70 replies to this topic

#1 geezer32

geezer32

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:41 PM

Hey all,

I'm looking for an app that can help me rip my blu collection for storage on my NAS. I'm finding the uncompressed 25-30 gb rips munching up NAS space far too quickly.

I'm looking to compress down to about 12-15gb but keeping as much quality as possible. Prefer to keep HD audio streams intact too.

I already have slyfox and DVDFAB 8. Ive tried using DVDfab and setting the output to DVD9 but the result is shite. Also tried makemkv but it just gives me a mkv the same size as the source m2ts file

Not interested in those methods I've seen that invole using 14 different freeware apps to do it. need a simple all in 1 solution. paid s/w is fine as long as it works

- still waiting for 'Elby clone bluray'.....

#2 com5984

com5984

AV Forum Member

• 2,839 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 03:10 PM

I'll be following this thread closely I'm in the same boat. I have just bought Sony ext blurry for my mbp and want to rip blu collection to nas. I'm currently using handbrake which does a good job with DVD it passes the audio through which is great

Edited by com5984, 15 November 2010 - 03:12 PM.

#3 ajm

ajm

AV Forum Member

• 10,308 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 03:38 PM

This has been covered a few times before but, FWIW, ClownBD seems like the preferred option.

Might seem like a strange answer but have you considered adding more storage? A 2TB drive can be bought for less than $110, an external one for about $130!

Ripping is one thing but getting the movie down in size mean re-encoding and that will take you several hours even with the beefiest of computers. The end result will be reduced in quality, moreso if you keep the audio in it's original format. Whether you can really see the difference will probably depend your display.

Obviously people's needs are different, some people keep backups for the kids to use on a smaller display, but I like to keep it simple and adding a sh!t-tonne of storage is about as simple as it gets.

#4 geezer32

geezer32

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 03:49 PM

This has been covered a few times before but, FWIW, ClownBD seems like the preferred option.

Might seem like a strange answer but have you considered adding more storage? A 2TB drive can be bought for less than $110, an external one for about $130!

Ripping is one thing but getting the movie down in size mean re-encoding and that will take you several hours even with the beefiest of computers. The end result will be reduced in quality, moreso if you keep the audio in it's original format. Whether you can really see the difference will probably depend your display.

Obviously people's needs are different, some people keep backups for the kids to use on a smaller display, but I like to keep it simple and adding a sh!t-tonne of storage is about as simple as it gets.

I don't think HDD space is THAT cheap. I already have a 4 bay Qnap NAS, but with 3 x 2TB drives in a raid-5 which only gives about 3.5TB useable space. I actually think the 1k that the NAS setup cost its actually pretty expensive!

I hear you about the size v's quality but I've seen some pretty good 720p rips that were almost indistinguishable from their blu source. I'm not going to to this for every title I own, premium A/V quality titles like the Avatars etc I will keep as they are, I was thinking of comressing down the more 'shelf filler' titles

I dont mind If it takes all day to do, its not like I'll be sitting there watching it run. I have a decent quad core PC to do it on.

I tried clownbd but from memory it seemed pretty complicated, which is why I was asking a about a more nooby friendly solution

#5 drsmith

drsmith

AV Forum Member

• 3,774 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:33 AM

I don't think HDD space is THAT cheap.

http://www.netplus.c...r-GP-Hard-Drive

With a little effort, ClownBD is easy to use. There are detailed instructions on Slysoft's site. If I buy it in BD quality, I want to watch it in BD quality.

Over time, I have upgraded HDD's as I have needed extra storage and the cost per gb has come down. 250gb followed by 320gb, 500gb and currently 1.5tb in the PC. I don't worry about raid-5. If a drive dies, I lose the data, but it's either backed up on an older HDD outside the PC or on the original disc. That to me is better than, for example, having 6tb of storage and only being able to use 3.5gb of it.

I have found HDD's to be very reliable, but I have gone to some effort to ensure they are well ventilated to ensure cool operation. Standard PC installations of HDD's can be poor in this regard.

#6 50MXE20

50MXE20

AV Forum Member

• 23,206 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:59 AM

As mentioned in other threads Rebuild_BD is another option.

Can compress BDs down to any size BUT be prepared for it to take a long time (12+ hours).

#7 geezer32

geezer32

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 07:15 AM

http://www.netplus.c...r-GP-Hard-Drive

With a little effort, ClownBD is easy to use. There are detailed instructions on Slysoft's site. If I buy it in BD quality, I want to watch it in BD quality.

