• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Swaami

Swaami

AV Forum Member

• 54 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:06 PM

Hi Folks,
I downloaded Firmware 3.55 and it got to 99% on the installation and then froze for about 5 minutes. It then came up with an error message 8002F310 and recommended switching off and removing the power cord and try again after a while. Did that and every time it powers on it goes straight into the install process with same result. It suggested I contact tech support if this didnít work. I also tried getting to safe mode but it wouldnít, and the only thing you can do whilst in this loop is switch off at the back.

I contacted tech support and they didn't know the error code and said I need to send it in for service for $250. I wasnít too happy with this as it was the firmware update that stuffed it, so he suggested I could try to remove the HDD. I asked if Iíd lose the data & he told me from what Iíd told him it was already lost.

So I did some research on the net and worked out a way to fix it and I have not lost any data. Hereís how I did it. Hope it works for any other unfortunates out there.
Basically, you need to get it out of the Ďinstallation loopí which starts as soon as you turn it on. (fully switch off to start-not on standby)

First I downloaded the system update I was originally trying to install, on to a USB stick and stuck it in the PS3 USB port (make sure the firmware update is in a folder named UPDATE inside another folder named PS3 on the USB or it wonít find it). Then to get ready for action I opened the HDD port on the PS3 and unscrewed the blue screw with a Phillips head screwdriver.

Now switch on the PS3. As soon as the update starts, pull out the HDD (take off the small casing to reveal metal HDD, then pull). The update will get to roughly 10%-25%. It will then display an error screen with a countdown. Leave HDD out!

Let the countdown run out. Will then restart (with HDD still out) When it turns back on it will ask if you want to restart the system by pressing the PS button or install the update using a flash drive (by pressing the select & start button at the same time) . Push the HDD back in. I tried the PS button option first but it didnít work, but hey it might for you so give it a try. If it doesnít restart it comes back to the same screen again so no problems. Say yes to install using flash drive (press select & start).
From here it searched for and loaded the update and then takes you to the agreement for the update. I agreed & it installed. It did stop for a while again on 99% but then after a few minutes went to 100% and asked me to confirm HDMI etc.

Everything came back with all my data and game saves etc (although I havenít fully tested everything, but hey it works and cost nothing). NOTE-I then backed up my HDD to an external drive-which I was actually trying to do when it told me to update-so recommend people do this to save all the worry about losing everything...

I also have to thank Schmll and particularly Elbex91 on page 2 & 3 of a thread entitled Ďstuck in system update loop error 8002F1F0í on the official playstation tech help thread for getting me most of the way. The last step didnít work for me but the rest is pretty much the same, so check out that thread for some good info about things to try if this doesnít work for you.
Good luck

#2 DansDans

DansDans

AV Forum Member

• 2,743 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:20 AM

Good post - good to have here

I'm always amazed about how little the tech support bunnies will tell you over the phone. Surely good customer services is to advise the client how to fix to machine, not to rip them off $250 (or, in my case $320)

Hope is all good for you now mate

#3 piccard21

piccard21

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:03 AM

Edited by piccard21, 14 December 2010 - 05:03 AM.

#4 Swaami

Swaami

AV Forum Member

• 54 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 10:59 AM

Good post - good to have here

I'm always amazed about how little the tech support bunnies will tell you over the phone. Surely good customer services is to advise the client how to fix to machine, not to rip them off $250 (or, in my case $320)

Hope is all good for you now mate

Yes, particularly as the bulk of info I needed was on their own tech support forums. Obviously each worker bee wouldn't have the time to read the forums, but you'd think they'd have someone scan them occassionaly to see if there is any useful info and make a tip sheet for the support staff, even if it's just to tell people "go check this forum..."

The cynic in me says that paying someone to scan the forums costs money AND they lose out on all the profits from those who pay them $250-$320 for the service.

Yep, all is well. I have just changed the hard drive from a 40 to 500gb. (what I was wanting to do initially, which got me into the mess illustrated above...) The restore of backed up data literally just finished. A quick flick just then seems to suggest all copied across OK. Time for a game or two to check it out thoroughly.

#5 pezz

pezz

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:04 PM

Thanks for nothing, it didn't work and I've lost everything.

#6 Swaami

Swaami

AV Forum Member

• 54 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:20 PM

I am sorry to hear that, and hope my post didn't cause the loss, but simply failed to fix the error.
Reading over it again, perhaps i should have called it 'how I fixed a PS3...' so it does not seem like a definitive fix, just what worked for me.
It took me 3 days of trial and error in which i thought i had also lost all my data before i worked out the above and lucked out on a fix, so can kind of understand how crappy it would be.
Maybe the gurus on the tech forums could still help? I hope so.

#7 Serj

Serj

AV Forum Member

• 5 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:20 PM

Kinda hoping to find help here.

Just got stuck in this damn loop with 8002f310 error, Now I tried to follow your instructions but bumped into another brick wall. You say "

The update will get to roughly 10%-25%. It will then display an error screen with a countdown. Leave HDD out!

Let the countdown run out. Will then restart (with HDD still out) When it turns back on it will ask if you want to restart the system

"

Well, up untill getting error everything's ok, but after the countdown rans out and system reboots, all I get is a notification "Cannot start. The appropriate system storage was not found". Obviously, that happens because HDD is out. I don't get to choose the "install the update using a flash drive" option. Am I doing something wrong or am I just doomed?

#8 rfa

rfa

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:49 AM

is the USB stick still plugged in? Isn't it supposed to boot from that?

