• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 evil_ss

evil_ss

AV Forum Member

• 23 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:14 AM

Hi guys.
Im just about to purchase a samsung ps58c7000. Now i have a yamaha rxv 661 currently. Because it isnt capable of switching HDMI 1.4, what are my options to utilise the TV?
Im really peeved that my amp is pretty much useless now, because i cant switch the 3d output from the ps3 into the TV.
If the ps3 had two hdmi outputs or something crazy it would be ok. If i hook the ps3 into the amp then hdmi output into the TV what will happen?
Is my only option to buy a new receiver?

Thankyou so much in advance
John

#2 bbar

bbar

AV Forum Member

• 6,893 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:23 AM

Hi guys.
Im just about to purchase a samsung ps58c7000. Now i have a yamaha rxv 661 currently. Because it isnt capable of switching HDMI 1.4, what are my options to utilise the TV?
Im really peeved that my amp is pretty much useless now, because i cant switch the 3d output from the ps3 into the TV.
If the ps3 had two hdmi outputs or something crazy it would be ok. If i hook the ps3 into the amp then hdmi output into the TV what will happen?
Is my only option to buy a new receiver?

Thankyou so much in advance
John

Basically you can
1) get a blu-player with 2 HDMI's for 3D; or
2) get a HDMI switch and go direct to TV when 3D titles are viewed and into PVR otherwise; or
3) get a new AVR.

If it were me I would go with Option 2 and then either option 1 or 2 if money was not an issue.

#3 youngstar

youngstar

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:26 AM

Think you have a couple more options but may not be what you are looking for;

1) Connect PS3 direct to TV with HDMI 1.4 for 3D video & then run optical to the 661 for audio (no HD audio though only lossy Dolby Digital or plain DTS)

2) Purchase another Bluray player with dual HDMI out (eg. Panasonic 300 or Oppo BD93). 1 x HDMI to TV for video and 2nd HDMI to 661 for audio.

youngstar

#4 Hi-Fi Whipped

Hi-Fi Whipped

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:43 AM

Think you have a couple more options but may not be what you are looking for;

1) Connect PS3 direct to TV with HDMI 1.4 for 3D video & then run optical to the 661 for audio (no HD audio though only lossy Dolby Digital or plain DTS)
youngstar

Pretty sure I read that the when using the PS3 for 3D you cant pass the HD audio at the same time anyway so you wont missout with this method.

Could be wrong though!

#5 evil_ss

evil_ss

AV Forum Member

• 23 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:13 PM

Basically you can
1) get a blu-player with 2 HDMI's for 3D; or
2) get a HDMI switch and go direct to TV when 3D titles are viewed and into PVR otherwise; or
3) get a new AVR.

If it were me I would go with Option 2 and then either option 1 or 2 if money was not an issue.

If i use option 2 that still wouldnt allow me to have HD audio at the same time as 3d video would it?

Pretty sure I read that the when using the PS3 for 3D you cant pass the HD audio at the same time anyway so you wont missout with this method.

Could be wrong though!

YOUR KIDDING ME!, so you would have to pass the audio through optical anyway?

#6 evil_ss

evil_ss

AV Forum Member

• 23 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 02:58 PM

If i use option 2 that still wouldnt allow me to have HD audio at the same time as 3d video would it?

YOUR KIDDING ME!, so you would have to pass the audio through optical anyway?

just had a quick google, and it looks like no HD audio with 3d on the PS3. That is such a downer. So in reality i need ot buy a new player and an amp..
But if i get a 3d blu-ray player with dual HDMI outputs then I could keep my current amp.
Any opinions?

#7 bbar

bbar

AV Forum Member

• 6,893 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 03:09 PM

just had a quick google, and it looks like no HD audio with 3d on the PS3. That is such a downer. So in reality i need ot buy a new player and an amp..
But if i get a 3d blu-ray player with dual HDMI outputs then I could keep my current amp.
Any opinions?

You got it!

If u can accept no HD audio with 3D then a switch is fine. If not then a 3D player with 2 HDMI's has to be the cheapest followed by changing player and AMP.

Personally I would get the switch for now and when 3D takes off re titles and if still prefer 3D then would go with a dual HDMI BD player.

#8 evil_ss

evil_ss

AV Forum Member

• 23 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 03:21 PM

You got it!

If u can accept no HD audio with 3D then a switch is fine. If not then a 3D player with 2 HDMI's has to be the cheapest followed by changing player and AMP.

Personally I would get the switch for now and when 3D takes off re titles and if still prefer 3D then would go with a dual HDMI BD player.

well i really want to use the seven speakers to full effect. Does the panasonic DMP-BDT300 output the audio in HDMI 1.3? Would i be correct in saying the 661 wouldnt accdept the audio hdmi from the panasonic? Im unsure if it outputs in 1.4 for the audio side of things

Edited by evil_ss, 17 November 2010 - 03:30 PM.