Over time, I have upgraded HDD's as I have needed extra storage and the cost per gb has come down. 250gb followed by 320gb, 500gb and currently 1.5tb in the PC. I don't worry about raid-5. If a drive dies, I lose the data, but it's either backed up on an older HDD outside the PC or on the original disc. That to me is better than, for example, having 6tb of storage and only being able to use 3.5gb of it.

I have found HDD's to be very reliable, but I have gone to some effort to ensure they are well ventilated to ensure cool operation. Standard PC installations of HDD's can be poor in this regard.

Yes, individual drives are cheap, but I don't agree with you on having no redundancy, I've been in IT long enough to see plenty of sad people who have lost all their data without good backups.
I have no ability to back up this much data, and my time is worth more to me then the expense of adding some redundancy to my data storage.
I hear about once a week somebody saying why can't we have more space on our server I can get a drive from Hravey Norman etc. . Storage is IS cheap but backing it up isn't has anyone priced a LT05 autoloader, can be 50k+

#8 geezer32

geezer32

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 07:18 AM

I'll have a look at clown and BD_rebuilder, I tried handbrake a few time but it seems to want to take 20 hrs to do the job. I've never had the time to let it got for that long. I can hear the PC working when thats running, the CPU temp goes through the roof and the fan cranks up

Edited by geezer32, 23 November 2010 - 07:19 AM.

#9 ajm

ajm

AV Forum Member

• 10,308 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 08:06 AM

I'll have a look at clown and BD_rebuilder, I tried handbrake a few time but it seems to want to take 20 hrs to do the job. I've never had the time to let it got for that long. I can hear the PC working when thats running, the CPU temp goes through the roof and the fan cranks up

Yeah, that sounds about right. Re-encoding these things is a pretty intensive process and, even on the gruntiest PC, will take several hours to do.

#10 50MXE20

50MXE20

AV Forum Member

• 23,206 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:00 AM

Yes, individual drives are cheap, but I don't agree with you on having no redundancy, I've been in IT long enough to see plenty of sad people who have lost all their data without good backups.
I have no ability to back up this much data, and my time is worth more to me then the expense of adding some redundancy to my data storage.
I hear about once a week somebody saying why can't we have more space on our server I can get a drive from Hravey Norman etc. . Storage is IS cheap but backing it up isn't has anyone priced a LT05 autoloader, can be 50k+

The trick is to have a NAS and periodically replaced the HDDs, Then use the old HDDs as a backup for the NAS.
Stick them on an eSATA docking statuion ($45) abd copy away overnight.

The NAS gives you some feeling of safety (Raid 5) for single disk failures but backup covers two.

#11 geezer32

geezer32

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 11:43 AM

The trick is to have a NAS and periodically replaced the HDDs, Then use the old HDDs as a backup for the NAS.
Stick them on an eSATA docking statuion ($45) abd copy away overnight.

The NAS gives you some feeling of safety (Raid 5) for single disk failures but backup covers two.

Had a look at Clown, it only extacts the files, doesnt shrink them at all which is probably why I never used it before. Had a quick look at BD rebuild, it wont see any of the ISO files I have on storage, also seemed odd that the only resize option is has is 'leave original' or set to 24GB. no other choice.
I'll have another look with a physical disk soon, going to the bookase was more trouble than i could muster the other night lol

#12 AndrewW

AndrewW

AV Forum Member

• 14,237 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 11:50 AM

Had a quick look at BD rebuild, it wont see any of the ISO files I have on storage, also seemed odd that the only resize option is has is 'leave original' or set to 24GB. no other choice.

BD Rebuilder can't read isos, you need to rip the raw file structure.

As for the file size, have a look in the options and there is a setting for a "custom" size where you can pick a size of your liking. Note that in my experience this appears to be a "target" rather than a hard limit, I've had it create larger files in some instances (I guess it tries to keep the compression below a certain limit).

#13 50MXE20

50MXE20

AV Forum Member

• 23,206 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 11:57 AM

Had a look at Clown, it only extacts the files, doesnt shrink them at all which is probably why I never used it before. Had a quick look at BD rebuild, it wont see any of the ISO files I have on storage, also seemed odd that the only resize option is has is 'leave original' or set to 24GB. no other choice.
I'll have another look with a physical disk soon, going to the bookase was more trouble than i could muster the other night lol

You need to run a cloning program that allows one to mount the iso files as if they were another device.
Check out 'Daemon Tools Lite'
Or 'Virtual Clone Drive'

Sorry forgot to mention that little tidbit. Then Rebuild_BD works fine.

