellow:

#25 blairy

blairy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:30 AM

It was something Bob Pariseau [beta tester] said Blairy ; a lot of comments about the scaling with the earlier firmware

http://www.avsforum....31#post19667431
http://www.avsforum....26#post19667526

Any luck with the various noise reduction/ macroblocking algorithms that the marvell has for cleaning up bitstarved sources like netflix ? I saw someone had one parameter at + 2 but cant recall which one ..
Will be interesting how netflix goes when the get 1080 line streaming going [or was that blockbuster not sure :huh: ] I hope they get some 83 firmware love out before Xmas :mellow:

Tried the NR with netflix and if it makes a difference it's not obvious to me. I understood the NR was best with SD-DVD's that were of a poorer quality.

Don't know about 83 FW prior to Christmas...they just announced the new 95 and have just officially released the 93.

blairy