#9 davep

davep

AV Forum Member

• 3,506 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 03:57 PM

I assume you're using the PS3 to decode the HD audio for you anyway as the 661b doesnt decode the HD audio codecs itself. Does the lack of HD audio when playing back 3d titles extend to LPCM transfer?

I'd look at a dual HDMI output BR player as the simplest solution and keep the ps3 just for gaming.

#10 evil_ss

evil_ss

AV Forum Member

• 23 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 04:12 PM

I assume you're using the PS3 to decode the HD audio for you anyway as the 661b doesnt decode the HD audio codecs itself. Does the lack of HD audio when playing back 3d titles extend to LPCM transfer?

I'd look at a dual HDMI output BR player as the simplest solution and keep the ps3 just for gaming.

I think i will get a dual HDMI player. As above i just want to know if the 661 will accept the audio hdmi from the panasonic

#11 cwt

cwt

AV Forum Member

• 5,630 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 04:47 PM

I think i will get a dual HDMI player. As above i just want to know if the 661 will accept the audio hdmi from the panasonic

Yes the pana will decode the lossless codecs to lpcm for the 661 ; the oppo bdp93 will be released soon as well for a bit more :)

#12 Hi-Fi Whipped

Hi-Fi Whipped

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:44 PM

Any opinions?

I love it when I am right for once! :D

I agree with the others, get the cheapest dual 3D BD player you can find that has dual HDMI outs.

Edited by Hi-Fi Whipped, 17 November 2010 - 09:11 PM.

#13 dd4321

dd4321

AV Forum Member

• 14 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 08:44 AM

I have the same issue and is now thinking to get HDMI 1.4 compatible splitter from EZYHD, from memory $88. Has anyone tried this before?

#14 Space Hi-Fi

Space Hi-Fi

AV Forum Member

• 44 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:35 PM

I am not sure if my thoughts are right here but since the PS3 is equipped with HDMI v1.3 and can only output 3D content at 1080i, would there be a possibility that HDMI v1.3 AVR's could pass on the signal? My guess is yes but I would need to test it for confirmation.

Then if that is the case, simply let the PS3 decode the HD audio and everything is good to go... I hope... ? Any further clarification on this suggestion?

#15 Duckboy

Duckboy

AV Forum Member

• 6 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:50 PM

I have the same issue and is now thinking to get HDMI 1.4 compatible splitter from EZYHD, from memory $88. Has anyone tried this before?

I just purchased that very device - it actually says "HDMI 1.3b compliant" on it, and "3D ready" aswell.
1 in, 2 out, uses a 5V transformed power source for the little box.
The big question - DOES IT WORK?
I haven't tried 3D yet (no disc to try), but normal blurays play fine, with HDMI audio to my yammy V861 and HDMI video to my sammy 55" TV.
I double checked the video source to the TV was definitely coming from the splitter by disconnecting the other HDMI cable i have running from the V861 to the TV (which normally carries signal for PVR / PC etc).

and the TV detects the BD player getting turned on aswell so it all seems to be happy i think.

So yeah, if you're still reading the forum, grab one and it will solve your problems!

#16 Duckboy

Duckboy

AV Forum Member

• 6 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:20 PM

Update : tried the splitter box today with a 3D bluray disc.
The box transmits the 3D signal fine, but with 3D going to my TV, the Yammy 861 refused to play any audio through HDMI. I could only get audio by playing signal via my TV optical output.

If I turn off the 3D, then the HDMI audio would work.
And every time the disc would stop, or resume from menu, the TV's av input would want to switch to the 861 throughput HDMI signal. Turning off the TV anynet fixed that

all in all... For this purpose, it was a waste of money.

#17 Space Hi-Fi

Space Hi-Fi

AV Forum Member

• 44 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:55 PM

I am not sure if my thoughts are right here but since the PS3 is equipped with HDMI v1.3 and can only output 3D content at 1080i, would there be a possibility that HDMI v1.3 AVR's could pass on the signal? My guess is yes but I would need to test it for confirmation.

Then if that is the case, simply let the PS3 decode the HD audio and everything is good to go... I hope... ? Any further clarification on this suggestion?

I know this is an old thread. However, I just stumbled across this again and thought I should correct the error that I have made with the post above. Previously, it was not the resolution that was sacrificed when playing 3D content with a PS3, it was HD audio. However, this has also changed via a firmware update some time back and the PS3 now supports 3D perfectly (1080p) with HD audio.

#18 starsky

starsky

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:22 PM

I know this is an old thread. However, I just stumbled across this again and thought I should correct the error that I have made with the post above. Previously, it was not the resolution that was sacrificed when playing 3D content with a PS3, it was HD audio. However, this has also changed via a firmware update some time back and the PS3 now supports 3D perfectly (1080p) with HD audio.

Thanks for updating the thread with this, as I am shopping for a new amp, and nearly added a new blu ray player to my list.