• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#26 geezer32

geezer32

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 12:29 PM

Thanks Rob, I may stick with full output size, time is the issue and with HDD storage being so cheap it makes it an easier thing to accept having 30GB files.

Hmm correction, just looked more closely at the rip with pavtube I did. PQ is shite on 'The Box' compressed down to 8gb file

Still don't agree that HDD are that cheap, but I've given up for now on s/w compressing. its either too slow or they dont work properly

#27 Hi-Fi Whipped

Hi-Fi Whipped

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 05:06 PM

Still don't agree that HDD are that cheap, but I've given up for now on s/w compressing. its either too slow or they dont work properly

About $2 to store a 30GB file is cheap in my book.

Edited by Hi-Fi Whipped, 19 December 2010 - 05:08 PM.

#28 infected flow

infected flow

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 01:30 PM

It may be cheap but the initial setup for a storage device like a file server is expensive even when you do have 8gb files but then again 8gb is acceptable but not great! most blurays are around the 30-45gb mark so your looking at something like a 40-60% percent loss.

If you get rid of the black bars top and bottom screen also sub titles you should end up with around a 20gb file obviously with some compression

try

mkvmerge v4.4.0 and encode it to a VC-1 file (ReMux = Combining Video + AudioStream but get rid of subtitles) by the end of it you should get a decent file still around the 20gb file.

#29 50MXE20

50MXE20

AV Forum Member

• 23,206 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 05:46 PM

It may be cheap but the initial setup for a storage device like a file server is expensive even when you do have 8gb files but then again 8gb is acceptable but not great! most blurays are around the 30-45gb mark so your looking at something like a 40-60% percent loss.

By my reckoning it might be $6 per movie on a RAID 5 NAS.

#30 infected flow

infected flow

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:36 AM

By my reckoning it might be $6 per movie on a RAID 5 NAS.

lol it does depend on how big the nas is....hahahahah

#31 geezer32

geezer32

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:03 AM

For the 1st 15 movies maybe. then what? , but it doesnt cost $2 for a multi- drive NAS system with RAID

#32 50MXE20

50MXE20

AV Forum Member

• 23,206 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:21 PM

For the 1st 15 movies maybe. then what? , but it doesnt cost $2 for a multi- drive NAS system with RAID

I was working on $600 for the NAS and 4 2 Tb drives for $400.
$1000 total.
Then divided the space available by 30 Gbytes/
Might be a tad low.

#33 unclewhimsy

unclewhimsy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:22 PM

Just a simple question to the BD ripping brains trust... I have ripped a BD using AnyDVD HD and have the movie split across a number of m2ts files (and don't know which ones). What is the best software to get the m2ts files merged back together and possibly reduce the overall size or is this asking two questions answered by two different tasks??

David.

PS Not PC genius so simple answers using simple software/GUI only!!

#34 geezer32

geezer32

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:27 AM

Just a simple question to the BD ripping brains trust... I have ripped a BD using AnyDVD HD and have the movie split across a number of m2ts files (and don't know which ones). What is the best software to get the m2ts files merged back together and possibly reduce the overall size or is this asking two questions answered by two different tasks??

David.

I always rip to an ISO file. I can't see any point at all for extracting to a folder structure that some people like to do. More often than not the m2ts files are not in a single file as well if you're after just the raw data file.
An iso everything is in one file and you are sure all the menus and forced subs are going to work properly which is not guaranteed with the m2ts file only. You can choose either option with anydvd.

#35 unclewhimsy

unclewhimsy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:39 PM

I always rip to an ISO file. I can't see any point at all for extracting to a folder structure that some people like to do. More often than not the m2ts files are not in a single file as well if you're after just the raw data file.
An iso everything is in one file and you are sure all the menus and forced subs are going to work properly which is not guaranteed with the m2ts file only. You can choose either option with anydvd.

Thanks, but doesn't an ISO file contain menus etc? All I want is the main feature reduceed to a reasonable size. I was using XVID4PSP to reduce my m2ts file but I cant do this when the main feature is spresad across multiple m2ts files. I even tried MergeMKV and it didn't like m2ts files!!!!

David.

#36 50MXE20

50MXE20

AV Forum Member

• 23,206 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:44 PM

Thanks, but doesn't an ISO file contain menus etc? All I want is the main feature reduceed to a reasonable size. I was using XVID4PSP to reduce my m2ts file but I cant do this when the main feature is spresad across multiple m2ts files. I even tried MergeMKV and it didn't like m2ts files!!!!

David.

As stated above, check out clown_bd and bd_rebuild.

#37 mgrobins

mgrobins

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 07:49 AM

Hi,

lots of great advice in here thanks :).

I have a different question of sorts....

I'd like to know what arrangements I can make with my current hardware setup to stream BR movies.