#9 Serj

Serj

AV Forum Member

• 5 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:06 AM

Thanks for replying :)

Yep, USB stick is still plugged in. All of the folders are named correctly, so there really shouldn't be no problem with booting the update from the flash drive.

#10 windeath

windeath

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:18 AM

This latest 4.50 update is a dog. I've attempted 5 times to install it and it gets to 99% and just hangs there. The last attempt I left the PS3 on for about 80 mins and came back and it was still sitting there on 99%. Roll on PS4.

#11 DansDans

DansDans

AV Forum Member

• 2,743 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:07 PM

This latest 4.50 update is a dog. I've attempted 5 times to install it and it gets to 99% and just hangs there. The last attempt I left the PS3 on for about 80 mins and came back and it was still sitting there on 99%. Roll on PS4.

Odd.. mine installed in next to no time

Sorry to hear dude

#12 rfa

rfa

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:17 PM

Thanks for replying :)

Yep, USB stick is still plugged in. All of the folders are named correctly, so there really shouldn't be no problem with booting the update from the flash drive.

Sorry can't help more. Maybe start again with 4.50, HDD and USB in? Mine updated in ~5 minutes...

#13 windeath

windeath

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:22 PM

Ok the stuck at 99% issue with the 4.50 update is a known problem. The web is full of threads about it. Jesus Sony...it's called QA.

** Problem solved. I left it stuck at 99% for about an hour and all of a sudden it tipped over to 100% and has started the install. Geez what a pain **

Edited by windeath, 03 October 2013 - 10:33 PM.

#14 Serj

Serj

AV Forum Member

• 5 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:53 PM

Ok the stuck at 99% issue with the 4.50 update is a known problem. The web is full of threads about it. Jesus Sony...it's called QA.

** Problem solved. I left it stuck at 99% for about an hour and all of a sudden it tipped over to 100% and has started the install. Geez what a pain **

It's great and all, but this thread is about the 8002f310 error, which comes up after installation fails at 99%.

Sorry can't help more. Maybe start again with 4.50, HDD and USB in? Mine updated in ~5 minutes...

Installation file is probably damaged, so restarting won't really help, I tried only like 10 times T_T Anyway, probably gonna format my HDD and say goodbye to GTA V saves, dammit.

#15 windeath

windeath

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:01 PM

It's great and all, but this thread is about the 8002f310 error, which comes up after installation fails at 99%.

Mine has just now done the 8002f310 error. So you can sit back down and relax knowing that I'm getting the same error and my posts are now 100% relevant.

#16 Serj

Serj

AV Forum Member

• 5 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:48 AM

Mine has just now done the 8002f310 error. So you can sit back down and relax knowing that I'm getting the same error and my posts are now 100% relevant.

Welcome to the club then. Let's all get our party hats on.

#17 windeath

windeath

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:00 AM

Let's all get our party hats on.

I can now. I fixed it.

Update on USB. Put old HDD back in the PS3. Updated to 4.50. Took old HDD out. Put 500GB back in. Updated to 4.50. Back in action. Pain in the arse but I have too much invested in this sucker to just format the drive and start again.

#18 Serj

Serj

AV Forum Member

• 5 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:45 PM

I can now. I fixed it.

Update on USB. Put old HDD back in the PS3. Updated to 4.50. Took old HDD out. Put 500GB back in. Updated to 4.50. Back in action. Pain in the arse but I have too much invested in this sucker to just format the drive and start again.

Well, I don't have any spare 2.5" SATA HDD's laying around, and buying one is really not an option. Enjoy your party hat, I'm gonna hate Sony and try my vodoo magic on it for what it's done.

#19 windeath

windeath

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:02 PM

Well, I don't have any spare 2.5" SATA HDD's laying around, and buying one is really not an option. Enjoy your party hat, I'm gonna hate Sony and try my vodoo magic on it for what it's done.

I spent about an hour on umpteen forums trying to find the least "give me the shits" way of getting that damned update on. This method was the only one that didn't involve a complete format of the drive and start all over again.

#20 bhawks687

bhawks687

AV Forum Member

• 1 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:15 PM

I need to know if this actually works 100% before I try it. I'm not trying to back anything up or install a different hard drive. I was just updating my ps3 and got the error code. Tried following the on screen prompts a few times but no luck. I don't want to do anything unless I know for sure I won't lose all my save data.

#21 Swaami

Swaami

AV Forum Member

• 54 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:23 AM

Hi guys, sorry I haven't replied. Haven't been lurking lately and thanks Windeath for picking up the slack.
bhawks, I cannot ensure you
it will work, but I did spend a whole weekend on this, including removing the hard drive multiple times, rebooting with it in and out etc. I basically tried stuff and if it didn't work, went back to forums to get other ideas. The above method eventually worked for me (but obviously not for pezz, unfortunately...). So no guarantee...
Pretty sure I turned it off between 'sessions' as I was determined to try all avenues before reformatting and trashing my data. So I would try stuff then just leave it until I had the patience to try again. So it seems unlikely you lose the data unless you actually reformat it (I assume)
I am guessing that different firmware updates introduce slightly different issues which is why there is no one 'fixall' But reading around and trying different things people suggest from all the other firmware horror stories may yield a solution for you.
Also, be patient. It would sit for ages at certain spots then continue. Good luck...

#22 arkolly

arkolly

AV Forum Member

• 1 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:11 AM

Thank you SO MUCH! i was starting to think i had bricked my PS3 in a way. You have saved my ps3 and solved many other problems such as flashing green blotches over the screen... and the constant freezing. Thanks again! If you ever need something like an intro or GFX, add me on skype : Arkolly :D