Edit Add:
Oh yeah and the latest version of DVD FAB has some BD capability that is worth checking out.
Version 8 I think it is.

Edited by 50MXE20, 24 November 2010 - 12:07 PM.

#14 drsmith

drsmith

AV Forum Member

• 3,774 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 06:47 PM

I have redundancy, but as I described above, it's largely in the form of offline HDD's and original BD/HD-DVD disks. The backups are for emergencies only, not access every 5 minutes. Access to backup HDD's is via an external HDD enclosure.

You are correct in that ClownBD boes not shrink the individual files, but significant space savings can be made by removing rubbish such menu's, trailers, extras etc and by stripping the feature film down to essential video/audio/subtitle tracks. If copying from original disc, it's about 1 hour to rip from original disc and less than that to extract main movie with ClownBD.

In 10 years of computer ownership, I have had 10 hard drives, none of which have failed in that time. Most of these drives have an operational life of approximately 2 to 5 years before being relegated to backup offline storage as I upgrade to bigger HDD's. As noted earlier, I do pay attention to HDD cooling within the PC case.

Edited by drsmith, 26 November 2010 - 06:48 PM.

#15 myrantz

myrantz

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,181 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:18 PM

How do I extract the raw audio (2 channel PCM) from a BD into a WAVE file?

Any apps that can do this easily?

#16 Dave_L

Dave_L

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:14 PM

I agree with DrSmith above. Your best redundancy is the original BD discs.

It is more convenient to have a HDD backup but not more cost-effective or space-effective.

I also agree with the other comments about time required to perform encoding. Handbrake probably wanted to take 20 hours to re-encode it because that's how long it might take (particularly if you have the 2-pass option selected), which you would want to do.

Also, what container and codec are you saving your files to ?

Dave

#17 50MXE20

50MXE20

AV Forum Member

• 23,206 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 03:33 PM

drsmith
Dave_L

As inevitable as death and taxes, disks will fail

I have seen a lot of DVDs, BDs and HD-DVD's fail/freeze (or other) for a variety of reasons.
So having the data on a hard drive protects the original investment.
But most of my reason for converting to other formats and storing is for the fun if it.
It's a hobby.

Incidentally if you want to reduce the size of the BD use BD_Rebuild rather than Clown_BD.

Treblid

I am not sure but I seem to remember a lot of the video packages having a variety of output results.
I'd be surprised (without looking) if VideoReDo does not output to a wav file.

#18 Dave_L

Dave_L

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:03 PM

As inevitable as death and taxes, disks will fail

I agree absolutely. This includes both CD/DVD/Bluray discs as well as Hard disc drives.

IMO, a pressed original disc that sits in it's case 99.99% of the time on a shelf is probably less likely to fail than a hard drive that is more often than not operating (to some degree).
My previous post did not say that BD discs were fail-proof, but merely it is as reliable as keeping a copy on a HDD and is more cost & space effective (particularly if you need to continue backing up the backup onto a mirrored-disc and then replacing the HDD's every few years to try and avoid disc failure).

The amount of BD discs (in this instance) that may fail in the future could likely be replaced at most JB stores for less than replacing a HDD, and you'd have to be fairly unlucky to have a heap of discs fail from your library (assuming they are rarely used and are kept in a sensible environment).

I have seen a lot of DVDs, BDs and HD-DVD's fail/freeze (or other) for a variety of reasons.

Were these discs originals or copied discs, and were they used often or did they spend their life just sitting on the shelf (because you had ripped copies on a PC/MC) ?

Touch wood, I have not had an "original" disc fail on me yet....which perhaps is why I am of this opinion ?!?!?

So having the data on a hard drive protects the original investment.

Only if the ripped version is a 1:1 copy of the original....which isn't the case for the OP, who wants to re-encode the BD to a smaller file (and who may possibly follow the suggestions to strip out only the main title, audio and subtitles - losing the menus and extras etc.).

Again, with the original disc, the OP can make another ripped file at any time (and should the original fail, spend less than a new HDD to replace it)

But most of my reason for converting to other formats and storing is for the fun if it.
It's a hobby.