I have:

NAS (QNAP)
Oppo BD-83
Toshiba HD XE-1
Integra DTR 7.8
Playstation 3

I am interested in storing these at 1:1 movie only with HD audio if possible.

I have region A and B discs (oppo is region modded). If I can't remove region coding then that's no issue though as most of my films are local purchase or UK.

Some suggestions in how to rip these and what I can play them on would be very welcome :). I am a tech savvy person but have no experience with this.

I don't have a BR reader yet.... am looking at what my hardware will do for me first :). Is there a preferred brand/model?

#38 geezer32

geezer32

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 08:49 AM

David.

Not neccisarily, you can extract movie only without extras and menus etc to an iso. I use DVDFAB for this with no compression. The advantage of keeping ISO format is as you mentioned, most titles now are broken into many m2ts files so you get a single file. Subs will also work always too which is not the case with raw m2ts. If you want to comress down, then thats another issue. Most if any of the progs mentioned in this thread such as clown don't keep the HD audio intact though.

I think though if you are using an XVID codec to compress the movies, you are wasting your time, and may as well start with a 4gb DVD as the image will be degraded so much by converting to xvid

#39 Steve C

Steve C

AV Forum Member

• 4,531 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:15 AM

Playstation 3

You haven't tried PS3 Media server?

Using Clown_BD (with AnyDVD HD) I've been able to rip Blu-ray disks to hard-disk then stream to my PS3 via PS3 Media Server. Hasn't worked too perfection just yet, because I haven't had time to really sit down and figure out every last permutation that will give perfection, but so far a 75% success rate after ripping six blu-ray movies to hard disk.

The audio is HD in case you're wondering... streamed to a 5.1 speaker system via a HDMI connected Integra.

The PS3 is actually a damned fine media streamer when used with PS3 media server...

Have a Happy New Year!!! :D

#40 souwalker

souwalker

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:48 AM

I have a QNAP NAS with all my ripped BR disks.

I use AnyDVD HD and ClownBD and only extract the movie and the HD audio and stream via ehternet from my eGreat player. OUTSTANDING! No compression whatsoever so quality is same as the original BR disk.

#41 Herbernator

Herbernator

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 11:39 AM

How do I extract the raw audio (2 channel PCM) from a BD into a WAVE file?

Any apps that can do this easily?

Treblind, the easiest -by far- is a prog called "DVD Audio Extractor"
It'll convert 2.0 and 5.1 into 2 channel wav/mp3 (you choose)

I've done the DVD decrypter, demux etc.etc. and it is a pain!!!
I've used besweet, and most of the others. (also a pain)

This is the program you want. http://www.castudio....audioextractor/
Put the disc in, select a few options, and away you go, no demuxing, no conversions, it is all done for you!
Note: the program is Shareware.... (you'll need to pay after a period of time) I've only used the non-paid version. (I did many discs before the expiry date)

Herbernator.

#42 mgrobins

mgrobins

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 03:13 PM

Thanks for the info.

I decided to head down the path of a NMT (popcorn hour C-200) rather than just streaming to my ps3.

I can fit 2 HDD's in it since I don't need a BR drive so it will provide expanded storage (and save me from expanding my NAS which I was leaning toward).

So... 2x 1.5TB WD greens will go in the C-200 and new Samsung 2 TB F4 in the NAS.

Incidentally 2 things I found in my recent internet and shopping travels....

1. the samsung 2 TB F4 (green) drive has bad f/w. in a raid array certain SMART commands result in the cache being flushed without writing data. This means you ccan have errors and they will never be highlighted. A new f/w is available from samsung as of 12 Dec.

I mention this because they are currently the best priced 2 TB and a good bulk storage option so many folks may have them.

2. The BR drive I bought was "Riplocked" which means it would only read at 3x when ripping.... and take a bloody long time to do it. I used a small program to remove this limitation and am now ripping at up to 7x.

Link here for a discussion: http://ala42.cdfreaks.com/MCSE/

incidentally you can also use this to make your drive region free (DVD only since BR is done in the software).

#43 rosewick

rosewick

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:44 PM

Just bee reading thru this old topic. Much has changes in the past 12 months.

Blu ray Burners and blank discs have become lots cheaper making creating backup disks far more viable.

Big problem is finding suitable, easy to use software to backup blu ray discs.

Anybody have any solutions????????

Have looked on the net and downloaded many alternatives, but as yet no software that will decrypt and burn a blu ray in one package

I appreciate they are making it more and more difficult to create a backup disc like you can with a CD or ordinary DVD, but surely someone has come up with easy to use, legitimate software so we don't have to use the original blu ray all the time as regardless of how well you look after a disc somehow ugly scratches and dirt seem to jump onto them somehow.

#44 jeffpr

jeffpr

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:33 PM

Just bee reading thru this old topic. Much has changes in the past 12 months.

Blu ray Burners and blank discs have become lots cheaper making creating backup disks far more viable.

Big problem is finding suitable, easy to use software to backup blu ray discs.

Anybody have any solutions????????

Have looked on the net and downloaded many alternatives, but as yet no software that will decrypt and burn a blu ray in one package

I appreciate they are making it more and more difficult to create a backup disc like you can with a CD or ordinary DVD, but surely someone has come up with easy to use, legitimate software so we don't have to use the original blu ray all the time as regardless of how well you look after a disc somehow ugly scratches and dirt seem to jump onto them somehow.

i use dvd fab blu-ray copy [$50 to buy] all in one package .it connects back to dvd fab via internet each time you copy so it can get the decryption files for that particular disc. i also have 4 bd-re 50 gb discs to repeatedly copy to . it can also copy 3d blu-ray.

Edited by jeffpr, 06 January 2012 - 08:34 PM.

#45 rosewick

rosewick

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:55 AM

i use dvd fab blu-ray copy [$50 to buy] all in one package .it connects back to dvd fab via internet each time you copy so it can get the decryption files for that particular disc. i also have 4 bd-re 50 gb discs to repeatedly copy to . it can also copy 3d blu-ray.

Thanks jeffpr, will download a copy and give it a go.

Just bought as few 25gb blank disks from HN and the price had dropped from $10 to $3.95 a disk. Still expensive but at least the price is going in the right direction. Will have to wait to get to the big smoke to get a R/W BD. Out here in the scrub I would just get a very blank look from the salesperson if I asked for one. A 50gb blank disk is even asking a bit much.

#46 mrdenn1s

mrdenn1s

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:30 PM

David.

To rip BD, you only need 2 pieces of software

1) ANY DVD HD to extract the files
2) ClownBD to put them back together however you want them

That is all

#47 rosewick

rosewick

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 03:11 PM

To rip BD, you only need 2 pieces of software

1) ANY DVD HD to extract the files
2) ClownBD to put them back together however you want them

That is all

Just had a go at DVDfab so far seems to be the ideal software for the job and all in 1 package. Pretty simple to use even if you want to convert files from one type to another and back again, but for me who just wants to make backup copies of blu-ray discs it seems to be the answer. No loss of quality either.

Then again check out this link and you can make up your own mind.

http://blu-ray-to-bl...tenreviews.com/

Edited by rosewick, 08 January 2012 - 08:14 AM.

#48 Ian13

Ian13

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:49 PM

Just had a go at DVDfab so far seems to be the ideal software for the job and all in 1 package. Pretty simple to use even if you want to convert files from one type to another and back again, but for me who just wants to make backup copies of blu-ray discs it seems to be the answer. No loss of quality either.

Then again check out this link and you can make up your own mind.

http://blu-ray-to-bl...tenreviews.com/

But DVDFab does not convert to ISO disc image files according to the comparison chart on that website and correct me if i am totally wrong here, but isn't that what is needed to make a 1:1 exact copy of your blu ray disc's?

The programs that finished in the top 3 (gold ,silver and bronze awards) only the silver awarded Leawo Blu ray copy program converts to ISO image files.

I am new to all this and am also looking for the right program to backup my large collection of blu ray movies ( i want an exact 1:1 copy with all menus, HD video and HD audio quality)

#49 cwt

cwt

AV Forum Member

• 5,629 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:49 PM

But DVDFab does not convert to ISO disc image files according to the comparison chart on that website and correct me if i am totally wrong here, but isn't that what is needed to make a 1:1 exact copy of your blu ray disc's?

The programs that finished in the top 3 (gold ,silver and bronze awards) only the silver awarded Leawo Blu ray copy program converts to ISO image files.

The good thing about dvdfab Ian is you can easily make full iso's when you link imgburn to bluray ripper - very easy to do . I regularly make m2ts bd file folders with bd ripper that I have linked to imgburn that automatically takes over when fab finishes and gives iso's that playback just like the original disc . :thumbsup:

To save space [depending on the movie ]you can shrink the bd file before the iso is created .; many profiles exist for various applications and you can do a quick one pass conversion or passthrough for speed or a 2 pass for even higher quality if converting to a different codec ;) .

#50 HTPC-Guru

HTPC-Guru

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:14 PM

I have been using Dvdfab bluray copy for a few months now. Hasn't skipped a beat, i just select the main title and the HD audio file. They all work perfectly on my Oppo and i don't have any annoying advertisements or fbi warnings anymore.

Just buy bd-r dl discs off ebay direct from Japan. I just bought a 40 pack of TDK 50GB for a bargain ;)