Mine, too. But I don't build in a huge RAID array which is regularly updated to ensure my ripped files aren't lost....but perhaps that's because if I lose them I'll have more fun grabbing the originals off the shelf and re-encoding them all over again :lol:

I should make mention I am not against backing up your ripped files, as I do this like most other people (but for convenience sake/WAF). I don't do it "primarily" for redundancy reasons (though it is sort of a byproduct).

Dave

#19 50MXE20

50MXE20

AV Forum Member

• 23,206 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:57 PM

Were these discs originals or copied discs, and were they used often or did they spend their life just sitting on the shelf (because you had ripped copies on a PC/MC) ?

Originals but probably been played a few times and may have been mishandled by someone.

Occasionally 'as new' that the PC seems to be able to get around but the player does not.

I don't usually make copies of DVDs/BDs.
I won't say I never do but it is not very often.

My rips are mostly 1:1

I guess 4 2Tb drives seems like a big array.
I don't feel it is.
And yes 95% of it is backed up on another HDD as well.

#20 myrantz

myrantz

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,181 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:25 PM

I am not sure but I seem to remember a lot of the video packages having a variety of output results.
I'd be surprised (without looking) if VideoReDo does not output to a wav file.

I just got it to work (hopefully, havn't play 'em yet).. Following this: this (AnyDVD to rip, and TsMuxer to demuxed everything), then use wave editor to split the huge wave file into individual WAVs, then use Foobar to convert them to FLACs, before useing Tag&Rename to IDTag, before copying them to my NAS.... Even as an experiment, it's hard.. :wacko:

Will try VideoReDo next and see if its easier... Hopefully it can RIP a 2 channel audio by chapters (1 chapter per file).. If it can't, at least the above convoulted method works..

#21 com5984

com5984

AV Forum Member

• 2,839 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:59 PM

For any mac users I purchased pavtube bluray ripper, so far pretty good can even do 7 ch sound. It's pretty slow though but quality excellent I usually do 1080p mkv's.
The tech support is brilliant I had an issue when first purchased and I got an answer from a support guy and he just keeps sending me updates and I keep sending him feedback.
I use to use make mkv and handbrake and just wanted a one program fix.

#22 Hi-Fi Whipped

Hi-Fi Whipped

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 03:00 PM

For any mac users I purchased pavtube bluray ripper, so far pretty good can even do 7 ch sound. It's pretty slow though but quality excellent I usually do 1080p mkv's.
The tech support is brilliant I had an issue when first purchased and I got an answer from a support guy and he just keeps sending me updates and I keep sending him feedback.
I use to use make mkv and handbrake and just wanted a one program fix.

I am very interested, was just about to purchase MakeMKV but sounds like you are reducing the size of the BD's through the ripping stage also, if so what sort of size are you getting down too? Are you seeing any noticable picture quality reductions?
Make MKV rips are taking me about 40mins per disc at the original output, what sort of times are you looking at?

May just download the free trial and have a play.

#23 com5984

com5984

AV Forum Member

• 2,839 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 04:08 PM

I am very interested, was just about to purchase MakeMKV but sounds like you are reducing the size of the BD's through the ripping stage also, if so what sort of size are you getting down too? Are you seeing any noticable picture quality reductions?
Make MKV rips are taking me about 40mins per disc at the original output, what sort of times are you looking at?

May just download the free trial and have a play.

You can adjust the Pq to suit whatever file size, it also has usual auto ones like atv, ipod etc. I did the sound of music at high quality and it was about 8gb but it took 7 hours.
The plus side is the PQ and AQ are very good, friends can't believe that it's a ripped copy

#24 geezer32

geezer32

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 07:59 PM

Only problem with Pavtube it like most others doesn't support keeping the HD audio tracks. Otherwise its performance is pretty good. Took about 4 hrs for me to rip down a main movie only bluray to 8gb mkv

Bd rebuilder is the only one ive seen that can keep the original audio but I've never been able to have my pc grinding for 20+ hrs that it takes

#25 Hi-Fi Whipped

Hi-Fi Whipped

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 08:14 AM

You can adjust the Pq to suit whatever file size, it also has usual auto ones like atv, ipod etc. I did the sound of music at high quality and it was about 8gb but it took 7 hours.
The plus side is the PQ and AQ are very good, friends can't believe that it's a ripped copy

Thanks Rob, I may stick with full output size, time is the issue and with HDD storage being so cheap it makes it an easier thing to accept having 30GB files.